• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet Mortal Kombat's First Gay Character

Toxi

Banned
Do not get into a moral discussion here, because each has its, let's just respect.

Just did not want some child exposed to such behavior.
I find it hilarious that's the part of Mortal Kombat X you feel children shouldn't be exposed to.

6cR45zG.gif

Weiss

Banned
Do not get into a moral discussion here, because each has its, let's just respect.

Holy shit, you're actually serious.

This is a game where you can tear a dude's heart out and crush it over your head and let the blood flow down your throat, and that's your problem?

You are a pestilence.

DrBo42

Has to be a troll comment. No one is that ridiculous.

In other news, good on NetherRealm.

Labrys

It's hard to respect the fact that for some reason me and people like me including my partner are "unsuitable" for children. Gay people behave just like anyone else, believe it or don't.

I suppose the woman who eats peoples faces is suitable behavior for children?

Pffft ...... this sounds like some lame form of pandering.

Like when JK Rowlings tried to make Dumbledore gay after the fact. So lame!

Either have a gay character or don't. This half assed implied approach just shows a complete lack of conviction and is nothing more than developer self indulgence.
Please tell me you're joking...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Never thought I'd see the day when Mortal Kombat, of all things, was an example of a progressive game series.

CHC

Alright cool whatever I guess.

Not sure why a character needs to have any sexuality at all in a completely stylized game where you rip out others' ograns, but as a great man once said....

cJk75Ol.gif

Reply #352 to #355 missed my first reply

you read just the second, and the second without the first looks dumb,i agree

Whats your problem SolicitorPirate? You concerned ?

Take care not to infringe the TOS.

Reply #352 to #355 missed my first reply

you read just the second, and the second without the first looks dumb,i agree

Whats your problem SolicitorPirate? You concerned ?

Take care not to infringe the TOS.

So you're concern trolling now? Or what are you trying to do? Is this sarcasm? I have no idea what you're trying to say or argue.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Not sure why a character needs to have any sexuality at all in a completely stylized game where you rip out others' ograns, but as a great man once said....

cJk75Ol.gif

It's part of his character's background and motivation, mentioned indirectly in one line in story mode. How does this translate into "needing" to have sexuality in a fighting game?

Man, I at least congratulate some of the people in this thread on the creativity of their dogwhistles.

Kangi

http://i.imgur.com/cJk75Ol.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Take it up with the multiple characters in the series with [url=http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=160442152]romance subplots and other relationship stuff[/url].

Dremark

Banned
It's part of his character's background and motivation, mentioned indirectly in one line in story mode. How does this translate into "needing" to have sexuality in a fighting game?

Man, I at least congratulate some of the people in this thread on the creativity of their dogwhistles.

He probably just doesn't get the game and views it as nothing more than hyper violence, which is opinion a lot of people in the thread who are pleased with the portrayal are saying.

Let's not jump to conclusions and assume he's saying something he isn't.

It's really cool of Netherrealm to do this. I know some jackholes will squeal about "doing it the right way" or some bullshit, but it's high time gay men receive proper representation in games.

Shit, is there a single gay dude in a fighting game who isn't a completely awful stereotype? Kung Jin's a fucking trailblazer just by virtue of being treated with the same dignity and respect his peers get. Adding to this, MKX being a game with only 3 white dudes in the entire cast, a main female lead, a biracial relationship featuring a Japanese/Vietnamese male and African-American female, and several non-white, non-male characters being featured in prominent roles, and we have a game that sold gangbusters while also being incredibly diverse. Like, somehow, actually featuring non-white dude protagonists didn't fucking implode the universe. Fancy that.

Street fighter II: The World Warrior

This isn't new.

sphinx

the piano man
wow,some days ago I posted I'd main Kung Jin if I buy the game, not knowing he was gay.

he WILL be my main, whenever I get this game.

This isn't new.

Zangief? Vega? both? wasn't it all just teasing?

I don't think the sexual orientation of any SF character has been confirmed by capcom itself, has it?

wildfire

Banned
The "they won't accept" part.... Isn't Kung Jin talking about his past as a dishonorable thief as opposed to a proud warrior like his ancestors?

Where the f does the gay part come from?

I was thinking the same thing at first but it never made sense with the whom your heart desire line. It makes sense now and it's cool how they were subtle like that.

Weiss

Banned

This isn't new.

I meant a character who isn't a giant stereotype of gay men in Japanese culture and who isn't occasionally depicted as surrounded by adoring ladies. Eagle and Poison are basically the only LGBT character in SF history.

This level of dignity, maturity and respect for a character's sexuality in a fighting game? Yeah, this is totally new, except maybe Venom from Guilty Gear and I'm pretty sure they implied he was a pedophile too.

Dremark

Banned
wow,some days ago I posted I'd main Kung Jin if I buy the game, not knowing he was gay.

he WILL be my main, whenever I get this game.

Zangief? Vega? both? wasn't it all just teasing?

I don't think the sexual orientation of any SF character has been confirmed by capcom itself, has it?

Eagle is pretty clearly gay, but his lines were changed outside Japan iirc.

So you're concern trolling now? Or what are you trying to do? Is this sarcasm? I have no idea what you're trying to say or argue.

Want a picture? Read again again again mr sweden.

Since the beginning said that this discussion is useless with that kind of person.

Progressive good, only in music.

How these guys are annoying.

Good night, and not expected to have no reaction to what some groups try to do.

Dremark

Banned
This level of dignity, maturity and respect for a character's sexuality in a fighting game? Yeah, this is totally new, except maybe Venom from Guilty Gear and I'm pretty sure they implied he was a pedophile too.

When did they do that?

Toxi

Banned

Since the beginning said that this discussion is useless with that kind of person.

I told you communing with Mergo was a bad idea.

You're saying words I can understand, unfortunately they're coming out disjointed and in strings that make no sense~

Manu

I know what these words mean separately.

Dremark

Banned
Yeah my bad. I mistook one of his endings from the XX games into something far worse. The one where he adopts the kid who looks like Zato.

All good. In general I think they portay him pretty positively and I genuinely like his character. Not exactly subtle and they do joke around with it a bit (Elphelt's insta-kill comes to mind) but I think he's a pretty positive character personally.

What the fuck is this shit? I make a couple gay puns in the first few pages and come back a couple hours later to see this? Man.

I LITERALLY busted out laughing

Yessssss that's what I'm talkin bout

OH NO, THINK OF THE CHILDREN IN THIS GAME WHERE YOU CAN RIP PEOPLE IN HALF AND WATCH THEIR BRAIN SLUMP OUT! First off this isn't a game for kids, secondly gay people exist and MORE kids should be made aware of that for purposes of acceptance and sexual discovery.

I know what these words mean separately.
I think the fact that gay people exist and so many people are accepting of that broke his brain.

The end-result of having more positive homosexual representation in games is always a good thing, but I'm not really seeing much here. It kind of reminds me of how Dumbledore was outed outside of the canon. In the actual content, there is only the vaguest of hints that could mean a million other things, and the true indicator is the external confirmation by the creators. This type of diversity feels like a mere checkmark in the trivia section, that conveniently won't kick up any dust that could impact sales or publicity. Reminds me a bit of Don't Ask Don't Tell. I would have preferred that little snippet of dialogue contained a male pronoun.

I meant a character who isn't a giant stereotype of gay men in Japanese culture and who isn't occasionally depicted as surrounded by adoring ladies. Eagle and Poison are basically the only LGBT character in SF history.

I don't remember anything about Venom being a pedophile, in his AC+ ending he does adopt an orphaned boy but I don't think it implied anything sexual iirc. He is obviously Zato-sexual though.

Also Zangief is implied to be homosexual according to some people because his bio says he doesn't like pretty girls. Juri always says lewd remarks and gestures to everyone, but it is stated she likes big boobs, so it might be implying she plays both fields. Though it's Capcom, they won't expand on anything really, so take it as you will.

creatchee

In real life, when we meet new people, do we ask their sexual preference right off of the bat? I guess that some people might ask if the other person is married or has a significant other and attach a gender identifier to their query early on in the conversation, but very few people will simply ask if somebody is gay or straight when they are just getting to know them.

Why should that be different in games, or any other art form for that matter?

One's sexuality only really comes up when it is brought up or relevant to a topic at hand. Over the course of Mortal Kombat X's story, there wasn't really any particular instance for the storytelling to blatantly say "OKAY! This guy is gay!" So we are left with the subtle (and kinda brilliant) reveal that actually takes place.

Normalization is way better than making a character's sexuality into a token situation or a bullet point. I'm shocked as hell that Mortal Kombat of all games did something like this in such a respectful and tasteful manner as they did, but it's a very pleasant surprise.

So in addition to being incredibly offensive, you're also incoherent.

Monocle

Whoa, good job NetherRealm. Proof that this studio is capable of tact and sensitivity when needed, contrary to what people could easily assume based on MKX's violent content.

Never thought a Mortal Kombat game would remind me of The Last of Us in terms of subtle storytelling. How in the world could anyone have a problem with this?

Love and attraction aren't "behavior." Gay people exist, and that's not a fact to be hid from children. We're ordinary human beings who want the same things as everyone else.

There's nothing respectable about shunning a group of normal people based on horribly distorted opinions about sexual orientation.

Sai-kun

Banned
The end-result of having more positive homosexual representation in games is always a good thing, but I'm not really seeing much here. It kind of reminds me of how Dumbledore was outed outside of the canon. In the actual content, there is only the vaguest of hints that could mean a million other things, and the true indicator is the external confirmation by the creators. This type of diversity feels like a mere checkmark in the trivia section, that conveniently won't kick up any dust that could impact sales or publicity. Reminds me a bit of Don't Ask Don't Tell. I would have preferred that little snippet of dialogue contained a male pronoun.

So how would you have done it?

SkylineRKR

Its done very well, subtle and hes not a stereotype. They also don't give a fuck. But that such a thing makes headlines is sad really. It shouldn't be an issue. Its just there.

If you are happy with your wife, and another person is happy with his boyfriend... whats the problem anyway?

lmao at not wanting to expose children to that piece of info, instead of the guts being slashed to pieces. That had to be a troll, right? If not, best post of the week.

Top Bottom