• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet Returnal’s Selene Scanned Face Actress Anne Beyer

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
It is common practice these days to digitally scan an actor for a game. Particularly if this character will end up being on screen a lot with a lot of dialog. Housemarque followed this trend and scanned in Anne Beyer in order to give Selene a distinct look.
Selene doesn’t look like most game protagonists, and this is what makes her unique, but on top of this she has the scanned face of Actor Anne Beyer who has appeared in many short films and TV series.
MV5BMjM2M2RhNmMtZTIyNS00OWFjLWJhMzMtNDAyY2M3YTFkZGMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

PgpziprlZMRw_0ZQBLzBLhp9nJthW5QQjHo_Dz_TEYEXVf0peXFl6sXyzne4hrl0gh-SxihCGTQHQypPyaomVlyMpWy6Z0UOtmw9NREWVf6ixP7JuqIOR69Q1dS4hPmv.jpg

MV5BNzczNjMwMDUtZGRlNy00OGMxLWJhMDYtN2NmY2E3M2Q1MWRlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjA4NjE0MjI@._V1_.jpg

Selene-Returnal.jpg

returnal-hands-on-preview.jpg

Selene-Featured-Slider-Size.jpg

Last edited:

kyoji

Selene looks fine, how many "astronaughts" do you know that look like instagram models? but thats what people want.. a samus type of avatar which is fine for metroid but considering the setting for returnal her appearance is just perfect. Also "astronaughts" are almost always middle age due to physical / mental maturity and experience. This game is based off fiction but for me personally it wouldnt feel believeable with a younger looking face.

Great Game btw! its mad early to be talking about this but i hope they will make a sequel along with another project perhaps based in this universe.

Fredrik

Seems like they lost some charm during the scan, maybe it’s common I don’t know, reminds me of when Jessica Chobot was scanned into Mass Effect.

This isn't even a "Meet the actor" lmao this is two sentences with some pictures pulled off Google images?

I would've liked to see an interview with her, but no. Just seems like some weird bait for commentary on appearances.
I agree. This feels like a thread made for the sole purpose to get some weird, manufactured outrage going.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

She's not super attractive, but it doesn't help that her head looks humongous in the suit.

I thought I saw an outfit with a black opaque visor, but maybe I'm wrong.

EDMIX

I'm glad to see some "older" characters in games personally. Not every protag needs to be 28 years old.

Agreed. The medium needs to move on and open up. It would be like expecting every fucking movie to be with teen bop Twilight looking folks as if zero narratives exist with older people.

How the fuck can we tell different stories with dumbasses asking only for 16 year olds or something?

Something like this would not even be able to exist as a game using that stupidass logic

So I have no issue that a developer trying to tell a different story from a perspective a demographic we rarely see in games. Many, many mechanics exist that would really drive home the narrative based on the characters age, as you would not be out here fighting off 100 cops with just your fist, you would not be jumping fences in 1 jump or something etc.

Or even shit like Snake having back pain in MGS4.

Why try to fucking force the same age group in video games when clearly different ages have different challenges that offer different stories to games?

Soooooo Matlock and Jessica Fletcher solving mysteries doesn't fucking mean NO YOUNG PEOPLE can be on tv. I don't know why this simply can't be applied to gaming without people losing their minds as if they've never fucking seen other mediums with different characters before.

MV5BMjM2M2RhNmMtZTIyNS00OWFjLWJhMzMtNDAyY2M3YTFkZGMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

PgpziprlZMRw_0ZQBLzBLhp9nJthW5QQjHo_Dz_TEYEXVf0peXFl6sXyzne4hrl0gh-SxihCGTQHQypPyaomVlyMpWy6Z0UOtmw9NREWVf6ixP7JuqIOR69Q1dS4hPmv.jpg

MV5BNzczNjMwMDUtZGRlNy00OGMxLWJhMDYtN2NmY2E3M2Q1MWRlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjA4NjE0MjI@._V1_.jpg

Selene-Returnal.jpg

returnal-hands-on-preview.jpg

Selene-Featured-Slider-Size.jpg

Looks like someone you absolutely don't want to fuck with. I dig it.

I'd let her choke slam me through a table before smashing. A little pain adds to the pleasure.

Last edited:
Why did they give her some giga-Chad jawline in game?

day series GIF
MV5BNmMxODY1NWItOWQ0OC00NGNmLTk2YjktNzk1ODQ1ZDIzMjkyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzEyNzAwNQ@@._V1_.jpg
Because they also morph the face into the voice actor. So she can control the expressions. Dont hate small-chin person.
This isn't even a "Meet the actor" lmao this is two sentences with some pictures pulled off Google images?

I would've liked to see an interview with her, but no. Just seems like some weird bait for commentary on appearances.

Keihart

Yup, they managed to turn a beautiful woman into an ugly, angry, middle aged lesbian.

That takes A LOT of talent, all hail stuff we can't talk about even though it's obvious that's the reason of this choice.
In what world the ingame model it's worse than the actual actress, what the fuck am i reading .
blink-182 wtf GIF

Top Bottom