• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet Returnal’s Selene Scanned Face Actress Anne Beyer

E0PQiS2UcAI-RyQ
Lol I was thinking of the ms Craig meme when I saw that in game…..looks so out of place in that house

Azurro

Banned
Agreed. The medium needs to move on and open up. It would be like expecting every fucking movie to be with teen bop Twilight looking folks as if zero narratives exist with older people.

How the fuck can we tell different stories with dumbasses asking only for 16 year olds or something?

Something like this would not even be able to exist as a game using that stupidass logic

So I have no issue that a developer trying to tell a different story from a perspective a demographic we rarely see in games. Many, many mechanics exist that would really drive home the narrative based on the characters age, as you would not be out here fighting off 100 cops with just your fist, you would not be jumping fences in 1 jump or something etc.

Or even shit like Snake having back pain in MGS4.

Why try to fucking force the same age group in video games when clearly different ages have different challenges that offer different stories to games?

Soooooo Matlock and Jessica Fletcher solving mysteries doesn't fucking mean NO YOUNG PEOPLE can be on tv. I don't know why this simply can't be applied to gaming without people losing their minds as if they've never fucking seen other mediums with different characters before.

You are incredible, you always reply with these strawmen arguments and voluntarily twist what other people's points are while at the same time insisting nothing is going on. You are basically the Iraqui information minister of videogames.

Having a person that is not the embodiment of an angry Karen doesn't mean that people want a super model. It's not because she's older, clearly the actress is still very attractive despite of her age, Housemarque took her and turned her into a super angry, ugly lesbian because....well, you know the reasons and they have very little to do with narrative variety. You can have a middle aged woman protagonist without having to look like ... that.

Shmunter

Gwendoline Christie

RrviNo6.jpg

Would of been a better choice for that look but I'm not sure the budget.
Yet she looks more manly than I in the show.

Yeah, nah. I’ll take the realism and grit in a dark sci-fi, not red carpet glitz and glamour, makes no sense.

BlackTron

The in game model looks a lot more appealing, not precisely the cool Ripley look, but i get what they were going for. She has more like a wimpy Sarah Connor look.

I disagree 100%. She looks way better IRL. The box art makes her look like shit, and with weird proportions. The way her head fills out the helmet as compared to the rest of her body doesn't really add up, it's unpleasant to look at.

It's not that big a deal to me, but I think they made a mistake making this front and center of the box art. I'm not saying it should look like a Dead or Alive game cover but the actively bad artwork will cost em a few sales.

Miles708

I disagree 100%. She looks way better IRL. The box art makes her look like shit, and with weird proportions. The way her head fills out the helmet as compared to the rest of her body doesn't really add up, it's unpleasant to look at.

It's not that big a deal to me, but I think they made a mistake making this front and center of the box art. I'm not saying it should look like a Dead or Alive game cover but the actively bad artwork will cost em a few sales.

I have to agree here. I don't hide that I'm still turned off by the character appearance (to be clear, I've also didn't play God of War because the protagonist appearance is laughably bad, same for older Crash Bandicoot games) , so I am frankly very surprised to see how beautiful the original actress appear.
If that's an artistic choice, I don't get it.
If it's not, someone should hone their modelling skills.

BlackTron

Why couldn't they have made her a hot anime chick?

They don't want to leave too many sales on the table.

You know, you can't disappoint the long lines of grumpy lesbians waiting eagerly to buy this game, who will reject it if they don't feel like it's really a person JUST like them, in the game.

The potential lost sales, are astronomical!

In reality, all this will do is get them some cred with gaming journalists and metacritic, allowing more exposure of the game to the paying customers who really didn't give a damn to begin with.

Keihart

i'm not even saying that i find the lady attractive, I'm just saying that to me she looks way easier on the eyes in game than real life pictures, so claiming that she was "uglified" or whatever seems like a reach to me.

BlackTron

i'm not even saying that i find the lady attractive, I'm just saying that to me she looks way easier on the eyes in game than real life pictures, so claiming that she was "uglified" or whatever seems like a reach to me.

No need to clarify, I understood exactly what you were saying. Just saying that I disagree 100% that she looks better in-game than real life, to me it is the opposite, by a wide margin too.

Of course art and beauty are subjective.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Didn’t think Sony had it in them anymore.

Kratos is still straight :) Same as Nathan Drake. Actually we know Ellie being a lesbo since the 1st game, with her crush actually being bi not 100% lesbo in the latest game. Overall, if you played the game it only applies to a very tiny part of the game and still merges organically from the director's point of view.

mckmas8808

Banned
I'm guessing this was a photo when she was younger? She seems to look a lot older in the videos.

That would be my guess too. Which is why I'm not sure why people love to talk about her looks so much. She's supposed to be a slightly older women that probably the age of most Gaffers here.

NahaNago

That would be my guess too. Which is why I'm not sure why people love to talk about her looks so much. She's supposed to be a slightly older women that probably the age of most Gaffers here.
I would have figured the age of most gaffers to be around 40 and under and this lady looks to be about 50.

Matsuchezz

The only difference i see between the scan model and the real lady is that one is not wearing make up and the actress is wearing a lot of make Up. And make up does wonders. And she is modeling to look sexy. She is skinny and thus she looks big headed. I like the game model. Not in game that it looks like a man.

Okamiden

Selene looks fine, how many "astronaughts" do you know that look like instagram models? but thats what people want.. a samus type of avatar which is fine for metroid but considering the setting for returnal her appearance is just perfect. Also "astronaughts" are almost always middle age due to physical / mental maturity and experience. This game is based off fiction but for me personally it wouldnt feel believeable with a younger looking face.

Great Game btw! its mad early to be talking about this but i hope they will make a sequel along with another project perhaps based in this universe.
Movies get Sandra Bullock, Anne Hathaway, Natalie Portman, Ryan Gosling and Brad Pitt as astronauts. We, gamers, get this. Seems fair. Good luck with those sales.

Last edited:

kyoji

Movies get Sandra Bullock, Anne Hathaway, Natalie Portman, Ryan Gosling and Brad Pitt as astronauts. We, gamers, get this. Seems fair. Good luck with those sales.
Its a great game receiving GREAT critical acclaim, the game will be fine and will probably receive TONS of GOTY nom's. as they would be well deserved, It doesn't need "luck". Proof is in the pudding.

Top Bottom