• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the New Faces of Nintendo

That article OP linked was great until the author threw in this line:

"Aonuma who has has openly admitted to wanting to work on other things other than Zelda and who in my view, has brought the Zelda series into a continual downward spiral ever since he converted The Legend of Zelda IP into a Saturday morning kids cartoon with The Wind Waker in 2003.

WTF? Wind Waker is the best 3D Zelda and one of the most gorgeous games ever made.

jK7d7Wp.png

Miyamoto reminds me of Patrick Troughton on the 80s:

troughton.jpg

Neiteio

Koizumi is the man. Possibly the most talented individual working at Nintendo. He also has a style and grace that was absent from the other presenters. I'm totally OK with him being a face of the company.

I like Koizumi, we should all like Koizumi.

It would throw the "where are the women" bit out, but it's Nintendo and I know they pretty much just don't exist.

AgeEighty

Codirector of AC NL was a woman I think. Lead composer for Zelda BOTW is a woman. Those 2 come to mind plus many pretty prominent members of the NOA Treehouse.

Koji Kondo seems to be fading into the background at Nintendo the same way Nobuo Uematsu has been doing at Square-Enix.

watershed

Banned
Koji Kondo seems to be fading into the background at Nintendo the same way Nobuo Uematsu has been doing at Square-Enix.

He's been more of a music supervisor than composer for a long while now. These days he contributes a handful of cues to much larger soundtracks for Nintendo's big games. His stuff is still brilliant though and I trust his impact on Nintendo's soundtracks. Whatever they are doing, they've been on their A-game since the Wii generation.

Has Nobuo Uematsu contributed to recent SE games? I thought he was doing smaller stuff for a while now. The Last Story was the last big soundtrack I remember from him, and that wasn't for SE.

I love Miyamotos quote from the time article about how they should have chosen younger people for the presentation.

Still, very happy to see the "new/old" guys getting a more prominent role. Better lwte than never.

Games like Splatoon make me very hopeful about their future games.

Drencrom

You're diminishing the importance of these people who have been with Nintendo for decades.

Huh? My post was just my own sad realization and maybe poorly worded way to say that Iwata basically have been the face of Nintendo for me the last couple of years and no CEO will probably be able to replace him.

AgeEighty

He's been more of a music supervisor than composer for a long while now. These days he contributes a handful of cues to much larger soundtracks for Nintendo's big games. His stuff is still brilliant though and I trust his impact on Nintendo's soundtracks. Whatever they are doing, they've been on their A-game since the Wii generation.

Has Nobuo Uematsu contributed to recent SE games? I thought he was doing smaller stuff for a while now. The Last Story was the last big soundtrack I remember from him, and that wasn't for SE.

His last full soundtrack for Square-Enix was for Final Fantasy XIV 1.0. That soundtrack sadly was replaced for A Realm Reborn (though Masayoshi Soken's tracks have been phenomenal as well), but a few of his tracks are still in the game.

I like Koizumi, we should all like Koizumi.

It would throw the "where are the women" bit out, but it's Nintendo and I know they pretty much just don't exist.

What are you even talking about? Nintendo has female developers/producers. Especially on the Animal Crossing, Yoshi and Chibi Robot teams

NimbusD

I used to think Iwata was a wooden board, so maybe these guys will grow on me too?

Isn't Nintendo eventually going to get a new director?

wrowa

New crowd. Lacking women. Any prominent ladies at NCL/NoE/A?

Emi Watanabe worked as co-producer on Yoshi's Woolly World and presented the game in the E3 2015 Direct. Also worked on the Mario & Sonic games, Kirby's Epic Yarn and Mario Party in the past.

Aya Kyogoku is the producer of Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer and Amiibo Festival. Was director on New Leaf. Also worked on City Folk and Twilight Princess.

Manaka Kataoka is the composer of Breath of the Wild. Before that, she made music for Animal Crossing: New Leaf, City Folk and for Zelda: Spirit Tracks.

Risa Tabata worked as an Assistant Producer on Paper Mario: Color Splash, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and a bunch of other games.

As of FY2015, Nintendo's gender split was 29% female, 71% male.

Uematsu hasn't been an employee of Square Enix for a long time. He started his own company 2004 and worked as a freelancer for a lot of different companies ever since.

Always been a big fan of Koizumi. I think he's probably the only reason that Mario Odyssey exists, as the first open world Mario game since Sunshine. Hope he is given more and more responsibility at the company, and could definitely see him "replacing" Miyamoto as the wise, influential Nintendo game overlord when Miyamoto inevitably retires.

Been following Koizumi closely ever since SMG 1, here's hoping he isn't just delegated to management tasks now and will still get to give direct input and guidance to more games.

Been following Koizumi closely ever since SMG 1, here's hoping he isn't just delegated to management tasks now and will still get to give direct input and guidance to more games.

It seems like he's still a big part of Odyssey (Producer) so I think he'll have some impact, at least, on 3D Mario like he has since he has been involved since being assistant director in SM64 and has been a director for Sunshine and Galaxy and producer since Galaxy 2 and onward.

Top Bottom