• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 10 on NA WW. PSN11/03; XBLA31/03. JPN dates post#1020. Bass & DLC in OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weetrick

Very cool! Now I need to get to it and finally beat MM9. Then I can get excited about 10.

And Sheep Man sounds pretty awesome. I wonder what his weapon will be...

linkboy

Wingwright said:
Very cool! Now I need to get to it and finally beat MM9. Then I can get excited about 10.

And Sheep Man sounds pretty awesome. I wonder what his weapon will be...

Maybe some type of battering ram.

HUELEN10

linkboy said:
Hell, I'm still pissed this never was released

41DESTSSWWL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

You hear me Capcom, finish this game (please).
Sigh...

DSiWare release Capcom, please? I mean, The Domo GBA game came to DSiWare all chopped up, why can't this? :(

Piano

Banned
linkboy said:
I'm fully aware of X6, 7, 8 and Command Mission and if I recall, they all sucked (except for Command Mission, which was ok). There's a reason why the X series took a nose dive after X6.
You think the plot is the reason the X series took a nose dive? Not things like having a giant mechanical onion as a robot master?

linkboy said:
If anything, the ZX series is what they need to go back to.
Yuck, no.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
linkboy said:
Maybe some type of battering ram.
Maybe the article that's linked in the OP explains exactly what it is.

HUELEN10 said:
Sigh...

DSiWare release Capcom, please? I mean, The Domo GBA game came to DSiWare all chopped up, why can't this? :(
Because the Domo GBA games was actually finished.

If I remember correctly, the GBA collection was never released because some/a lot of the source code to the original Game Boy games had been lost.

Nose Master

They say in the first two pages his weapon is a sort of cloud that shoots down a lightning bolt? PS: SO FUCKING EXCITED FGIDJGIJDIJIJF YES!

linkboy said:
Mega Man X5 was supposed to be the last game in the X series. Another development team did X6 while X5 was in development (that's why they came out so close to each other), and Inafune had nothing to do with X6.

At that point, X5 could no longer be the end of the series (even thought it was still intended to be. The plot of that game basically brings the X series to a close, X and Zero fighting each other, which was started in X3). There's a reason why the ending of X5 was going to lead perfectly into the beginning of Mega Man Zero.

Mega Man X5 Story Revision

I'm fully aware of X6, 7, 8 and Command Mission and if I recall, they all sucked (except for Command Mission, which was ok). There's a reason why the X series took a nose dive after X6.

Unlike the original series, the plot was a key point in the X games. The original series is just Wily coming up with some lamebrain plot and Mega Man stopping him. There was a lot more to the plot of the X. It wasn't just X stopping Sigma's plans. It was also about Zero finding out who created him and what his purpose and destiny was.

Just because Capcom made 4 more X games after X5, doesn't mean it wasn't intended to be the end of the series.

Its quite simple, play X-X5 and you'll see that the story arc is tied up perfectly. X6 is the game that jacked this all up. Zero was originally going to be killed and then revived for Mega Man Zero. However, with X6 coming out, that was changed so that he went into hibernation.

I'm not looking at this from a player POV, I'm looking at this from Capcom (and Inafune's POV). There's no reason for them to go back to the X series. The main story arc is tied up, the Zero games are tied up.

They could still release an X game to cover the Elf Wars. I really wish they would and retcon X7 and X8.

Zen

Banned
linkboy said:
Mega Man X5 was supposed to be the last game in the X series. Another development team did X6 while X5 was in development (that's why they came out so close to each other), and Inafune had nothing to do with X6.

At that point, X5 could no longer be the end of the series (even thought it was still intended to be. The plot of that game basically brings the X series to a close, X and Zero fighting each other, which was started in X3). There's a reason why the ending of X5 was going to lead perfectly into the beginning of Mega Man Zero.

Mega Man X5 Story Revision

Unlike the original series, the plot was a key point in the X games. The original series is just Wily coming up with some lamebrain plot and Mega Man stopping him. There was a lot more to the plot of the X. It wasn't just X stopping Sigma's plans. It was also about Zero finding out who created him and what his purpose and destiny was.

Just because Capcom made 4 more X games after X5, doesn't mean it wasn't intended to be the end of the series.

Its quite simple, play X-X5 and you'll see that the story arc is tied up perfectly. X6 is the game that jacked this all up. Zero was originally going to be killed and then revived for Mega Man Zero. However, with X6 coming out, that was changed so that he went into hibernation.

I'm not looking at this from a player POV, I'm looking at this from Capcom (and Inafune's POV). There's no reason for them to go back to the X series. The main story arc is tied up, the Zero games are tied up.

From a narrative standpoint I agree with you, but X8 is one of the very best games in the series, and frankly x5 was a mess of a game (not that X6-7 were any better).

I would also love for them to go back to the ZX series. I loved the Zero series and felt that the ZX series, minus the open-world element, was pretty great. I loved messing around with the HX and OX models.

Choppasmith said:
Weird, because I see what you're saying about MM7 and 8 being "heavier" than the 8Bit Games, but MMX has always felt a lot faster to me with the dashing and wall-jumping.
Well, to be fair, I didn't really play the games in the X series as much as other series', and I played them not very recently. My vision of them is probably warped, I should revisit them.

Also, I played Megaman Zero prior, and I was probably expecting something similar when I played the X series.

beelzebozo said:
ah, yeah, you're right. plenty of jokers on this forum think LINK'S AWAKENING is the best zelda. so, they should definitely make it look like a game boy game.
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but thinking about it, I'd love this. :lol For me, it has less to do with the system and more about the mechanics or engine. For instance, if Nintendo made NES style Zelda or Metroid, but instead of basing it on the (what I feel are antiquated) originals, make completely new games like they would have been made late in the NES era, I'd wholeheartedly look forward to them.

However, since they'd likely try to play with nostalgia, they would probably end up basing it on the originals.

RaidenZR

Host Samurai said:
I have been thinking for the past few years esp since Capcom is making new NES games. Why doesn't Capcom revive their arcade line with new games running on CPS2 or CPS3 hardware? The ground work is already down and all they would have to do is create the sprites. We can get a new Final Fight or Forgotten Worlds easily and it would be EASY money for Capcom.

I cant even begin to imagine a new Final Fight on CPS3. That would be so sick and the engine was barley used. If anybody is in charge of that department DO IT cuz you would make loot.

The money and talent required to produce the detail and animations of those CPS2 and CPS3 games is no longer available. Especially relegating these to the arcades, it'd be suicide. The market and developers for this have moved on to other things and other companies (look at the sales of Mega Man ZX, Castlevanias, Contras on DS) This is the reason games like SF4, Rocket Knight, console-castlevanias get farmed out and done up in more palatable-to-the-masses-3D. 2D visuals, however charming, lush, and fluid that they can be, are perceived as old shit and this industry frowns at, spits on, and curb stomps that. This game industry embraces and publicizes the shiny, new, and cutting edge, no matter what the cost.

Unless something has been pushed so far down it comes back on top in some sort of chic-style nod like the retro love seen here for Mega Man. In which case, if that happens for CPS 2 and 3 games, then that's a ways off still.

But it probably won't.

Perdew

I still don't really understand the ZX hate... what the screwed up with the first they generally cleaned up for the second and they were fun.

I remember when people got excited about MM9 I was thinking how they were just going to milk this with a ton of releases in the same style. But having Protoman being an actual character could make things interest... unless they Rockman and Forte it up and have some levels be completely unplayable with some characters.

I also hope the 3rd playable character is X, so it's more confusing about the MMX is MM10 situation!

Hmm, I would prefer an X9, or MM Powered Up 2 to this, really.

X4 was the last really good MMX. 5-6 were decent. 8 I couldn't finish, the levels had too many gimmicks and two vehicle levels were horrible. Haven't played 7, but I hear it sucks anyway.

I still wonder why they haven't whored MMPU and Maverick Hunter X to download services, seeing as this is Capcom and all. Maybe we would have continuation of those series if they did.

As for ZX3, I still haven't played the first one so I don't mind not having it. Enjoyed Advent even if it's not MM highest point.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
entrement said:
Did anyone even beat MM9? LOL.
Yes, Hero Mode as well. Never got around to downloading Super Hero Mode though.

WTF I had no idea GAF considered the game to be so hard. I've been frustrated by many other "lesser" games this gen to a much higher degree.

jarosh

oh my shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

yes
yes
yes
yes
YES

way late i know. probably the best announcement of 2009 though. goty 2010 etc. FUCK YES!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I didn't finish MM9 because having to do the whole stage again after losing all your lives with Wily is not my definition of fun.

It also sucks that you cannot save mid-fortress.

duckroll said:
The game wasn't that hard, only losers couldn't finish MM9. Most people did.

Red Scarlet said:
I need to try and finish 9..I beat I think 2 or 3 ROBOT MASTERS.

Shots fired!

Magnus

I've done just fine at almost all of the existing 2D Mega Man (and MMX) games across all the systems, but MM9 schooled the living fuck out of my friends and I. We only tried for a few hours, but gave up in frustration after only being able to kill 2 robot masters (I can't even remember which ones they were now).

Still, I loved it, and love the series, and am immensely pleased 10 is on the way.

I think it's been nearly a year; I'm going to go back to 9 and try it again soon.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
:(

I really wanted to like mm9 but it was just soo frustrating with stupid death traps that you are forced in.

So I thought this is just me being old, I remember finished mm2 easy peazy when I was a wee kid, so I popped mm2 in and who wouldve known I can still finish that game like its nothing. But fucking 9 man, busting my balls :(

Darkpen

Banned
lol, wow, Sheep Man? Are the Bob and George webcomics still around? That's just asking for a sex joke.

Also, I'd rather hear about Megaman Legends 3 :<

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Darkpen said:
lol, wow, Sheep Man? Are the Bob and George webcomics still around? That's just asking for a sex joke.

The comic ended years ago. It also had the lamest finale ever.

It peaked with the MM5 parody anyway.

yurinka

I loved Mega Man 9. Day 1!

FrostuTheNinja said:
Fine fine fine... I'll post in this one too...

Good news to hear that Capcom is "listening" to fans.

Capcom, listen to this... Trojan.
I think with this avatar you would prefer another game. It would be a safer bet ;)

Piano

Banned
Perdew said:
I still don't really understand the ZX hate... what the screwed up with the first they generally cleaned up for the second and they were fun.
Really? I only played the second and assumed the first one must have been a more cohesive experience since it received so much positive word of mouth. That map system...jesus christ.

Darkpen

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
The comic ended years ago. It also had the lamest finale ever.

It peaked with the MM5 parody anyway.
oh, I didn't know it ended D: I stopped reading them around 2003 or 4.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Will buy!

It took me a while to get into Mega Man 9, but once I had my groove back I loved the game to death.

wow @ the 8-bit hate here
I, for one, am excited that they keep it 8 bit. It's just so "pure".

I just hope they make it a bit harder than MM9, please

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Mega Man 10... Sheep Man, eh? Not sure about this one. On the one hand, I could really use some originality and variety in my robot masters. On the other hand, Sheep Man doesn't sound cool or menacing, unlike, say, Snake Man. I get a cheesy vibe —the bad kind of cheese, à la Mega Man 6— from this new robot master. Plus I don't want Capcom to start the yearly releases thing all over again. I don't trust them to keep the quality up. If 10 ends up being to Mega Man 9's what 2 was to 1 though (or what 3 was to 2), I might get on board just this once.

Please, no useless, broken bullshit like the shop though. It's never been an integral part of the games, and it was never remembered to be an improvement to the series, unlike the password system. No female robot masters just for the sake of it too: if you put one in, make it badass. Most important, kickass music. Don't screw up the Wily Stages like you did in 9. The music in Wily Stage 1 was such a letdown. As generic as could be for Mega Man standards. Bleh.

AND NO DLC FOR CHRIST'S SAKE. I won't get your stupid 300-point pseudo-infinite mode this time. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

As a side note, I feel bad: after seeing what Super Mario Bros. looks like when you give it the current-gen treatment (NSMB Wii), I kind of wish Capcom would try "New Mega Man". This comes from a staunch proponent of 8-bit, 4:3-style Mega Man. Heck, I even wonder what multiplayer Mega Man would be like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom