• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 9 confirmed by OFLC

SCReuter said:
Going back to the previous page for a moment...

Mega Man 6 is definitely the weakest of the NES installments, agreed.

Aside from feeling a bit spiritless in stage, boss and weapon design, I've always had an issue with Mega Man's slide maneuver in 6. For some reason Capcom decided to eliminate the ability to freely jump out of the move at any time, which as a result made it easier for players like myself to accidentally skid into bottomless pits and spikes, as well as made Mega Man feel like he was oftentimes magnetized to the ground.

One other quip I have, and I admit this is totally nitpicking, is with the game's color palette:

Pretty ugly.

Heh... NES games often had pretty limited palettes, but the sixth one was perhaps a bit less imaginative. If only they had actually cared... :(

I don't remember that about sliding, though.

This is where we part ways, I'm afraid.

- Mega Man 4's soundtrack is probably the worst of the series.
- Some stages I find to be stale and chintzy looking, particularly Ring Man (possibly the lamest boss ever), Dive Man and Skull Man's.
- Mega Man's charge shot wasn't quite perfected yet, and...
- Levels can be on the long side at times.

If I were to rank the NES titles in order from best to worst it'd either go 2, 3, 5, 1, 4, 6 or 2, 3, 1, 5, 4, 6.

I will admit to being somewhat biased because MM4 was the first Mega Man game I ever played... I didn't have a NES during its lifespan, and MM4 was the one my friend had.

Of course, the first MM game I bought was "MM3" for PC, and... well... I don't exactly have strong nostalgia for that. :D My first real MM game was MM4 for GB (though I got MM1 for GB shortly afterwards) and they were both great, though... so yeah, nostalgia is one part of why I love MM4, and great gameplay and design is the other part.

Hmm, order... 4, 2, 1, 3, 5, 6. :) It's easy to rank 2, 4, and 6, but the other three are harder... they could perhaps go in any order, but that order's okay I guess. 5 is good, but not as good as the previous 4 really, despite some interesting levels. 3 isn't as good as 1, 2, or 4. 1 is a classic... more fun played in one of the later versions of the game where you can save, though, as opposed to the NES.

As for (more on) MM4, my feelings on some of those points are the opposite...

Music: Probably my favorite soundtrack in the series. MM1 and 2 have exceptional soundtracks too, certainly, but perhaps it's partially nostalgia for the fourth one (that is part of it I'm sure), but I really love MM4's soundtrack. Ring Man, Pharaoh Man, Toad Man... awesome stuff, just awesome. :)

Ring Man's level is great... the disappearing platform thing in Ring Man's stage is cool. Pharaoh Man's level is awesome too though... Dive Man's a bit more average, but it does have good music, and water levels are always kind of iffy. I like Skull Man's level too despite its average design, but that that's one of the first Mega Man things I ever played, I believe, and I still love the stage. And it does have an interesting theme. Not the best MM level ever, but a fun one.

Didn't get far enough to unlock Wily Tower, but yeah, the originals are better than the remakes.

Would've still like to have seen the compilation officially released in North America though.

I never played it much either... but yeah, Sega not wanting to release it on cart? That just doesn't make sense... I understand that they wanted some Sega Channel exclusives, but it lost us Alien Soldier, Pulseman, and Mega Man: The Wily Wars on cart, which is pretty sad. :(

SonicMegaDrive said:
I played Mega Man 5, quite extensively.

The soundtrack is so....quiet compared to all of the other NES Mega Mans.

And why do you get a 1-up every 6 enemies killed? Seriously.

The whole game feels a tad uninspired compared to the previous entries. It's not bad. But just not quite as good as Mega Man 4. Which wasn't nearly as good as Mega Man 3, which was just slightly not as good as Mega Man 2.

So you can see where the series has gone.

All of them are great games, but the later sequels feel like they're a little 'cheaper' compared to the first 3 or 4.

Yeah, really. You get so many extra lives in that game it's kind of ridiculous... and absolutely agreed about the music, too. It's just not as interesting and inspired as the music from the previous four games. 4 has such awesome music, but 5 just doesn't... a few are good, but that's all. The earlier ones were better. 5 does have some cool stages though... Gravity Man, the train stage, etc... some clever stuff there.

HUELEN10

Whimsical Phil said:
Fake as the day is long. I would wager 1000 permabans on it.
I dunno. I personally think it is fake, but until we have proof to prove it is, I still wanna leave it on the table. A lot of leaked things turn out to be true.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
HUELEN10 said:
I dunno. I personally think it is fake, but until we have proof to prove it is, I still wanna leave it on the table. A lot of leaked things turn out to be true.
This will not turn out to be true. Guaranteed.

TreIII

HUELEN10 said:
Back to the screenshot, is there any proof it is fake?

There's a good deal of things that smell like a rat in this case, and a fellow at RPM had this to say, as we trace over the message that the "tipster" gave to RPM's owner:

UZO @ RPM said:
"I'm a beta tester for Capcom"

He doesn't use industry terms. Beta tester is a word founded by the gamer community. The correct industry term is QA(Quality Assurance). However, there are some QA who do only deal with beta phase software. Even then, the term is still QA.

"they check you for cameras every time before you go into the room to play."

False. You sign a non disclosure of proprietary information agreement. For further proof see the CapcomUnity development blogs.

TreIII's note: Obviously, Capcom can't control what individuals may do. But if a screenshot was released, it would be much easier for Capcom to do more to track down said individual and rake him across the coals for not honoring the NDAs.

"I want to just send it to you guys because I don't want it to get too much attention (Which is why I'm not sending it to Kotaku, or 1-Up.)."

Yeah, don't give it much attention, just send it to one of the biggest Megaman fansites on the net.

"The graphics are in the 8-bit sprite style, but not the classic Famicom/NES one."

False. There are console regulations to what you can and cant do for a console otherwise it will never be approved (yes, approval is required) to be sold for the console. Microsoft and Sony (and even Nintendo) have regulations against fully '8bit' games that are not ports.

"The game doesn't support full wide screen YET, but it will."

The killing shot. In the game industry "beta" has a special and interesting place in the development cycle. Allow me to explain;

Pre-Alpha :: The game has not implemented all features.
Alpha :: All game features have been implemented to some degree.
Beta :: The game is >> COMPLETED << and further QA and fixes are ONLY to eliminate bugs

He claims the game is in Beta. He claims to be a Beta Tester. However, he also says that wide screen has not been implimented. Thats proof hes a liar and a fake.

If this game was in beta, the widescreen would have been long since implemented. In fact, the way games are made, it would have had to be implemented in pre-alpha.

End of story.

The truth about Rockman 9 is out there. Maybe the dude known as "Shadow" knows something, or at the least, he hasn't completely slipped up like the guy who submitted this picture (yet).

But one thing's for certain. The truth? It more than likely ain't in this screen shot. The guy's story just doesn't add up.

HUELEN10

TreIII said:
One thing's for certain. The truth? It more than likely ain't in this screen shot. The guy's story just doesn't add up.

Wow, the whole pre-alpha widescreen thing makes this look like BS. I personally thin it is fake, and now I am not even gonna leave it on the table.

re: the supposedly fake screenshot .... i understand that the game is supposed to look "retro" and all. but why would they use 8-bit graphic tricks like making the background all black. and notice the multiple tiles they use for the ground. i don't think the game would be that stupidly archaic

I say fake for one reason: solid black background. I'm pretty sure Capcom knows this isn't 1989 anymore. Game consoles, even the Wii, can support color animated backgrounds with multiple layers of scrolling.

Plus, it's blurry as shit. I paid $50 for a shitty digital camera a couple years ago and even THAT takes better photos.

bluemax

Banned
SCReuter said:
Going back to the previous page for a moment...

Mega Man 6 is definitely the weakest of the NES installments, agreed.

Aside from feeling a bit spiritless in stage, boss and weapon design, I've always had an issue with Mega Man's slide maneuver in 6. For some reason Capcom decided to eliminate the ability to freely jump out of the move at any time, which as a result made it easier for players like myself to accidentally skid into bottomless pits and spikes, as well as made Mega Man feel like he was oftentimes magnetized to the ground.

One other quip I have, and I admit this is totally nitpicking, is with the game's color palette:

Pretty ugly.

This is where we part ways, I'm afraid.

- Mega Man 4's soundtrack is probably the worst of the series.
- Some stages I find to be stale and chintzy looking, particularly Ring Man (possibly the lamest boss ever), Dive Man and Skull Man's.
- Mega Man's charge shot wasn't quite perfected yet, and...
- Levels can be on the long side at times.

If I were to rank the NES titles in order from best to worst it'd either go 2, 3, 5, 1, 4, 6 or 2, 3, 1, 5, 4, 6.

Would've still like to have seen the compilation officially released in North America though.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. I think 6 is kind for normal bosses but the Wily Castle stages are so fucking awesome that its a must play. Easily the best Wily Castle in the series.

I can't remember which of 4 and 5s soundtrack I dislike more. I know there is one of them that sounds so far and away different from the rest of the NES games that it just feels wrong.

Didn't get far enough to unlock Wily Tower, but yeah, the originals are better than the remakes.

Gilgamesh

Sega1991 said:
I say fake for one reason: solid black background.
It could be possible the background was black if it was a pre-alpha build, but the guy said he was a beta tester, and as my friend UZO gladly pointed out, beta is only when all of the features are implemented and going through debugging.

Link1110

SCReuter said:
Bah! Bah, I say!

If that were to have happened, you would have still ended up with an incompetent port thanks to Atomic Planet's involvement. I mean, just look at how the Anniversary Collection version of Mega Man 7 turned out, what with its blurry picture, added slowdown, sound irregularities, and entire scenes removed (hey, where'd the ending go?).
MM7's last boss is so hard, even the QA testers couldn't beat it. :D

Tyrone Slothrop said:
but why would they use 8-bit graphic tricks like making the background all black.

I've been wishing for the return of single colored backgrounds in 2d games since the death of the NES era. I hope Capcom has the balls to do it.

Gilgamesh said:
It could be possible the background was black if it was a pre-alpha build, but the guy said he was a beta tester, and as my friend UZO gladly pointed out, beta is only when all of the features are implemented and going through debugging.

I've seen a fairly large number of game betas in my time and this is very, very rarely the case. Generally speaking, a graphics set is completed BEFORE building the level - this includes background artwork.

Gilgamesh

megaman9ssv7.png

Fake.

TreIII

Yeah, it was a hoax, a nice lil gag conjured up by a relatively new user "BlackBeltDude", and supposedly incited by Zan.

So, any way, like I said, we're basically still left with the OFLC report, as well as "TheShadow", if you choose to believe him.

The quest continues. :lol

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
TreIII said:
For instance, 7's OST really didn't do anything for me. The few tracks it did have that I really liked would, in my opinion, go on to be remixed in better form in other game releases (like 8 or the Arcade games), such that 7's OST would become largely of little consequence in my eyes.

In general, I think you're right in saying that Mega Man 7's OST wasn't particularly great, but I did like the intro stage music and Burst Man's stage. Also, the Robot Museum stage had a few great remixes of some classic themes; namely, Guts Man's stage, Heat Man's stage, and Snake Man's stage. It's just too bad that the Robot Museum was just a glorified boss arena and not a full-fledged stage. An entire level with that music playing would have been epic. :D

Gagaman

Yeah, there's "going back to your roots" and there's er...pretending the new game is actually running on a NES? No way would Capcom go as far as to even use the kind of limitations in background and colour palette that the NES games had as a style choice.

The only blurry photos I even trust a little of so called new games are ones you see of japanese arcade tests. Otherwise, NO ONE has a camera that bad anymore. My mobile phone is pretty old and takes better photos than that. :lol

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Zerodoppler said:
I've been wishing for the return of single colored backgrounds in 2d games since the death of the NES era. I hope Capcom has the balls to do it.
wh...what? why are you insane?

Iam Canadian

Gilgamesh said:

That robot enemy is just spliced together from other enemies in the games, anyway. The tail is clearly just a giant snake enemy from Snake Man's stage, and I know I've seen that dragon head somewhere, too. The body just looks like it's comprised of stage tiles.

Caj814

Iam Canadian said:
That robot enemy is just spliced together from other enemies in the games, anyway. The tail is clearly just a giant snake enemy from Snake Man's stage, and I know I've seen that dragon head somewhere, too. The body just looks like it's comprised of stage tiles.

BUT

Would you really put it past Wily to copy and paste his old robots into that Chimera? :lol

Iam Canadian

Caj814 said:
BUT

Would you really put it past Wily to copy and paste his old robots into that Chimera? :lol

I suppose not. The old madman's been getting kind of cheap lately. I mean, he dug Tengu Man and Astro Man out of the trash heap for Mega Man and Bass instead of creating new Robot Masters. I guess the economy is hard on everyone.

And let's not even get into the Game Boy games. Try to defeat Mega Man by mixing and matching old Robot Masters, why not?

TreIII

Iam Canadian said:

Dragon-head looks like a Wheel Gator composite. If true, he's not even from the right series of games. :lol

And let's not even get into the Game Boy games. Try to defeat Mega Man by mixing and matching old Robot Masters, why not?

Hey, cut Wily some slack! For the GB games, he actually did go through the trouble of crafting new "rivals" for Rock to fight. Guys like Enker, Quint, Punk, Ballade (awesome!) and Terra, not to mention an entirely different cast of dudes for Rockman World 5 (MM5 GB). :D

Iam Canadian

TreIII said:
Hey, cut Wily some slack! For the GB games, he actually did go through the trouble of crafting new "rivals" for Rock to fight. Guys like Enker, Quint, Punk, Ballade (awesome!) and Terra, not to mention an entirely different cast of dudes for Rockman World 5 (MM5 GB). :D

I'm not bashing the Game Boy rivals, those guys were awesome. Like I said earlier, I'm very fond of Quint, because you simply cannot go wrong with a pogo-stick jackhammer. There's just no way.

I'll admit, I actually liked the way you could see how well weapons would work on Robot Masters from different games in the Game Boy series. I just wish the remixing in the Game Boy games didn't follow such a linear "Mega Man 1-5" progression"; it would have been awesome if each Game Boy game was a total random grab bag of Robot Masters from the NES games. I demand to know if the Star Crash would work on Drill Man. D:

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
HUELEN10 said:
People say this is fake.

Why do you say it is fake? I there anything out there that proves this is fake? If not, can't we call it a possible screen?

Shitty off-the-tv shots are always fake.

I wish they were taking fan submissions for Robot Masters still. Some entries back in the day were truly hilarious, and I would relish the chance to see what kids come up with today.

...or wait, do kids still play the Mega Man?

Bourbon Cowboy said:
I wish they were taking fan submissions for Robot Masters still. Some entries back in the day were truly hilarious, and I would relish the chance to see what kids come up with today.

They were for the Battle Network series. I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing it for the ZX series now too?

TreIII

Bourbon Cowboy said:

Yeah, they do. The fact that sales for Rockman Rockman (Mega Man Powered Up) spiked a number of months ago, following the PSP getting slimmed down and price dropped, proved that people still love Classic Rockman. They just needed an incentive to be able to buy his game on a portable system that they formerly didn't care about. (Monster Hunter definitely helped in this regard. :D)

Hell, in some respects, I think the Rockman fan base was more livid with the idea about how there hasn't been a NEW classic game more than we have. Ideally, Capcom finally listened, and Rockman 9 may be that game that, much along the lines of New SMB, Pac-Man CE and Space Invaders Extreme, be one that marries the classic style with some stylish enhancements.

haha no... mine didn't get featured. my parents had to console me for days. and the thing is my submission was "spring man" and that was a few good years before mega man 7.

TreIII

Tyrone Slothrop said:
haha no... mine didn't get featured. my parents had to console me for days. and the thing is my submission was "spring man" and that was a few good years before mega man 7.

Heh, interesting...I remember a couple of my pals tried submitting entries as well, and they didn't get in either...though at least one of them basically submitted joke entries like "Hole Man", who would create a bottomless pit for Rockman to fall into. :lol

Really? My submission for Mega Man 6 was this character called Bass who had a robot dog called Treble who were basically evil mega man and evil rush.. So they got you too Tyrone.. THE BASTARDS.

Class action?

Teknoman

The Mighty Schwein said:
Really? My submission for Mega Man 6 was this character called Bass who had a robot dog called Treble who were basically evil mega man and evil rush.. So they got you too Tyrone.. THE BASTARDS.

Class action?

Would be funny if that actually happened :lol

What still strikes me as strange is that they call em Bass and Treble, not "Base" and Treble. They actually say Bass like the fish.

Oh and Megaman 5 had some GREAT music:

Wave Man

Gyro Man (The remix and the original sound excellent)

Napalm Man (same here)

Does that Megaman Music appreciation topic still exist?

Iam Canadian

Teknoman said:
Would be funny if that actually happened :lol

What still strikes me as strange is that they call em Bass and Treble, not "Base" and Treble. They actually say Bass like the fish.

They only pronounced it that way in Mega Man 8, which had some of the most infamously bad voice acting ever.

Teknoman

Iam Canadian said:
They only pronounced it that way in Mega Man 8, which had some of the most infamously bad voice acting ever.

:lol Now that you mention it...that is the only classic Megaman game that had voice acting, Bass and Treble in the same game.

Yeah that was horrible though...Dr Light sounded like Elmer Fudd. Anyway here's hoping Bass and Treble are in as well. And I really hope they use the same Powered Up actor for Megaman.

EDIT: Also I demand they bring back the classic theme song as the title screen for MM IX.

A Black Falcon said:
X4's was worse.
No way dude, MM8's voice acting was legendary, much in the same way as MM1's cover art. I can't even remember what the voice acting in X4 was like, but if it was anywhere near as bad I would have remembered it.

goldenpp72

anyone who thinks MM8 had better VA over mmx4 should be instantly banned, I mean thats like saying gears of war has more colorful graphics then viva pinata. MMX4 had mediocre voice work but MM8 had the most terrible voice work ever, they studdered, mumbled, pronounced things wrong and didnt even have the gender down right at spots.

Teknoman

goldenpp72 said:
anyone who thinks MM8 had better VA over mmx4 should be instantly banned, I mean thats like saying gears of war has more colorful graphics then viva pinata. MMX4 had mediocre voice work but MM8 had the most terrible voice work ever, they studdered, mumbled, pronounced things wrong and didnt even have the gender down right at spots.

I cant say I didnt like the Robot Master voices though. They kinda fit.

Iam Canadian

I don't think anything in Mega Man 8 is quite as bad as "WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOORRRRR?????!!!!".

Not only were the Robot Masters' voices weird, but so were their personalities. I mean, you had the incredibly flamboyant Aqua Man, the masochistic Grenade Man ("That felt GOOD!"), and the schizophrenic Search Man, years before Ice Man did the same gimmick in Powered Up. That being said, these personalities were certainly a step up from the bland Mavericks in the X series, all of whom tend to fall into three broad categories: the "I want to fight X/Zero and die a warrior's death" Mavericks, the "kill me before the virus consumes me" Mavericks, and the completely psychotic "BURN BURN BURN TO THE GROUND BURN BURN TO THE GROUND" Mavericks.

Top Bottom