• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 9 now up on WiiWare (67blocks)/PSN(Now)/XBLA(10/1). ProtoM DLC $2 next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaweee

Member
Eteric Rice said:
Honestly, the game is hard enough as it is. Adding extra difficulty would probably be for the people who are godly at Megaman.

It says that it increases the number of enemies, which is curious. As the game exists now, you only ever face as many enemies as you would in the NES version. However, with the increased difficulty... I wonder. An absolute crapload of enemies at once is something that hasn't really been done in the Mega Man series. How will it function if you have screen flicker on?
 

Anony

Member
oh wow, this is complete bullshit
MM9 on wii doesnt render in progressive mode and i have my wii hooked up via vga to crt monitor so i cant play it
willl/does 360 and ps3 output MM9 at 480i? if it doesnt, this is the most messed up version out of the three
 
Pedobear said:
Like I said, compositions. The songs themselves are much better than the MM2 soundtrack.

That says WAY more to most people than it may mean to you. MM2 is on my top 3 soundtracks of all time...how could 9 be better?
 
Anony said:
oh wow, this is complete bullshit
MM9 on wii doesnt render in progressive mode and i have my wii hooked up via vga to crt monitor so i cant play it
willl/does 360 and ps3 output MM9 at 480i? if it doesnt, this is the most messed up version out of the three

I thought it was 480p? It's actually 480i?
 
D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
_leech_ said:
I thought it was 480p? It's actually 480i?
480i. I wonder if turning legacy mode off will run it in 480p tho...let me check

Edit nope
 
I just completed Galaxy Man's stage while jumping only 37 times, but the game didn't give me the "50 jumps or fewer while completing a stage" achievement. Do you have to beat the boss as well to get the achievement or something? The only other thing I can think of is if it counted each time I went through a teleporter as a separate jump, and I somehow managed to go through the teleporters enough times to push me over 50.
 
Superblatt said:
That says WAY more to most people than it may mean to you. MM2 is on my top 3 soundtracks of all time...how could 9 be better?

As amazing as MM2 soundtrack is, I just played through it for the first time yesterday prior to MM9 and overall I feel like MM9's soundtrack is stronger.

So that's an opinion coming from someone who has played both games for the first time back to back with no nostalgia biasing my decision. My 2 cents.

Of course it could just be different people prefer different music.
 

markatisu

Member
Just downloaded it and its looks beautiful, I wont mind buying the DLC as I have had 200 Wii Points sitting on my account for months and have never had a reason to use them (the result of buying all that MLAAK DLC a few months back)

And mine is running at 480i as well, I know you can force the Wii to step down from 480p to 480i using the wiimote (its the only way I can play Neo Geo games) but can you force it to up?
 

MoxManiac

Member
Anyone else having some (very) minor pixel glitching in the lower left corner during MM9? I thought maybe my wii's GPU was going, but I tried Mario Galaxy and that seemed fine.

Also, I wonder what made them decide to make it so hard? MM2 is easy as fuck and they've been basing so much of their inspiration from that game. Not that i'm complaining, I like the difficulty.
 

Sidzed2

Member
Just wondering if anyone could let me know whether it's worth me buying this when it pops up on PSN - since I have never beaten a Mega Man game (almost beat X and ZX) and never played any of the original series.

Do I even stand a chance, i suppose is the question I am asking?
 
D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
MoxManiac said:
Anyone else having some (very) minor pixel glitching in the lower left corner during MM9? I thought maybe my wii's GPU was going, but I tried Mario Galaxy and that seemed fine.

Also, I wonder what made them decide to make it so hard? MM2 is easy as fuck and they've been basing so much of their inspiration from that game. Not that i'm complaining, I like the difficulty.
Try turning off Legacy Mode
 
D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Sidzed2 said:
Just wondering if anyone could let me know whether it's worth me buying this when it pops up on PSN - since I have never beaten a Mega Man game (almost beat X and ZX) and never played any of the original series.

Do I even stand a chance, i suppose is the question I am asking?
Short Answer: No
Long Answer: Not a damn chance.
 

Eteric Rice

Member
Sidzed2 said:
Just wondering if anyone could let me know whether it's worth me buying this when it pops up on PSN - since I have never beaten a Mega Man game (almost beat X and ZX) and never played any of the original series.

Do I even stand a chance, i suppose is the question I am asking?

It will put hair on your chest.
 
Sidzed2 said:
Just wondering if anyone could let me know whether it's worth me buying this when it pops up on PSN - since I have never beaten a Mega Man game (almost beat X and ZX) and never played any of the original series.

Do I even stand a chance, i suppose is the question I am asking?
It's hard but doable. I'd recommend it. It's all about shooting, understanding enemy patterns, and mastering some of the platforming mechanics.
 

Echoes

Member
My screen flickers a lot. Tried the 360 but it's working fine, changed my Wii's component cable (with my old composite) but the flickering remains, it started when I first played MM9 but I thought it's from the component cable and was lazy to change it. But now I know it's not from the cable, what do I have here?

It's like this:


(those two spots that flickers I did with the Photoshop, imagine all the spots on the screen like that. That's only for the right part of the screen, the left is really bad when playing the game)
 

MoxManiac

Member
Echoes said:
My screen flickers a lot. Tried the 360 but it's working fine, changed my Wii's component cable (with my old composite) but the flickering remains, it started when I first played MM9 but I thought it's from the component cable and was lazy to change it. But now I know it's not from the cable, what do I have here?

It's like this:


(those two spots that flickers I did with the Photoshop, imagine all the spots on the screen like that. That's only for the right part of the screen, the left is really bad when playing the game)

Yes, that is exactly what is happening to me, except not as bad as you describe.
 
Pretty sure that means your Wii is messed up...it only does that to you for MM9? My friends' Wii does the same thing, but to every game. He's too lazy to send it in for repairs.
 

Echoes

Member
I didn't try another game but when I go back to the Wii Menu I can still notice it :(

Problem is, I'm not in the US so I can't send it for repairs and such (it would cost a hell lot of money).
 

MoxManiac

Member
MisterAnderson said:
Pretty sure that means your Wii is messed up...it only does that to you for MM9? My friends' Wii does the same thing, but to every game. He's too lazy to send it in for repairs.

Yeah, i keep thinking that, but for me, it's -only- mm9.
 

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
TSA said:
Flash Man
Crash Man
Wily Stage 1 and 2

IMO, not one song in 9 can touch those three from 2.
The worst song from MM9(Jewel Man) smokes any Robot Master song from MM2.

Wily Stage 1 is a classic though.
 

markatisu

Member
MisterAnderson said:
Pretty sure that means your Wii is messed up...it only does that to you for MM9? My friends' Wii does the same thing, but to every game. He's too lazy to send it in for repairs.

Sounds like what happened to quite a few people when RE4 Wii came out and it caused their GPU's to go bad
 
Pedobear said:
The worst song from MM9(Jewel Man) smokes any Robot Master song from MM2.

Wily Stage 1 is a classic though.

I strongly disagree. I would say that some songs in MM9 are just flat out bad. Galaxy Man, Hornet Man, Jewel Man are all bad songs. MM2 only really had one bad song with Heat Man. The good songs are also better in MM2. Not to forgot the far better boss battle music from MM2. MM9 still does have some great tracks like Tornado Man, Concrete Man, and Magma Man (as well as other that are also enjoyable). I just don't think it compares to MM2.
 

neight

Banned
Ahh the Roll costume is lame it just changes what Roll herself is wearing in the laboratory. I thought it was to tranny up Mega Man or even better play as Roll herself.
 

Sidzed2

Member
As a follow up to my earlier 'difficulty' question - are the levels themselves very long and arduous? Because I don't mind buttock-clenching difficulty when I can very quickly retry the part I am stuck at.

Are the stages long, like 10-20 minutes, or nippy, like 5 or so minutes? Because I don't mind 'learning through repetition' if its a short scenario.

I'm so torn. I really want to get into it, but I'm thinking I'm just going to get smashed and cry. The last boss of Mega Man ZX made me cry, lol.
 

Brofist

Member
I'll have to get this when it's released on PSN and see just how hard it really is. I used to beat MM1 without dying back in the days.
 
neight said:
Ahh the Roll costume is lame it just changes what Roll herself is wearing in the laboratory. I thought it was to tranny up Mega Man or even better play as Roll herself.

Nah, gotta buy the *true* best MegaMan game ever for that option.

Played this on my roommate's Wii today. It's everything I could have hoped for.
 

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Echoes said:
My screen flickers a lot. Tried the 360 but it's working fine, changed my Wii's component cable (with my old composite) but the flickering remains, it started when I first played MM9 but I thought it's from the component cable and was lazy to change it. But now I know it's not from the cable, what do I have here?

(those two spots that flickers I did with the Photoshop, imagine all the spots on the screen like that. That's only for the right part of the screen, the left is really bad when playing the game)
Is that actually your display? What specific model are you using?

Perhaps MM9 is actually using a lower resolution mode (or at least a different resolution)? I've noticed that some modern displays are unable to properly handle certain resolutions and will display similar artifacts when using them. When a friend of mine was looking for a 32" LCD, we tested a number of them and all of the Samsung panels exhibited this flaw (wierd flashing pixels and other anamolies) with certain material. Of course, this doesn't really make a whole lot of sense with this game as the Wii menu still needs to be accessed and, as such, I'm sure video output remains in the ***x480 area (perhaps interlaced).
 

KevinCow

Banned
Linkzg said:
Galaxy Man, Hornet Man, Jewel Man are all bad songs. MM2 only really had one bad song with Heat Man.
...What? Galaxy Man and Jewel Man... bad? Heat Man bad?! Everyone knows the only weak track from MM2 is Wood Man.
 

meppi

Member
Echoes said:
My screen flickers a lot. Tried the 360 but it's working fine, changed my Wii's component cable (with my old composite) but the flickering remains, it started when I first played MM9 but I thought it's from the component cable and was lazy to change it. But now I know it's not from the cable, what do I have here?

It's like this:


(those two spots that flickers I did with the Photoshop, imagine all the spots on the screen like that. That's only for the right part of the screen, the left is really bad when playing the game)

That's the talked about GPU problem without a doubt.

I had it happen to my Wii and had it replaced for free.

Try starting up Zelda Twilight Princess and look directly, or almost directly at the sun, you'll notice lots of particles starting to flicker in the sky.
 

Kletian

Member
KevinCow said:
...What? Galaxy Man and Jewel Man... bad? Heat Man bad?! Everyone knows the only weak track from MM2 is Wood Man.

Eh Galaxy Man IS the weakest track of MM9, and probably worse than most of the tracks of MM2. And the only weak track from MM2 is Air Man.

For me MM3>MM9=MM2>all else. But my love for Magnet Man and Shadow Man skew my vote a bit ;)
 
Echoes said:
I didn't try another game but when I go back to the Wii Menu I can still notice it :(

Problem is, I'm not in the US so I can't send it for repairs and such (it would cost a hell lot of money).
In the Wii menu too ? Well seems like your Wii is busted. For the anecdote, I didn't actually notice the overheated GPU symptoms on my previous Wii, before I started up VC Super Mario Bros and Mega Man 2, and noticed the exact same symptoms described here (some flickering dots, easily noticeable with the uniformly coloured background of these NES games). That's when I actually went back to check various channels, the Wii menu, and various Wii games, that I started noticing some weird visual artifacts/flickering dots in pretty much every case (though of variable intensity depending on the game or channel). Thankfully, I could still send it back for repair (or in my case, replacement) free of charge, but your situation is considerably trickier, yeah...
 
Downloaded this yesterday, still early into the game and loving it. Played Magma (love the dragon mini boss), Concrete (the vacuum elephants rock, yesss, more mini boss love), Plug (ditto to whoever said that hardhat placed right after the disappearing blocks is evil, ingenious evil though), Galaxy (fave master, love how he turns into a UFO) and Splash Woman (owned me, still haven't beaten her).

I'm impressed at how tight MM 9 is so far and how much attention to detail they've paid to sharpening up the level design and not holding back on challenge (one of the best things about this game is how it will make many casual gamers cry). Seriously, this is the hardest MM game I have ever played and I've been an NES gamer since '88. Anybody who ever claims to get the no damage award darn well better have full video proof is all I can say.

And at first I was feeling constrained with no slide but OTOH it sure forces you to time your jumps better. Anyways, 5/5 stars (so far) and hats off to Inafune and the team. You can really feel the newfound enthusiasm he expressed in interviews while you play the game. If his goal was to surpass MM 2 (visuals aren't always up to par with MM 2 though unfortunately which is my only real gripe) while retaining yet expanding on what made the original games so good, he definitely met it. It really is NES gameplay evolved, I cannot emphasize that enough. Bring on MM 10!
 

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Man, I have a launch Wii. I hope it's not busted or anything. No problems on my end but how common is this problem?
 

Christine

Member
Kletian said:
Eh Galaxy Man IS the weakest track of MM9, and probably worse than most of the tracks of MM2. And the only weak track from MM2 is Air Man.

You people are crazy. Wood Man > Heat Man, but they're both good. Air Man's track is the definitive classic Mega Man music, and the only weak track in MM2 is Crash Man.
 

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Masked Man said:
I'm thinking about coming home from college for the weekend for the express purpose of playing this game. :D

It's so totally worth it. :D

TwinIonEngines said:
Air Man's track is the definitive classic Mega Man music[...]

I always thought that was Cut Man or Mega Man 2 Dr. Wily's fortress stage one, myself.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom