• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 9 now up on WiiWare (67blocks)/PSN(Now)/XBLA(10/1). ProtoM DLC $2 next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

VegaShinra

Dreams do come true. The new issue of Nintendo Power is hitting mailboxes, and inside is the scoop on what we've been waiting for: Solid, concrete proof of Mega Man 9.

While there is no confirmation yet of its existence as a game for Xbox Live Arcade or the PlayStation Network, at least we do now know that it will be a downloadable game in a place where it most makes sense: WiiWare.

Further, the rumors of an 8-bit artstyle were not only true, but quite literal: So far, this looks just like one of the NES games, rather than the later fare of Mega Man 7 and Mega Man 8, each of which has its fans and detractors.

So what's the story? Apparently the rumor of a more "standard" story holds true as well, as robots are on the rampage, and Dr. Wily is back; only this time, he says that the robot attacks are the fault of Mega Man's creator, Dr. Light. And so it falls to Mega Man to prove his creator's innocence.

So who are the bad boys of metal musculature causing this high-tech havoc? The roster reads thusly: Magma Man, Galaxy Man, Jewel Man, Concrete Man, Hornet Man, Plug Man, Tornado Man, and Splash... Woman?

They each inhabit a trap-filled lair that reflects their respective themes, leading to Mega Man traversing molten material in Magma Man's domain, while Tornado Man's stage features spinning magnetic platforms which allow the Blue Bomber to defy gravity. And Plug Man's stage features certain walls that will force the Titanium Titan to square off against shadowy dopplegangers when he walks past.

And of course, when a Robot Master gets pwned, Mega Man will acquire their special weapons for his own personal arsenal, such as Galaxy Man's Black Hole Bombs, for which he'll have to find the next boss in line to whom it works against. Hmm, Black Hole Bomb? I bet Hornet Man might have a hard time escaping that...

The article also provides some insights from franchise mastermind Keiji Inafune of Capcom, who these days is perhaps better known for such fare as Onimusha, Dead Rising, and Lost Planet. According to Inafune, the simple fun of a classic Mega Man game "doesn't fit into the grandiose and expansive world that the consumer gaming industry has become, and so you have to make games that match the current expectations."

He goes on to say that if he did push to have a new game like the classic Mega Man made, it would be criticized for things like being simplistic, outdated, or too expensive, thus making it too difficult to bring it out in the current climate. And that's where programs like WiiWare come in, from which the popularity of retrogaming services such as the Virtual Console lead to the group to decide to make a new "NES" game.

The new game is being developed by Inti Creates, who have a wealth of experience in the Mega Man franchise with their creation of the Mega Man Zero and ZX titles, plus MegaMan Battle Chip Challenge. In addition, to celebrate Mega Man's 20th anniversary, Mega Man ZX Advent featured a mini game of three levels made in the NES Mega Man style.

For controlling the Blue Bomber, players will be able to hold the Wii Remote sideways in NES-style, with the control pad moving Mega Man and the two buttons set to Jump and Fire. Doesn't look like there will be any flashy shaking going on here.

But while he says there are no new mechanical devices for Mega Man to obtain, Inafune states that the robodog Rush makes a triumphant return, as they wanted to make sure some of the other classic characters are in.

The reason for the return to NES-style graphics is due to the desire to please longtime fans who wanted to play a new game that was like the originals. In addition, the popularity of retro graphics on things like t-shirts and other paraphernalia "made it seem like the right time" to bring out an oldschool game. Plus, they wanted to show what the upper-limits of 8-bit graphics could do.

But will we get to see an 8-bit Bass and Treble?

And in addition to the graphics, the music will be styled in an 8-bit fashion, as well as 8-bit styled cinema cutscenes. "I am sure when people see the opening scenes- new content with 8-bit graphics- they're going to be very excited."

In terms of difficulty, Inafune says they aren't holding back for players whose reflexes might have deteriorated over the years, but they will try to keep it as close to that of the NES games as possible. Sounds good to me.

While the "cycloptic monsters" (aka Devils) won't be in, Inafune promises lots of exciting new bosses, plus the return of mainstay series cannon-fodder such as Sniper Joes and Mets.

Rumors suggested that Mega Man's mysterious older brother, Proto Man, would be playable, but when asked of other playable characters, Inafune said that it's classified; "you'll have to wait and see."

With Mega Man 2 as the most highly regarded of the series, Inafune states that he'd like to surpass that with this game, and hopefully be able to make "a whole lot more."

And finally, to the Mega Man fans, he says: "The moment you've been waiting for is here! We're not just giving you Mega Man 9, we're giving you a new NES game. This is a game that brings back the fun of the old games, and I hope you all enjoy it!"

Everything known.

Teknoman

Wonder if Plug Man's stage will sound similar to Spark Man...

Spark Man

Especially since most Robot Masters are related in some way storyline wise (Quick man being friends with Turbo Man)

EDIT: The Megaman Network is the best. Had it on my favorites for awhile :D

EDIT 2: Hornet Man huh...
blasthorneta.gif

Wonder how if they'll be as similar as Slash man X Neon Tiger

JoshuaJSlone said:
Nintendo never had any real claim to Mega Man. WiiWare does have multiplatform games already; at least unless you consider PC and cell phones to not count.

Well, obviously downloading this game will cause them to fade away.

Either you mean they're already available and I'm just dumb, or I just fail to get the joke.
Either way. :(

Alaluef said:
2D Wario, 8-bit Mega Man... I love all of this, but what's happening???

The return of the golden age on a Nintendo platform? You just KNOW Nintendo will be making more 2D games on WiiWare and retail, they're masters at it (see: Super Metroid, ALttP, and SMW). I've been reading a lot of literature on their disruptive strategy, and for it to work, they have to make games like these.

Gagaman

Wow, there's going back to your roots and there's...this. I really don't know what to think, it's so surreal. Either way this is quite possibly one of the most bizarre but brilliant announcements in a long time. E3 should be rather special this year I think..

2D gaming seems to be making quite the comeback. Wow.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
dyls said:
I hope they get rid of the flickering and slowdown, but keep the 4-track sound. I'm a sucker for those bleeps and bloops
Me too ^ And duckroll confirmed it above :D

Really.. when I think NES music I think Megaman and vice versa. It's not Capcom's fault... but all the SNES-PS2 butt-rock and modern techno just isn't quite the same.

dyls said:
I hope they get rid of the flickering and slowdown, but keep the 4-track sound. I'm a sucker for those bleeps and bloops
Yes, i have a 4-track mind as well :D

Was mega man's head always that big? Its always been large on nes, but it seems larger than normal in the pic...

HUELEN10

Gagaman said:
2D gaming seems to be making quite the comeback. Wow.
Seriously. Sonic, Wario, Megaman.....

It seems the only guy, at least to me, who hasn't gotten a good 2d revival is Mario. I am sorry, but I think they made his side-scrolling DS too many moves, and way too easy.

HUELEN10 said:
Seriously. Sonic, Wario, Megaman.....

It seems the only guy, at least to me, who hasn't gotten a good 2d revival is Mario. I am sorry, but I think they made his side-scrolling DS too many moves, and way too easy.
So you think Sonic had a good 2D game and not Mario recently?

...huh.

The reason for the return to NES-style graphics is due to the desire to please longtime fans who wanted to play a new game that was like the originals. In addition, the popularity of retro graphics on things like t-shirts and other paraphernalia "made it seem like the right time" to bring out an oldschool game. Plus, they wanted to show what the upper-limits of 8-bit graphics could do.

Hells yeah! I really, really hope that more people will try this if MM9 is successful. New 8bit games could be the new kind of budget games. Budget games that are fuck awesome.

duckroll

Yeah, in case it isn't 100% clear, linking to sites that have scans in a topic where everyone is clearly discussing stuff from scans is a no-no.

Teknoman

Upper limits of 8-bit tech? Maybe this wont be so bad graphically after all. When pushed, 8-bit can still look decent.

lol everyone's gonna have old school Megaman+Robot Master avatars now.

Acosta

HK-47 said:
Please go cry elsewhere. I didnt whine about Bionic Commando not coming to Wii

Mostly because I also have a 360 to play it on

Nothing to do with Wii, what makes you think so?

My concern is with the 8 bits style, I would have preferred Snes graphics or something sightly more advanced.

Teknoman

Wait till you guys get the issue if you're holding off on searching for scans. Talk about a semi-plot twist. Its kinda like the whole Mr. X thing from MM6.

HUELEN10

ShockingAlberto said:
So you think Sonic had a good 2D game and not Mario recently?

...huh.
Now now, I didn't exactly say that.

I think the Sonic Rush series is great. It is not classic Sonic, but I feel it is a good series.

Mario however has the bar in my eyes as far as sidescrollers go raised SO HIGH, that things like NSMB make me disappointed. I thought it was too easy, and while good, it could have been better.

If music composer Yoshihiro Sakaguchi is working on this then i will be willing to pay up to 2000 wii points, if not then 500 points tops.

nubbe

Bah, the MM play mechanics are so outdated. I would have appreciated remakes of X more and pretend as if x5-x8 never happened.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
abstract alien said:
Its not exclusive, but it will feel good with the wiimote sideways
It will feel even better on the Classic Controller d-pad. If it does come out for XBL I feel sorry for the poor shmucks who have to play with a 360 d-pad though.

Rpgmonkey

Surprised I'm having so much trouble finding the scans.

Guess I'll just wait for my issue to come. >_>

I kinda liked the way 8-bit MM looked though.

nubbe said:
Bah, the MM play mechanics are so outdated. I would have appreciated remakes of X more and pretend as if x5-x8 never happened.

LOL

MM2 is still better than most the games released this generation.

The Hermit

Inafune said:
"The moment you've been waiting for is here! We're not just giving you Mega Man 9, we're giving you a new NES game. This is a game that brings back the fun of the old games, and I hope you all enjoy it!"

O_O

!
!
!

2ynq6hc.gif

RyanDG

Nintendo - for the love of god... Do this to Zelda. Give us a new Zelda adventure with the 8bit sprites and the same open world style as the original. This could be epic if you let it be.

Teknoman

Weisheit said:
So from what I've read in the scans this is actually an NES game made available over WiiWare....right?

Well it did say Inafune said "Lets make a NES game" so this really could be Wiiware exclusive. Also cutscenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom