• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 9 now up on WiiWare (67blocks)/PSN(Now)/XBLA(10/1). ProtoM DLC $2 next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
KevinCow said:
A question for people using the Classic Controller: Is B jump and Y shoot? Or A jump and B shoot? Because I like the CC D-pad more than the Wiimote's, but if it's A jump and B shoot, that would make is pretty much unplayable for me.

The game lets you switch them if you want to.

jeremy parish thinks it's better than MM2

http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/index.php/Games/MegaMan9

In short, Mega Man 9 is the best Mega Man game ever. No, really. IntiCreates set out to recapture the greatness of Mega Man 2 and in the process exceeded it. True, MM9 lacks the breathtaking originality of its 20-year-old predecessor, but it offers maturity, sophistication and refinement instead. It took two decades of failure and occasional good intentions before Capcom could pull it together, but we finally have a sequel worthy of Mega Man 2.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I agree with him. It's simply the best. I love the reason why the robots went crazy. It's very original.

Azure J

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Yeah about that...

This is the hardest Mega Man game by far. It doesn't feel like #3-6. It feels like a sequel to #2 that was released in Japan but didn't come stateside because Americans fear challenge.

This game is beautiful if people bust out the Lost Levels excuse for it. :lol

Also, am I the only one racking up the challenge points and yet not getting anywhere significant with the bosses?

Magma Man is a brutish bitch. :lol

Hero

So I'm at Wily's stage and I think I'm going to need some energy tanks. If I choose select stage to go buy some power ups and go back, is it going to start me at Wily Castle 1?

Snaku

Banned
Only got to play a little bit. Beat Galaxy Man, and almost beat Splash Woman!

Gotta head out for the Lightning/Pens game. Enjoy everyone! :D

Milabrega

Hero said:
So I'm at Wily's stage and I think I'm going to need some energy tanks. If I choose select stage to go buy some power ups and go back, is it going to start me at Wily Castle 1?

Yes, this just happened to me.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Capcom topped Mega Man 2. They topped Mega Man 3. They simply outdid the best in the series.

What a wonderful game. This is the Resident Evil 4/ Mario Galaxy/ A Link To The Past of the Mega Man series. Just freaking perfection and love.

Teknoman

Can we get some official topic style edits for the first post? A game of this caliber should have an official topic done right.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Blu_LED said:
This is going out on a limb but is the Wii version in 16:9 for those that bought it? If not should I wait for the PS3 version?

It's 4:3. I don't think any versions are going to have widescreen.

Krowley

Pedobear said:
Capcom topped Mega Man 2. They topped Mega Man 3. They simply outdid the best in the series.

What a wonderful game. This is the Resident Evil 4/ Mario Galaxy/ A Link To The Past of the Mega Man series. Just freaking perfection and love.

Ahh man, it is so good to hear this. I can't wait to download it. I was very worried that they wouldn't get it right or that it would be "so so". A truly worthy successor to megaman 2 is no small feat.

Echoes

Could someone please explain to me how does the item "1\2 damage" works exactly? It halves the damage in a certain stage, but does that mean if I died the effect will vanish? (or if I lost a continue?)

Echoes said:
Could someone please explain to me how does the item "1\2 damage" works exactly? It halves the damage in a certain stage, but does that mean if I died the effect will vanish? (or if I lost a continue?)

It is used like an E tank. You use it then you lose it...until you buy it again.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Blu_LED said:
I thought PSN/XBLA games are required to run in 16:9, even if there are boarders around the outside.

Well, I'm not sure how to put this in technical terms, but I think it runs in 16:9 and has black borders on the sides. So it's 16:9 but looks 4:3.

Teknoman

Seriously though:

apfa6v.jpg

16j3n2h.jpg

2q9mhld.jpg

Why didnt we get an official topic?

Easily one the most enjoyable MM games I've played. The levels are truly ingenious and just hard enough to keep me coming back. Capcom, now that you've blown the door off of MM please make an 8-bit sequel to NES Strider.

G-Fex

I'm in love, this game is incredible ten fold of what I was expecting. I only beat Galaxy man so far (easiest boss/stage I think.) Every other stage is sorta difficult, though I love it, this is something special.

Milabrega said:
On how to beat it

Concrete shot the first beam, then the second, hop to the later before the third beam crosses.

Ohhhhh, yeah I tried using concrete on the magma beams to see what would happen but nothing did...I guess I missed it.
What I ended up doing to beat that part was
as soon as I climbed the ladder, I jumped on top of the left beam gun, used Rush Jet to the right and flew up right as the second beam shoots underneath me, then jump to the ladder above right before I get hit by the 3rd beam.
Took me a while to manage that, though. I was stumped for a good while.

FUCK YOU Capcom for kicking me back to Wily Stage 1 after I went to the store to stock up on E-Tanks for the final boss (who's just a rehash of the final bosses in MM7 and 8 BTW), when you were allowed to continue from the last Wily Stage in MM7 and 8 if you did that.

jman2050

Finished the game clocking in at about 2 hours or so. Really really good. Thoughts put into bullet-point form:

* As expected, GDJustin is full of shit

* The cries of OMGDIFFICULT are pretty funny to me, as what I got and what I expected were pretty different. Mega Man 9 is pretty much your standard MM as far as difficulty goes. I'm willing to wager lots that many people who find the game hard will start breezing through it once they've committed the game's obstacles into memory. I mean, don't get me wrong, it IS damn hard, especially in some spots in the Wily stages (DAMN YOU WILY STAGE 2), but not harder than the NES games. You must have forgotten what it was like going into MM2 fresh :p Interestingly enough, MM9 has one of the easier final bosses in the series. MM7 Wily it is not!

* That said, am I the only one who banged my head against the wall multiple times in Tornado Man's stage?

* The challenges are freaking ridiculous :lol I got 20% of them just playing through normally, but the crap they expect you to do for some of these (I have no idea how the hell I'm gonna do the Pacifist challenge, much less the Invincible challenge). I'm not a fan of achievements at all in general, but it's gonna add some mileage to the game for many, that's for sure.

* The entire game really does feel like it was made in the early 90s. IntiCreates pretty much nailed it on the head with this one. Level design, enemy patterns, boss patterns, music, graphics, it really feels like an honest to god sequel to those games (well, I guess the whole point is that it actually IS an honest to god sequel). The only thing they got wrong was the level fade-ins. Smooth fade-ins look wrong in this game!

* All in all, fantastic game, doesn't miss a beat at all in continuing the NES games, and the ending was :lol

* But no, seriously, whoever designed Tornado Man's stage needs to be shot and maimed, preferably with a Mega Buster.

Teknoman

Galaxy Man's stage is pretty cool. Those warp chutes were a good idea...but that helicopter bot...I didnt see that coming.

Lots of inspiration for LBP created stages as well.

jman2050 said:
Finished the game clocking in at about 2 hours or so. Really really good. Thoughts put into bullet-point form:

* As expected, GDJustin is full of shit

* The cries of OMGDIFFICULT are pretty funny to me, as what I got and what I expected were pretty different. Mega Man 9 is pretty much your standard MM as far as difficulty goes. I'm willing to wager lots that many people who find the game hard will start breezing through it once they've committed the game's obstacles into memory. I mean, don't get me wrong, it IS damn hard, especially in some spots in the Wily stages (DAMN YOU WILY STAGE 2), but not harder than the NES games. You must have forgotten what it was like going into MM2 fresh :p Interestingly enough, MM9 has one of the easier final bosses in the series. MM7 Wily it is not!

* That said, am I the only one who banged my head against the wall multiple times in Tornado Man's stage?

* The challenges are freaking ridiculous :lol I got 20% of them just playing through normally, but the crap they expect you to do for some of these (I have no idea how the hell I'm gonna do the Pacifist challenge, much less the Invincible challenge). I'm not a fan of achievements at all in general, but it's gonna add some mileage to the game for many, that's for sure.

* The entire game really does feel like it was made in the early 90s. IntiCreates pretty much nailed it on the head with this one. Level design, enemy patterns, boss patterns, music, graphics, it really feels like an honest to god sequel to those games (well, I guess the whole point is that it actually IS an honest to god sequel). The only thing they got wrong was the level fade-ins. Smooth fade-ins look wrong in this game!

* All in all, fantastic game, doesn't miss a beat at all in continuing the NES games, and the ending was :lol

* But no, seriously, whoever designed Tornado Man's stage needs to be shot and maimed, preferably with a Mega Buster.

Tornado Man's stage was my favorite!

I just replayed all of Mega Man and Mega Man 2 after playing all of 9. I feel they're the only two MM titles comparable at this point (until Proto Man is playable, in which we can expand this).

- 9 has the hardest bosses*
- 1 has the hardest stages
- 9 has the hardest "later" stages
- 2 has the best music
- 9 has the best visuals

*This is solely because your standard weapon does less damage per hit than the other two titles.

Eteric Rice

I'm honestly not sure if I can beat this game. I've been at it on and off for a while now.

I hate that fucking bolder guy on the diamond guy's stage. Can't kill him for nothing

Teknoman

Anyone know where I can find the official names of some of the lesser robot enemies?

EDIT: Special Stage DLC sounds intresting. Might actually end up getting that and Protoman. Protesting be damned.

jibblypop

Banned
wow this game is HARD! This is definitely way harder than the old megaman games.
I love it! The level design is just fantastic and the game feels just as polished as in the old days.
This is truly a game for the old school megaman fans!
$10 is a damn steal for this gem! :D

CoolS

jibblypop said:
wow this game is HARD! This is definitely way harder than the old megaman games.
I love it! The level design is just fantastic and the game feels just as polished as in the old days.
This is truly a game for the old school megaman fans!
$10 is a damn steal for this gem! :D

BUT THEY'RE RIPPING YOU OFF!!! LOOK AT ALL THE DLC!
Capcom took your money and gave you a shitty unfinished game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The Hermit

Eteric Rice said:
Its about like 1.

Its funny, I get pissed off and shut the system down. Then like 20 minutes later I'm back trying again. :lol

Linkzg said:
I did that twice already. I would have broken my SFC Wii controller if it wasn't hard to get.

Cheesemeister said:
I've wanted to snap mine in half! :lol

Ah good old Megaman! :D

All hail Capgod.

jibblypop

Banned
CoolS said:
BUT THEY'RE RIPPING YOU OFF!!! LOOK AT ALL THE DLC!
Capcom took your money and gave you a shitty unfinished game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

haha i know you are being sarcastic here but I want to say how I feel about it anyways. I would feel ripped off if I paid for the stupid DLC but I don't have to so to me it's just an awesome $10 megaman game.
AWESOME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom