• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man cartoon debuting on Cartoon Network, plot detailed

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
megaman_pr_horizontalx9uxl.jpg

DHX said:
Aimed at kids 6 to 11, as well as their parents who grew up loving the video games, the new Mega Man animated series will feature exciting new technologies and robots, as well as the introduction of Mega Man’s alter-ego, Aki Light. Aki is a normal, upbeat, schoolboy robot who has nano-core technology that allows him to transform into the mega powered super hero Mega Man! With his Mega Buster arm cannon and iconic helmet, Mega Man battles the wickedest villains Silicon City has to offer. Beloved characters, such as Mega Man’s robotic dog, Rush, will return – while new characters, like Mega Mini™ and Suna Light, will make their debut!

The Mega Man franchise is grounded in a series of video games, first launched in 1987 by Capcom, featuring battles fought by the eponymous blue robot protagonist and an ongoing cast of allies and enemies. The Mega Man multiverse has spawned over 130 video games on multiple gaming systems, selling over 31 million copies worldwide, as well as a plethora of toys, comics and collectibles. A highly rated Mega Man TV series was popular in the USA in the mid-1990s and aired on ABC Family. The new animated Mega Man series focuses on a normal, upbeat schoolboy robot, who discovers that deep within his programming lies secret protocols that can transform him into the powerful Mega Man. And, as the world’s first robotic super-hero, Mega Man must face the threats of Silicon City, while trying to preserve his secret identity and maintain a regular robot boy life.
Source: https://www.dhxmedia.com/newsreleas...ertainment-land-mega-man-cartoon-network-u-s/

PSqueak

Banned
Still think the design looks like a kid X rather than classic megaman, but im willing to give this a try.

Im guessing this "Suna Light" character will eventually be turned into Roll.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I can't help but feel that all the 30-something folks that frequent NeoGAF are going to be bitching about this show for one reason or another, completely missing the fact that it's not at all aimed at them.

Jawmuncher

megaman fans on gaf confirmed to be 6-11 years old.

Real Talk, I could see this actually taking off with kids.

I can't help but feel that all the 30-something folks that frequent NeoGAF are going to be bitching about this show for one reason or another, completely missing the fact that it's not at all aimed at them.
It says right in the op it IS, atleast partially, aimed at us...

I just. I don't understand why they felt the name to rename Mega Man. Like I have no problem with your adaptations and stuff but why rename the main character?

TheSun

Cartoon Network?

Welp, erratic schedules and no promotion before quick cancellation.

It never had a chance.

PSqueak

Banned
I just. I don't understand why they felt the name to rename Mega Man. Like I have no problem with your adaptations and stuff but why rename the main character?

It's weird that they decided to use a made up name for his civilian persona instead of the canon "Rock", but it seems like they want to play up the franchise's Japanese origins.

SkyOdin

megaman fans on gaf confirmed to be 6-11 years old.

Real Talk, I could see this actually taking off with kids.
That has always been the target demographic for classic Mega Man. I think I was six or so when I first played Mega Man 3, the very first videogame that I can remember.

I hope that this show is successful with its target audience. It would help the franchise a lot and introduce kids to a great series of videogames.

Camjo-Z

As an animator I hate the idea that cartoons aimed at one demographic can't still appeal to everyone else. There's a reason why an adult can get just as much enjoyment out of a Pixar movie as their child while fluff like SING or Trolls will elicit nothing but yawns.

It's weird that they decided to use a made up name for his civilian persona instead of the canon "Rock", but it seems like they want to play up the franchise's Japanese origins.
It's particularly egregious to me coming from one failed attempt to retcon Rock's name ("Mega" in MMPU) and off of a lovely adaptation of the first few games in the series that managed to stay very true to the original concepts while also adding their own fun and interesting spins on things (Archie comics).

I'd love to see a more faithful Mega Man cartoon. Maybe someday...

I wonder a few things.

1. If this new MM is called Aki and if his sister model is this "Suna" I wonder if they'll use the old names in a callback (like models ROCK and ROLL or something like that)

2. If this Mega Mini will be an actual character that pops out of his head, or preferably would serve as an inner AI of some sorts. (A comedic effect, like how Ultimate Spider Man goes all Scott Pilgrim every so often)

Shocked at Disney XD not picking this up, considering they've been trying to create an anime block recently

"Aimed at kids 6 to 11, as well as their parents who grew up loving the video games"

I have a beef with this statement. If that were true they should have stuck closer to the source material instead of doing this.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That has always been the target demographic for classic Mega Man. I think I was six or so when I first played Mega Man 3, the very first videogame that I can remember.

I hope that this show is successful with its target audience. It would help the franchise a lot and introduce kids to a great series of videogames.
Yeah, Mega Man has always been for kids.

As a long time fan, this sounds like it won't appeal to me at all, but I'm a geezer by marketing standards and no longer the target audience. Sounds like a weird fusion of Battle Network and classic Mega Man, which, honestly, sounds like it has the potential to be a hit with kids.

Ogodei

I watch Cartoon Network most days (daytime, depends on if i'm doing my workout inside or not), and haven't heard one iota of this.

Of course, that was also the case with Justice League Action.

petran79

Banned
"Aimed at kids 6 to 11, as well as their parents who grew up loving the video games"

I have a beef with this statement. If that were true they should have stuck closer to the source material instead of doing this.

judging from the older Mega Man OVA, parents were like that kid:

2.JPG

Top Bottom