• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man design changed for the Mega Man TV Show (2017)

SkyOdin

it's meant to represent the original 8 bit sprites, and they nailed it, even the eyes are like that! I really loved it

tumblr_mo9oup0KXw1rwspqso2_1280.png
That is probably the exact reason that they are not using the Smash Bros. version of Mega Man in the new cartoon. It isn't supposed to be an adaptation of the NES games, it is an attempt to reboot the series and market it to kids who have never played a Mega Man game before. The target audience for Mega Man consists of children who were not born yet when the last Mega Man X game was released. Aiming for nostalgia won't help in making them fans, and making young kids fans of Mega Man requires making changes to suit the tastes of modern kids.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
How did the EXE reveal go I wonder? I didn't have great internet back then.

Also bug style was fucking dope

Can't speak for the reveal, but I know all too well that it was open season on Battle Network fans during the series's heyday. The Mega Man fanbase was (arguably still is) hella dysfunctional.

L Thammy

I don't expect some of you to understand this but all versions of Mega man were designed to fit into what was cool at the moment of their creation. Have a look at what was happening on the TV when X appeared and you see that he blends perfectly with that, the same goes for EXE/Battle Network, those happened when the Pokémon-look got popular. I mean, the Tron-esque lines are kind of hot at the moment. Even DC comics characters got them.

Was thinking about this and I'm not really sure where it comes from? Mega Man's from the 1987 yet he's based of Astro Boy, which was from 1952. Mega Man X was from 1993 and drew a lot from 1972's Casshern; the storyline, Sigma, Velgauder. Both retro as hell when they came out. Mega Man Legends was from 1997 and is, what, Evangelion and Yatterman? So I guess that one was current to what was on television at the time. Mega Man Battle Network came five years after Pokemon. Not retro, but it was hardly striking while the iron was hot.

So uh, the original tweet's deleted and I'm barely seeing anyone else reporting this. Do we know exactly what the Twitter user's involvement with the show is? As far as I can tell, he's just involved with a Mega Man fangame.

Was thinking about this and I'm not really sure where it comes from? Mega Man's from the 1987 yet he's based of Astro Boy, which was from 1952. Mega Man X was from 1993 and drew a lot from 1972's Casshern; the storyline, Sigma, Velgauder. Both retro as hell when they came out. Mega Man Legends was from 1997 and is, what, Evangelion and Yatterman? So I guess that one was current to what was on television at the time. Mega Man Battle Network came five years after Pokemon. Not retro, but it was hardly striking while the iron was hot.

Astroboy was this:

9d1a2214cce063e8b8a6e7e0a6ddc0d6.jpg

by the 80s he looked like this:
5bdea03157e0630e1b3ecf5a8f04f856.jpg

which was like the standard look of 80s anime:
maxresdefault.jpg

838a9a4ca0752c2402190522173dad48.jpg

sddefault.jpg

and in that context Mega Man was born:
nes_megaman_4_cartridge_by_hellstinger64.jpg

For Battle Network let's look at what was hot at the moment:
Megamanbattlenetwork_boxshot.jpg

This is what I like to call the "Pokémon look":
latest

Digimon_Tamers.jpg

it became almost the norm for kid-friendly looking games too:
latest

Gunstar_Super_Heroes_cover.jpg

Note that these games were released on the Gameboy Advance too.

And the "tron lines" that are kind of popular right now in American comic books and shows:
DCVol2Marquee_57466713405381.60938022.jpg

Voltron-Legendary-Defender-Trailer.jpg

I mean, even Batman looked like this for a while:
screen%20shot%202015-06-10%20at%2012.27.01%20pm.png

Yes, I selected my examples carefully and avoided other versions of Mega Man for two reasons:

1. To avoid this post getting longer/busier that it already is, and
2. Because I think the different versions of Mega Man share some design philosophies with the examples I provided.

looks better, like the bringers colours for sure. if it's actually gonna be a action cartoon and not some TTG knock off i'll keep my eye on it

it's meant to represent the original 8 bit sprites, and they nailed it, even the eyes are like that! I really loved it

tumblr_mo9oup0KXw1rwspqso2_1280.png

just because they based it on the original sprite doesn't mean it's good

i mean it's not a bad design by any means, i just don't like it all that much

The design is just so busy... Would have liked them to tone it down and shrink the head a bit. They tried to merge all the MM designs I guess and it made a pretty horrible chimera instead. I think the classic short mega man design (not the cartoon show with human proportions) would have made a good animated show, especially since Smash reintroduced it to a lot of kids.

Eh, lets get "extreme" or whatever the kid show buzz word is now.

TreIII

Willing to bet they death slot it at 6AM on a Saturday.

Oh, goodness, that'd just be hilarious.

Somehow, Transformers: Robots in Disguise was able to survive despite that, but I don't know if a Mega Man toon could do the same.

PSqueak

Banned
Nintendo nailed the design perfectly...

hqdefault.jpg

Why can't Capcom take notes?

Well, for starter, nintendo [intentionally] made megaman a "soul less" robot for smash, which works in the game and is very fateful to the original sprite, but wouldn't translate very well to the cartoon.

Smash MegaMan is perfect for games.

Top Bottom