• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man franchise hits 31 million sold

Hatty

Only series worth continuing is X and Zero. The rest could stay dead.
The classic series is the best series and the ZX games were great. Legends should at least get an official comic so Volnutt can get off that moon. The series still has potential

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
The classic series is the best series and the ZX games were great. Legends should at least get an official comic so Volnutt can get off that moon. The series still has potential

ZX was great, I loved the Metroid elements in it. Advent was alright.

Maybe, shame about the supporting cast though

You're kidding, right? At least the Starforce cast had evolving character arcs throughout the 3 games, unlike the Battle Network completely resetting everything by the time of the next game.

Oh wow, Lan moves away from his childhood home? That's a pretty interesting development. Too bad it happened on the 6th and last BN game.

SkyOdin

I imagine that has to be pretty heavily front-loaded.

Not really. The Mega Man Battle Network series released on the GBA sold as well as the NES Mega Man games, generally speaking.

Mega Man 2 sold about 1.51 million units. Mega Man battle Network 4 sold about 1.35 million units. Mega Man X sold about 1.16 million units. The NES Mega Man games are generally the most successful, but not overwhelming so. For the most part, the Mega Man series has not been a top-selling series, but it has sold fairly consistently considering the quantity of games in the franchise. It however suffered a big drop-off in sales in the Nintendo DS era.

Lan will always be top dog
Nah, Geo was a much better written character. I like Lan and Megaman.exe, but Star Force 1 was the best written game in the franchise. It is Battle Network 4 that gets the blame for the death of the series in any event. It rode on the coattails of the excellent Battle Network 3 to get those sales, but 4 was garbage.

Servbot24

Banned

I don't understand why EXE doesn't get brought back as a mobile series.

But aside from that, I'd say that Legends and either X or Zero (no need for both) cover the bases just fine.

Azure J

I don't understand why EXE doesn't get brought back as a mobile series.

But aside from that, I'd say that Legends and either X or Zero (no need for both) cover the bases just fine.

EXE/Battle Network was so ahead of its time. Imagine if that series had happened on a system with online multiplayer options.

Tangent: I want a MM franchise with the Classic series' tone & cast and X/Zero's mobility and combat.

Peltz

Wii U has them through Wii Mode at least, but I suppose most probably don't use that feature.

Still a travesty they never patched the Wii version for 240p output. It's 480i only for some idiotic reason.

Cool franchise though. One of my favorites.

Phediuk

I'm assuming these games were dirt-cheap to make.

Those numbers aren't impressive considering the number of Mega Man games there are.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
As much as I love the X series and would LOVE an Elf Wars era game, we at least got a conclusion to that series and the series that came after.

Both ZX and Legends are on decade long cliffhangers at this point. Legends is actually on a double decade cliffhanger.

Spoilers:

The Eternal Mystery of Master Thomas and The Boy on the Moon

Reset

As much as I love the X series and would LOVE an Elf Wars era game, we at least got a conclusion to that series and the series that came after.

Both ZX and Legends are on decade long cliffhangers at this point. Legends is actually on a double decade cliffhanger.

Spoilers:

The Eternal Mystery of Master Thomas and The Boy on the Moon
Zero 4 ended in a cliff hanger (if we ignore the ZX :p). ZX while its gameplay was fun, its map system/stage selections was shit. It's no where near on the same level as the Zero/X series thanks to that map system.
X8 didn't really have a satisfying conclusion though, the series ends with all the new generation reploids having the Sigma virus unless the elf wars happened because of the Virus. I don't remember it's been a while, but I wouldn't mind an Elf wars era game though.

ar4757

Man that's some sweet artwork!

C'mon Capcom release something next year - X Collection would be a good start

ar4757

thegang.jpg

gWvXnw0.jpg

OQSdX1r.gif

Geo is actually pretty good as far as having a backstory is concerned I'd say

Opa-Pa

Zero 4 ended in a cliff hanger (if we ignore the ZX :p). ZX while its gameplay was fun, its map system/stage selections was shit. It's no where near on the same level as the Zero/X series thanks to that map system.
X8 didn't really have a satisfying conclusion though, the series ends with all the new generation reploids having the Sigma virus unless the elf wars happened because of the Virus. I don't remember it's been a while, but I wouldn't mind an Elf wars era game though.

Didn't Mega Man X8 end with
Axl being possessed by the dying bad guy or something
? I don't remember the exact details but it was obviously a huge cliffhanger. An SNES-like X9 that gives the story actual closure would be neat, but knowing Capcom they'd keep it open-ended for a potential X10 that may never be made.

Zero series is another favorite of mine but Inti Creates has pretty much admitted to
killing Zero at the end just so Capcom would stop asking for sequels
. Ironically that led to ZX. ZX was neat, Advent kinda sucked. I know there was another cliffhanger there but... I honestly don't care much, I hated the lore implications of that series. Still, the concept of a Mega Man game with Zero-esque controls and Metroid-like interconnected map has a ton of potential, especially with the genre being more popular nowadays... but I know better than to keep fantasizing so never mind!

Crocodile

I think this IP needs its own Mega Man (or Mega Man X) Mania! There have been a lot of fan games that have impressed me over the years. I think with a real budget and schedule some of them could turn in some fine work.

Neonep

I truly loved those Battle Network games with 3 being Top 5 favorite game of all time. Was bummed out when they introduced Star Force. Also that game was ahead of it's time. A Battle Network game with real online capabilities would have been nuts.

L Thammy

The first one? I haven't played it since it came out but I remember it having a rather generic friendship is power moral. I never touched the sequels because the first one was pretty bad gameplay wise and the story was more cliche than even battle network at its worst, so maybe the sequels stepped it up?

I guess, but all of the episodes in the game revolve around people being vulnerable when they are emotional vulnerable due to real-life issues. Sonia's mother being dead, Luna's parents trying to separate her from her friends, Patrick's dissociative personality disorder, etc. For a Mega Man game, shit's bizarre.

Then Star Force 2 was pretty much a late Battle Network game, with Geo and his friends going on field trips. And Star Force 3 turned the aliens into NetNavis and tried to make Geo into a superhero.

SkyOdin

The first one? I haven't played it since it came out but I remember it having a rather generic friendship is power moral. I never touched the sequels because the first one was pretty bad gameplay wise and the story was more cliche than even battle network at its worst, so maybe the sequels stepped it up?

It is actually a lot more nuanced than that. It is at its heart a "power of friendship" story, but the story was a lot deeper than normal for that kind of story. Most stories aimed at young kids start and stop at "friends are good", but Mega Man Star Force instead tells stories about people in broken or harmful relationships that need to be mended in order to be positive. It has several characters dealing with legit depression, including the main character whose problems are preventing him from having a normal life. It even has an example in Sonia of a character who has to simply cut off a harmful relationship with her producer entirely in order to move on in her life.

Now, the second game in the series basically dives straight into simplistic friendship is good nonsense along with mind-bending Battle Network-style plotlines. But the first game was legit good. I can understand people's unhappiness about the gameplay changes though.

Astral Dog

despite all its...weird quirks and bizarre plot, Megaman Star Force 3 is one of the best BN style Mega Man games imo, it filled that void for me after the dreadful BN 4, and its up there with Battle Nedtwork 3, the battle system is so addicting.

havent played 1 but heard bad things about 2

so yeah i think it deserves to be up there, only for this
latest

NWICroix

Neo Member
I'm a big Mega Man fan, but I've never actually played Battle Network. I think when the original came out, I was in a phase where I was pretending I didn't like video games very much. Then I just never played the others in fear I'd not get something. Should I start with the first one? Or should I start at 2, since it seems to be the one everybody likes best?

Also PS4/One Mega Man X collection when? Wanna replay X4 to see if my love for it was all in the anime cutscenes.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Star Force love and ZX hate is making me a sad camper

SkyOdin

I'm a big Mega Man fan, but I've never actually played Battle Network. I think when the original came out, I was in a phase where I was pretending I didn't like video games very much. Then I just never played the others in fear I'd not get something. Should I start with the first one? Or should I start at 2, since it seems to be the one everybody likes best?

Also PS4/One Mega Man X collection when? Wanna replay X4 to see if my love for it was all in the anime cutscenes.

I started with Battle Network 2, and I was able to understand it well enough as a starting place. There are a few plot points that probably have more impact if you play BN 1 first, but BN 2 has a lot more refined gameplay and some better designed areas, if I recall correctly. So, either is good.

I am shocked we haven't gotten a Battle Network collection of any form yet. It is a popular series that was all on one console, so it shouldn't be too hard of a port.
Star Force love and ZX hate is making me a sad camper
Does it make it any better if I say that I really like both series? ZX is great and under-appreciated.

NWICroix

Neo Member
I am shocked we haven't gotten a Battle Network collection of any form yet. It is a popular series that was all on one console, so it shouldn't be too hard of a port.
Truthfully, I was kinda holding out for that but Capcom doesn't seem like they are in a hurry.

Top Bottom