• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man franchise hits 31 million sold

maxcriden

thegang.jpg

Capcom's Investor Relations page has updated to reflect the cumulative growth of various intellectual properties, with Mega Man in particular having amassed 31 million units worldwide (as of June 30th, 2016). The franchise now ranks fourth in Capcom's heavy hitters catalog behind Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, and Resident Evil.

The number includes 134 titles released across a 29-year period. When we last checked in, the franchise was sitting at 30 million in 2013. Due to a lack of titles released within this three year period, today's milestone is minimal at best. It goes without saying Mega Man Legacy Collection contributed to the bump - exactly how much we do not know.

http://www.rockman-corner.com/2016/07/mega-man-franchise-reaches-31-million.html

(Via: GoNintendo.com)

--

In honor of this milestone, what are your favorite experiences playing Mega Man games?

For me, I was never interested to get much into MM as a kid (I don't think I ever tried one). I had an N64, GCN and PS2 also but the MM games on those didn't really cross my radar. However, I was absolutely addicted to MMBN, the first game. I don't know that I played the sequels but I very much enjoyed that first game. I don't think I beat it; I think I got stuck in one of the Internet mazes. But the game looked awesome, it was jam-packed with content and just super fun, even for someone like me not into turn-based RPGs. I've since tried MM1 on VC much more recently and was terrible at it, but MM2 with some save states on easy mode I beat and enjoyed a ton. I hear good things about the X games so I'd like to check those out next time they're on sale.

Gotta be honest. I thought they sold more.

My favorite Megaman is 8 purely for nostalgia because that was incidentally my first megaman game.

Off topic here kinda but since Megaman appear in Smash, I was hoping Sakurai would make a Megaman game.
Not going to happen but I feel he can make a great one.

Servbot24

Banned
1. Mega Man Legends 2
2. Mega Man X
3. Mega Man Legends
4. Mega Man Battle Network 3
5. Mega Man Zero 2

My favorite all time franchise :)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

cordy

Banned
Wild to me that Tekken has sold more than MM. Understandable though. Capcom needs to stop bullshitting and bring this series back to its glory. I also don't mean any stupid new age cartoon about some dude in school.

Capcom should take a page out of Sega's book and license Megaman to reputable Megaman fan creators like the snes style fan Megaman X game being made (forgot the name).

Hatty

Capcom should take a page out of Sega's book and license Megaman to reputable Megaman fan creators like the snes style fan Megaman X game being made (forgot the name).

Yeah give it to the Minus Infinity team, they did a good job

I think the more surprising thing is Monster Hunter managed to sell more games with only 1/4 of the titles to boot. Then again you can really think of Monster Hunter the same way you think of Sports games (I hear in Japan a few years on the old MH game is like the equivilant of $1).

Capcom: "Where the hell did all this money come from?"
Number of Titles: 134
More like where the hell did all these games come from?

X9.

In 2D.

With playable Alia.

Make it happen, Capcacom

I've wanted x9 in the style of x1-3 (or 4) for awhile, but lets be real even if we got an x9 the only characters that would be playable are X and Zero, maybe Axel might get a bone as dlc but nobody else from the x saga will become playable.

Servbot24

Banned
I've wanted x9 in the style of x1-3 (or 4) for awhile, but lets be real even if we got an x9 the only characters that would be playable are X and Zero, maybe Axel might get a bone as dlc but nobody else from the x saga will become playable.

Not even Zero should be playable imo.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

She was playable in 8 along with the rest of the navigators though. :3

NVM, I didn't even know X series was 3D.

EDIT: Maybe just one was?

I've only played Mega Man 2 since it's the one I own so please don't kill me.

VLQ

Mega Man 2 — 1.51 million
Mega Man Battle Network 4 — 1.35 million
Mega Man X — 1.16 million
Mega Man 3 — 1.08 million

Opa-Pa

Get Inti back from Inafune and make some low budget digital-only games already, geez. I have 0 hope in anything that comes from the cartoon, so I hope Capcom makes something that isn't mobile before that takes over.

But yeah, I think my first experience was renting X2 and the first I owned was X4. I loved the awful cartoon as a kid too and then played the Complete Works versions on PS1 and loved them, that's when I became a fan for real. 2, 3, 5, 9, X1, X2, and the Zero series are some of my favorite games ever.

I already came to terms with him being dead tho, so I'll survive.

Hatty

Star Force was bizarrely depressing. I kind of wish they kept to that instead of trying to become Battle Network.

The first one? I haven't played it since it came out but I remember it having a rather generic friendship is power moral. I never touched the sequels because the first one was pretty bad gameplay wise and the story was more cliche than even battle network at its worst, so maybe the sequels stepped it up?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Mega Man 9, the best in the entire series.

After watching Mega Man 4 Minus Infinity, I'm convinced a Mega Man Maker game would be incredible.

Top Bottom