• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Legacy Collection first Mega Man "game" to sell 1 million in 15 years.

After 15 years, there is now a 5th Mega Man game of around 100 games or so that has finally sold 1 million units just barely making it! According to Capcom that game is:

Mega Man Legacy collection from 2015. So not really a "game" per say, but still finally after all these years we have 5 Mega Man titles that sold 1 million copies. Of course zero have sold 2 million.

The Legacy Collection included 6 NES games which some complained about due to all that extra space on the R disc, and has gained some controversy, but with it being on 4 platforms, and getting additional hype from Legacy 2 and MM 11 announcements, it seems that they were able to hit that 1 million milestone (along with Dead Rising 4 another surprise million seller)

While I'm happy to see Mega Man, somewhat, kind of , selling well, the fact it was a 4 platform cash grab collection kind f sours it for me a little, personally, but who knows maybe, though unlikely, Mega man 11 recently release, will hit 1 million.

The Last game to sell over 1 million was Battle Network 4 from 2003.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What are the other 4 Megaman games to have sold 1m?

BoogerBomb

Neo Member
Well actually I think its pretty impressive that a collection of old NES era Mega Man games can still do a million sales in this day and age.

I think it shows that the Mega Man franchise (at least the core series) still has potential, despite being niche. It will be interesting to see how much Mega Man 11 sells. I think it can reach a million and possibly surpass it, the Mega Man core series has done it before and is the only one to produce multiple million sellers. Though we'll have to wait and see if the X collection can do the same.

Time will tell.

Neat, and it doesn't even list Switch and 3DS on there site so this probably doesn't even include those versions.

Hopefully 11 and X Collection crack it too.

Very cool. It's nice that there's a fairly good new Mega Man game again. Haven't been able to say that in a LONG while. Some of those later X series games on the recently released collection look really bad.

Hudo

I misread the thread title as "Legends" and got very excited for a brief moment...
But it's a good thing that something related to Mega Man is doing well for Capcom; it might prompt them to invest more in the franchise and finally make a new Mega Man Legends or a Mega Man Legends Collection!

It will be interesting to see how much Mega Man 11 sells. I think it can reach a million and possibly surpass it, the Mega Man core series has done it before and is the only one to produce multiple million sellers. Though we'll have to wait and see if the X collection can do the same.

Time will tell.

I mean I don't know about MM11, Mega Man has only sold over 1 million 5 times, and the Legacy collection took 3 or so years to do so. I mean, I would be pleasantly surprised if in a few months we here Mega Man 11 sold 1 million (or over 500k+) as that could be a good sign. But we'll have to see.

Neat, and it doesn't even list Switch and 3DS on there site so this probably doesn't even include those versions.

Hopefully 11 and X Collection crack it too.

Capcom's slightly inconsistent on that list, I think those versions are included. Dead RIsing 4's been on PS4 for around a year now but the chart doesn't show PS4 on it. As for the X collection and 11 that would be quite amazing.

Very cool. It's nice that there's a fairly good new Mega Man game again. Haven't been able to say that in a LONG while. Some of those later X series games on the recently released collection look really bad.

X8 is a series favorite so I wouldn't be sure on that.

petran79

Banned
Surprised to hear this. I read game emulation left a lot to be desired, same for X collection

Last edited:
Capcom's slightly inconsistent on that list, I think those versions are included. Dead Rising 4's been on PS4 for around a year now but the chart doesn't show PS4 on it. As for the X collection and 11 that would be quite amazing.
Look at Resident Evil 4 on that list, it's there 4 times (GameCube, PS2, Wii, and PS4/X1 are all counted individually). Also Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition is counted separate from the regular version, when it's just a DLC bundle edition, and then PS4/X1 is yet again separate. Dead Rising 4 PS4 is "Frank's Big Package" DLC bundle edition so it would also be counted different, which means DR4's million sales is the X1 and PC version alone.

In most cases it looks like Capcom counts re-releases (even it's just a DLC bundle edition), ports that add additional content, and later ports as separate releases for some reason. Which also makes sales more annoying to figure out, like RE7 is listed at 5.7 million, but there is a Gold Edition, so does that mean the game is probably actually over 6 million now because of it, or was this Gold Edition included with normal sales unlike previous complete editions?

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
this was the first Mega Man game i bought since my grandparents got us Mega Man X for Christmas of 1993. that was a magical evening, i can remember it now, my mom let us open a present the day before. playing through that amazing game on Christmas eve was incredible.

still need to check out 11. my god, there are so many games to play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom