• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megadrive/Genesis Mini: Sept 19 release date, $70, M2 doing the emulation, 40 Games (inc Castlevania)

cryptoadam

Banned
You have to be a troll?

Look I may live under a bridge and require a toll to get the boys soul, but I ain't no troll.

But yes SNES controller over Genesis controller. Its why today we have controllers with 4 face buttons and shoulder buttons instead of silly 3 button configuration.

Maguro

Look I may live under a bridge and require a toll to get the boys soul, but I ain't no troll.

But yes SNES controller over Genesis controller. Its why today we have controllers with 4 face buttons and shoulder buttons instead of silly 3 button configuration.

The 6 Button Sega controller is of superior quality to any controller at that time. The button layout was a good idea from Nintendo, but the SNES controller is not very comfortable. The D pad hurts after a while (too hard) and it does not lie confortable in the hand. I play every day 16 bit games with the original hardware/controllers - i mean thats just my individual opinion. The SNES controller is good for what it is and the button layout was important but Sega was superior in hardware (build quality).

cryptoadam

Banned
The 6 Button Sega controller is of superior quality to any controller at that time. The button layout was a good idea from Nintendo, but the SNES controller is not very comfortable. The D pad hurts after a while (too hard) and it does not lie confortable in the hand. I play every day 16 bit games with the original hardware/controllers - i mean thats just my individual opinion. The SNES controller is good for what it is and the button layout was important but Sega was superior in hardware (build quality).

We are talking about the 3 button controllers. Unfortunately this mini system is NOT coming with 6 button. I was excited at first because someone said it was the 6 button but turns out its the 3 button. Having to double tap or press start to play a game because of lack of buttons makes it worse right there. and 3 buttons is just odd the way they are shaped. If it was a diamond shape it would make more sense but its just 3 horizontal buttons.

As far as build quality I would have to defer to you since I haven't used these controllers in a while. But I think the layout and button advantage give the SNES the edge. And again SNES design has become standard for generations since then. Every controller that comes out has the basic SNES design of 4 face buttons and shoulder buttons. No one is making 3 horizontal button controllers and if they did they would be laughed out of the industry.

RAIDEN1

How could they leave out Shinobi and Streets of Rage series? Also it will be interesting to see how it performs against the Mega SG which recently came out...

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
How could they leave out Shinobi and Streets of Rage series? ...
1/4 of the list has been revealed.

You'll have Streets of Rage, Shinobi but not all the episodes because there is only 40 slots and tiers games. (50 is not enough for Sega Games only).

But keep in mind Nintendo and Sony only have 20 games on their mini.

The Megadrive mini 40 with probably a better emulation. (M2)

THANKS Sega, i'll buy it twice :) (jap and Euro)

Last edited:
It would be great if they just hand pick the best of a SEGA Series such as Streets of Rage and Golden Axe and give us great Japanese Third Party exclusives. Bloodlines is a good start but I hope they get Alisia Dragoon, Rocket Knight and the like in there too.

Last edited:

Kazza

It would be great if they just hand pick the best of a SEGA Series such as Streets of Rage and Golden Axe and give us great Japanese Third Party exclusives. Bloodlines is a good start but I hope they get Alisia Dragoon, Rocket Knight and the like in there too.

I hope that the game selection are very different for each region.Speaking of third party games, it looks like they'll be playing a much bigger role than in previous collections:

They already have Konami on board, and I hope they can get Capcom, EA, Disney etc to release their games too.

Kazza

Also, for those hoping for a Saturn mini, it would take at least 10 years until the chips became cheap enough to make this viable, at least according to Megadrive Mini project leader Hiroyuki Miyazaki in an interview with IGN Japan.

He also said that he is unsure if their is sufficient demand for a Master System Mini.

Pimpbaa

I know the 6 button controller is unquestionably better, but personally I spent most of my time with the 3 button controller on the Genesis. I'd rather use the 3 button controller for the same reason I use CRT simulating filters in emulators, I want to replicate how I played those games back then.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
We are talking about the 3 button controllers. Unfortunately this mini system is NOT coming with 6 button. I was excited at first because someone said it was the 6 button but turns out its the 3 button. Having to double tap or press start to play a game because of lack of buttons makes it worse right there. and 3 buttons is just odd the way they are shaped. If it was a diamond shape it would make more sense but its just 3 horizontal buttons.

As far as build quality I would have to defer to you since I haven't used these controllers in a while. But I think the layout and button advantage give the SNES the edge. And again SNES design has become standard for generations since then. Every controller that comes out has the basic SNES design of 4 face buttons and shoulder buttons. No one is making 3 horizontal button controllers and if they did they would be laughed out of the industry.
The Japanese version does have the superior 6 button layout. It a great controller that just shits all over the snes one Imo. That whole standard for gens is bull. Look at the 64,GC,Wii,Wiiu. For any non 3D or shooter game the Saturn/6 button controller just works better and is one of the highest regarded controller ever made by people that grew up in the 80s.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
He also said that he is unsure if their is sufficient demand for a Master System Mini.
I see they don't want to give into South America's demands.
018288745-fmm00.jpg

I am just waiting until some knobhead comes in this thread and starts squaking about raspberry pi and how good it is .
Here goes:
Damn, bought a nice Mark 1 - hull for my RasPi just 2 months ago... now I will have two MD-Minis standing there, next to the two MD-Biggies... Goddammit! :)

I hope that the game selection are very different for each region.Speaking of third party games, it looks like they'll be playing a much bigger role than in previous collections:

They already have Konami on board, and I hope they can get Capcom, EA, Disney etc to release their games too.

I only hope that Pulseman can come Westward if Game Freak are on board! Perhaps M2 themselves cam add in MUSHA?

Regarding the Master System Mini, I am sure people would buy it if the Power Strike Series, Kenseiden and perhaps Ax Battler get on there too.

If they wanted to, they could make it a Master System/Game Mini to add the Shining Force Game and Triple Trouble on there also!!!

Last edited:

The Snake

I don't need this at all but I'll get it to support Sega.

Really bummed that the US versiononly has the 3-button controller. I know the 6-button wasn't as prominent in the US but that's not a good excuse. With the inclusion of Comix Zone a lotta people are really gonna wish they had those three extra buttons. I might just get the Japanese version.

Hopefully it's cracked quickly, and I'm hoping we can get it working with 8bitdo controllers. I have two of those recently released wireless Genesis controllers and they're lovely.

HotPocket69

Banned
M2 doing the emulation is huge

Yuzo doing the menu music is the icing on the cake

Sucks that the US versions are getting the 3 button controller though

RAIDEN1

Why would Sega bring out a mini version of a console that dragged their name in the mud (ie the Saturn) I don't know...it was no-where near as successful as the Genesis/Megadrive...

The Snake

Why would Sega bring out a mini version of a console that dragged their name in the mud (ie the Saturn) I don't know...it was no-where near as successful as the Genesis/Megadrive...

A Japanese mini Saturn would make sense. An American one would not.

Kazza

In some ways that makes it even more worth bringing out. There are a lot of great games on the Saturn and, unlike the Megadrive, not many people ever got the chance to play them.

Kazza

Apparently, the Japanese version will feature Outrun 2019 and Sword of Vermillion. I wonder if Outrun 2019 was particularly successful in Japan, or if it was just chosen because of the name/year? A (now retracted) Sega press release also showed Earthworm Jim, so that could be coming to Western versions,

Fat Frog

Apparently, the Japanese version will feature Outrun 2019 and Sword of Vermillion. I wonder if Outrun 2019 was particularly successful in Japan, or if it was just chosen because of the name/year? A (now retracted) Sega press release also showed Earthworm Jim, so that could be coming to Western versions,
Accordiñg to the rumour, it's asia version, not japanese which is different. (Cannot confirm either)

Vitacat

I don't need this at all but I'll get it to support Sega.

Really bummed that the US versiononly has the 3-button controller. I know the 6-button wasn't as prominent in the US but that's not a good excuse. With the inclusion of Comix Zone a lotta people are really gonna wish they had those three extra buttons. I might just get the Japanese version.

Hopefully it's cracked quickly, and I'm hoping we can get it working with 8bitdo controllers. I have two of those recently released wireless Genesis controllers and they're lovely.

Probably in the minority, but I'm actually happy about the 3 button controllers. I was an early adopter of the Genesis back when, so the 3 button controllers are the OG. But yeah, if/when it gets hacked to run more 6 button games and we can use 6 button controls that would be cool.

TLZ

Banned
Looks like I'll be getting the Japanese version. The colors are better plus the 6 button controller. Only issue is the Japanese language, but I suppose It'll be hacked later so I can add my English versions (hopefully).

Edit: Just pre-ordered the Japanese version from nin-nin-game. Yey \o/

Last edited:

Xenon

Looks like I'll be getting the Japanese version. The colors are better plus the 6 button controller. Only issue is the Japanese language, but I suppose It'll be hacked later so I can add my English versions (hopefully).

Edit: Just pre-ordered the Japanese version from nin-nin-game. Yey \o/

This is tempting. How much? I wonder if they will sell controllers separately. I just dont get their logic here, except maybe big fat American hands.

The Snake

This is tempting. How much? I wonder if they will sell controllers separately. I just dont get their logic here, except maybe big fat American hands.

I imagine the officially licensed USB Mega Drive/Genesis controllers would be the sold-separately controllers you're talking about.

Xenon

I imagine the officially licensed USB Mega Drive/Genesis controllers would be the sold-separately controllers you're talking about.

Yeah, I just learned there are 1 or 2 controller bundles in Japan. So it makes sense they are selling separate. Thanks

I wonder whats getting cut from the console collections.

ps3 had about 48 titles. ps4 had over 50.

40 is a pretty substantial cut back. particularly if you add all the sequels big IPs got on that one system.

TLZ

Banned
Thanks

Not sure about a presale from nin-nin-game. Never heard of them. Good price though.
Yea. Apparently they've been around for 10 years or more, I think. And have a lot of likes on Facebook and a good rating on trustpilot. I hope they come through and not disappoint!

Fat Frog

Genesis mini is 1st on Amazon US, UK, FR, JP.
Master System and Dreamcast Mini confirmed !

Kazza

Genesis mini is 1st on Amazon US, UK, FR, JP.
Master System and Dreamcast Mini confirmed !

Hmm, I was planning to wait for more games to be revealed before ordering, but now I'm becoming a little concerned that they will sell out. With the number of Megadrive collections and clone consoles released over the years, I didn't think the appetite would be that great, but it seems to be selling well.

The Snake

Hmm, I was planning to wait for more games to be revealed before ordering, but now I'm becoming a little concerned that they will sell out. With the number of Megadrive collections and clone consoles released over the years, I didn't think the appetite would be that great, but it seems to be selling well.

I pre-ordered on Amazon even though I'm not 100% sold on it. I can always cancel before it comes out.

Mainly what I'm waiting on is any sort of indication that we can use 8bitdo controllers on this.

Kazza

Mainly what I'm waiting on is any sort of indication that we can use 8bitdo controllers on this.

Since it uses USB ports for the controllers, you probably will be able to, but it's also possible that Sega will restrict compatibility to the officially licensed Retrobit controllers. We may not know for sure until someone tries the 8bitdo ones post-release.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Dang this looks good. Unfortunately I will require at least 2 Shinobi games before considering purchase. How can you overlook Shinobi 2/3?

Fat Frog

It will be sold out. Then Sega will change the plastic and sell Megadrive 2, then the model 3 (US exclusive), and then the Nomad Mini. Many of us will be forced to buy every version lol.

The Snake

It will be sold out. Then Sega will change the plastic and sell Megadrive 2, then the model 3 (US exclusive), and then the Nomad Mini. Many of us will be forced to buy every version lol.

Hell, it might just sell out based on the fact that many of us made a promise back in 2001 that we'd buy whatever console Sega releases next.

I mean, this is technically it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fat Frog

Hell, it might just sell out based on the fact that many of us made a promise back in 2001 that we'd buy whatever console Sega releases next.

I mean, this is technically it :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Our goal: 100 millions mini consoles sold for 2030(MD, MS, DC). It leaves Sega the time to produce their Saturn Mini and Dreamcast 2 :).

But i'm pretty sure the Minis will be more successful than OG consoles (except for the Genesis Maybe). Sega became a large part of Video Games history and more popular every year. I saw a recent thread on Era, it's crazy how world has changed. (There were like 60% of Sega Fans and 15% of haters) With hype around Shin Sakura Taisen, the Genesis mini, Sonic being a blockbuster on mobile, on Switch. Who can stop Sega new popularities ?

Fox Mulder

Will have to see how it turns out. Only Nintendo has done these well with UI, features, and library.

ATGames was a shit factory, but Sega licensed their name to them for years and put out some of their own uninspired compilations. There also won't be Sonic 3.

They need to go out and get stuff from EA, Konami, and Capcom.

Top Bottom