• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megadrive/Genesis Mini: Sept 19 release date, $70, M2 doing the emulation, 40 Games (inc Castlevania)

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Well, it looks like they couldn't resist sticking another Sonic game in the Western versions (not that I'm really complaining). Musha is a big loss and some of the Japanese sgtrategy games sound interesting, but Shinobi 3, Earthworm Jim and Castle of Illusion are all great additions.
Two Mickey games and Earthwork Jim is neat. No one in the West gives a shit about shmups so that's why they're likely sticking to a handful of known ones. :messenger_expressionless:

Kinda torn up about Game no Kanzume Otokuyou simply because it included Flicky, one of my all-time favorite arcade games. Bummer.

Also, Super Fantasy Zone is available on both the Japanese and Western versions, so...

Yeah. Best Fantasy Zone.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Here are the 10 new Western titles.
  • Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole
  • Contra Hard Corps/Probotector
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Streets of Rage II
  • Super Fantasy Zone
  • Thunder Force III
  • World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Earthworm Jim was a US game I forgot about in the post above.

No MUSHA for us. :(
Buy all the megadrive mini then ha ha ha.

@ the dusk
Contra is called probotector here

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Capcom has been strangely absent so far, I need my Strider, Ghouls 'N Ghosts, Mercs, Chiki Chiki Boys and Mega Man: The Wily Wars!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Capcom has been strangely absent so far, I need my Strider, Ghouls 'N Ghosts, Mercs, Chiki Chiki Boys and Mega Man: The Wily Wars!
Well...

Not quite what you're asking for, but this answers why they've been "strangely absent".

Myself, I want another genre-specific pack like the Belt Action Collection. Gimme a respectable number of arcade shmups, or fighters, or even a Belt Action Vol. 2.

I don't like these mixed packs.

The lack of M.U.S.H.A. in the Western release is further killing my enthusiasm for this thing. Maybe it'll find a space in the remaining games, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Fat Frog

The lack of M.U.S.H.A. in the Western release is further killing my enthusiasm for this thing. Maybe it'll find a space in the remaining games, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Hard corps, Disney, Technosoft, Earthworm Jim, Landstalker are not appealing to you ? I don't imagine your reaction for the SNES Mini with no schmup, no BTA, no Disney, no puzzle, no strategy games.

Last edited:

lachesis

Still have another 20 game list to be released - so I'm pretty hopeful that MUSHA Aleste will be part of the list. I just preordered it and am quite excited!

Hard corps, Disney, Technosoft, Earthworm Jim, Landstalker are not appealing to you ? I don't imagine your reaction for the SNES Mini with no schmup, no BTA, no Disney, no puzzle, no strategy games.
People value things differently. M.U.S.H.A. would be a significant value add for what is essentially a locked-down device, while I'd rather pull weeds than play Earthworm Jim. If you're happy with the current lineup, that's great; at the moment, I'm not especially interested in what's being offered in the West, and this isn't the type of thing I'd probably import.

Fat Frog

I understand for Earthworm Jim. But Musha Aleste fans often love Technosoft games... Maybe you already bought it on 3DS , indeed.

Last edited:
I understand for Earthworm Jim. But Musha Aleste fans often love Technosoft games... Maybe you already bought it on 3DS , indeed.
I enjoy Technosoft games, but I also have other ways to play the company's titles. The draw of this mini console would be convenience and ostensibly the involvement of M2, as they relate to games on offer. M.U.S.H.A., for me, is a value add, more so than the other nine recently-announced games.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm happy to see this is getting a good mix of games and that the mix seems to be (more or less) pretty diverse from the Genesis collection that's currently for sale on the Switch, PS4, and Xbox One.

I'd love to see the new additions announced for this released as DLC for those consoles, even if it's $5 per game.

Fat Frog

I'm happy to see this is getting a good mix of games and that the mix seems to be (more or less) pretty diverse from the Genesis collection that's currently for sale on the Switch, PS4, and Xbox One.

I'd love to see the new additions announced for this released as DLC for those consoles, even if it's $5 per game.
That's a great idea. Otherwise fans will crack the system too quickly.
I would pay for new releases, Sega ! Do you hear us ? No Steam, Sony or Nintendo fees, our money right inside your pocket !

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Great games, great price, that's what matters. Than you have an opinion on the quality of the emulation, replay-ability etc.

Yo what the flying fuck, how come glorious nippon get MUSHA and we don't? I'll just homebrew the living shit out of this anyway, but goddamn it's the principle that matters.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Here are the 10 new Western titles.
  • Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole
  • Contra Hard Corps/Probotector
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Streets of Rage II
  • Super Fantasy Zone
  • Thunder Force III
  • World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Earthworm Jim was a US game I forgot about in the post above.

No MUSHA for us. :(

Day one!!!

Silvawuff

Those Mickey games are amazing! Aaah! Glad to see them getting some love here. I'm hoping for Dynamite Headdy and maybe some Aero the Acrobat love. (The spinoff, Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel, literally saved my life.)

Orta

Banned
Some absolutely excellent choices so far, and a few I was almost hoping against hope would be included.

Give me Mercs, EA Hockey, Batman, Robocod and Devil Crash and a happy chappie I'll be.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Nice list already.

I'm sure it'll be hackable, but would like to see a sports title, even Mutant League Football. I also want Rocket Knight Adventures, Jungle/Desert Strike, Outrun.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Nice list already.

I'm sure it'll be hackable, but would like to see a sports title, even Mutant League Football. I also want Rocket Knight Adventures, Jungle/Desert Strike, Outrun.
Oh yeah desert strike! Played the shit out of it back then.

2 others I've also played a lot that I don't precisely remember their names where a WWF game and an EA Baseball game that I thought looked so realistic then.

Xenon

I'M really digging their choices and the way they are announcing these games. How awesome would it be if they included hidden Master System games or sold an add on key for $20-$30.

Kazza

The only announced game I would prefer to be left off the list so far is Space Harrier 2. While it was a decent effort for a launch title, like many of Sega's super-scaler arcade conversions, it's a bit too choppy now to be really enjoyable, imho. At least we haven't seen any games which were even terrible at the time, such as Super Thunder Blade and Galaxy Force 2 (the arcade/3DS versions were great, but not the Megadrive ones).

I ever quite got the hate for Altered Beast, so I don't mind that being included. Although simple, it still plays very smoothly, is important historically (as the first pack-in) and has 2 player co-op. If there were only going to be 20 games then I would leave it out, but I can accept it being on a list of 40.

MMaRsu

Banned
Can someone with a Twitter account tell Sega Europe to fuck off for not including an AC adapter? Even NA gets one. Well, there goes my interest in buying one. "Ready to plug and play" my ass. Pretty sure that's deceptive marketing.

done

Damn that is a stupid decision by SEGA Europe. Really hoping they include it Free of Charge now or else I will be cancelling my order for this.

In regards to the remaining 20 I am hopeful we will get these games (my wishlist and not on SEGA AGES):

Monster World IV

Pulseman

Phantasy Star 4 or 2 (likely 4)

Rocket Knight Adventures

Alisia Dragoon

Soliel/Sword of Centy/Ragnacenty

Ranger X

Elemental Master (or Twinkle Tale if they can get the rights to it)

Ristar

Golden Axe

Vectorman (or Vectorman 2...preferably 2)

Strider

Mega Man: The Wily Wars (to compensate for the Japanese Game collection)

Alien Soldier (probably will get Dynamite Headdy instead)

Story of Thor

Cyborg Justice

Sub Terraria (Western Exclusive)

Taz Mania: Escape from Mars (if they get the WB Licence) Western Exclusive

Mortal Kombat (any of them)

Marvel Land (Tamlit's Adventure)

I am guessing a few will get in (Pulseman, Monster World 4) but they maybe Japanese exclusive.

I would love OutRunners but fear it has licensing issues.

Please don't include Alex Kidd SEGA, it was a bad bad game.

Last edited:

Kazza

Damn you, when I saw the bump I thought the next 10 games had been released

200.webp

To answer your question, playasia has a good reputation for ordering things from Japan.

Kazza

Since this thread has already been bumped anyway, I might as well add this:

Maybe a hint that Revenge of Shinobi will be among the final 20 games (or maybe Koshiro is just feeling nostalgic). Someone also asked him about the possibility of another 2D Shinobi:

Last edited:

Kazza

I really liked the unlockables in the 360/PS3 collection. Although I don't expect unlockable games, I hope we at least get adverts, concept art etc.

I'd buy the system if it included Thunderforce IV, Battle Mania: Daiginjo, Phantasy Star IV and Alien Soldier as well, they're some of the best games on the Mega Drive. I see some nice inclusions, like MUSHA which is an extremely valuable addition (and stupidly exclusive to Japan? That's not good at all) and Castlevania: Bloodlines as well.

And some very bad inclusions like Altered Beast (for God's sake, leave that sub-mediocre arcade port alone already. It was never good, and it serves only to undermine the brilliant library of video games on the Mega Drive), Mean Bean Machine (a slightly above-mediocre puzzle game ..? What. ), and a whole lot of questionable titles that are there, i suspect, only because they have some legacy attached.

Mega Drive is one of my favorite consoles ever made, so i was keeping an eye on this. Given the current lineup shown, i'm skeptical of the rest. I think they're making this thing more or less the same deal as their other countless Genesis/Mega Drive collections (meaning a whole lot of sub-mediocre ports simply because of a little legacy attached to them), which personally is disappointing - this could have been something much more special containing the absolute best of the system, a showcase for enthusiasts and potential new individuals as well. Because that's exactly what this thing is meant to be partially; And also, a homage to the Mega Drive.

Crew 511A

I'd buy the system if it included Thunderforce IV, Battle Mania: Daiginjo, Phantasy Star IV and Alien Soldier as well, they're some of the best games on the Mega Drive. I see some nice inclusions, like MUSHA which is an extremely valuable addition (and stupidly exclusive to Japan? That's not good at all) and Castlevania: Bloodlines as well.

And some very bad inclusions like Altered Beast (for God's sake, leave that sub-mediocre arcade port alone already. It was never good, and it serves only to undermine the brilliant library of video games on the Mega Drive), Mean Bean Machine (a slightly above-mediocre puzzle game ..? What. ), and a whole lot of questionable titles that are there, i suspect, only because they have some legacy attached.

Mega Drive is one of my favorite consoles ever made, so i was keeping an eye on this. Given the current lineup shown, i'm skeptical of the rest. I think they're making this thing more or less the same deal as their other countless Genesis/Mega Drive collections (meaning a whole lot of sub-mediocre ports simply because of a little legacy attached to them), which personally is disappointing - this could have been something much more special containing the absolute best of the system, a showcase for enthusiasts and potential new individuals as well. Because that's exactly what this thing is meant to be partially; And also, a homage to the Mega Drive.

I think Altered Beast almost has to be on there. For a lot of us, this is the first Genesis game we owned. No, it's not a great game, but this thing is being sold for nostalgia purposes.

Besides, if there's a USB port on this thing, someone will find a way to hack it. Hopefully Sega considers this and makes it easy.

Fat Frog

I agree for Mediocre titles but the addition of Konami, Technosoft, Disney and probably other companies make this mini far better than previous collections(Especially with M2 enhancing OG games).

Better selection, publishers diversity, enhanced games, it's a different world despite a few bad choices.

Fat Frog

I can't convey how stoked I am about this. I keep getting the warm fuzzies thinking about Sega of old and how rad they were.
2019 Sega is not that bad too. At the end of the year, they'll probably be the only publisher remaining in the top 3 Metacritic publisher ranking for the 5th year. The last 4 years, they were the only publisher that was always above 75%. Not Capcom, not Nintendo, not Sony, just Sega... (for 2018, there was one mediocre game called Shining Resonance. In 2019, the doubt is about team sonic racing but previews are good so there is no reason Sega doesn't remain in the top).

Even more impressive, Sega's best outputs and more ambitious projects are planned for 2020 : AAA from Alien Isolation team, Shin Sakura Wars (staff from Valkyria, Skies of Arcadia, 428, Gundam 083 stardust memories), shin Megami Tensei 5, Atlus biggest project (Re Fantasy), Shin Yakuza with others Lindbergh ports ?

That means Sega has the most solid scores of the industry for now (not highest peaks) and could finish the gen (2020) by reaching the #1 metacritic ranking... (some say they're already number 1 since Capcom only released 15 games in 2018, Sega launched 30 games. Pretty easy to understand it's easy for Capcom to beat Sega by 0,8. (79,3 vs 78,5)

Last edited:
Top Bottom