• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megadrive/Genesis Mini: Sept 19 release date, $70, M2 doing the emulation, 40 Games (inc Castlevania)

HeresJohnny

2019 Sega is not that bad too. At the end of the year, they'll probably be the only publisher remaining in the top 3 Metacritic publisher ranking for the 5th year. The last 4 years, they were the only publisher that was always above 75%. Not Capcom, not Nintendo, not Sony, just Sega... (for 2018, there was one mediocre game called Shining Resonance. In 2019, the doubt is about team sonic racing but previews are good so there is no reason Sega doesn't remain in the top).

Even more impressive, Sega's best outputs and more ambitious projects are planned for 2020 : AAA from Alien Isolation team, Shin Sakura Wars (staff from Valkyria, Skies of Arcadia, 428, Gundam 083 stardust memories), shin Megami Tensei 5, Atlus biggest project (Re Fantasy), Shin Yakuza with others Lindbergh ports ?

That means Sega has the most solid scores of the industry for now (not highest peaks) and could finish the gen (2020) by reaching the #1 metacritic ranking... (some say they're already number 1 since Capcom only released 15 games in 2018, Sega launched 30 games. Pretty easy to understand it's easy for Capcom to beat Sega by 0,8. (79,3 vs 78,5)

Alien Isolation is my GotG. So good.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
I've heard it's going to have all regions for each game, so no need to worry about the 50Hz thing.
There was also a japanese survey for wished functionalities. There will surprises in both areas.
HeresJohnny HeresJohnny
Their new game will be the biggest project of Sega West Ever made.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Exciting to see positive buzz around SEGA these days.
The bad buzz post Dreamcast was quite unfair in my opinion.

Sega was a dying company, filled with debts...
You cannot expect cutting edge and tremendously expensive revolutions like Shenmue after the Dreamcast. It killed them.

Sega had to recover, deal with some talent's departure and find a way to come back.

Step by step, Sega found new paths.
Of course, they cannot release as much games as the Megadrive era (the staff of Phantasty Star 2 was 20 people, the new Sakura more than 100), but they still have more games than any other publisher according to metacritic and the Sega World Studios are the most balanced in term of quality: AM1 (House of the Dead Scarlet Dawn), AM2 (Border Break), Yakuza Studio (Sega CS1), Sega CS2 (Valkyria, Puyo, Sakura), TCA (Alien Isolation), Atlus (Persona 5).

Think about it, in the RPG domain Sega has the usual Atlus (SMT serie) + the New Studio Zero (RE Fantasy) + Sega veterans like Terada (Advanced Daisenryaku, Sakura Wars), Tanaka (Valkyria Chronicles), Kodama (Skies of Arcadia), Sakai (PSO), Yoshida (Phantasy Star 2 and 4).

This an absolute incredible dream team of RPG makers.

For Fighting Games, they have Kataoka (Fighting Vipers, Fighter Megamix), Osaki (Virtua Fighter 5 FS)

For racers, some said the Sega Rally 95 director came back and now works with AM1 for the new Sega World Drivers... Plus, Sega still has in its pocket Osaki (Out Run 2), Sakamoto (F-Zero GX), Nagoshi (Daytona USA).

Now, it's fair to judge Sega as a normal publisher, they had time to recover and they did.
Bad games ? Top of metacritic.
Not enough games ? More than any other publisher.

The Megadrive mini is another proof Sega is still improving and the new company with Atlus, the Sega Studios in the same building will bring exciting projects.

Last edited:
The bad buzz post Dreamcast was quite unfair in my opinion.

Sega was a dying company, filled with debts...
You cannot expect cutting edge and tremendously expensive revolutions like Shenmue after the Dreamcast. It killed them.

Sega had to recover, deal with some talent's departure and find a way to come back.

Step by step, Sega found new paths.
Of course, they cannot release as much games as the Megadrive era (the staff of Phantasty Star 2 was 20 people, the new Sakura more than 100), but they still have more games than any other publisher according to metacritic and the Sega World Studios are the most balanced in term of quality: AM1 (House of the Dead Scarlet Dawn), AM2 (Border Break), Yakuza Studio (Sega CS1), Sega CS2 (Valkyria, Puyo, Sakura), TCA (Alien Isolation), Atlus (Persona 5).

Think about it, in the RPG domain Sega has the usual Atlus (SMT serie) + the New Studio Zero (RE Fantasy) + Sega veterans like Terada (Advanced Daisenryaku, Sakura Wars), Tanaka (Valkyria Chronicles), Kodama (Skies of Arcadia), Sakai (PSO), Yoshida (Phantasy Star 2 and 4).

This an absolute incredible dream team of RPG makers.

For Fighting Games, they have Kataoka (Fighting Vipers, Fighter Megamix), Osaki (Virtua Fighter 5 FS)

For racers, some said the Sega Rally 95 director came back and now works with AM1 for the new Sega World Drivers... Plus, Sega still has in its pocket Osaki (Out Run 2), Sakamoto (F-Zero GX), Nagoshi (Daytona USA).

Now, it's fair to judge Sega as a normal publisher, they had time to recover and they did.
Bad games ? Top of metacritic.
Not enough games ? More than any other publisher.

The Megadrive mini is another proof Sega is still improving and the new company with Atlus, the Sega Studios in the same building will bring exciting projects.

Exactly! I honestly think SEGA have the best producers of RPGs regardless of era.

I can't say much about their Arcade Racer Personnel but I think they have done an overall good job over the years.

I understand they had to let go of staff post Dreamcast but they have recovered nicely from the Dark Ages.

It is quite upsetting to see people insult SEGA during those bad times and wish they saw the bigger picture.

As someone who grew up with SEGA and was out of the picture between their Dreamcast/Post Dreamcast era. I can appreciate what they did back then and now in measures.

ATLUS have improved their Western Output as I didn't have much faith in SEGA of America outside of the Sonic franchise, and as someone who never cared for ATLUS has made me a fan of their efforts as of late. :)

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Why no Ranger X?
Nobody knows Ranger X in the west (only on Gaf, Era), and the Megadrive wasn't as popular as the Saturn in Japan.
There are still 20 slots left, though.

But there are more chances for another nextech game, Ragna Centy/Soleil.

Codes 208

I’m having a hard time getting excited for this. Aside from the “me too!” Aspect of following the current trend of classic relaunches, sega already constantly rereleases their games as collections. Sonic gem collection + on ps2/Xbox, sega Collection on ps3/360 and genesis classics on PS4/xbo.

Aside from hardware, is this really any different?

K1Expwy

Nobody knows Ranger X in the west (only on Gaf, Era), and the Megadrive wasn't as popular as the Saturn in Japan.
There are still 20 slots left, though.

But there are more chances for another nextech game, Ragna Centy/Soleil.
Sega is notorious for abandoning fan favorite IPs. It's a pretty terrible habit. If Capcom can re-release long lost games like Battle Circuit and Alien vs Predator, it wouldn't hurt Sega to dig in the crates for one or two titles.

Fat Frog

I’m having a hard time getting excited for this. Aside from the “me too!” Aspect of following the current trend of classic relaunches, sega already constantly rereleases their games as collections. Sonic gem collection + on ps2/Xbox, sega Collection on ps3/360 and genesis classics on PS4/xbo.

Yes. Previous collections were Sega only games and mediocre emulation.

The Megadrive mini is Sega, tiers, niche games like Musha , god tiers emulation and blow job for Sega Fans. ( Yuzo Koshiro doing the title screens music)

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I don't know if I'll be buying this or not. A hard maybe.
My advice ? HARD PASS
For 80 bucks you can have the new call of duty with a poster "God bless America", Persona 5 R(ecycle) with Joker Action figure, or Tekken 7 Nina Mouse boobs Pad edition.

With the mini it's only 40 games, fugly pixels and 1000 hours of gameplay without cinematic.

This is pure scam :/

Fox Mulder

The other things always had questionable emulation and lacked third party games.

I do wonder if this does well. Nintendo killed it with their classics, but Sega has released AtGames Genesis mini garbage for years that may have caused damage. Sony also shit out their horrible ps1 classic that sits on shelves. Sega does have a compilation out on platforms and people may be over these.

Kazza

The other things always had questionable emulation and lacked third party games.

I do wonder if this does well. Nintendo killed it with their classics, but Sega has released AtGames Genesis mini garbage for years that may have caused damage. Sony also shit out their horrible ps1 classic that sits on shelves. Sega does have a compilation out on platforms and people may be over these.

That's a good point. Despite putting a really good effort into this one, Sega may have already missed the boat. We still don't know for sure why the PS Classic failed. Was it because of its numerous emulation issues and not so stellar game collection, or did people just not have the nostalgia for it? There's also the danger that less informed people might think "Hey, why am I buying this official Sega one with only 40 games, when this AT Games one says it has 80 games?"

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The fact that Japan has M.U.S.H.A and the West has Altered Beast makes me want to punch SEGA. They threw that stupid game onto the SEGA 3D Classic collection, too. Ecco the Dolphin is another throwaway (sorry, New Age hippies). Ahh, but at least the West is getting Super Fantasy Zone. Go look up prices for a (non-repro) copy of it. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping for at least one or two more racing games. I think the selection is pretty good so far, and I gotta support mah bois M2.

Riven326

Banned
I love the idea of these classic consoles. But what completely kills them for me is the fact that you can't download additional games.

Fox Mulder

The fact that Japan has M.U.S.H.A and the West has Altered Beast makes me want to punch SEGA. They threw that stupid game onto the SEGA 3D Classic collection, too. Ecco the Dolphin is another throwaway (sorry, New Age hippies). Ahh, but at least the West is getting Super Fantasy Zone. Go look up prices for a (non-repro) copy of it. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping for at least one or two more racing games. I think the selection is pretty good so far, and I gotta support mah bois M2.

Altered Beast is fucking trash, but we're just always going to be stuck with it in classic collections.

Xenon

Really have a love hate thing going on with this spreading out of the released titles. I respect their use of it to build hype. But they're fuckers for making me wait.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Just want Ranger X and Xmen-2: Clone Wars and General Chaos.

I didn't realize how unknown Ranger-X was as a kid. Someone from my boy-scout troop traded it with me for Vector-Man and I always felt like I made out on the trade.

Last edited:
Looks like we'll be getting the next 10 games on May 16th (8pm Japanese time).

My prediction:

Golden Axe
Revenge of Shinobi
Alien Soldier
Rocket Knight Adventures
Strider
Quackshot
Story of Thor
Ghouls & Ghosts
Strider
Pulseman

Here is my prediction:

Rocket Knight Adventures
Pulseman
Alisia Dragoon
Ranger X
Soliel/Crusader of Centy
Strider
Phantasy Star IV
Monster World IV
Mega Man Wily Wars
Marvel Land/Talmit's Adventure

Is it expensive to import from Europe? I got Super Fantasy Zone about 4 years ago for £9 CIB.

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I think I might stop getting these classic systems and just save for those Analogue systems. Gotta save money for those though :S

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Is it expensive to import from Europe? I got Super Fantasy Zone about 4 years ago for £9 CIB.
I never considered the EU version because I thought there would be a compatibility issue. Can a US Genesis play European games too? I forget if the 50hz vs 60hz issue affected EU imports played on US systems. :pie_thinking:

Helios

Don't mind me. I'm just here to participate in a golden thread.
2p1p4v.gif

Thanks Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese for this gif.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Why this thread is golden and have a ribbon?

Is this because if you gift gold to a user automatically the thread transforms in gold?

Last edited:
Altered Beast is fucking trash, but we're just always going to be stuck with it in classic collections.
My only problem with Altered Beast, and Golden Axe for that matter, is that Sega has their arcade versions that were never put in any collections... Their arcade hits should be playable in original form.

These arcade games should leave their place to actual home games like Gaiares :p

I never considered the EU version because I thought there would be a compatibility issue. Can a US Genesis play European games too? I forget if the 50hz vs 60hz issue affected EU imports played on US systems. :pie_thinking:

I would need to find that out for you, but I do believe you can use Genesis games on a European Mega Drive but it would play at 50hz.

I recall that putting the game in a Japanese Unit will cause it to have the Japanese Menu though and will stay at 60hz because they have them both in the cartridge? I would need to look back on that one. It has gone up from the last time I saw it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom