• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megadrive/Genesis Mini: Sept 19 release date, $70, M2 doing the emulation, 40 Games (inc Castlevania)

My prediction:

1. Rocket Knight Adventures
2. Revenge of Shinobi
3. Ghouls N Ghosts
4. Dynamite Heady
5. Phantasy Star IV
6. Ristar
7. Trouble Shooter
8. Road Rash II
9. Street Fighter 2: SCE/ Mortal Kombat II
10. Beyond Oasis

Kazza

Ok, the next 10 Japanese games are being slowly announced, and it looks like Capcom is finally on board. The stream is ongoing and it may take a while for them all the be announced, as it seems they are actually playing the games one by one. The list so far:

Ghouls & Ghosts
Street Fighter 2
Mega Man: The Wily Wars
Golden Axe
Revenge of Shinobi

And, I have to go to the gym before it closes in an hour. Here's the video link, if someone else can pick up the slack in the meantime:

cireza

It'll to interesting to see if SF2 is included in the western versions, seeing as we're only getting the 3 button controller.
SF2 is great but I personally would have preferred Eternal Champions. This is a MegaDrive exclusive that takes full advantage of the hardware, while being a pretty great game. While SF2 was just a good port based on the SNES version.

Last edited:

Kazza

They're playing some weird puzzle game at the moment. No idea what it is, but I think it's safe to say that it's one that we definitely won't be seeing in the Western versions.

Kazza

SF2 is great but I personally would have preferred Eternal Champions. This is a MegaDrive exclusive that takes full advantage of the hardware, while being a pretty great game. While SF2 was just a good port based on the SNES version.

I believe Eternal Champions is an 18+ rated game, and they are probably going for a kids rated mini console, so I think it's unlikely. That's why it was left out of the recent Classics compilation (except the Steam version, where it asks you to state your age before it will let you look at the game on the store)

cireza

They're playing some weird puzzle game at the moment. No idea what it is, but I think it's safe to say that it's one that we definitely won't be seeing in the Western versions.
The game is either Tanto R or Ichidant R. Party game, very very fun. You can play pretty much all mini-games except one without Japanese language comprehension.

Kazza

I wonder if Spukc Spukc is watching, haha

tenor.gif

cireza

Another Japanese one for you to identify cireza cireza . Looks like some kind of anime fighting game.
Yup, the post above :messenger_winking:

Yu Yu Hakusho is a fighting game by Treasure that features 2 lines of fighting like Fatal Fury, 4 characters at once, and zoom-out effect when going on the back line. Many backgrounds are full of parallax as well. Absolutely incredible.

You can see it as the basis that later brought us Guardian Heroes of the Bleach games on DS.

Last edited:

Kazza

Wow, Yu Yu Hakusho. Sega are really giving everything they have:messenger_ok:

Oh snap, already done!

Looks quite fun actually. Probably another one not for western release.

Ok, I really am hitting the gym now, now that I know the thread is in cireza cireza 's safe hands (I can't identify most of the games anyway :messenger_tears_of_joy:)

cireza

So it's over ? Good job Sega. Looking forward to discovering the final 10 games, as well as the Western selection of games.

Wonko_C

SF2... 3 button controller =(

The Japanese MD Mini has 6 button controllers, unlikely this is getting in the western versions.

SF2 is making me seriously consider the Japanese Mini instead of the western one. SF2 on the Genesis>>>>>>>SNES. Yeah voices are scratchy but the music is closer to the arcade (can't stand the SNES version's music now) and the 6 face buttons make it much more comfortable to play than the 4-face+2 shoulder buttons controller.

I hope it doesn't become scarce for when I visit Japan in november.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Japanese Version
  • Ghouls ‘n Ghosts
  • Street Fighter II’: Special Champion Edition
  • Mega Man: The Wily Wars
  • Golden Axe
  • The Revenge of Shinobi
  • Phantasy Star IV
  • Beyond Oasis (The Story of Thor: A Successor of The Light)
  • Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
  • Party Quiz Mega Q
  • Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Touitsusen
Give the West the first 7 + Strider, Mercs & MUSHA.

cireza

There are plenty of fantastic, Western games, I hope that they will try to pick some of them. Games like Mega Turrican or Dune II for example.

Kazza

Ok, so the western selection is a bit of a mixed bag this time around:

- Mega Man®: The Wily Wars
- Street Fighter II’®: Special Champion Edition
- Sonic Spinball
- Phantasy Star IV
- Beyond Oasis
- Ghouls 'N Ghosts®
- Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
- Golden Axe
- Vectorman
- Wonder Boy in Monster World

Kazza

Vectorman was an obvious (and welcome) addition, and Wonder Boy in Monster World is a nice surprise, but I personally could have done without both Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle and Sonic Spinball. I suppose Alex Kid is/was big in Europe (seeing how well the original has sold on the Switch Sega Ages collection), so from tht point of view warrants inclusion. I know Sonic Spinball has its fans, but I just can't get over the sluggish 30fps framerate.

Still a good selection overall though.

Kazza

Yu Yu Hakusho is a fighting game by Treasure that features 2 lines of fighting like Fatal Fury, 4 characters at once, and zoom-out effect when going on the back line. Many backgrounds are full of parallax as well. Absolutely incredible.

You can see it as the basis that later brought us Guardian Heroes of the Bleach games on DS.

Damn, sounds good! And to think it was left out to make way for Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle...

cireza

Damn, sounds good! And to think it was left out to make way for Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle...
Not a great pick, and Sonic Spinball is fun but it could have been easily replaced by something better. Some major western publishers are not represented either, that's too bad. I love Wonderboy and Vectorman though. They are fantastic games.

Personally, I think that you can't ignore games like Mortal Kombat II, Jungle Strike, Road Rash, Dune II or Mega Turrican in the West.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I second this!

EctoPrime

Perhaps those PlayStation classic usb controllers will be useful after all if the button mapping is decent in Street Fighter 2. Or you could end pressing select to punch and shoulder buttons to kick.

Ok, so the western selection is a bit of a mixed bag this time around:

- Mega Man®: The Wily Wars
- Street Fighter II’®: Special Champion Edition
- Sonic Spinball
- Phantasy Star IV
- Beyond Oasis
- Ghouls 'N Ghosts®
- Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
- Golden Axe
- Vectorman
- Wonder Boy in Monster World

No Strider or Rocket Knight but they add Alex Kidd and Sonic Spinball...

Was hoping they would leave the 2 out and swap SF for Strider....

Disappointing. What is on the Japanese one again?

Kazza

I just realised that Revenge of Shinobi isn't on the Western list :messenger_hushed:. I suppose it could still turn up in the final 10 (along with Musha, hopefully)

EctoPrime

No announced racing games yet apart from Outrun 2019 for the Asia version of the mini. Still might be one of the final 10 though due to having 2019 in the name and the mini releasing in 2019 which feels like the only reason it was picked at all. Or we could get the Sega compilation favourite Super Hang-On.

Xenon

They are saving this for the much better sequel on Sega CD add on next year!

Yup, the post above :messenger_winking:

One of the few import games I really felt was worth the price. I had a lot of fun with this game.

The only disappointment for me is Alex Kid. It's just a 8 bit game with a poor graphic update.

Last edited:
I can somewhat appreciate regional exclusives due to translation issues, but I hate the lack of consistency for titles that were available in English. I'd take Revenge of Shinobi over several of the games on the Western version, which lacking a six-button controller makes Street Fighter II a worthless addition.

kingbean

I can somewhat appreciate regional exclusives due to translation issues, but I hate the lack of consistency for titles that were available in English. I'd take Revenge of Shinobi over several of the games on the Western version, which lacking a six-button controller makes Street Fighter II a worthless addition.

Yeah, I think the lack of 6 button controller on the US version basically means I'm out.

cireza

They are saving this for the much better sequel on Sega CD add on next year!
Sega CD + 32X has a lot of potential, if we go the 40 games route.

They should create tiny add-ons : a Mega-CD and a 32X, that you plug in the MegaDrive Mini just like the real thing, and that comes bundled with 32X games and Mega-CD games. Would be pretty cool ! But they won't do it I guess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom