• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megadrive/Genesis Mini: Sept 19 release date, $70, M2 doing the emulation, 40 Games (inc Castlevania)

Xenon

Sega CD + 32X has a lot of potential, if we go the 40 games route.

They should create tiny add-ons : a Mega-CD and a 32X, that you plug in the MegaDrive Mini just like the real thing, and that comes bundled with 32X games and Mega-CD games. Would be pretty cool ! But they won't do it I guess.

If you think about it the cost would be almost nothing since they wouldn't have to include the controllers or even a processor if the original processor could handle SegaCD/32 X. It would simply just be the plastic casing and a memory stick.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Unless the final 10 games announced in the West are some crazy megatons, I'll likely import the Japanese Mini W version:

mega-drive-mini-w-589313.9.jpg

They should create tiny add-ons : a Mega-CD and a 32X, that you plug in the MegaDrive Mini just like the real thing, and that comes bundled with 32X games and Mega-CD games. Would be pretty cool ! But they won't do it I guess.
SEGA CD / 32x would be wonderful.

Rodolink

I'm literally drooling each time they announce the next batch. And count days for the release of this.
I never owned a Sega console appart from the Dreamcast. Played many on emulators and fake consoles. So this is a great deal for me. 😍

Kazza

Looks like we'll be getting the next 10 games on May 16th (8pm Japanese time).

My prediction:

Golden Axe
Revenge of Shinobi
Alien Soldier
Rocket Knight Adventures
Strider
Quackshot
Story of Thor
Ghouls & Ghosts
Strider
Pulseman

Here is my prediction:

Rocket Knight Adventures
Pulseman
Alisia Dragoon
Ranger X
Soliel/Crusader of Centy
Strider
Phantasy Star IV
Monster World IV
Mega Man Wily Wars
Marvel Land/Talmit's Adventure

My prediction:

1. Rocket Knight Adventures
2. Revenge of Shinobi
3. Ghouls N Ghosts
4. Dynamite Heady
5. Phantasy Star IV
6. Ristar
7. Trouble Shooter
8. Road Rash II
9. Street Fighter 2: SCE/ Mortal Kombat II
10. Beyond Oasis

In terms of guessing the third wave games, it looks like MrCunningham MrCunningham won the last round with 5/10, I got 4/10, and Starlight Lotice Starlight Lotice got 3/10. Anyone want to take a stab at what the final 10 games will be?

Last edited:

Kazza

it would be amazing, and Sega have suggested that it is a possibility, if the current mini console is a success. Apparently, the side panel on the mini does come off, so it could be attached, but I don't know if there would be any way to connect it electronically to the base system.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but why aren't more folks asking for Herzog Zwei? Isn't that like one of THE Genesis exclusives?

Ar¢tos

When are the last games going to be announced?
No Streets of Rage 1 and no Final Fight and my interest becomes a lot smaller :(

In terms of guessing the third wave games, it looks like MrCunningham MrCunningham won the last round with 5/10, I got 4/10, and Starlight Lotice Starlight Lotice got 3/10. Anyone want to take a stab at what the final 10 games will be?

Doubting Strider now.

Changing a little:

(Either Japan or West)
Cyborg Justice
Rocket Knight Adventures
Pulseman
Alisia Dragoon
Ranger X
Soliel/Crusader of Centy
Marvel Land/Talmit's Adventure
The New Zealand story
Mazin Saga
Warsong

If they have a hidden game or two, since they did it for the Ultimate Collection:

West
Dynamite Heady
Decap Attack

Japan
Panorama Cotton
Outrunners

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but why aren't more folks asking for Herzog Zwei? Isn't that like one of THE Genesis exclusives?

I am guessing the SEGA AGES release is why it may not be included.

The positive side to Alex Kidd/Ghouls and Ghosts is that M2 is likely going to fix the bugs in those games (hopefully).

Last edited:
In terms of guessing the third wave games, it looks like @MrCunningham won the last round with 5/10, I got 4/10, and @StarlightLotice got 3/10. Anyone want to take a stab at what the final 10 games will be?

Do I get partial credit for Revenge of Shinobi? I mean, it is there in the Japanese Mega Drive collection. A bit of a shame that it didn't make the cut for the US release. Would have preferred that over Sonic Spinball. But I guess Sonic Spinball does add a little diversity by being the only pinball game in the collection. .

mcjmetroid

It's all pretty great so far but I have a few nitpicks. Why not golden age 2 instead of 1 and thunderforce iv instead of III?

I mean M2 already did a conversation of thunderforce IV for Switch they're well used to that one and it's the more known game and Miles better.

Also I'm never sure why Sega are so fond of Altered Beast. Is it like their version of Nintendos Rob i.e it's iconic but it's shit?

Also please please put Sonic 3 and knukles as one game. You know they're itching to announce 1 or both of them.

Also 3 button controller outside Japan is disappointing especially now they've announced Street Fighter.

Kazza

Do I get partial credit for Revenge of Shinobi? I mean, it is there in the Japanese Mega Drive collection. A bit of a shame that it didn't make the cut for the US release. Would have preferred that over Sonic Spinball. But I guess Sonic Spinball does add a little diversity by being the only pinball game in the collection. .

I counted Revenge, for a total of 5 correct picks (unless I miscounted). I was even a little generous with the SF2 pick, as you did mention MK2 in the same line :messenger_winking:

Speaking of diversity, we're still lacking a sports game and a driving game (on the western release, anyway).

Has anyone asked SEGA US/EU if they may include a hidden bonus game/s on Twitter?

I would usually say that they wouldn't go that far but you never know really.

I really need to know if Pulseman or Cotton is getting on the Japanese Version to pre-order that one as well.

Also hoping they wish to make a Master System/Game Gear Mini for next year as well as there are so many hidden gems many people have missed out on for those systems!

sol_bad

When are the last games going to be announced?
No Streets of Rage 1 and no Final Fight and my interest becomes a lot smaller :(

I don't think Final Fight was on the Mega Drive, only the SNES.
Alex Kidd should have been Miracle World or Shinobi World. Yeah they are 8bit games but they are better than the 16bit pos.

I really hope Rocket Knight Adventure is included. I needs it!!!

Last edited:
Would happily sacrifice Alex or Spinball for us getting Revenge of Shinobi. At least we get Wonder Boy in Monster World. Shame we have to spend a extra 20$ to be able to play SFII properly.........

Last edited:
Would happily sacrifice Alex or Spinball for us getting Revenge of Shinobi. At least we get Wonder Boy in Monster World. Shame we have to spend a extra 20$ to be able to play SFII properly.........

I'd give up garbage such as Alex Kidd, Altered Beast, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Ecco the Dolphin, Sonic 1 & Sonic Spinball for games like Sonic 3 & Knuckles, MUSHA, Shining Force II, Monster World IV, Dragon's Fury, Puyo Puyo II, & Strider (if some of those games aren't going to be part of the last 10 games for the NA/EU release).

I counted Revenge, for a total of 5 correct picks (unless I miscounted). I was even a little generous with the SF2 pick, as you did mention MK2 in the same line :messenger_winking:

Speaking of diversity, we're still lacking a sports game and a driving game (on the western release, anyway).

Nah, that was my mistake. Sports games are pretty much absent on the NA and EU side. But, licensing is probably an issue. Sadly. And yeah, I figured either MK II (or another MK game in general) or SF2: SCE would be on the US list. So I chose an "either, or" answer. Street Fighter 2 is an odd choice, especially with the 3 button controllers being the standard for the US and EU markets.

I'd give up garbage such as Alex Kidd, Altered Beast, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Ecco the Dolphin, Sonic 1 & Sonic Spinball for games like Sonic 3 & Knuckles, MUSHA, Shining Force II, Monster World IV, Dragon's Fury, Puyo Puyo II, & Strider (if some of those games aren't going to be part of the last 10 games for the NA/EU release).

Mean Bean Machine is there to add a puzzle game to the collection. Ecco and Sonic 1 seem like OK choices to me, as well. Altered Beast could go as far as I am concerned, so could Sonic Spinball. I'd like to see them replaced with games like Herzog Zwei, or Devil's Crush.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How is SF2 going to work in the US version with the silly decision to go with 3 button pads? Is the select button the toggle from kicks to punches?

I understand the nostalgia of the pad, but it seems silly if you have the 6 button already for it as well Sega.

The only mistake I see so far. Either way I would go with this.

Last edited:

Bankai

How is SF2 going to work in the US version with the silly decision to go with 3 button pads?

I understand the nostalgia of the pad, but it seems silly if you have the 6 button already for it as well Sega.

The only mistake I see so far.

I REALLY hope they change it to the 6 button pad, like the Japanese edition of the Megadrive Mini.

Furthermore, I REALLY hope they add Aladdin to the mix. It's totally possible, considering the other Disney games on the list already.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I REALLY hope they change it to the 6 button pad, like the Japanese edition of the Megadrive Mini.

Furthermore, I REALLY hope they add Aladdin to the mix. It's totally possible, considering the other Disney games on the list already.

That and Eternal Champions would be mint.

The pad situation screams selling the 6 button extra to the US markets.

cireza

Banned
The OP has already been updated with the newly announced games.
Asia has a different list of games as well. Different from Japan and US. It includes Outrun 2019 and MUSHA for example. I was curious to see the 10 new games for Asia.

It seems that they got Alien Soldier.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Asia has a different list of games as well. Different from Japan and US. It includes Outrun 2019 and MUSHA for example. I was curious to see the 10 new games for Asia.

It seems that they got Alien Soldier.

Best megadrive mini so far.

Last edited:
I am honestly shocked they wemt with Mean Bean Machine over Columns 1/3 in the west given Columns was a launch title.

If it were me, I would have swapped out MBM for Columns (I love Puyo Puyo but the SEGA Ages release and PPT makes it irrelevant on top of PP Champions).

Alex Kidd for Strider and Street Fighter 2 for either Mortal Kombat or Eternal Champions (SF2 for the same reason as PP on top of being on the SNES mini which makes the two consoles use almost the same game).

Altered Beast, Golden Axe and Space Harrier 2 should be on an Arcade 16 Mini instead (should they do one) and swapped with Alisia Dragoon, Soliel/Crusader of Centy and Ranger X.

I can imagine if we have Thunder Force 3 we should also get Elemental Master if SEGA want to showcase Technosoft's line up.

Sonic Spinball could have been swapped with Devil's Crush MD for a like for like swap or Cyberball.

Would have swapped Castle of Illusion for Aladdin if they want that crowd to buy the game plus it sold very well.

Lastly if they still want to add a Racing game, they should give us Outrunners.

Realistically, we are likely getting a very safe list of SoR1, RoS, Ristar and Alien Soldier.

I have nothing against these games but I honestly feel that one game per franchise would have been vastly better to add those lesser known Gems in. 2 Sonic games at most, SoR 2, Shinobi 3 etc would leave an extra 2/3 slots.

SEGA US/EU should at least throw us a bone for an import title we most want. (MUSHA/Pulseman non withstanding)

I am excited for the emulation and Menu UI when they finally reveal them and I am happy to see at least some surprises in there to mix up the standard collection, but I feel that SEGA are too scared to leave out their poorly aged games that yoi can buy on other collections and drags down their overallother legacy titles.

It certainly beats the SNES mini and even the PS Mini, but I expected them to go a little more beyond with a functioning cartridge slot for amiibo styled Physical DLC (Cartridges).

Overall. Looking forward to the mini but I did expect a little bit more given some of the titles at this point feel like cannon fodder to please the lowest common demoninator fan who will likely not pay £70/$70 to play a few of these titles.

Kazza

Thanks, I somehow missed that piece of news. I found this useful spreadsheet from Sega City listing every game for every region (yep, that's ho complicated it is becoming, we're in spreadsheet territory now). I've added the info to the OP.

NOTE: Alien Soldier should be a Asian exclusive (so far at least), not NA/EU, but apart from that it seems to be accurate.

D6u3_LTUYAE5SHc.png:large

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
Any idea on what kind of chipset this is going to be using?

Does it emulate the games? Do we have any idea what emulator they are using? Is it possible that M2 are developing their own emulator?

Sorry for so many questions, genuinely curious. I think this might turn out to be the best mini console yet.

Chittagong

Gold Member
How is SF2 going to work in the US version with the silly decision to go with 3 button pads? Is the select button the toggle from kicks to punches?

The only mistake I see so far. Either way I would go with this.

Just a caution against 8bitdo Bluetooth products. I have had some and they tend to rack up horrendous input lag. I have no such issues with their 2.4g products which are sublime.

I was gutted to see their DIY kits were Bluetooth only. Would have totally converted my NES and Super Famicom controllers if they were 2.4g.

Best choice for now I think is the official Sega 6 button controller from Retrobit.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just a caution against 8bitdo Bluetooth products. I have had some and they tend to rack up horrendous input lag. I have no such issues with their 2.4g products which are sublime.

I was gutted to see their DIY kits were Bluetooth only. Would have totally converted my NES and Super Famicom controllers if they were 2.4g.

Best choice for now I think is the official Sega 6 button controller from Retrobit.

Thanks for the heads up.

I REALLY hope they add Aladdin to the mix. It's totally possible, considering the other Disney games on the list already.

That's gonna be hard, unless Sega forks out a ton of money to Disney for it, considering that the Genesis version of Aladdin was developed by Virgin Interactive & that the licensing for it is very expensive (despite being published by Sega). Also, the live-action movie of it that's coming out next week doesn't help.

Both World of illusion & Castle of illusion were both published & developed by Sega themselves, as well as the license for those being less costly. Those are probably why they've gotten a free pass on the Mini.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Ok, so the western selection is a bit of a mixed bag this time around:

- Mega Man®: The Wily Wars
- Street Fighter II’®: Special Champion Edition
- Sonic Spinball
- Phantasy Star IV
- Beyond Oasis
- Ghouls 'N Ghosts®
- Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
- Golden Axe
- Vectorman
- Wonder Boy in Monster World

Aside from Alex Kidd and Sonic Spinball, that's an amazing list.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
World of Illusion? Sold... but bummed only by the fact that I am getting the v1 design of the Mega Drive which is not what I used to have (... and would have wanted Maximum Carnage and The Lion King too...)...

It would be great to get Aladdin too as well as Columns, but the Mega Drive / Genesis collection on Switch does have a great version of it (... of Columns I mean).

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I guess this will be hacked in 2 days and you will be able to play any roms, you legitimately own preferably, shortly after.
What improvements to graphics will this do? Original megadrive graphics on modern tvs are not very pleasant to the eyes.

I'm just going to copy my post from alternate-GAF and just paste it here. It's not like my final prediction/ wish list is going to change, either way.

1. EA Sports Double Header - Two EA Sports games with no licenses. They just did this with Mega Man the Wily Wars, as it is three Mega Man games in one. And apparently, this collection runs fine at 60Hz. https://segaretro.org/EA_Sports_Double_Header/Region_coding

41652399-item-main-SMD-EASPORTS-D-1.jpg

2. Gauntlet IV - Just contact WB and get it. M2 made the port. This also makes a really good 4-player game. Something that is missing in the NA/EU list.

3. Road Rash II - List is missing a racing game. This might cover it.

4. Mortal Kombat / Mortal Kombat II/ Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 - whichever, I guess?

5. Rocket Knight Adventures - Maybe the Konami well ran dry on this? But still...

6. Herzog Zwei - It's an RTS on the Genesis with split screen two player.

7. Ristar / Dynamite Heady / Pulseman - Take your pick

8. Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Sonic and Knuckles - S&K was basically an expansion pack anyway, its one game :p

9. Sega 6 Pak/ or Mega Games 6, or Mega Games 6 vol. 2, or Mega Games 6 vol. 3 - It's a shame that Sonic 1 and Golden Axe were included as two separate games, when they could have includded this instead and just covered a lot of stuff, Like SOR 1, ROS, Columns, Super Hang On. Plus it would have free'd up two other spots for more games. Like Kid Chameleon , or something else?

Or just include Mega Games 6, and remove Golden Axe from the main list and replace it with another game. Or just include vol. 3, move Sonic 1 this collection, free up one space, plus there would also be a Soccer game.

10. Aladdin - I'd go with something else, but I feel like this one might show up.

Last edited:

Kazza

Aside from Alex Kidd and Sonic Spinball, that's an amazing list.

Yeah, perhaps I was a little overly harsh.

MrCunningham MrCunningham while they have included a couple of compilations already (one on the Japanese list, plus Megaman), those were 8-bit remakes or a collection of mini-games, rather than standalone Megadrive games. While any one of those compilations would be great, I think it's unlikely.

Kazza

Well, I only got 4/10 last time, but here's my prediction for the final 10 anyway:

1. Sonic 3&K - starting off with a bold one, but I get the feeling that they will simply replace the problematic music (maybe by Yuzo Koshiro himself). Sonic CD managed to get away with having 2 separate soundtracks, so it shouldn't be a huge issue (although I will miss that ice zone track). If not, then substitute in Sonic 3D Blast :messenger_pouting:

2. Ristar - a good Sonic Team game that has already been included in previous collections. I'd be surprised if it's not here

3. Outrun/Outrun 2019/Super Monaco GP/Super Hang-on - no racing game on the Western systems so far, so I expect Sega to address the imbalance

4. Strider - Capcom already on board, so this one is likely

5. Rocket Knight Adventures - another Konami one, with no licencing issues

6. Kid Chameleon - would add another popular western game to the collection (already seen on previous collections too)

7. Revenge of Shinobi - already announced for other regions

8. Mortal Kombat - SF2 is coming, so I expect this too, plus it even made it onto the AT Games console

9. Quackshot - another fun Disney title

10. Alien Soldier - already announced for other regions

What I would like to see:

1. NHL - no sports games announced so far, and this is perhaps the best

2. Crusader of Centy - no good reason why it couldn't be included, but seems to be a forgotten game

3. Sonic 3&K - who wouldn't

4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Hyperstone Heist - would be a nice Genesis does what Nintendon't moment

5. Road Rash 2 - would help fill in both the "racing" gap and the EA gap at the same time

6. Desert/Jungle/Urban Strike - nice helicopter game, nothing else quite like it in the collection

7. Gauntlet 4 - good multiplayer game, and M2's first ever game

8. Sunset Riders - Konami is already on board, and this is a nice two player experience

9. Madden/FIFA - not sure if they hold up now, but I think we need another sports game

10. Aladdin - I don't know if the new film coming out makes this more or less likely. One of the best selling games on the system, so it would be a shame to leave it out

Yeah, perhaps I was a little overly harsh.

MrCunningham MrCunningham while they have included a couple of compilations already (one on the Japanese list, plus Megaman), those were 8-bit remakes or a collection of mini-games, rather than standalone Megadrive games. While any one of those compilations would be great, I think it's unlikely.

Yeah, I know, but I may as well go all out on my list. The Madden Double Header, I might change that. But I thought it was a good idea at the time to cover two EA games in one cart. I honestly haven;t been following the development directly on this one, so I have no idea what stances they have on game lists. Personally, I still think, something like Sega 6 Pak (or something simaler) would have been a great way to get many of those legacy Genesis/ Mega Drive games in the collection while freeing up spots for other "wanted games".

What I would like to see:

1. NHL - no sports games announced so far, and this is perhaps the best

2. Crusader of Centy - no good reason why it couldn't be included, but seems to be a forgotten game

3. Sonic 3&K - who wouldn't

4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Hyperstone Heist - would be a nice Genesis does what Nintendon't moment

5. Road Rash 2 - would help fill in both the "racing" gap and the EA gap at the same time

6. Desert/Jungle/Urban Strike - nice helicopter game, nothing else quite like it in the collection

7. Gauntlet 4 - good multiplayer game, and M2's first ever game

8. Sunset Riders - Konami is already on board, and this is a nice two player experience

9. Madden/FIFA - not sure if they hold up now, but I think we need another sports game

10. Aladdin - I don't know if the new film coming out makes this more or less likely. One of the best selling games on the system, so it would be a shame to leave it out

What i would have liked are these 40 games and no regional exclusives:

Thunder Force IV - this is probably the best shmup ever made, and a excellent showcase of what the Mega Drive was capable of.
Battle Mania Daiginjou (Trouble Shooter 2) - second best shmup ever made, absolutely brilliant game but exclusive to Japan and incredibly expensive because of its rarity (700 - 1000$). Never released anywhere else, these are the games that needed to be on this collection.
Panorama Cotton - this is the most technically impressive Mega Drive game released on it and a fantastic game to boot, remarkably well designed. THIS is what i'd put instead of Space Harrier 2.
Revenge of Shinobi
Shinobi 3: Return of the Ninja Master
Phantasy Star IV
MUSHA
Gaiares
Eliminate Down
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Shining Force
Shining Force II
Gunstar Heroes
Alien Soldier
NHL '94
Contra: Hard Cops
Rocket Knight Adventures
Disney's Aladdin
Mega Turrican
Alisia Dragoon
Beyond Oasis (Story of Thor)
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Dynamite Headdy
Herzog Zwei
Earthworm Jim
Comix Zone
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II
Ristar
Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole
Ranger-X
Pulseman
Street Fighter II' Champion Edition
Splatterhouse 3
Ecco the Dolphin
Road Rash II

This was also an opportunity to selfishly grab and list my favorite Mega Drive games. :)

I would have bought this thing in a heartbeat, as well as a couple more for relatives.

Vitacat

I think the 30 games we know about are mostly good to great choices. The reality is that most likely this will be quickly hacked and it will be possible to add games anyway.

The big question IMO is not what games are pre-installed, but since this is M2, what special features and extra functionality might accompany them. That will cement this thing as worth buying or not for me. Otherwise it's just another emulation box, and these days we can emulate the Genesis on practically anything with a CPU, and easily buy good brand new, reasonably priced USB Genesis type controllers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom