• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MEGALODON LIVES! Great White Shark found half eaten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

It's hard to imagine how an enormous and utterly unstoppable predator like the Megalodon could be wiped out entirely, especially when smaller and far less dominant sharks survived multiple extinction events.

I held one of the largest megalodon teeth in existence (six inches) not too long ago. The guy who owned it said that it was illegal for him to have it because of how rare that size is.

I can't waig to tell him these things are still alive, if he doesn't know already.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Cage goes in the water...you go in the water...shark's in the water...

Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore shall we see you again.

pestul

Carcharodon_megalodon.jpg

MEG1.jpg

Megalodon_scale1.png

Zeliard said:
It's hard to imagine how an enormous and utterly unstoppable predator like the Megalodon could be wiped out entirely, especially when smaller and far less dominant sharks survived multiple extinction events.

I would imagine the huge food requirements would be their downfall. Any shift in population of their prey and a megalodon would be fucked considering how much they'd need to eat to keep functioning.

agrajag

Banned
Dark Octave said:
I held one of the largest megalodon teeth in existence (six inches) not too long ago. The guy who owned it said that it was illegal for him to have it because of how rare that size is.

I can't waig to tell him these things are still alive, if he doesn't know already.

Tell him they're alive and they're looking for the guy who has their tooth.

Man that's crazy.
Peter Benchley has already given us a book about the great white and a giant squid where the hell is my book on Megalodon!

industrian said:
I love Wikipedia's size comparison pictures for apex predators:

800px-Giantpredatorsscale1.png

The dude is just chillin' whilst these big ass lizards look like they're lining up to eat the motherfucker.

Spinosaurus' size is greatly exaggerated in this comparison. It was nowhere near that big, I mean it's nearly twice the size of Rex.

subzero9285 said:
Spinosaurus' size is greatly exaggerated in this comparison. It was nowhere near that big, I mean it's nearly twice the size of Rex.

This is true.

When some more complete Spinosaurus jaw fragments were found, they estimated the overall size at something like ~17 m. However, a more recent analysis and newer scaling curves suggest that it may have been around 14 m-- still larger than most other theropods, but not quite as much as before.

Wikipedia still seems to be using the earlier estimate.

Taiser

Spaceman Spiff said:
This is true.

When some more complete Spinosaurus jaw fragments were found, they estimated the overall size at something like ~17 m. However, a more recent analysis and newer scaling curves suggest that it may have been around 14 m-- still larger than most other theropods, but not quite as much as before.

v4ng2h.jpg

Boozeroony

Spaceman Spiff said:
This is true.

I'm not going to quote your avatar.

VAIL

industrian said:
I love Wikipedia's size comparison pictures for apex predators:

800px-Giantpredatorsscale1.png

The dude is just chillin' whilst these big ass lizards look like they're lining up to eat the motherfucker.

2ivmzqp.png

Fixed for accuracy...

Amalthea

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
The scariest dinosaur for me was them raptors. They scarred me in Jurassic Park

Well it matters what "raptors" you are thinking of, Velociraptor itself was about the size of a turkey but his claws were certainly very dangerous, the raptors in the movies were propably modelled after Deinonychus, wich was about the size of the animals seen in the movies. The Utahraptor on the other hand must've been a living nightmare as he could have cut you in half with his razor-claw if he wanted.

Mudkips

Banned
Why do people keep posting animal size comparisons?
None of those are bigger than the blue whale.
I already won, damn it.
I already won!

Damn I love Jaws at Universal Studios, even though I know the speil off by heart it's still awesome.

And thats about as close as I want to get to a 'Great White'

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Zeliard said:

A bigger predator is more dependent on bigger prey (most likely whales) to survive. Size is an adaptation that may be an advantage and a disadvantage.

Salazar

Here's one Gold Coaster who won't be even stepping on the goddamn sand for a while.

Incidentally, the girl Sarah who was mauled by a shark a while ago was swimming with her dog at dusk in an infamously sharky spot. She committed fucking suicide.

Zeliard

funkmastergeneral said:
I would imagine the huge food requirements would be their downfall. Any shift in population of their prey and a megalodon would be fucked considering how much they'd need to eat to keep functioning.

BorkBork said:
A bigger predator is more dependent on bigger prey (most likely whales) to survive. Size is an adaptation that may be an advantage and a disadvantage.

True. Seems horribly obvious now. :lol

Bastards!

Zeliard said:

Lack of food. A large shark like that would require much more food, which an extinction event would have diminished dramatically (food supply).

Edit: Beaten!

funkmastergeneral said:

so, to paraphrase Patrick Ewing, "we grow a lot, but we eat a lot too"

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Ela Hadrun said:
Jesus Christ I don't know how anyone swims in Australia. fuck.
We're real men with plums made out granite. Or just stupid convicts with no brains. Depends on who you ask.

There's some new photos out in the media about this shark, no idea if they are available online just yet but I saw them in a news reel earlier today on TV. I expect they may show up here within 2-3 days.

Ela Hadrun said:
Honestly, the reason why shark attacks on people get so much media attention is because it's damn rare. Look up the statistics; you'll be surprised.

basically, bee's > sharks, by a mile.

Salazar

Ela Hadrun said:

It's really quite tempting. This is the beach I walk along every morning, as the sun is coming up.

eipbtx.jpg

That said, my next-door neighbour is a surf photographer, and he has some fucking amazing stories about the sharks he's seen just out from where we live.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
WretchedTruman said:
Honestly, the reason why shark attacks on people get so much media attention is because it's damn rare. Look up the statistics; you'll be surprised.

basically, bee's > sharks, by a mile.

Yup. Shark attacks are pretty freaking rare compared to other dangers, even in the animal kingdom.

Truant

The sight of bees don't produce a mortal, stunning fear that actually hurts me in a physical way. I get nauseous just by thinking about a black abyss with a great white in it.

fsdfdfuuck

Krowley

BorkBork said:
Yup. Shark attacks are pretty freaking rare compared to other dangers, even in the animal kingdom.

It depends though. There are probably a lot of people that just disappear and are never found and then get reported as drownings. The ones we hear about are the ones where somebody was there to rescue the guy before he was completely devoured or somebody witnessed the situation. You don't hear about the guy that's gone. Nobody knows what happened to him, so it doesn't get reported as a shark attack. It would probably inflate the numbers a tiny bit if those were listed.

There are also the ship disasters, where we know that sharks have killed and eaten countless people waiting for rescue. In many cases, you can never be absolutely sure about those sorts of attacks and they don't get counted either, but we know from a few cases that are well documented that eventually the sharks do show up and eventually they do start killing people.

I think the reality of the danger from sharks is probably a little worse than shark apologists would like us to believe, but not as bad as popular culture would like us to believe. The ocean is theirs and the easiest way to avoid danger from them is to just stay out of it. That's what I do. My phobia is more than enough incentive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom