• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

ShockingAlberto said:
It's not necessarily a lack of software, it's how the software that's announced is treated.

Konami clearly saw no financial viability in MGS3DS, so they yanked the budget. The result is a downgrade from a demo made in two weeks, on the actual hardware, that looks barely above the 2004 PS2 release, if noticeably at all.

Dream Drop Distance is barely being talked about. At this junction in Birth By Sleep's development, Sony showed that game off like crazy. Square and Nintendo have nothing to show. Square announced Chocobo Racing, with screenshots, and has hidden it away like Quasimodo since. Is it still ringing the bells over in Square's office? Who even fucking knows!

Capcom threw a quick cashgrab RE title with a 30 second demo and hilarious DRM at the system, a rushed port of a fighting game (where the next game in the series will not be coming to the 3DS, but is coming to the Vita with exclusive content), canceled a title they announced last year after pulling the promised demo from the 3DSware launch, announced a minigame collection that they refuse to acknowledge, and will maybe release an RE title middle-to-late next year that will likely get ported to other systems.

Time and time again, I see people saying "Well, Wii software would have had a chance if the developers put effort in!" Which is mostly true. A lot of that Wii software was shit or mis-marketed to the craziest possible aims. Those developers did not care to or want to treat those releases with respect, because they saw the system as a side-toy that could be used to siphon money from people who did not know better.

You see that same gleam in the eye of publishers on the 3DS. They're not going to respect the software like they do on HD consoles or like they did on the DS. They're going to find reasons not to develop on it, they're going to put out games that developers can work on in-between their HD projects or on their lunch breaks.

It's how it went down with the Wii.

It's how it will go down with the 3DS if something does not happen soon.

This year's TGS is going to be very telling for the 3DS' future. Western developers were never going to support the 3DS anyway (nor will they give the Vita proper support, outside of cheap ports) purely because of the old "western handheld bias".

Nintendo had better hope that the 3DS comes all guns blazing at TGS.

As for this turn of events, it's probably the worst thing that this company has ever done. A clear indicator that the board of directors care nothing for their development staff, their fans or their company's legacy.

With Inafune gone, there's nobody left to fight back against the directors or the marketing staff. Capcom's business side has now fully taken over (may as well consider them moribund, outside of RE Revelations and Dragon's Dogma)

B.K.

I wish someone working on the project would leak the game's script, if it that got far along, so we could at least see how they would have resolved everything.

Suzzopher

So, that's it? No conclusion to the story at all? I couldn't give a shit about the many 3rd party games getting cancelled on 3DS, but this one hurts, hurts bad :(

wwm0nkey

nullset2 said:
I actually felt physically bad a little bit when I saw these news, like a knot on my throat or so for a few seconds. It's quite the revolting news actually.

Capcom, you just don't fuck around with the fanbase of a series that hasn't had a sequel in more than 10 years after the last cliffhanger. You just can't fuck around with people and stuff like that.

YOU. JUST. CAN'T.

Capcom doesn't have any other games that interest me and I was actually thinking about giving RE5 gold a go... guess I won't anymore. I'm done with this hack of a game company. You guys can't live off Street Fighter and MvC revisions and Resident Evil sequels forever. This new approach to developing franchises in the west is silly too. Damn
I still have that feeling :(

Megaman was one of the series that helped me get into gaming in general and now this happens, it really felt like Capcom stabbed my childhood.

Erethian

Nuclear Muffin said:
This year's TGS is going to be very telling for the 3DS' future. Western developers were never going to support the 3DS anyway (nor will they give the Vita proper support, outside of cheap ports) purely because of the old "western handheld bias".

Nintendo had better hope that the 3DS comes all guns blazing at TGS.

I think this is overstating the importance of TGS just a little. For a system that hasn't even been on the market for 6 months.

It's rather enlightening to go back and see just how much support a lot of publishers gave the DS, and not just in its first year. Especially from companies like Konami or Capcom.

ShockingAlberto said:
Maybe the company did not have faith in the Mega Man brand and, without Inafune there to fight for it

I think that is spot on, sales declined with the latest Battle Network games and it went down with every game. I think the only reason Capcom greenlited some of the latest games is because Inafune was there pushing, after all I doubt any Mega Man game in the long run makes zero profit. There is no reason anymore for Capcom to wasted money and resources for a small profit, they rather have all the manpower in games that sells millions like Monster Hunter or RE, or even trying to create the next Capcom blockbuster.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
nullset2 said:
I actually felt physically bad a little bit when I saw these news, like a knot on my throat or so for a few seconds. It's quite the revolting news actually.

The realisation that you will never, ever play Mega Man Legends 3. You will never experience it. This is over.

Death.

Keasar

Wait what seriously!? One of the few games that could actually make me want a 3DS and they just cancel it?

Fuck you Capcom!

Codeblue said:
Aaaaand the Capcom titles I'm looking forward to drop to 0. Up yours Capcom. Seriously.

From Crapcom to Capgod and back.

Just catching up with the thread but this sums up how I feel >=(

kiryogi

Banned
Sigh, can't be said enough. Fuck you Capcon. Have no idea what they're thinking and honestly, Dragon's Dogma/Asura's Wrath looks absolutely boring. All that's left is Ono with SF x T. (And maybe the next literation of MvC3)

Eusis

CrankyKong said:
So what was so great about Mega Man Legends 2 and why did it need a sequel?
It was a charming game that improved on its predecessor, and it
stranded the main character on the moon.

CrankyKong said:
So what was so great about Mega Man Legends 2 and why did it need a sequel?

It was a lot of fun to play, had good voice acting, was a fun little story, had enetrtaining characters... it was just a good game. Was it 10/10 material? No, but I know I still have my copy.

Beaten on this one, but yeah, cliffhanger conclusion.

Lunar15

As terribly saddened by this as I am, I can't help feeling like the end result would have been disappointing anyway due to Inafune's departure.

Either way, it's entirely mean to make such a huge deal about having a lot of user input into to the game, just to completely shut it down. I don't see the logic in it at all. Also, I find the irony amazing. They wanted to use the project in order to show off Capcom's development model. Whelp, I think we all saw it in action here today.

Erethian said:
I think this is overstating the importance of TGS just a little. For a system that hasn't even been on the market for 6 months.

It's rather enlightening to go back and see just how much support a lot of publishers gave the DS, and not just in its first year. Especially from companies like Konami or Capcom.

Ask yourself what games are coming out for the 3DS next year from 3rd parties.

Here's a list: RE: Revelations, Layton VS Ace Attorney, FF Theatrhythm (assuming that's next year), Beyond the Labyrinth, Time Travellers, Fantasy Life (assuming this gets pushed back), Heroes of Ruin, Mario & Sonic 3 and maybe Kingdom Hearts 3D (If we're lucky!).

That is the entirety of the 3DS' lineup scheduled for next year from all japanese 3rd party publishers. Bearing in mind that there's a good chance that some of those games could get delayed even further to maybe even 2013 (Looking at you Kingdom Hearts, Beyond the Labyrinth and Time Travellers), it's a pretty small lineup.

If the 3DS is going to get any games next year, they're gonna need to be shown at this TGS. A bad showing this year would mean that the chances of 3DS gaining any momentum amongst 3rd parties next year is slim.

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
I understand that the Japanese industry is still recovering from the earthquake, but they shouldn't cancel all these games. They should at least outsource them.

B.K.

AnnSwag said:
I understand that the Japanese industry is still recovering from the earthquake, but they shouldn't cancel all these games. They should at least outsource them.

That earthquake had nothing to do with the game's cancellation. Capcom never had any intention of actually making it.

Shiggy

Nuclear Muffin said:
Level 5 are developing and publishing the game. It's safe (though a localisation could be in jeopardy)

It's got Layton. We've got everything with Layton localised ... manga, games, the movie. It's safe to assume that NoE will publish this title too.

Capcom doesn't like Megaman anymore. It all started with Mega Man Scramble Battle for Wii...

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Night_Trekker said:
God I fucking hate Capcom.

And to think I still defended them a few years ago. Silly me.

wwm0nkey said:
In all honesty, how many of you would donate $$$ to Inafune to get him the rights to Megaman?

If they were for sale? And my axe!

Eusis

Sword Familiar said:
And to think I still defended them a few years ago. Silly me.
They still had Inafune around then. Of course, if you were defending him specifically then this probably actually JUSTIFIES it.

Beth Cyra

wwm0nkey said:
In all honesty, how many of you would donate $$$ to Inafune to get him the rights to Megaman?
Honestly I wouldn't.

One I don't believe in buying something for someone else, I suppport games buying paying for those games.

Beyond that even if I was somehow willing to, the fact is it wouldn't really benefit me given Inafune's feelings on the X series. As it stands I think that anything outside of Classic and X is pretty much garbage.

So given he feels X is over I wouldn't get a continuation even if he got the liscene.

Sword Familiar

Eusis said:
They still had Inafune around then. Of course, if you were defending him specifically then this probably actually JUSTIFIES it.

IMO, they are doing practically everything wrong these days. From casual fighters (arguably, they are from bad though) to outsourced DMC/RE to no Megaman to everything. Sad part is, it's a product of them adjusting to US (them).

wwm0nkey

TruePrime said:
Honestly I wouldn't.

One I don't believe in buying something for someone else, I suppport games buying paying for those games.

Beyond that even if I was somehow willing to, the fact is it wouldn't really benefit me given Inafune's feelings on the X series. As it stands I think that anything outside of Classic and X is pretty much garbage.

So given he feels X is over I wouldn't get a continuation even if he got the liscene.
He started hating on X after X4...because that is when it started sucking ass.

Also the first 3 BattleNetwork games where awesome.

Zomba13

I'm not even a legends fan and this pisses me off. I think it's because this gets cancelled while (as far as we know) DmC still gets to live. Legends seemed to have all the fans it could on board getting hyped and contributing to the site with fan designs and whatnot while DmC is almost universally hated by DMC fans yet get's to live.
Capcom are the game industries master trolls confirmed :(

Eusis

Sword Familiar said:
IMO, they are doing practically everything wrong these days. From casual fighters (arguably, they are from bad though) to outsourced DMC/RE to no Megaman to everything. Sad part is, it's a product of them adjusting to US (them).
Oh, I agree with you, but I can see the rational of defending them a few years back, especially since they pushed out Ace Attorney and must have started Ghost Trick and Okamiden then. Nowadays, it seems they're approaching all their existing series the wrong way and I have no idea if their new stuff will even be any good, I'm feeling somewhat optimistic there but I half suspect it'll be trashed by everyone and quickly forgotten.

Beth Cyra

wwm0nkey said:
He started hating on X after X4...because that is when it started sucking ass.

Also the first 3 BattleNetwork games where awesome.
I don't really expect anyone to agree on the my feelings of BattleNetwork, Zero and Starforce being shit.

That and even if it was because of a quality dip which may or may not be the case, he has stated how he strongly feels X should have ended with X5 and Zero being sealed, so I really doubt he would suddenly change his mind.

Sword Familiar

Eusis said:
Oh, I agree with you, but I can see the rational of defending them a few years back, especially since they pushed out Ace Attorney and must have started Ghost Trick and Okamiden then. Nowadays, it seems they're approaching all their existing series the wrong way and I have no idea if their new stuff will even be any good, I'm feeling somewhat optimistic there but I half suspect it'll be trashed by everyone and quickly forgotten.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of a doubt and call it "a temporary slump" for now. Surprise me, CAPCOM.

Eusis

Sword Familiar said:
I'm willing to give them the benefit of a doubt and call it "a temporary slump" for now. Surprise me, CAPCOM.
It sounds like Inafune helped get through some of Capcom's more successful games in the last several years. Maybe if they have a heavy slump they'll realize he was on to something and re-evaluate their overall approach?

The letter I sent to Capcom today in via email, snail mail, and called in to the call center:

Dear Capcom,

I have been of fan of your company for a long time. When I was born in 1987 my uncle bought me an NES and Mega Man. I've been a fan of Mega Man and your company ever since. I would say half of the games I buy every year are from Capcom and when asked, you were cited as my favorite game developer. With the cancellation of Mega Man Legends 3 though I feel the company that I grew up and loved is no longer considering it's fans and customers as it did in the past. I feel jilted by being promised a full game two years ago at E3 and then a demo (Prototype) with neither being delivered. I purchased a 3DS with the express purpose of playing Mega Man Legends 3. Going forward I will no longer be purchasing Capcom games at all. I'm sorry to say you've lost a long time customer and fan.

Eusis said:
It sounds like Inafune helped get through some of Capcom's more successful games in the last several years. Maybe if they have a heavy slump they'll realize he was on to something and re-evaluate their overall approach?

But wasn't Inafune basically responsible for DmC? That game seems to be representative of Capcom's current slump, so whether it succeeds or fails, it'd be poking a hole in that argument, wouldn't it?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's too absurd that MML3 gets canned while Nazo Waku Yakatu, always for 3DS, and a very very very VERY niche game, not only gets greenlit, but it will be out in Japan in 2 weeks.
Yeah, the game with 3D sound doesn't have to suffer to be greenlit, while MEGAMAN dies.
It's Capcom losing faith in Megaman, not in 3DS, guys.

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
Very very very sad news.
So.. each game that Capcom itself made for any console, have the risk to be canceled.
They are showing us, that they can promise a game and cancel when they want, without even trying to have a feedback.

The most weird thing, is that they had Prototype ready to be launched! (the whole thing of a new look to Barret was the excuse to not launch it soon).
Why not even release the Prototype? They can even have a better excuse if the game in eShop not sells well.

Capcom should sell Megaman franchise to another company, because the actual Capcom have another mascot, and for them, this franchise is dead.

Top Bottom