• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

Shadow of the BEAST said:
I really hope more japanese devs shifts focus from the nintendo handhelds to vita.

The ds was really bad for the japanese games industry and it was holding the japanese industry back. Both technically but much more importantly it really shut the rest of the world of. Ds games had very limited opportunity in the west.

Dedicated handheld gaming is really small here(70% of all retail softare are console, rest is shared by handhelds/smartphones). Its mostly younger children who play handhelds. More so now than ever due to the smartphones.

With vita they can at least port games to ps360. Which will help the japanese industry tremendously.
Q8sHd.jpg

Lunar15

What bothers me is that, this whole thing was to promote transparency in the development process. But they won't tell us WHY it was cancelled. That's not transparent at all, If they wanted this to truly be a new kind of experiment, they'd man up and tell us what numbers prevented it from happening.

Lunar15 said:
What bothers me is that, this whole thing was to promote transparency in the development process. But they won't tell us WHY it was cancelled. That's not transparent at all, If they wanted this to truly be a new kind of experiment, they'd man up and tell us what numbers prevented it from happening.
Bingo. And what do we get? Some PR response just like DmC's that tells us how much they care but how much they really don't

Roto13

It's fake because it's so stupid it's actually obnoxious. Capcom fakes a game to sell 3DSes? Then comes up with the exact date it's going to be cancelled a year in advance? Too stupid for words.

Busaiku

I really hope more japanese devs shifts focus from the nintendo handhelds to vita.

The ds was really bad for the japanese games industry and it was holding the japanese industry back. Both technically but much more importantly it really shut the rest of the world of. Ds games had very limited opportunity in the west.

Dedicated handheld gaming is really small here(70% of all retail softare are console, rest is shared by handhelds/smartphones). Its mostly younger children who play handhelds. More so now than ever due to the smartphones.

With vita they can at least port games to ps360. Which will help the japanese industry tremendously.
What in the world is going on here.

Busaiku said:
What in the world is going on here.
nothing, one person was added to my ignore list.

in another thread, he was arguing that PC graphics in 2006 was shiiit and console>>>PC, I think now it is safe to assume I won't lose much him being in ignore list.

Fans like this are keeping Megaman alive. Look at this! Mega Man X corrupted looks better than anything Capcom has done with X in a long time!

I hope capcom doesn't cancel this... I know this isn't legends but IMO all megaman series are related and I have love for each and everyone.

http://megamanx9.com/forum/index.php?/topic/249-megaman-x-corrupted-flash-fan-game/
SS12.png

SS13.png

SS15.png

SS16.png

SS20.png

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg2H3MO1Ixk
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ47immxaQ8

AND THE MUSIC!!! OH GOD, ITS PURE GOLD!!!!!!!!!!

Some Gameplay Previews here.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly7VPgzbS0A
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIMyDCAhpQw

Zen

Banned
I've never been the boycott type, and certainly I'm not calling on others to do so, but I can say that I am writting Capcom and informing them that it will be a long time before they will see any money from me again. It has never been unusual for a game that I've purchased to be a Capcom game (in fact most of my games are Sony first party stuff, and then games from Capcom, followed by Metal Gear from Konami), but the way this has been handled and how it only compounds a ton of other stuff that they've done, well, I'm done.

Fuck them for cancelling it without even releasing the prologue, fuck Inafune for ileaving partway through the whole thing. He should have stayed the course until upper management wouldn't dare cancel it. That's probably why evrything was so public to begin with, to try and deter cancellation from th rest of the suits at Capcom, but that apparently didn't count for much.

qq more

Zen said:
I've never been the boycott type, and certainly I'm not calling on others to do so, but I can say that I am writting Capcom and informing them that it will be a long time before they will see any money from me again. It has never been unusual for a game that I've purchased to be a Capcom game (in fact most of my games are Sony first party stuff, and then games from Capcom, followed by Metal Gear from Konami), but the way this has been handled and how it only compounds a ton of other stuff that they've done, well, I'm done.

Fuck them for cancelling it without even releasing the prologue, fuck Inafune for ileaving partway through the whole thing. He should have stayed the course until upper management wouldn't dare cancel it. That's probably why evrything was so public to begin with, to try and deter cancellation from th rest of the suits at Capcom, but that apparently didn't count for much.
Inafune REALLY hated working for Capcom. Can you really blame him for leaving?

Roto13

People always say they're going to boycott companies in these situations and they never actually do. Make it easy on yourself. Buy their games used.

Roto13 said:
People always say they're going to boycott companies in these situations and they never actually do. Make it easy on yourself. Buy their games used.
Also, the companies don't give a shit. The amount of people enraged over this compared to the mass consumer base is quite inconsequential.

Zen

Banned
I can't, honestly, but I can still be angry at him. There was a such a production when he announced it, and it wasn't until much later that we even found out about it not being officially a go. We aren't even going to get the 10 mission prologue; things as they are, if he wasn't ready to see it through for the fans, I'd have rathered that he not have come out publically with the development at all. I do give him props for at least trying to make it a reality, but I can still be pissed at him for abandoning it.

Ookami-kun said:
I just don't get it though, I mean, they already know it won't sell much due to past games.

Found this in /m/, so hilarious despite being painful

oqc5fm.jpg
Goddamn, look at all those sad Megamen. Goddamn you Capcom.

qq more

Roto13 said:
To be fair, there's hardly anything I want from Capcom that's actually coming out. So this is gonna be quite easy to me.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Imagine if in tonight's Famitsu Capcom announces Zack & Wiki 2... I would like to see the reaction :lol

robor

I have to say, out of all cancellations in the history of this industry, this is by far the worst. If only because it shows a level of disrespect towards the IP and it's creators, but it also shows a level of disrespect towards the followers of said IP.

I mean, Capcom has pretty much revealed with this decision that they couldn't give a fuck about their fans.

Honestly, I think this is being blown out of proportion far too much. Of course it sucks, but I don't think this is going to be the downfall of Capcom. And to be frank, I saw it coming, too.

Can anyone tell me a non-downloadable Mega Man game that has sold really well in the last like 5 years? As far as I know, the both 2 newer sub-series (ZX and Starforce) have been financial failures, and I remember the late BN games selling significantly less than the first like 3 games. MML, on top of that, is one of the least-known Mega Man franchises.

After they cancelled that crossover thingie earlier this year, I already was just waiting for the cancellation of MML3.

Finally, to those guys who want to boycott and try to get everyone join their cause. Imagine it actually happened, and everyone boycotted Capcom. That would be the guarantee that you're giving the blue bomber you love that death spike you think Capcom is giving him.

I know this post sounds like I'm trying to defend Capcom, but I'm not, I'm somewhat upset by the cancellation myself. But some of the things I've read not only in this thread but all around are just ridiculous.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Capcom has shamed the blue bomber! No wonder Papa left!

test_account

XP-39C²
I never really took the time to play the Mega Man Legends games (although i own all of them, also the Tron Bonne game), so it doesnt matter too much to me personally that MML3 got canceled. Pity for those who looked forward to the game though :( I think that it is more pity that the Gameboy Mega Man collection remake for GBA got canceled.

Roto13

test_account said:
I never really took the time to play the Mega Man Legends games (although i own all of them, also the Tron Bonne game), so it doesnt matter too much to me personally that MML3 got canceled. Pity for those who looked forward to the game though :( I think that it is more pity that the Gameboy Mega Man collection remake for GBA got canceled.
Apparently Dr. Wiley's Revenge was rated by the ESRB for the 3DS, so it looks like we'll probably be getting the Game Boy Mega Man games anyway. Gradually. Only took two generations.

robor said:
I have to say, out of all cancellations in the history of this industry, this is by far the worst. If only because it shows a level of disrespect towards the IP and it's creators, but it also shows a level of disrespect towards the followers of said IP.

I mean, Capcom has pretty much revealed with this decision that they couldn't give a fuck about their fans.
It's kind of naive to think that they or any other big publisher cares about anything more than the bottom line.

Again, anyone suprised by this was kidding themselves. The writing has been on the wall for months. I'm guessing the only people who thought the project had a chance were those who had invested time into it.

Codeblue

Haha! Thanks for cheering me up dude.

What a bizarre post.

qq more

Mpl90 said:
Imagine if in tonight's Famitsu Capcom announces Zack & Wiki 2... I would like to see the reaction :lol
My reaction: Whatever, Capcom.

Not hating on the game, but I couldn't get into it for some reason and even if I did love that game, it wouldn't be enough for me to forgive Capcom for their chain of fuck ups lately.

robor

CoffeeJanitor said:
It's kind of naive to think that they or any other big publisher cares about anything more than the bottom line.

Yea but a good company never makes that obvious, ever.

Like...:

Becquerel said:
Honestly, I think this is being blown out of proportion far too much. Of course it sucks, but I don't think this is going to be the downfall of Capcom. And to be frank, I saw it coming, too.

Can anyone tell me a non-downloadable Mega Man game that has sold really well in the last like 5 years? As far as I know, the both 2 newer sub-series (ZX and Starforce) have been financial failures, and I remember the late BN games selling significantly less than the first like 3 games. MML, on top of that, is one of the least-known Mega Man franchises.

After they cancelled that crossover thingie earlier this year, I already was just waiting for the cancellation of MML3.

Finally, to those guys who want to boycott and try to get everyone join their cause. Imagine it actually happened, and everyone boycotted Capcom. That would be the guarantee that you're giving the blue bomber you love that death spike you think Capcom is giving him.

I know this post sounds like I'm trying to defend Capcom, but I'm not, I'm somewhat upset by the cancellation myself. But some of the things I've read not only in this thread but all around are just ridiculous.

Why even attempt to make a physical release at all then? The last 5 years? Then why did they bother?

I believe a lot of this has to do with Inafune leaving to be quite honest.

test_account said:
If it is from the 3DS, i guess that it is the original Gameboy version through Virtual Console? The GBA version i mentioned was a port/remake with new graphics and in colors :)

http://gameboy.ign.com/objects/623/623257.html
Yeah, it was meant to come out alongside the (really shitty) Mega Man Anniversary Collection on consoles.

But Capcom lost the source code to the Gameboy games and attempted to rebuild them from scratch. A few years later, they just canned the whole project.

"This was an experiment!"

Picking such a fan favorite franchise to "experiment" with was stupid and short-sighted, if it truly had the chance of not being approved. It needed to be a foregone conclusion that a Legends 3 was being produced, and would see release in some form. Capcom has been teasing Legends references for a decade now; we're still seeing their characters in card games, fighting games, you name it. Legends has never been truly dead in the way most other forgotten franchises and spin-offs have been. So to publicly say you're making a long-awaited sequel, involve the fans with making design choices, and then yanking the rug out under them, almost giving the impression they made the wrong choices and it's somehow their fault... I can't comprehend how they thought this was a reasonable idea. They've needlessly waved a giant middle finger at the audience who was clamoring to hype the game for them and pass over their money.

If they didn't like the way it was turning out, or if the project has been drastically shaken by the departure of Inafune (which is probable), don't step out in front of everybody and utter the words "Legends 3 is cancelled." Say that the project ran into unforeseen troubles, and that a major retooling will be necessary. Put a B team on porting the PSP ports of Rockman Dash 1 and 2 to the 3DS, and finish the game. Or change the platform and rework it for digital release. Or put it on the stack of games delayed indefinitely, and let gamers and journalists ask about it now and again at trade shows, "We have nothing new to announce about that title right now, but we want to make sure when we release it, it was a sequel worth waiting for," that usual song and dance.

The worst part of this is it doesn't feel like they stopped working on a Legends game, it feels like they're actively driving a stake into the franchise.

GSR

Yeah, what really sets me off about this is that of all the projects to can with a stock statement of "not meeting criteria", who on earth thought it would be a good idea to have it be the game fans have been clamoring for for a decade and heavily involved in the development of? It's ridiculous, and I can't see how anyone at Capcom thought it would be anything other than PR suicide.

Though, you know what, that's not true. I can see how they thought it. Their logic - which may very well be true - is that the negative backlash caused by flipping off the Megaman fanbase wouldn't matter as long as they still had their Street Fighter and Resident Evil audiences. Well, this is going to sound bitter as hell, but I hope they're wrong there. I hope the backlash isn't just limited to the small group of hardcore fans, and that people can realize just what a huge "fuck you" this has been.

wrowa

Kulock said:
The worst part of this is it doesn't feel like they stopped working on a Legends game, it feels like they're actively driving a stake into the franchise.
Essentially, that's what they done. MML3DS was the last chance of seeing a revival of the franchise. Now that Capcom deemed a sequel officially not worthwhile, the chance that we will ever see MML again is pretty much non-existent. 0. Game Over.

Maybe this is all a terrible marketing trick and in some months the developers are happily going to announce that the fans' reaction helped re-evaluating the development status. But why would we kid ourselves, it's pretty unlikely.

test_account

XP-39C²
ShockingAlberto said:
Yeah, it was meant to come out alongside the (really shitty) Mega Man Anniversary Collection on consoles.

But Capcom lost the source code to the Gameboy games and attempted to rebuild them from scratch. A few years later, they just canned the whole project.
Sucks, i really wanted to add the GBA game to my collection (and play it) :(

Which reminds me that i probably should pick up that Zero collection for DS. I kinda stopped collecting Mega Man games when i found out about those chinese/taiwanese games, knowing that it would take much to get them. At least i got my hands on Rockman Strategy and Rockman Gold :) (and i got about 80-90 Mega Man games, so im happy enought with that).

qq more

test_account said:
Sucks, i really wanted to add the GBA game to my collection (and play it) :(

Which reminds me that i probably should pick up that Zero collection for DS. I kinda stopped collecting Mega Man games when i found out about those chinese/taiwanese games, knowing that it would take much to get them. At least i got my hands on Rockman Strategy and Rockman Gold :) (and i got about 80-90 Mega Man games, so im happy enought with that).
I managed to get MM5GB for 20 dollars. Was pretty lucky there considering at the time it'd go for 100 dollars on the internet.

Also, I've heard of Rockman Strategy but what is Rockman Gold about?

Top Bottom