• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

GSR said:
Yeah, what really sets me off about this is that of all the projects to can with a stock statement of "not meeting criteria", who on earth thought it would be a good idea to have it be the game fans have been clamoring for for a decade and heavily involved in the development of? It's ridiculous, and I can't see how anyone at Capcom thought it would be anything other than PR suicide.

Though, you know what, that's not true. I can see how they thought it. Their logic - which may very well be true - is that the negative backlash caused by flipping off the Megaman fanbase wouldn't matter as long as they still had their Street Fighter and Resident Evil audiences. Well, this is going to sound bitter as hell, but I hope they're wrong there. I hope the backlash isn't just limited to the small group of hardcore fans, and that people can realize just what a huge "fuck you" this has been.
More and more it seems like Capcom is the king of bad PR. These last few years have been awe-inspiring in a morbid sort of way.

I really want to know what the Japanese backlash has been like. Is there any place to check over there? What are their big news sites? Their Legends fanbase is a lot larger than here.

SatelliteOfLove said:
I'm just wondering how far along in development this was (if it hadn't been answered in the thread yet).
If the website percentage is to be believed, they were about 30% or more done with the game. At the rate it was going it probably would have been finished by the end of the year, if not a little after.

test_account

XP-39C²
qq more said:
I managed to get MM5GB for 20 dollars. Was pretty lucky there considering at the time it'd go for 100 dollars on the internet.

Also, I've heard of Rockman Strategy but what is Rockman Gold about?
Yeah, that is a great price for MM5GB indeed! :)

Here is some info on Rockman Gold: http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Rockman_Gold_Empire (seems that the full name is Rockman Gold Empire, i always just called it Rockman Gold :)).

There is also a game called Rockman IQ: http://themechanicalmaniacs.com/articles/Asian.php

I had a chance to get a brand new copy of Rockman IQ (same guy i got Rockman Gold from), but the guy wanted a brand new copy of Mega Man: The Wily Wars for Sega Megadrive + two other Mega Man games (cant remember which) for it, so i didnt want to go through with that trade. I probably would have regred it later on.

FoxSpirit

RobbieNick said:
This really sucks, but what if the game ended up being really sub-par? Maybe that's why it was cancelled.

Capcom:

2 Resident Evils

Nintendo:

LOZ: Ocarina of Time

Paper Mario

Super Mario

Starfox 64

Kid Icarus

Lugi's Mansion

Mario Kart 3D

Netflix, Virtual Console

Plenty for me.

I'll gladly wait until 3rd party stuff comes out.

Soi-Fong

Are third-party developers just abandoning development on the 3DS because of unmet sales expectations or what??

Either way, this is disappointing since it was such an anticipated release.

MisterHero

AAAAUUUUUGHHHHH the Ghost of Capcom 5 has returned from the ether to wreak havoc on today's fans. Making its development so involved with the fan community just made it so much worse.

If I wasn't more of a fan for the recent fighters and Dead Rising I'd be really upset with Capcom. Again.

qq more

Soi-Fong said:
Are third-party developers just abandoning development on the 3DS because of unmet sales expectations or what??

Either way, this is disappointing since it was such an anticipated release.
MML3, no matter what system, was gonna be cancelled anyways. Capcom just don't want MML3 to exist, ever.

This has to be a joke... I'm never ever going to buy a fucking Capcom game again.

I'm that fucking mad... I can't fucking believe they would do this when shit like DmC and million SF DLC packs are being made... this is the first time I've been so mad over a news.

GeekyDad

SwiftSketcher said:
If the website percentage is to be believed, they were about 30% or more done with the game. At the rate it was going it probably would have been finished by the end of the year, if not a little after.

But Prototype was essentially done, right? I mean, they were all set to release it at the launch of the eShop and claimed they were reeling it back to "make it better."

At this point, why not release the Prototype, charge $5 on the eShop, and make something back? Please fans and recoup some of the investment at the same time. I don't get it. The MM franchise name isn't making them money in a vacuum, and it's not like it cost anything to market for Nintendo's download platforms, since...well, marketing in that space is nonexistent.

Boney

Banned
3pzqwc5

qq more said:
MML3, no matter what system, was gonna be cancelled anyways. Capcom just don't want MML3 to exist, ever.
Well I want them to tell me that. I want them to tell me they don't give a shit about Legends and never plan to continue it so I can finally move on.

But this bullshit of teasing and messing with the most fragile, patient fans of the Megaman franchise is uncalled for and was a slimy despicable move. I hope it's a long time until we let Capcom forget what they did, because no fans of any franchise deserve treatment like this. They should have had the courtesy to shut this proposal down at inception to avoid this whole painful death.

Since capcom seems to have forgotten about all their IPs I like I could as well be boycotting them in the meanwhile. The thing is... I like streetfighter, but I already bought that and I'm not going to buy yearly updates they could as well release as DLC.
What really bothers me is how many of their great franchises like Rival Schools and Power Stone they seem to have COMPLETELY forgotten and pretend like they dont exist

.la1n

SwiftSketcher said:
Well I want them to tell me that. I want them to tell me they don't give a shit about Legends and never plan to continue it so I can finally move on.

But this bullshit of teasing and messing with the most fragile, patient fans of the Megaman franchise is uncalled for and was a slimy despicable move. I hope it's a long time until we let Capcom forget what they did, because no fans of any franchise deserve treatment like this. They should have had the courtesy to shut this proposal down at inception to avoid this whole painful death.

I don't know how much you know of MML (i'm an expert) ...

Ahoi-Brause said:
Since capcom seems to have forgotten about all their IPs I like I could as well be boycotting them in the meanwhile. The thing is... I like streetfighter, but I already bought that and I'm not going to buy yearly updates they could as well release as DLC.
But

they did exactly that this year

I fail to see why you assume they will not continue doing that if they decide on more updates

You know, due to the sudden popularity of MvC3 (over 1.5 million sold and all of that), I thought this game might actually have a chance. After all, it's where Tron Bonne came from. Tron Bonne is in MvC3 (and MvC2), all they would have to do is market that Tron Bonne's in 3 and I'm sure the Legends 3 would have at least outsold the other Legends titles.

goldenpp72

Phoenix_Apollo said:
You know, due to the sudden popularity of MvC3 (over 1.5 million sold and all of that), I thought this game might actually have a chance. After all, it's where Tron Bonne came from. Tron Bonne is in MvC3 (and MvC2), all they would have to do is market that Tron Bonne's in 3 and I'm sure the Legends 3 would have at least outsold the other Legends titles.

Please, MVC never got a valid shot on consoles, most all of us knew MVC3 would do well if released on the 2 hd systems, and it did. I mean shit, MVC2 only appeared on dc until it got a super tiny run on the xbox/ps2, the series was relegated to niche status before given full exposure, but a game starring chars from street fighter and marvel is bound to sell pretty well.

Legends never sold a lot, this game was definitely a fan service thing, which is of course why it didn't actually come out, the chances it could have even came close to a million sold on 3ds would be next to none I bet. Unfortunately, they should not only have never announced this, but also should tell us if they just plan to abandon this series forever -_-

It looks like the team was working their hardest until the last second for whatever final approval they were about to undergo. This was the last update that had any kind of relevance to the game's development on July 1st:

Well, another week has zipped by and it's Friday again. But our team and our computers alike are still running at full power! A number of people are working at two, three, even four computers at once, multi-tasking like mad.

There are a lot of people who, like Director Eguchi and Producer Kitabayashi, are always away from their desks. You see them walking around with work laptops so that they can check their email and development materials whenever, wherever they need to (they look awfully heavy though).
Looks like it wasn't enough.

XenoRaven

Well Capcom, I hope you don't like me buying your games. Actually I take that back. I DO hope you like it, because I'm not doing it anymore until you stop being retarded.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
This was a failure!
I'm making a note here:
"HUGE FUCKUP!!"

It's hard to understate
my dissapointment.

Capsule Company:
We troll all of
our fans.

For the bad of all of us:
Purchase Street Fighter again.

I'm too bitter to make the rest of this Portal song parody.

Azure J

Holy fucking shit Capcom. I literally jumped up and said "what the fuck" just now, and I am late as all hell seeing this news. This is just disgustingly saddening.

I've wondering why MegaMan Legends 3 got any fan fair during the announcement to be honest. I remember from my years of game geekiness and forum dwelling that Mega Man Legends is usually cited when it comes to bad 2D to 3D conversions.

goldenpp72

WrathOfOtaibah said:
I've wondering why MegaMan Legends 3 got any fan fair during the announcement to be honest. I remember from my years of game geekiness and forum dwelling that Mega Man Legends is usually cited when it comes to bad 2D to 3D conversions.

It's a piss poor 'megaman' game, but what it brought was a charming world/story with action/adventure, one done in modern style would be quite thrilling :/

Eusis

WrathOfOtaibah said:
Technically, in the sense that it's very little like the games it's supposed to be continuing from. But this is less Castlevania 64 and more Zelda 2, a dramatic shift that was a heavy disappointment for fans who just wanted more of the same, but if you can take it for what it was it's a legitimately great game... and this doesn't come with a ridiculous difficulty level that's off putting!

Well, it also badly needed dual analog. This is something that's left me worried about MML3 to be honest, while it has AN analog stick it may've needed two to play optimally.

goldenpp72 said:
It's a piss poor 'megaman' game, but what it brought was a charming world/story with action/adventure, one done in modern style would be quite thrilling :/

Yeah I remember playing a few minutes of it at my cousins place but it didn't strike a chord with me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ahoi-Brause said:
What really bothers me is how many of their great franchises like Rival Schools and Power Stone they seem to have COMPLETELY forgotten and pretend like they dont exist

LICENSES. They can't do ANYTHING with those games since they don't OWN them.

Same reason they have issues using Strider in Marvel 3 and getting a go ahead on the (forgetting the company) Street Fighter Alpha or School whatever kids.

goldenpp72

TheSeks said:

Same reason they have issues using Strider in Marvel 3 and getting a go ahead on the (forgetting the company) Street Fighter Alpha or School whatever kids.

Powerstone isn't owned by capcom?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
TheSeks said:

power stone has licensing issues?

and i think the street fighter series youre thinking of is ex. arika owns all of the original characters i believe.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
goldenpp72 said:
Powerstone isn't owned by capcom?

power stone has licensing issues?

I'm not totally 100% sure on that one, but I do know they have issues with Rival Schools as some of the characters are owned by a different company. It's why the games aren't on PSN.

and i think the street fighter series youre thinking of is ex. arika owns all of the original characters i believe.

And yes, EX is the one I was thinking of. Everyone wants the EX characters to come back but Capcom and Akira aren't on the best of terms.

TheSeks said:
I'm not totally 100% sure on that one, but I do know they have issues with Rival Schools as some of the characters are owned by a different company. It's why the games aren't on PSN.

And yes, EX is the one I was thinking of. Everyone wants the EX characters to come back but Capcom and Akira aren't on the best of terms.
Rival Schools is owned entirely by Capcom, including all of the characters.

It's the voice acting tracks to the older games that they don't have the licenses to anymore. It doesn't stop them from making a new Rival Schools.

XLant

Neo Member
qq more said:
Pretty much the ugly truth.

Not disappointed, only because the writing was all over the wall for this one. This game had a snowball's chance from jump...

...well at least this removes the possibility of a half-hearted or half-assed sequel spoiling the series, especially after so many years.
NiGHTS Journey of Dreams anyone?

goldenpp72

i would be very curious for confirmation on licenses issues for PS and rival schools, personally, i've cursed capcom for a long time for not even trying to make a sequel to PS, but if it is wrapped in licensing hell I can forgive them.

Then continue to hate them for botch MVC3 and legends 3.

goldenpp72 said:
i would be very curious for confirmation on licenses issues for PS and rival schools, personally, i've cursed capcom for a long time for not even trying to make a sequel to PS, but if it is wrapped in licensing hell I can forgive them.

Then continue to hate them for botch MVC3 and legends 3.
There are no licensing issues that prevent Capcom from making a new Rival Schools or Power Stone game.

The only problem is if they want to release the older games if they don't own the rights to the voice acting tracks anymore. (And I think the only game out of those two series affected by the voice acting issues is the original Rival Schools for PSX.)

Eusis said:
Technically, in the sense that it's very little like the games it's supposed to be continuing from. But this is less Castlevania 64 and more Zelda 2, a dramatic shift that was a heavy disappointment for fans who just wanted more of the same, but if you can take it for what it was it's a legitimately great game... and this doesn't come with a ridiculous difficulty level that's off putting!

Well, it also badly needed dual analog. This is something that's left me worried about MML3 to be honest, while it has AN analog stick it may've needed two to play optimally.
It certainly did. I tried to play Legends about a year ago and the game has aged horribly. The controls were pretty terrible.

Eusis

CoffeeJanitor said:
It certainly did. I tried to play Legends about a year ago and the game has aged horribly. The controls were pretty terrible.
And Legends 2 supports it... and as such IS much more playable. Maybe MML3 would've used the touch screen, used the face buttons, or did SOMETHING to make up for the lack of a second stick, but I wasn't looking forward too much to the idea of it playing similarly to MML1. Though I did get used to that when replaying it, so it's in a better position than something like the original Tomb Raider.

XLant said:
...well at least this removes the possibility of a half-hearted or half-assed sequel spoiling the series, especially after so many years.
NiGHTS Journey of Dreams anyone?

JoD had a lot of behind-the-scenes mess going on, including that it had a fair amount of development as a PS3/360 title before being forced to change platforms (and downgrade on top of that). Even the final Wii version has tons of content they obviously axed late in development to rush it out the door. Way too much executive meddling going on there.

Velti

Neo Member
I'll bet the people who were actually working on it feel like CRAAAAAP now, for getting us so excited. :(

But, yeah. Time to keep doing what I always do! BUY USED.

Eusis

Kulock said:
JoD had a lot of behind-the-scenes mess going on, including that it had a fair amount of development as a PS3/360 title before being forced to change platforms (and downgrade on top of that). Even the final Wii version has tons of content they obviously axed late in development to rush it out the door. Way too much executive meddling going on there.
That, and it focused A LOT on story, an awful one at that, which was an aspect almost completely in the background of the original game. Mega Man Legends from the start has been more story centric than prior Mega Man games (and even Zero/ZX don't quite reach its levels) so it was more likely it wouldn't fail there, and even if it did at least it wasn't something the fans didn't want in the first place.

Eusis said:
And Legends 2 supports it... and as such IS much more playable. Maybe MML3 would've used the touch screen, used the face buttons, or did SOMETHING to make up for the lack of a second stick, but I wasn't looking forward too much to the idea of it playing similarly to MML1. Though I did get used to that when replaying it, so it's in a better position than something like the original Tomb Raider.
I must add that I played Legends at release and loved it.

I never played Legends 2 though, I don't think.

Top Bottom