• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Universe canned

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
May 9, 2009
From what i've seen, i think this is good news.

GekigangerV

Jan 16, 2008
AZ
Wow, I had even forgotten this game existed. At first I thought this was Mega Man Online (the one with the cool anime trailer).

fallagin

Feb 26, 2009
I don't think it is because it is a megaman property. The game just didn't seem to be of very high of quality really. I don't think this means much in relation to MML3.

EDIT: Wait, MML3 hasn't been greenlit yet?? that doesn't sound too good.

gogojira

Jul 16, 2009
Honestly, the game looked like shit. Seems like it probably played that way, too. I find it harder and harder to care about Capcom these days.

Oni Link 666

Jun 10, 2004
I didn't mean it got canned because it's MegaMan. I meant because Inafune is not there to make it or to just let it be made.

Zen

Banned
Jun 24, 2005
CO_Andy said:
Never quite had the fan backing that Legends 3 did, and boy was it ugly.
Yeah, when you're dealing with a niche like MegaMan and even your niche doesn't give something a good reception, chances are it shouldn't come out.

Bring on Legends 3.

AshMcCool

Jan 12, 2005
I suspect there would have been some hardcore cool user created shit, so this could have been cool.

Nocturnowl

Jan 1, 2011
I really enjoyed using the stage creator in powered up so i'm a bit disappointed here. I blame the art direction!

TreIII

May 15, 2006
Well, I guess it was to be expected, after awhile. No real hype, and we haven't really heard anything about it since like NYCC last year.

If I were a betting man? I'd say that Capcom likely canned it, because now that Inafune is gone, there's basically no one standing in the way of having a Rockman X9 and other things relating to the X series being made. And such is more along the lines of what Capcom wants to do next with the series, more than likely.

Zen

Banned
Jun 24, 2005
I hope that Inafune had some gentlemen agreement in place when he left Capcom relative to Legends 3, otherwise (if it gets cancelled) I will hate him for ever.

jarosh

Oct 2, 2005
twitter.com
probably for the better. it looked like a disaster. shame they made such a big deal out of it... and now there's no new 2d mega man game on the horizon :(

AshMcCool

Jan 12, 2005
Teknoman said:
Maybe...but with Powered Up 2, they could do the same thing (PU1 had a stage editor), have a decent art style, and a remake of MM2 all in one.
For a moment there, I imagined 'Powered Up' to be a tool for creating all kind of plattformer levels on the PC, including tweakable physics, different character behaviour(Mario, MegaMan etc.), and changeable artstyle. Someone should do this. :(

BiggNife

Aug 15, 2007
I played it at NYCC.

Honestly? It was alright, but nothing to write home about. It felt like classic Megaman, but with mediocre graphics. I liked the idea of customizable Megamen (The one I played as at a Metool for a head), but I'm not particularly disappointed that it's not coming out.

Eteric Rice

Jan 13, 2007
No worries, what has been done cannot be undone. I give it a few weeks before a couple of hardcore fans start working on an unofficial Megaman Universe.

Game Guru

Dec 14, 2010
Makes sense. Why make something like Mega Man Universe for download services when instead Capcom could churn out Mega Man 11 much more cheaply.