• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MegaTen x Fire Emblem announced (Wii U)

Dantis

Persona characters probably won't show up, but I doubt there's much of this game even planned yet, so you never know.
We have a better chance of Raidou showing up. Whcih would be awesome.

I'd be fine with Persona characters showing up. Or Raidou. Or DDS. Anyone except Devil Survivor, really.

There are so many variables for this game though. I feel like it was announced too early. Heck, if anyone from the Persona Team has a major part in the development, then it probably hasn't even started full production yet.

Persona86

Banned
I wouldn't mind if Maya from persona 2 would be in this game. I actually haven't played Persona 2 yet, but I like her character design, it would fit right in. :)

cjkeats

I'd be fine with Persona characters showing up. Or Raidou. Or DDS. Anyone except Devil Survivor, really.

There are so many variables for this game though. I feel like it was announced too early. Heck, if anyone from the Persona Team has a major part in the development, then it probably hasn't even started full production yet.

To me the trailer said "We just came up with this idea five minutes ago, so here's some logos and character art we took from a wiki real fast."

And I'd be okay with anyone from the Atlus catalogue, including Survivor, but like TreIII said, I really want to see Akemi and Yumiko again.

I think it's safe to say that if any Persona character makes it in, it will be Narukami, for better or for worse.

It'll be P3 protagonist to promote the movies :p

Persona86

Banned
To me the trailer said "We just came up with this idea five minutes ago, so here's some logos and character art we took from a wiki real fast."

And I'd be okay with anyone from the Atlus catalogue, including Survivor, but like TreIII said, I really want to see Akemi and Yumiko again.

I have the same impression. I'm sure they have plenty of concept art etc But you know what happens to early concept art, often changes are made. So from that perspective, it's never a good idea to show anything until they are close to finishing.

Persona86

Banned
I think it's safe to say that if any Persona character makes it in, it will be Narukami, for better or for worse.

Dantis I've often wondered, which do you prefer, SMT: Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga series? I've only played the beginning of DDS.

Dantis

I was thinking about it, and I actually do think it's possible that the Persona Team are having some involvement in this. They're Atlus' only team with HD development experience, and when Hashino talked about a collaboration, he said that he was working on it. It might not even start development until like the end of this year! And we know Nintendo announce things very early, just look at Smash Bros Wii U.

Now that the high of the announcement has died own, I'm just curious more than anything. It's such a weird project. It could go any which way.

It'll be P3 protagonist to promote the movies :p

I'd be okay with that. The more Soejima characters (If any? :( ), the better.

Dantis I've often wondered, which do you prefer, SMT: Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga series? I've only played the beginning of DDS.

DDS. I love DDS.

Persona86

Banned
DDS. I love DDS.

Oooh really, I should play them already! But only after I finally complete Persona 3, 4 and SMT: Nocturne, I've taken way too long playing these three for years, because I take too many long breaks haha.

Right now I'm deep into Nocturne (hopefully completing soon), and that game takes a lot of time and focus.

cjkeats

I was thinking about it, and I actually do think it's possible that the Persona Team are having some involvement in this. They're Atlus' only team with HD development experience, and when Hashino talked about a collaboration, he said that he was working on it. It might not even start development until like the end of this year! And we know Nintendo announce things very early, just look at Smash Bros Wii U.

Now that the high of the announcement has died own, I'm just curious more than anything. It's such a weird project. It could go any which way.
I'd be okay with that. The more Soejima characters (If any? :( ), the better.

I'd say it's the obvious and mostly the Devil Survivor team. I mean they haven't been up to much since DS2 right? Is there even a team for those games?

What if we get a new character who we've never seen before who speaks nonsense, and turns out to be the protagonist of P5? Like Vincent in P3P.
Speaking of, if it gets all cross universe/timeline/whatever, Vincent should totally be in this as a joke character like Dan in Street Fighter.

DDS. I love DDS.

But you're Dantis. You hate everything. ;)
I bought those the summer and they're stil sealed. I hear good things.

Dantis

Oooh really, I should play them already! But only after I finally complete Persona 3, 4 and SMT: Nocturne, I've taken way too long playing these three for years, because I take too many long breaks haha.

Right now I'm deep into Nocturne (hopefully completing soon), and that game takes a lot of time and focus.

DDS is just... Amazing. The art is tremendous and the soundtrack is one of Meguro's best, particularly in DDS2.

It's really, definitely worth your time. The story alone is better than pretty much any JRPG I can think of. It's so weird and unique, and it has that darkness that SMT games are known for, but it's also sentimental and bittersweet (Perhaps a sign of things to come, as it was directed by Hashino before he did P3).

I'd say it's the obvious and mostly the Devil Survivor team. I mean they haven't been up to much since DS2 right? Is there even a team for those games?

What if we get a new character who we've never seen before who speaks nonsense, and turns out to be the protagonist of P5? Like Vincent in P3P.
Speaking of, if it gets all cross universe/timeline/whatever, Vincent should totally be in this as a joke character like Dan in Street Fighter.

I would be inclined to think that it's the Devil Survivor team because of the whole SRPG link, but I'd really hope that they'd bring in someone with more experience within the series, particularly for the first HD game. The Nocturne team is doing SMT4, so it can't be them... At the very least, I'd like the Devil Survivor artist to stay away. Not a fan.

But you're Dantis. You hate everything. ;)
I bought those the summer and they're stil sealed. I hear good things.

Haha! I like most things SMT, actually, it's just Arena that made me flip my shit. I... Er... Maybe got somewhat over-impassioned. Complete fanboy meltdown. A combination of shattered hopes, unrealistic expectations and an unwillingness to accept the direction they took with it. I still get bitter about it today. ;)

Persona86

Banned
DDS is just... Amazing. The art is tremendous and the soundtrack is one of Meguro's best, particularly in DDS2.

It's really, definitely worth your time. The story alone is better than pretty much any JRPG I can think of. It's so weird and unique, and it has that darkness that SMT games are known for, but it's also sentimental and bittersweet (Perhaps a sign of things to come, as it was directed by Hashino before he did P3).

Sounds great, looks like it has a nice balance. Playing too much Nocturne at once can get a bit depressing. (although I still love it)

Varna

DDS has some of the best boss fights and dungeons in any Megaten game. I'm still pissed that after that they didn't even attempt another game like it. It's been eight fucken years and we have yet to see a successor to the Nocturne/DDS style games.

I didn't find the story all that interesting though. It's a very typical kind of story for JRPGs.

NMFried

So are we hoping more for an SMT game with Fire Emblem characters, or a Fire Emblem game with SMT characters? I for one want the former, just as I want a Captain Falcon Racing/Adventure game.

Dantis

DDS has some of the best boss fights and dungeons in any Megaten game. I'm still pissed that after that they didn't even attempt another game like it. It's been eight fucken years and we have yet to see a successor to the Nocturne/DDS style games.

I didn't find the story all that interesting though. It's a very typical kind of story for JRPGs.

tumblr_lpafy6rb9b1qhugk7o1_r1_500.gif

Kaneko > Soejima

Neither is better than the other. They both fit their own work perfectly.

Soriku

Doi > All

Not really, but I love the way the character designs for SMT IV are turning out.

DDS2's battle themes are all good but the area themes were really weak compared to DDS1. I put DDS1 (which also had good battle themes) above DDS2 in soundtrack because of that. The theme for
the Sun
in DDS2 is hella repetitive.

The story was good but I feel my enjoyment of the DDS series was really hampered by the amount of random battles and lack of demon fusing. :/ Nocturne had about the same number of random battles but I liked it much more than DDS and I think the fusing had a part in that. I think they could've incorporated fusing in DDS and wish they did.

Dantis

If this game is gonna be SMT only it should at least get us some new Kaneko art. Christ, he can't hide forever.

Agree 100%.

Sarcasm? :p

DDS2's battle themes are all good but the area themes were really weak compared to DDS1. I put DDS1 (which also had good battle themes) above DDS2 in soundtrack because of that. The theme for
the Sun
in DDS2 is hella repetitive.

The story was good but I feel my enjoyment of the DDS series was really hampered by the amount of random battles and lack of demon fusing. :/ Nocturne had about the same number of random battles but I liked it much more than DDS and I think the fusing had a part in that. I think they could've incorporated fusing in DDS and wish they did.

DDS1 probably did have better area themes, I agree. It also had Pray as a recurring musical motif, which was amazing. The battle tracks were miles better on DDS2 though, as were a lot of other tracks. Some of the cutscene music is excellent (Memory, Heat and Recollection are good examples).

How about DeS characters redrawn by an actually competant character designer from in-house? :O

He does that from time to time about DDS. Humor him.

Persona86

Banned
Dantis and Persona86 what's your NNID? Wanna add you two lol, always see you two in most of the threads I post as well lol.
Yeah anything SMT/Persona/Yakuza related and I see the regulars around haha.

Anyway you mean ID for Wii U? I don't have one yet, but will do when the games start coming out. :)
Dantis has one thou. (if he still has it...)

Yeah anything SMT/Persona/Yakuza related and I see the regulars around haha.

Anyway you mean ID for Wii U? I don't have one yet, but will do when the games start coming out. :)
Dantis has one thou. (if he still has it...)
Yeah just about sending him a friend request =D, would love to friend request you when you get a Wii U =) my NNID is same as GAF handle anyway XD.

Persona86

Banned
Yeah just about sending him a friend request =D, would love to friend request you when you get a Wii U =) my NNID is same as GAF handle anyway XD.

I'll try to remember to add you when I do eventually get one, should be fun. The first must have(for me) game that comes out, I'll buy it.

Dantis

How about DeS characters redrawn by an actually competant character designer from in-house? :O

If Doi, Soejima or Kaneko drew them, that would be fine. :p

I never connect to the Internet on it, sorry. :(

And now that Razor's Edge is coming out for 360, I'm selling my Wii U copy, so I won't even be turning the console on for a good few months. If I get things working properly though, and actually start playing games, I'll definitely add you though. My NNID is Dantis, I think.

Reincarnation and the things that go along with it are very common themes in JRPGs. This was back when Megaten games had a certain style but that only goes so far.

I'm not going to argue with you, but I disagree. Heavily.

You're also pretty close to spoilers there.

If this game is gonna be SMT only it should at least get us some new Kaneko art. Christ, he can't hide forever.

We'll end up with like one boss monster drawn by him and one boss monster drawn by the FEA artist and literally everything else will be old ass concept art from each game represented in the SMTxFE.

JLeack

Banned
Um, so yeah. I want this game but no store has had it in three days. I feel like the unluckiest and most frustrated person in a first-world country.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I just want to echo that Digital Devil Saga is excellent. It has some annoying dungeons, but other than that...damn. Great story execution and themes.

cjkeats

Um, so yeah. I want this game but no store has had it in three days. I feel like the unluckiest and most frustrated person in a first-world country.
Fire me a pm with all the upcoming sports scores, I'll send you a cut when I'm a billionaire.
i know you're talking about FE Awakening, it's okay:p

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Looks like someone confused this thread with the FE:Awakening thread...

...I hope.

Marche90

After listening to the DDS soundtrack last week, I've gotten this desire to play both games...

But alas, no money, no console, no games. I guess I should start saving even more (saving for SH)... or starving, if I cut what I use during the week even more.

Here's something to consider; in NA and EU, will the game be called a FE game? Pokemon Conquest was basically Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition in Japan. Will Nintendo do the same for this? What could they call it? Fire Emblem: ???

Soriku

Here's something to consider; in NA and EU, will the game be called a FE game? Pokemon Conquest was basically Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition in Japan. Will Nintendo do the same for this? What could they call it? Fire Emblem: ???

It's not a FE game so no.

They'll call it Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I always thought they should do a DDS and Strange Journey crossover.

I wonder if any of the Strange Journey guys are in. Probably. I'm sure the Demonica will be in in some fashion, even if it's the girl from SMT4.

Top Bottom