• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaton rumor: Shenmue 1 & 2 may be heading to the Wii!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuminus3

Banned
Visualante said:
They could just outsource it to someone like Sumo Digital.
I've been saying this for a long, long time now. I'd have full faith in Sumo Digital doing the subject and the source proper justice, too. These guys are awesome and seem to really love putting themselves into the ports/contract work they do.

v0yce said:
Err, wait. So you say Shemue was screaming for waggle controls and then you go on to describe controls that (aside from driving) don't use it?

... what?
I tried to give the most GAF friendly control scheme possible to the game.

It's no secret that a large amount of GAFer's would look at the majority of waggle in the game as unnecessary.

The QTE's could be given a whole lot of interactive flavor, as could the fighting mechanics. The entire world itself screams for interactivity too. Pet the kitty, buy the soda, get ur figures, dial the phone, sift through cabinets.

So yeah, the game was waiting for waggle, just not in it's basic mechanics. Fighting would most likely be better off without any real form of waggle. As would your standard roam controls.

The minigames littered throughout the world would be perfected through waggle, as would the QTE's.

jestro

Banned
FU Sega. Shenmue was a graphics powerhouse in its day so these should go to the PS3 or 360 along with Shenmue III with graphics that destroy Killzone 2. ><

jestro said:
FU Sega. Shenmue was a graphics powerhouse in its day so these should go to the PS3 or 360 along with Shenmue III with graphics that destroy Killzone 2. ><
:lol

Thanks for the laugh.

If you even liked Shenmue... I'd say it's best to be happy that it's coming at all. I'd really doubt they'd spend millions upon millions for a franchise that barely had appeal nearing 10 years ago.

If this rumor is true... just be happy that it's coming at all.

dacuk

I hope that, at least, they have extra content of sorts.
Just having Shenmue 1+2 +minigames will not be enough (unless it is $19.99)

Gagaman

At least if they ported the first two Shenmue games to the Wii (rather than the HD systems), a possible Shenmue 3 could use a lot of the same elements without the graphics needing to be up graded to PS3/360 standards. Just give us widescreen, 480p and better lighting (ala the Yakuza games) and the game may still hold up pretty well, especially compared to most other third party Wii games so far.

As for the game play? I'd actually kind of hope it'd be a directors cut of some sort, as especially in the 2nd game there was some really repetitive, tedious parts that I'd rather see simplified or shortened. Since when was 20 minutes of carrying and stacking books fun?

goldenpp72

im saying it would seem illogical, they spent a shit load of money trying to animate a finger movement if I recall, the creator of shenmue probably would prefer these be on 360/ps3, so if this happens im going to assume its a shitty cash in and nothing else.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Super Mario Galaxy didn't do it. Metroid Prime didn't do it. Twilight Princess didn't do it.

But Shenmue on the Wii, assuming there is exclusive content, will push me to buy a Nintendo Wii. Something I really don't want to do.

the creator of shenmue probably would prefer these be on 360/ps3

And so would I. The series deserves digital audio and HD graphics, imo. Although, so long as there is exclusive content (and hopefully the promise of Shenmue 3), I'll settle for a Wii version.

M3d10n

goldenpp72 said:
One of the biggest flops ever conceived to become a multimillionary HD endeavor that has high chances of flopping again?

MAKES SENSE GUYS
Fixed.

goldenpp72 said:
im saying it would seem illogical, they spent a shit load of money trying to animate a finger movement if I recall, the creator of shenmue probably would prefer these be on 360/ps3, so if this happens im going to assume its a shitty cash in and nothing else.
Shenmue 1 and 2 are done. Finished. Ready. Porting the code to the Wii would cost less than it cost to port Okami. It's another chance to recover the massive loses caused by the original games' commercial failure, and maybe even help fund the new entry in the series you people keep claiming is being shunned in favor of a quick port.

This ain't charity, you know.

cvxfreak

I really hope this news is true because I loved the two Shenmue games. However, I really do not want to bring the Dreamcast back out and hook it up to a TV. None of my Dreamcasts work perfectly either. So having the original Shenmue on a current-gen system would allow me to finally leave that system behind forever. I can continue enjoying Shenmue II on the 360 if need be.

dark10x said:
I agree, this would be terrible news.

For one thing, it would offer very little to fans of the series in that the visuals would likely see no improvement over what we saw on XBOX and the game would more or less function exactly the same. Adding the Wii-mote into the mix might seem nifty for certain areas of the game, but it wouldn't have a significant impact on the experience.

Of course, that's exactly what it COULD actually happen. It would probably be a snap to port the games over to the Wii and add in some gimmicky Wii-mote functions.

IF it was up to you, no wii game would come since it would be always bad or inferior to HD consoles......I seriously hope it comes to wii with some new content...wii needs more good games.....i could care less for HD, as long as the game is good, and doesnt cost an eye....im good.

basik

I'd buy it, and shenmue 3 wii. I want to see what they can do with the combat and QTE's with wii controls, shenmue 1&2 had some cool fights. I remember the game getting a lot of hate when it came out because of how different it was, could work out well with the 'non-gamers'.

Foil

I don't really want them to bother bringing Shenmue to Wii unless they redo the visuals upon bringing the package to the system and really nail the controls. Dreamcast visuals don't look good at all anymore, sorry.

If Sega is going to bring games from last gen to the Wii they better start with Panzer Dragoon Orta. That'd be a game that not only would look good (with a few improvements), but it's perfect for the Wiimote controls. Why they haven't done this yet is beyond me. It'd be quick money for them, and it'd actually expose more people to a great game that many overlooked.

Jet Set Radio Future might be another game worth porting over to Wii.

temjin

Banned
apparently that scan/news tid bit is from the rumor section of the magazine. heh.

Translation:
“Shenmue is back! Sega has rereleased classics like Nights,Bass Fishing and House of the Dead lately. Now it’s said that Shenmue is next. But don’t think that it’s about a new game, instead, they’re bringing back the two original Shenmue games with extra Wiimote-minigames which will be released for the Wii."

is the full translation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom