• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Memoria engine mod makes Final Fantasy IX actually playable

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The load times on FF9 are slow, and the "panning around the arena" introduction to FF9 battles are slow.

The battle itself, is not slow.

It's definitely slow. The game would have been better served as a pure turned-based game because then it would have been faster. The ATB actually does a huge disservice to the game. It gets worse towards the end when chimeras start countering too. Some people might be okay with it but after six games it somehow got worse. It made me appreciate what FFX did with its battle system. FFX-2 going back to ATB did it right.

poncle

Skip ATB waiting time is good, but the game looks clunky even at a high speed because of the useless charge animations, delays between input->action, and battle transition and introduction.

I seem to recall the PC version being much quicker on many fronts without mods. And with that other romhack, I don't see why making it VHS-fast is necessary.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
This mod is garbage but I've actually found FF9 to be too slow to play in twenty six teen.

Skipping those long ass battle intros / speeding ATB fill / just removing Trance would be nice.

AgeEighty

This mod is garbage but I've actually found FF9 to be too slow to play in twenty six teen.

Skipping those long ass battle intros / speeding ATB fill / just removing Trance would be nice.

There's a setting in the remaster to skip the battle intros (though it doesn't work on scripted battles, just random ones). There's also a setting to increase battle speed, though even with that maxed out they're still a little slow.

FFIX is just awful because of this so I stopped halfway in. I dreaded every random encounter.

The PC/Mobile version's "solution" sounds crap so I'll look into this one. Thanks.

BocoDragon

Surprised to hear that FF 2 and 3 are so loved here.

3 is a really really good game. Amazing for the NES/Famicom era. It's easily in the pantheon of greats, keeping in mind what era it hails from.

Septimius

I don't think many of you bothered to read what I wrote. As said, you can set the fps to anything you want. If you don't like it at that speed, you turn it down to something else.

It's really fast there because I was tooling with it. Here's the game at just an extra 25 fps and with a full party.

https://youtu.be/RLkQJX4AUlQ

Superior version is superior.

It really isn't. I'd rather just play the PSX version.

synce

I don't know, it still takes 10 full seconds to begin a battle unless you use fast forward, which kind of breaks the immersion. If someone could skip the intros and make it true 60fps then it would be fixed IMO

Syril

It's definitely slow. The game would have been better served as a pure turned-based game because then it would have been faster. The ATB actually does a huge disservice to the game. It gets worse towards the end when chimeras start countering too. Some people might be okay with it but after six games it somehow got worse. It made me appreciate what FFX did with its battle system. FFX-2 going back to ATB did it right.
The actual problem is that it never pauses the ATB when all the long animations are playing out, so you end up queuing up your commands behind like three other combatants at any given moment. If you actually want to make decisions accurately, you have to turn on Wait mode, then idle in a submenu constantly to let everyone else's turns play out.

I SEE YOU LIKE THE TASTE OF TRASH.

hiroyuki_ito_krukk.jpg

jb1234

3 is a really really good game. Amazing for the NES/Famicom era. It's easily in the pantheon of greats, keeping in mind what era it hails from.

I think it's too easy to judge 3 because the only version most people have played is the disappointing DS/Steam/mobile one.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Also, FF8 is the worst FF.

With FF2 (Japan) out in the world? Not even close. People that say this clearly haven't played that and other worst games in the series (10, 13, 13-2, 13-3...).

BocoDragon

I think it's too easy to judge 3 because the only version most people have played is the disappointing DS/Steam/mobile one.

I agree. I can't really speak to the fact that the remake is ultimately good or bad, as I haven't gone deep on it, but I know it removes the context that it's an 8bit jRPG.

And in the context of being an 8bit jRPG, it's kind of amazing. It's bigger than you think it is. It plays better. It has an amazing soundtrack on par with the rest of the series, in a unique expression of that now-mystical NES chiptune sound. I can see how it's the FFVI or FFVIII of the NES era.

But slap a primitive PS1/DS 3D graphics filter on it and it looks kind of dopey. I find it hard to appreciate it for what it is.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
There's a setting in the remaster to skip the battle intros (though it doesn't work on scripted battles, just random ones). There's also a setting to increase battle speed, though even with that maxed out they're still a little slow.

Removing the intro even if only on random battles seems like a big time reduction though. Sounds good.

zoukka

US people have no right no complain about slow battles in IX. Think of us PAL peasants with 50hz and the insane loading times.

Unai

Those videos look really, really bad.

That being said, about the real turn-based possible with memoria, now that's very interesting. I'll try it.

Edit: The Steam Controller and Dualshock 4 allow the use of the native speed key while using a gamepad.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What the hell happened here :/

Fujinn

I agree the transitions from game world to battle are quite slow. But that fast forward in the battle is awful.

It would be nice if it can be configured to only speedup the black screen and camera pan (even though that can be disabled)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm gonna tell yall something crazy:

Bravely Default/Second is the best Final Fantasy game, period. Over the years I've always considered FFIX to be the best FF, until I played the Bravely series.

Gbraga

You know a game has awful gameplay when people have to fast forward through it.

What about Turbo Mode in DMC? :p

Anime and movies in 60fps actually looks good, tho

I never used these interpolation thingies, but I've always wondered if it could make Sidonia no Kishi (and Blame!, judging by the trailer) a bit better to watch. I think the CGI looks very decent as far as art style is concerned, but they just have to start moving and everything is ruined. It's so damn choppy >_>

kennyamr

FFIX was my first real video game, and still my personal favorite of all time.

I heard the criticisms about it before but to be honest I think that game is just perfect, at least for me.

So in other words the game is very playable to me as it is without any extra modification so please don't assume something feels the same to everyone.

OP, how fast is your slowest video there?

Is that like 2x normal speed?

Could you do one at 1.4x speed or 1.5x? Plus turn off the battle cam as you discovered in this thread. Record a couple battles. Maybe people would like it more.

Lothar

Banned
The load times on FF9 are slow, and the "panning around the arena" introduction to FF9 battles are slow.

The battle itself, is not slow.

It is slow. The animations feel like they're doing things in slow motion, before each character does a move they wait a second or two just standing around like they're processing it, and the ATB meter fills up much slower than FF7 and FF8 even when it's set to fast in the menu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW_C8e-9GsI

Quina ATB starting to charge up at :40 and not getting there until :54
1:03 to 1:06 Zidane takes 3 seconds to decide if he should follow the command or not while everyone just stares at each other.

Durante

Nope. Don't agree at all. I finished the game recently only a few years back for the first time, so no nostalgia goggles or anything. Battle speed being too slow wasn't even something I thought could be a complaint until I saw this thread.

From your use of word "catastrophic" it seems like you were expecting Bayonetta combat speed from FF9.
No, but I don't appreciate about 10 hours of my 50 hour playtime being spent looking at slow combat animations or sloooow camera pans.

To each their own I guess.

Ralemont

not me
I think eliminating the queues (and long wait times between actions) would do most of the work in making the battle system legitimate.

If you look at X-2, the best ATB system to date, that's a large part of why it feels so fast. Character attacks, and before they are even back to their starting position the next character's action is starting.

#I'mwithduckroll

FF8 is a total mess. But it's an interesting mess. And at this point I can largely abstract away the details I dislike (e.g., the characters and 80% of the scenes making up the story). I have a hard time doing the same for FF9's weak points because my memory of the game is poisoned by the frustration of waiting ages between inputting a command and seeing that command carried out.

Top Bottom