• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Memoria engine mod makes Final Fantasy IX actually playable

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

And people are disagreeing with your sentiment because it's just not true. Load times are slow, but it's definitely not unplayable at all. Your hiperbolic wording won't help you make your case either, and the thing is that the game is objectively worse in these videos you presented, while you still say it's what saves it. Overall this thread is just a huge mess that won't get anywhere.

By the way, in a world where FFII (JP) exists, there can hardly exist any battle system worse in any FF.

I never said that FFIX has the worst battle system in the series. I just said its battles, at default setting, make the game unplayable.

Please quantify how this statement is hyperbolic if many in this thread agree with it? Is it hyperbolic because you disagree?

AgeEighty

Duck isn't shit posting. He's being Duck - a lovable sweet heart with jokes. I don't appreciate you calling our moderator a shitposter.

I see a similarly caustic comment from him every time FFIX comes up, so call it what you want and I'll call it what I want.

As for fans of the game having a "negative reaction" to the game being called unplayable? Why? I said in the OP I love the game and am a big fan of it with some caveats. Many people in this thread have agreed that every other aspect of the game besides battles is on the ball. The battles are a big flaw, PAL or not. What other RPG would get a pass when it takes nearly 30 seconds to complete an action after inputting it? FFIX's criticism is deserved. It's among the slowest RPG battle systems I've ever experienced and I refuse to suffer through it.

Because that's hyperbole; the game isn't unplayable. The speed can be annoying, but it's a difference of maybe a few seconds per battle compared with VII and VIII (the latter of which, by the way, makes summons the most powerful attacks in the later part of the game and forces you to sit through lengthy animations every single time, while IX does not). Many of us legitimately don't feel it's as game-breaking as you do; that doesn't make us "stans" or people with no grip on reality, as you have repeatedly asserted here. We also may feel that the compromises introduced by this mod aren't worth it to solve a minor annoyance.

You didn't even experiment with the battle camera settings built in to the game; I watched the videos and was like "Why is she complaining so vociferously about the battle speed but doesn't even have the camera pan turned off?" Maybe try tooling with built-in settings before insisting that a game is a mess without mods.

I never said that FFIX has the worst battle system in the series. I just said its battles, at default setting, make the game unplayable.

Please quantify how this statement is hyperbolic if many in this thread agree with it? Is it hyperbolic because you disagree?

It's hyperbolic because Superman 64 is unplayable. Big Rigs is unplayable. So is Ride to Hell. FFIX is nowhere that at all, it's has a mild annoyance at best.

HeeHo

It's hyperbolic because Superman 64 is unplayable. Big Rigs is unplayable. So is Ride to Hell. FFIX is nowhere that at all, it's has a mild annoyance at best.

I love IX too but unfortunately the slow-loading battles is the only thing keeping me from coming back to it in more modern times. I like the music, ability system, choco-digging mini game, card game, it's just the dang slow start up for battles that kills it for me.

So in a sense, that is unplayable for some people. I don't think the statement is too hyperbolic

Perhaps a better term would be un-replayable? Then again, I don't think every single word should be taken so literally...

eXistor

Can't we accept that FF9 is a pretty good game overall, but its battle speed, transitions and the way it wastes the player's time at every opportunity are absolutely catastrophic?
No? I mean I'll agree that it could be faster and that it could do without the camera pans, but calling it catastrophic is ridiculous. Hell, I played the PAL version when I was already aware that PAL was slower than it should be and suffered through black bars and fucked aspect-ratio and still think the game is fine. I played it recently (well about a year ago) to see if I could stomach the game in this day and age, and it was fine. Yes, PAL version again.

AgeEighty

I love IX too but unfortunately the slow-loading battles is the only thing keeping me from coming back to it in more modern times. I like the music, ability system, choco-digging mini game, card game, it's just the dang slow start up for battles that kills it for me.

So in a sense, that is unplayable for some people. I don't think the statement is too hyperbolic.

Try the Steam/mobile version, turn the battle speed all the way up and set "Skip Battle Camera" on ON. You'll likely be much happier with it.

I see a similarly caustic comment from him every time FFIX comes up, so call it what you want and I'll call it what I want.

Because that's hyperbole; the game isn't unplayable. The speed can be annoying, but it's a difference of maybe a few seconds per battle compared with VII and VIII (the latter of which, by the way, makes summons the most powerful attacks in the later part of the game and forces you to sit through lengthy animations every single time, while IX does not). Many of us legitimately don't feel it's as game-breaking as you do; that doesn't make us "stans" or people with no grip on reality, as you have repeatedly asserted here. We also may feel that the compromises introduced by this mod aren't worth it to solve a minor annoyance.

You didn't even experiment with the battle camera settings built in to the game; I watched the videos and was like "Why is she complaining so vociferously about the battle speed but doesn't even have the camera pan turned off?" Maybe try tooling with built-in settings before insisting that a game is a mess without mods.

I tried playing without the camera pan and found it a bit unnatural. I play on Active. So enemies would be attacking me the second battle started. The pans allow me to prep myself. Without it, I find the experience disjointed. There's nothing wrong with the pan itself. The problem is length and speed of it.

That's fine many of you don't feel it's game breaking, but for many it is. Saying that's hyperbolic because you can stomach it isn't fair. For many of it absolutely is. It's bearable for a short amount of time? Sure. but when you see these battles go in this manner, where your actions take nearly half a minute to actually go through after being queued up, it gets annoying. Personally, I was able to stomach it until the Evil Forest. I then tried speed booster but it just wasn't working for me at all and had to search for mods. If this mod were not available I would have requested Steam give me a refund because I would have be incapable of playing it. That is my experience.

I am calling you stans because many of you are acting like stans. You have taken a criticism to an extreme as an attack on the game itself when I and others have said that the actual game - with the exception of battle - is pretty great. We just want to enjoy that beyond that aspect. Also stan isn't an insult and you shouldn't take it like one.

It isn't that you have no grip on reality, it's that you have taken a personal opinion (Final Fantasy IX is unplayble without speed hacks) as an attack. You say it's playable. I don't think it personally is. Because I think it's unplayable does not mean I'm being hyperbolic.

FFVII and VIII are considerably faster. Battles load the second the swirl is gone. Actions happen nearly right after they're queued. The require no speed hacks and have been absolutely fine. I've had this problem with FFIX for years and it's the main reason I was looking forward the Steam release with the hope that someone at SE realized that FFIX's battle system is absolute ball sweat to many people due to its poor speed.

If you want me to make a comparison video of me playing both FFVIII and IX in their fastest default states to compare their speeds, I will do so. But you will be proven wrong.

As someone said the ideal hack would interpolate the battle system to 60 fps (same subjective speed, but smooth animation) with a speed-up toggle button. I know the PC version of FF7 got a nice 60 fps battle hack, dunno about speed-up though.

OP, fyi, it's easy to use software like Xpadder, Pinnacle Game Profiler or Padstarr to map the F1 key to your game controller (for easy couch activation). No unused buttons? You can set it to activate after holding a button for a certain period or after pressing a combination of buttons.

It isn't that you have no grip on reality, it's that you have taken a personal opinion (Final Fantasy IX is unplayble without speed hacks) as an attack. You say it's playable. I don't think it personally is. Because I think it's unplayable does not mean I'm being hyperbolic.

Saying something is unplayable is beyond the realm of opinion, you're stating a fact. If you weren't, that's exactly the definition of being hyperbolic. You can dislike it and all, find it unplayable, but when you open up a thread in a discussion forum with wording like that it's no wonder people are going to come here to disagree. I mean, did you post it so everyone would agree with you? I understand your point, but it's different to say "I can't stomach it" instead of "this game is literally unplayable", like I said, it's not that surprising people are going to come here and disagree with you.

Beyond the realm of opinion. Haha, okay. So if someone says Final Fantasy IX is a great game, they're stating a fact and not their opinion? Must we always quantify exactly who we're talking about here? Must every statement be made with an addendum in,"Final Fantasy IX is a great game to me?" That seems incredibly limiting. It should be assumed through language that our experiences are our experiences. I'm not saying FFIX being unplayable is a universal fact at all. If you bothered to read my original post, you would understand this. I can only convey my experience, and to me it's unplayable. So statements are no longer opinions as long as you use the "correct" word choice?

And no, I didn't think everyone would agree with me. Nor did I expect everyone to.

AgeEighty

I tried playing without the camera pan and found it a bit unnatural. I play on Active. So enemies would be attacking me the second battle started. The pans allow me to prep myself. Without it, I find the experience disjointed. There's nothing wrong with the pan itself. The problem is length and speed of it.

The lack of a camera pan is unnatural, but the battle playing out like a Benny Hill skit isn't? OK. I don't get that, but different strokes and all.

I am calling you stans because many of you are acting like stans. You have taken a criticism to an extreme as an attack on the game itself when I and others have said that the actual game - with the exception of battle - is pretty great. We just want to enjoy that beyond that aspect. Also stan isn't an insult and you shouldn't take it like one.

I think you ought to go back and re-read the thread. Most of the people who disagree with you simply said so; it was you who started attacking people for their disagreement and belittling their opinions. As for telling me not to take "stan" as an insult, that's asinine. Calling someone who disagrees with you an "overzealous, maniacal fan" is an insult in any context.

Calling the game "unplayable" without hacks is hyperbolic by definition because you clearly have played through the game before and enjoyed it even in that state. And the reason your opinion met with resistance from people is that there are others reading this who haven't played the game, and it's important to provide a counterpoint showing that many people don't think as you do.

If you want me to make a comparison video of me playing both FFVIII and IX in their fastest default states to compare their speeds, I will do so. But you will be proven wrong.

I've played both games on more than one occasion; I know precisely how fast they both are. I said already that IX is slower. But how much slower, you're exaggerating. Don't bother with the video; you posted those awful-looking videos of the Memoria hack already thinking that everyone would agree they looked great, and we saw how that turned out.

BONKERS

Looks like XII HD's ridiculous speed up options will be right up OPs alley.

Now there's a game that needed a speed up lol. I love FFXII, but I remember the first time I played it I literally fell asleep playing it several times because of the slow pace. hah

The lack of a camera pan is unnatural, but the battle playing out like a Benny Hill skit isn't? OK. I don't get that, but different strokes and all.

I think you ought to go back and re-read the thread. Most of the people who disagree with you simply said so; it was you who started attacking people for their disagreement and belittling their opinions. As for telling me not to take "stan" as an insult, that's asinine. Calling someone who disagrees with you an "overzealous, maniacal fan" is an insult in any context.

Calling the game "unplayable" without hacks is hyperbolic by definition because you clearly have played through the game before and enjoyed it even in that state. And the reason your opinion met with resistance from people is that there are others reading this who haven't played the game, and it's important to provide a counterpoint showing that many people don't think as you do.

I've played both games on more than one occasion; I know precisely how fast they both are. I said already that IX is slower. But how much slower, you're exaggerating. Don't bother with the video; you posted those awful-looking videos of the Memoria hack already thinking that everyone would agree they looked great, and we saw how that turned out.

I'm not sure why you're so mad about the battles playing out like a "Benny Hill" skit when you suggested playing with speed booster on earlier which I deliberately made Memoria comparatively slower than. The battles being fast isn't a big problem for me. I process it just fine especially compared with the default in game speed booster. Fact is, everything you do to mod the battles will be "unnatural" because they go against the games inherent design. Personally, I prefer 20 and 25 speed compared to the 40 fps speed in the original video. The original video isn't how I play the game. It was a test and to show off exactly how fast actions occur dialing in the input. FFIX's input delay caused massive problems for me enjoying its battles personally. So I even agree that the first video is too fast! But that wasn't the point of the video.

You looked up stan on urban dictionary but I'm telling you it's not an insult. It can be used endearingly. The fact you looked it up tells me you're not familiar with the term or how it's used. But getting upset about being called a stan is beyond ridiculous, especially since people generally call themselves stans all the time.

As for it being hyperbole because I found it playable in the past, that's a massive fallacy. When FFIX came out I was mostly inexperienced with RPGs and my tastes hadn't really blossomed yet. At the point when FFIX came out I had played less than 10 rpgs total and all of them were made by Squaresoft with the exception of Pokemon. I didn't even notice it was slow. How could I? But the more RPGs I played the more I noticed I prefer fast and efficient battle systems. It's why I later latched on to games with fast systems like X-2, Suikoden games, Dragon Quest games, and SMT games. By the time I tried to replay FFIX I found its battle system horrendous because I now had a decade of rpg experience - I was now a hardened vet of the genre. It was bearable then but was the games biggest flaw and couldn't complete my replay because of it. That isn't hyperbole. My preferences just changed over time. How is that hyperbole? I'm being honest.

LAky4Xj.jpg

SMH....How can the OP miss this?

Wazzy

Banned
Eh that's a little too fast for me but IX is definitely atrociously slow. It's great but it's turned me off replaying it.
I have a mod which makes FFIX playable. It's called FFVIII.

lmao I love this

Edit: Holy shit at the defensiveness of some IX fans in here. You guys seriously can't take even an ounce of criticism against IX. Like any FF, it has it's flaws.

SMH....How can the OP miss this?

The option above it says battle camera. What is battle camera? In FFVII switching battle camera to fixed makes the battles more static. So when characters summon you don't get to see characters do that cool animation with their hands. So I've always left it to default and not bothered touching battle cameras in every game since. When I went into FFIX options I saw it and didn't know what it meant. As far I knew, it could have meant that it skips the camera during battle when spells are cast - which I like - or if it means skipping the pans in the intro. If it skips the camera pans in the intro, since the camera would be off would that mean it'd skip over cool zoom ins on animations like Vivi twirling his staff before a spell?

So. Would you agree that "Skip battle camera" is vague as fuck and not something I'd be willing to turn on given my experience playing FFVII almost twenty years ago?

AgeEighty

I'm not sure why you're so mad about the battles playing out like a "Benny Hill" skit when you suggested playing with speed booster on earlier which I deliberately made Memoria comparatively slower than. The battles being fast isn't a big problem for me. I process it just fine especially compared with the default in game speed booster. Fact is, everything you do to mod the battles will be "unnatural" because they go against the games inherent design. Personally, I prefer 20 and 25 speed compared to the 40 fps speed in the original video. The original video isn't how I play the game. It was a test and to show off exactly how fast actions occur dialing in the input. FFIX's input delay caused massive problems for me enjoying its battles personally. So I even agree that the first video is too fast! But that wasn't the point of the video.

Mostly I suggested just maxing the battle speed slider, but that the speed booster is there as an in-game option who want to fast forward through battles in a similar fashion. I don't actually advocate using it. But you have to admit there's a logical disconnect between someone who likes sped-up battles and someone who wants to have a lazy, sweeping camera pan to "plan", yet who complained in the very same thread about how long it takes between the swirl and first command input.

You looked up stan on urban dictionary but I'm telling you it's not an insult. It can be used endearingly. The fact you looked it up tells me you're not familiar with the term or how it's used. But getting upset about being called a stan is beyond ridiculous, especially since people generally call themselves stans all the time.

Then it tells you incorrectly. I linked the definition to provide reference to clear evidence that the term is primarily used antagonistically, not because I didn't know what it meant. And given the context of the posts you used it in to explain away their differing opinions, and that you've been consistently rude to dissenters throughout the rest of the thread, I can't say I really buy your "term of endearment" bullshit.

As for it being hyperbole because I found it playable in the past, that's a massive fallacy. When FFIX came out I was mostly inexperienced with RPGs and my tastes hadn't really blossomed yet. At the point when FFIX came out I had played less than 10 rpgs total and all of them were made by Squaresoft with the exception of Pokemon. I didn't even notice it was slow. How could I? But the more RPGs I played the more I noticed I prefer fast and efficient battle systems. It's why I later latched on to games with fast systems like X-2, Suikoden games, Dragon Quest games, and SMT games. By the time I tried to replay FFIX I found its battle system horrendous because I now had a decade of rpg experience - I was now a hardened vet of the genre. It was bearable then but was the games biggest flaw and couldn't complete my replay because of it. That isn't hyperbole. My preferences just changed over time. How is that hyperbole? I'm being honest.

Except that you then went on to argue with just about everyone who posted in the thread that they had no problem with the battle speed. So it clearly isn't just all about your personal preferences, is it?

So. Would you agree that "Skip battle camera" is vague as fuck and not something I'd be willing to turn on given my experience playing FFVII almost twenty years ago?

Nope. You turn it on, check to see if it does what you think it does, and if so, you turn it back off again. Certainly I would think you'd do that before going to all the trouble of modding the game and then posting a long-ass OP complaining about it.

The option above it says battle camera. What is battle camera? In FFVII switching battle camera to fixed makes the battles more static. So when characters summon you don't get to see characters do that cool animation with their hands. So I've always left it to default and not bothered touching battle cameras in every game since. When I went into FFIX options I saw it and didn't know what it meant. As far I knew, it could have meant that it skips the camera during battle when spells are cast - which I like - or if it means skipping the pans in the intro. If it skips the camera pans in the intro, since the camera would be off would that mean it'd skip over cool zoom ins on animations like Vivi twirling his staff before a spell?

Alright - yeah I guess you're not like me, as in I obsess myself in trying out all the options.

Mostly I suggested just maxing the battle speed slider, but that the speed booster is there as an in-game option who want to fast forward through battles in a similar fashion. I don't actually advocate using it. But you have to admit there's a logical disconnect between someone who likes sped-up battles and someone who wants to have a lazy, sweeping camera pan to "plan", yet who complained in the very same thread about how long it takes between the swirl and first command input.

Then it tells you incorrectly. I linked the definition to provide reference to clear evidence that the term is primarily used antagonistically, not because I didn't know what it meant. And given the context of the posts you used it in to explain away their differing opinions, and that you've been consistently rude to dissenters throughout the rest of the thread, I can't say I really buy your "term of endearment" bullshit.

Except that you then went on to argue with just about everyone who posted in the thread that they had no problem with the battle speed. So it clearly isn't just all about your personal preferences, is it?

Nope. You turn it on, check to see if it does what you think it does, and if so, you turn it back off again. Certainly I would think you'd do that before going to all the trouble of modding the game and then posting a long-ass OP complaining about it.

Playing FFIX on max speed in not in any way a fix for me. That's how I play every FF already. That's not a disconnect at all. I don't like the camera pan to plan. I like the camera pan to tell me when battle starts. At a fast speed, this is useful for obvious reasons.

Stan is not primarily used antagonistically. I'm not even the only person in the thread who has used it! Am I supposed to be nice about people misunderstanding the mod? You act like my behavior is unwarranted. I'd say the reactions to my video definitely makes it warranted.

I have argued with people no differently than how you have argued with Durante or how you're arguing with me right now. This is a discussion forum. What are you expecting? Was the discussion amicable to begin with? Nope.

At this point you're nitpicking and honestly if you don't want to talk about the mod or the slowness of FFIX's battle speed or how you can help people who feel it's too slow, why are you in this thread? To debate the use of words like stan or unplayable?

So I'm the one being rude huh? I'm the who can't handle dissenting opinions, huh? Heh. Turning it off definitely fixes all of FFIX's battle problems - not.

AgeEighty

Playing FFIX on max speed in not in any way a fix for me. That's how I play every FF already. That's not a disconnect at all. I don't like the camera pan to plan. I like the camera pan to tell me when battle starts. At a fast speed, this is useful for obvious reasons.

Pardon me, "prep" was the word you used, not "plan". Still seems like a disconnect to me. It's not like it launches you into battle in an eye blink; you still have the swirl, a load time of a couple seconds, and a fade-in.

Stan is not primarily used antagonistically. I'm not even the only person in the thread who has used it! Am I supposed to be nice about people misunderstanding the mod? You act like my behavior is unwarranted. I'd say the reactions to my video definitely makes it warranted.

Of course you would say that. But it is unwarranted, because you've been an ass to both the people who misunderstood the mod and the people who didn't see a need for the mod.

I have argued with people no differently than how you have argued with Durante or how you're arguing with me right now.

At this point you're nitpicking and honestly if you don't want to talk about the mod or the slowness of FFIX's battle speed or how you can help people who feel it's too slow, why are you in this thread? To debate the use of words like stan or unplayable?

Sure. I haven't called you a name or said your opinions come from being a blind, maniacal fan or in denial of reality, but why not throw a little false equivalency into the mix?

I'm in the thread because I am genuinely interested in Memoria and the potential it may have for future, non-speed-focused mods, especially since no one else seems to be working on this game in the mod community. (I'm also defending the game's speed because I don't want people reading comments like yours and thinking the game is a hopeless mess as-is, because it isn't.) And instead of positively promoting Memoria as the interesting tool with potential that it is, you turned the whole thing into a clusterfuck with all your rudeness to people who take issue with your broad swipes against the game. Good job?

We're just going in circles, so I'm done here. Enjoy what remains of your bad thread.

I'm in the thread because I am genuinely interested in Memoria and the potential it may have for future, non-speed-focused mods, especially since no one else seems to be working on this game in the mod community. (I'm also defending the game's speed because I don't want people reading comments like yours and thinking the game is a hopeless mess as-is, because it isn't.) And instead of positively promoting Memoria as the interesting tool with potential that it is, you turned the whole thing into a clusterfuck with all your rudeness to people who take issue with your broad swipes against the game. Good job?

We're just going in circles, so I'm done here. Enjoy what remains of your bad thread.
You're obviously not protecting the Memoria brand, because you're clueless about its staple features.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/ff-modding/discussions/13/357284131804133221/

Features:
Disable/Enable cheats
Fast battle (Custom FPS, skip waiting or turn-based)
Save/Load anywhere (Alt+F5 / Alt+F9)
Edit game data
All of characters available
Easy rope jumping
Change the game font
Export text resources
Import text resources

Not clear enough? Watch their first YouTube example.

Frankly, the point of mods is to tailor games to the player. It's clear OP's style is not for you, but that isn't their reason for existence. They don't need you defending them (Memoria), especially because you don't understand their purpose, but I don't buy that's your intention anyways.

And then there's you trying to defend a 16 year old game by forcing people to play it the way you think it should be played. Ignoring the fact that SE themselves implemented a speed-up feature, that is a bigger offender than Cindi Mayweather's Memoria implementation. I personally was excited for the official speed-up support, but it's awful, it's unusable (this is an opinion. why do i even have to fucking say this?) but at the same time I have no interest in playing FF IX (one of my favorite experiences growing up) in its original state. With Memoria I might be able to find a happy medium (for me, in my opinion, please don't arrest me) that works.

Your last sentence is childish.

I seriously only wanted to inform other people who feel similarly about FFIX (people who love the game and find it a slog to play due to the battle system but find the official speed booster to be awful). Instead this is the thread we got. I wrote an articulate and well argued op to let people know so a mod was out there. If people don't have an interest in the mod, that's their perogative, but they aren't who I made this thread for. I'm sorry for making it and it's pretty obvious by now that my directness is not suitable for gaf or its form of discourse. I will not bother to make another "bad" thread if other threads will be a similar vacuum of excessive defensiveness.

Time to go on a - very - long gaf break.

I played through IX just recently on PS1 and don't remember it being anything but totally playable. So playable, in fact, that I played through it.
Wtf is this garbage?

Wazzy

Banned
I seriously only wanted to inform other people who feel similarly about FFIX (people who love the game and find it a slog to play due to the battle system but find the official speed booster to be awful). Instead this is the thread we got. I wrote an articulate and well argued op to let people know so a mod was out there. If people don't have an interest in the mod, that's their perogative, but they aren't who I made this thread for. I'm sorry for making it and it's pretty obvious by now that my directness is not suitable for gaf or its form of discourse. I will not bother to make another "bad" thread if other threads will be a similar vacuum of excessive defensiveness.

Time to go on a - very - long gaf break.
You shouldn't let a few obnoxious posters who take their love of IX way too seriously ruin posting for you. They're mad because they can't take criticism and that's not on you it's on them.

Your thread is completely fine and very helpful for people who do want to use the mod.

No. Final Fantasy IX is perfectly fine as is. You ever wondered why you were fine with it the first time?
What kind of question is this? Because we were children/teenagers, with different priorities and tastes, not to mention the industry has evolved and we have seen many new ideas and concepts since then?

It's like some of you don't realize that this in no way changes how *you* have to play FFIX. It'll exist the way it always has.

What kind of question is this? Because we were children/teenagers, with different priorities and tastes, not to mention the industry has evolved and we have seen many new ideas and concepts since then?

It's like some of you don't realize that this in no way changes how *you* have to play FFIX. It'll exist the way it always has.

It's a good one. And in what way don't I realize it cause I never said that shit.

I finished FFIX so many times with the default battle speed and loading screens. And I finish the game almost once every 2 years since its release. If people think it's unplayable, I must be crazy then.

Acerac

Banned
Did something confuse you?

The issue most people has is with how condescending the poster is being to those who disagree with them, not what games they don't like.

Nobody would take issue with a person saying that they dislike FF9 because it isn't fast enough. Calling the game unplayable and insulting those who disagree is obviously going to ruffle some feathers.

Wazzy

Banned
The issue most people has is with how condescending the poster is being to those who disagree with them, not what games they don't like.

Nobody would take issue with a person saying that they dislike FF9 because it isn't fast enough. Calling the game unplayable and insulting those who disagree is obviously going to ruffle some feathers.
For many posters it IS unplayable. Did anyone even read the part where the OP said they loved IX? Probably not because they were too busy rushing to post about how wrong the OP is for daring to criticize IX.

I like IX but I won't go back to it because it's too slow and it's obviously an issue because it's been one of it's major criticisms. It doesn't mean the game is unplayable for you but for people where it is, this mod helps them.

Kientin

FFIX one of the few FFs I have a hard time coming back to because of the slow battle speed so thank you OP. Don't let the other posters get you down, I appreciate and am intrigued by this mod. Do you have a video anywhere of the game running at normal FPS with the waiting skipped?

Jebusman

Banned
For many posters it IS unplayable. Did anyone even read the part where the OP said they loved IX? Probably not because they were too busy rushing to post about how wrong the OP is for daring to criticize IX.

I like IX but I won't go back to it because it's too slow and it's obviously an issue because it's been one of it's major criticisms. It doesn't mean the game is unplayable for you but for people where it is, this mod helps them.

Did you actually read the thread?

People aren't saying the OP is wrong for trying to criticize IX. No one is going to argue that IX isn't a slower pace game.

But people are going to argue on whether or not that's unplayable, and I think for a large majority of people (given the responses in this thread at least) the slow speed isn't anywhere near "unplayable".

And the OPs repeated insistence that anyone trying to defend the game's slowness is just stanning for IX (and also denying that they're using that as an insult) is the thing setting them off. It starts veering away from "my personal opinion" and more "objective truth and you're too stupid to understand this". The OP isn't trying to have a discussion, they're trying to dictate to people, and the idea that "I didn't make the thread for them" doesn't really hold up when the OP contains statements like

I feel sorry for the PS4 people who are waiting for FFIX PS4 because it will be by far the inferior version because there's no fucking way Square Enix has the goddamn common sense to reduce the load times, speed up the battle system, and take out that STUPID wait feature from the battle system.

That's not trying to have a discussion about this neat mod. That's trying to talk down to people who actually like or aren't bother by the speed of the game. It is practically inviting people to jump in to defend the game.

And being confronted with this, the OP has chosen to.... take their ball and go home. Because I don't think the OP was willing to even consider or concede the idea that for a lot of people, the speed isn't actually a dealbreaker, and even for those that dislike the speed, this mod is not a very good way of fixing it.

TL;DR: This mod is interesting but not exactly good. FFIX has been, and continues to be, perfectly playable and trying assert to people that they're wrong for thinking so is just being a dick.

Jebusman

Banned
It's the "Sonic was kinda bad" thread all over again. Same OP, even.

At least in that case I don't think people would argue Sonic 1 is the best game in the series (because it really isn't) but the idea to label the entire franchise as bad based on the least critically revered originals, and before bothering to play the ones (most) people tend to actually remember with fondness was another "I'm going to dictate my opinion as the correct one and I'm not going to budge an inch".

Edit: Also when it got to the "Sonic 2 is also a bad game" I checked out. Cindi just literally cannot handle people saying their opinion isn't in the majority. It has to be them that are wrong.

Acerac

Banned

That's a totally valid opinion to have. I disagree with your opinion about how playable the base game is, but I can respect where you are coming from.

I read the OP and all the posts in the thread, I just feel that the language used by the poster was disrespectful to those who would disagree with them. Whoever posts a thread sets the tone, and they certainly left an impression here.

Unai

I love the game and think it a slog to play due to the slow battle system, but the videos in the OP are pretty disgusting ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Memoria ia really interesting though. That turn based setting sounds amazing.

At least in that case I don't think people would argue Sonic 1 is the best game in the series (because it really isn't) but the idea to label the entire franchise as bad based on the least critically revered originals, and before bothering to play the ones (most) people tend to actually remember with fondness was another "I'm going to dictate my opinion as the correct one and I'm not going to budge an inch".

You have the facts wrong. I played all those games you say most people revere in the series a hundred times as a kid. As an adult I think they're bad games. I didn't say Sonic franchise is bad based off Sonic 1. It based it off 1-3 and Knuckles. If you're going talk shit, at least have facts to go along with it.

Phu

Banned
IX is probably my favorite FF but the slowness has always been a drag when going back to it. Think I'll check this out!

EDIT: Woah, I jumped right past all this Sonic stuff.

Jebusman

Banned
You have the facts wrong. I played all those games you say most people revere in the series a hundred times as a kid. As an adult I think they're bad games. I didn't say Sonic franchise is bad based off Sonic 1. It based it off 1-3 and Knuckles. If you're going talk shit, at least have facts to go along with it.

You started the thread, having recently played Sonic The Hedgehog 1, and nothing but Sonic The Hedgehog 1, and then tried to argue that Sonic was bad, had maybe always been bad, and at first you were scared to go back to Sonic 2 because you figured it would also be bad. People pointed out that when people speak highly of the series, it tends to lean towards 2 and 3&K. So then after all this, then you played 2.

When you then proceeded to play and say it was bad, then went on to S3&K and claimed that was bad too.

Which you can personally find that those games aren't great in your own opinion, but the moment you started labeling every single person trying to argue that the games weren't bad with:

Let's be honest. There's a lot of hysterical "too many Sonic is bad threads and this hurts my feelings and clearly this means people will start going after Sega next" posts in this thread.

People cannot handle others not liking Sonic.

It's kind of pathetic.

You jumped the shark on the whole point. You stopped trying to argue that you personally did not like Sonic. You started arguing that people who liked Sonic were in the wrong for trying to defend the game they liked. All of a sudden you were the victim because people didn't share your opinion.

We can go over that entire thread again if you like, but considering i have it up right in front of me and the attitude you displayed in there and the responses you got, despite it being about an entirely different franchise and fandom, are EXACTLY the same as the ones you got here, surely must tell you that maybe you're the one in the minority opinion here, and "maybe" people don't appreciate being talked down to as if your opinion is the superior one.

Which is what you keep doing, even if you seemingly deny so.

I look forward to "Was Super Mario Brothers 'really' a good game?" in a few months so we can have another round of it.

Edit: And don't let it be said I don't appreciate a rousing argument about the qualities of a game and whether or not it's objectively "good" or "bad". I just don't think you're all that great at expressing those opinions without just resorting to belittling and dismissing the people you're arguing with.

HeelPower

This is why FF9 cannot be regarded as the one of the best by any stretch.

The GAMEPLAY,the actual thing that you do during your play time, is unengaging,uninteresting,slow as molasses and brain dead.

Not to mention the game has other problems outside of that.

One of the very weakest FF.

Mozendo

So we have
  • People praising 9
  • People bashing on 9
  • People acting as if their opinions are facts
  • People namedropping other games in the franchise
Yup, it's a Final Fantasy thread alright

This is why FF9 cannot be regarded as the one of the best by any stretch.

The GAMEPLAY,the actual thing that you do during your play time, is unengaging,uninteresting,slow as molasses and brain dead.

Not to mention the game has other problems outside of that.

One of the very weakest FF.

Eh, it's no FF6 (boring) or FF4 (outright terrible).

So we have
  • People praising 9
  • People bashing on 9
  • People acting as if their opinions are facts
  • People namedropping other games in the franchise
Yup, it's a Final Fantasy thread alright
  • Sure
  • Sure
  • I could do without, but sure
  • Sure
3/4 of these are totally valid for a discussion, no?

Top Bottom