• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

yonder

I have seriously thinning hair and am thinking of buzzing it/cutting it very short. I used to have Leo DiCaprio hair so it's very disheartening.

attachment-6986.jpg

Should I just cut it all off?

Yeah, you look like you could pull it off, especially with some more facial hair. Try it out! If you don't like it, it'll grow back.

Hey guys, do you think that this hair cut looks good on me or do you think i should make some modifications?, thanks!
It's too flat and untextured, so it appears wig-like, as if your hair is a hat. Maybe try cutting a bit shorter and running some avocado oil for some texture.

Anyone know what kind of haircut Craig is sporting in Spectre? Or for those who are experts in hairstyle, what would I have to ask for? I don't have a widows peak like Craig, but I'd like to try it out:

James-Bond-hair-04-GQ-19oct15_b_813x494.jpg

That's all scissors, right? I'm tired of getting a fade 3 on the sides, and cutting the top short.

Thanks

EDIT-Welp, here it is:

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/style/...-get-daniel-craigs-james-bond-spectre-haircut

"If you want to give specific instructions, ask for the length at the sides to be approximately 1 to 1.5cm (you don't want to show skin) and keep the top a touch longer at 2cm. The cut starts short and detailed around the ears and hairline, gradually left a little longer around the temples to give a bespoke shape. But it does depend on your hair type."

Ooooooooh, boy. I know I go to poverty Fantastic Sam's for my haircuts, but I'll give my stylist who does a good job usually ONE chance. If not, I guess I'll have to spend more money which I would hate, but it's probably worth it.

I really want the full homeless samurai bun! I'm gonna try and preserver and at the same time, try and grow my beard for more than 2 weeks. I suck at sticking with it.

I have really thick hair, so if I don't maintain the sides and the back I don't just look unwashed, I look like some crazy freakazoid. Its not awkward phase. It's this-guy-eats-his-own-doo-doo-phase.

Someone told me that for the first year or 1,5 years I need to cut my back and sides and let hair on the head grow. For the full bun I need about 19-20 inches of hair!? On the top of my head right now, I'd say I have about 3 or so inches, so I have a long way to go.

I've had the same style for almost 20 years. I want something different. Every barber have suggested I avoid undercut for my head type (I'm very large with a thick profile) so a top bun would probably look silly on me too.

I need to figure out some good ways to style my hair while my top hair gets so long. Hopefully I can learn some stiles to pull it to the sides.

The only thing I know how to do is to use mud clay. my hair is usually very manga-like. spiky, thick and shaped by the wind and weather throughout the day. I always look like a random tornado so I am not sure that homeless bun look will be that much different.

I'm more worried by the beard. I seem to get long enough hairs, but they are not very dense. my friends tell me to give it more time. I just have to stick with it. I've never stuck with it more than 2-3 weeks! It just looks so horrible. like pubic hair for your face!

It's expensive, takes hours and kills your hair. Plus not a lot of people can do it properly.

I need some good examples. My friend is a hairdresser and offered to do it for free...

(I'm asian and have longish hair...will I look like a Kpop singer...)

Hair gods (or any knowledgeable people), I need your insight:

I moved to a place that has very soft water and now I constantly have a crown of curls to contend with. It probably doesn't help that I use some shampoo+conditioner everyday in the shower (right?).

1cBkApE.png
RJAVfLh.png

Also worth noting it always looks better when I wake up in the morning. By then, it lays flatter all around and my bangs are about an inch lower. Is it possible to get that unkempt look without the curls? What would make my hair more malleable and lay flatter?

Thanks!

Rookje

Hair gods (or any knowledgeable people), I need your insight:

I moved to a place that has very soft water and now I constantly have a crown of curls to contend with. It probably doesn't help that I use some shampoo+conditioner everyday in the shower (right?).

1cBkApE.png
RJAVfLh.png

Also worth noting it always looks better when I wake up in the morning. By then, it lays flatter all around and my bangs are about an inch lower. Is it possible to get that unkempt look without the curls? What would make my hair more malleable and lay flatter?

Thanks!
Keep growing your hair out. Go for a modern textured shag, something like this:

Keep growing your hair out. Go for a modern textured shag, something like this:
Thanks a lot for the feedback-- that's the hair I'm going for. I've never gotten a textured cut like that before so I'll try it next time once my hair grows out a bit more. Thanks again.

So... long hair crew, it's finally come to fruition 👍

XALfg1D.jpg

Nice length. Are you planning on getting a man bun? I guess you'd need to see your hairdresser soon before it gets out of control.

I've been growing out my hair for 13 months now in order to get a bun. My God does it take forever but it is also somewhat fun. I occasionally got the hair in the back trimmed so that it looks presentable and I am now better informed about hairstyling products, ingredients, shampoo and conditioner than most women....That's something, I guess.

This is what it looks like now:

0N91Iqy.jpg

Alright gaf bruhs, my hairs really straight and long at the moment. I need a new haircut.

You think this style looks ok? I probably wont want the side swept bangs to be that long maybe 4 or 5 inches shorter.

CIfAGCyWsAE-msH.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Alright gaf bruhs, my hairs really straight and long at the moment. I need a new haircut.

You think this style looks ok? I probably wont want the side swept bangs to be that long maybe 4 or 5 inches shorter.

CIfAGCyWsAE-msH.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
If you have the bone structure that can support such ridiculous asymmetry, sure.

Otherwise, you're going to look very cosplay and/or try-hard.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Think i'm gonna grow out my hair.

I work in a heritage clothing store so that combined with daily instagram posts of dudes shaving off great length is actually making me cringe.

It's official guys. It's dead. Let's all go home.

jesalr

Anybody from NY have any suggestions on where to get a cut? I just moved over from London, so don't really have a current place to get my haircuits.

I work around Union Sq, live in Bushwick.

kinn

Not sure if this is the besr place to ask but Ill ask anyway. Eyebrows...how many do you guys groom them? Or pluck, shave etc?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if this is the besr place to ask but Ill ask anyway. Eyebrows...how many do you guys groom them? Or pluck, shave etc?

I pluck mine and when I get my haircut stylist will usually trim them for me.

Joe

Can anyone recommend some all-natural shampoo and conditioner that isn't too expensive? Something around $25 to $30 for both?

kaskade

I think I'm going to grow my hair out. I had it at a few inches on the top in July for a wedding, then it got crazy hot out so I lopped it all off a week later. I'm kinda bummed I did that now. You guys have some nice length in here. I started watching Black Sails and in the early season captain flint has longer hair pulled back. Something I've always wanted to do, maybe it's time. Hopefully my hair isn't too thick.

tumblr_inline_n3b4yjnnIP1qgj3y4.jpg

all the time i've been looking for some hairbands online i could have just went to walmart and gotten the plastic ones with the small teeth in there.

now i'm back to growing it out some more. its slightly near or below my shoulder.

fantomena

Not sure how active this thread is, but here goes: Why is it difficulty to style thick hair? Im a male and everytime I got to the barber the person thins my hair out and that makes it kinda easy to style, but after 3 weeks, it seems like my hair is super thick again and it's more difficulty to style, both with gel/wax and without it.

Not sure how active this thread is, but here goes: Why is it difficulty to style thick hair? Im a male and everytime I got to the barber the person thins my hair out and that makes it kinda easy to style, but after 3 weeks, it seems like my hair is super thick again and it's more difficulty to style, both with gel/wax and without it.

Its not really, just depends how you cut it and how your hair grows (I have almost dog thick hair and a double crown) end up with a 0 fade and enough on top and at the front to push to one side

RedAssedApe

Banned
just got back from a haircut.

the lady who has been cutting my hair the last few years is moving back to japan. while she was cutting my hair she said something along the lines of "this is going to sound awkward but...do you know that your hair is thinning in the front?" and proceeded to suggest some hair fiber/powder stuff that people use to help hide hairloss.

lmao...thanks...now i'm not as bummed to see her go :p

so my hair right now is feeling good. i cover it up with a hair scarf thingy. when i take it off and swing my head around it looks great. it's like The princess diary when anne got a whole makeover and they pull off her cap in class.

almost 2017. hopefully by end of 2017 my hair will be a good length.

cheezcake

Want a new haircut, really my first proper haircut ever, can't really figure out my face type or hair texture. It's somewhere between oval/diamond and straight/wavy. Thinking of just seeing a good stylist and asking for recommendations, thoughts? Should run somewhere between $60-80.

my hair progress for Locks for Love

Top left - March 2014
Bottom Left - January 2015
Top Right - February 2016
Bottom Right - August 2017
dates going by time of submission on google photo. i probably should look at the exif data lol. but no one got time for that.

CLpM12c.jpg

Guys, I have thick dry and frizzed hair. I've been using Loreal Low Shampoo (picture in the bottom of the post) and usually I let it hair dry because, even thought I use a heat protection spray, my hair gets all crispy and frizzed. I hate how it looks.
I only wash it two times a week (max) and when I don't wash it I sometimes apply some cheap argan oil to it -but still no results.

I would love it to be less wavy and frizzed but I can't seem to do it. When applying some styling products I can make it look a little better.

I've been thinking on switching shampoo (once again). Can someone recommend me some?

And what styling products could I use to achieve this look? I already have my sides shorter than my top (I've been using this for a while now) but I want to achieve this one sided looking hairstyle. I tend to follow my hair growth when applying pomade but the hold is not that good.

Any good inexpensive conditioner for a scalp that feels dry/stretched? I don't particularly want to go the route of the $20+ type of stuff (Paul Mitchell, etc), mainly because I'm not made of money. Just something that maybe I could find at the haircare aisle at the grocery store and/or beauty store. I know it's not the ideal place to find that stuff, but it's the most convenient way for me.

Pale white dude with short, wavy hair.

mekes

IzukuMidoriya IzukuMidoriya
Neutrogena T-gel shampoo and conditioner. It’s not expensive so can likely replace it with what you currently use at no extra cost. I know not all guys brush their hair depending on the style they have, but it wouldn’t hurt to have a brush whilst drying your hair as that is good for the scalp.

Or you can try a hair tonic. Similar to the stuff barbers like to spray when giving you a cut. Pashana is a nice non-expensive brand that is used by a lot of barbers. I’d recommend the Eau de Cologne out of their range, Works best if you spray and brush it through on clean damp hair, then use the hairdryer.

Top Bottom