• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mercedes F1 changes livery in support of BLM

Makariel

Jan 14, 2018
A Thread for Breakage Breakage

Recently 6 time world champion Lewis Hamilton has become more active in the BLM protests:

And now Mercedes F1 team has followed his lead and changed the livery of their F1 team:

This is a sharp break with Mercedes tradition, having raced with silver cars ever since they re-joined the formula 1 circuis.

Is this going too far? Will BLM have any impact on the "rich boys club" that Formula 1 traditionally is?

Reactions: The Scrivener

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Yes Mercedez you know the guys who made cars for the Nazi's.

But tear down the Lincoln statue he didn't really like black people when he freed the slaves.

Will it run on the ashes of Jews/Gypsies/Black/Political prisoners that were burnt up in Nazi concentration camps?

*I kid I don't hold modernd day Mercedez responsible for what happend during WW2, but BLM should based on their retarded standards*

Makariel

Jan 14, 2018
Well yes, Daimler Benz was part of the Nazi war effort:

They also made the engines that powered the German WW2 fighters.

That said, they took responsibility and moved on, so some of the sneering on twitter towards Mercedes is a bit OOT IMO.

But I'm not suprised Nazis were mentioned in the very first response :p

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Well yes, Daimler Benz was part of the Nazi war effort:

They also made the engines that powered the German WW2 fighters.

That said, they took responsibility and moved on, so some of the sneering on twitter towards Mercedes is a bit OOT IMO.

But I'm not suprised Nazis were mentioned in the very first response :p
I mean I do know that. My dad drives a nice AMG convertible.

But the BLM movement has no time for forgiving the past. Mercedes supported one of the biggest racists in the world, he even drove around in their car.

If they can justify tearing down statues of Lincoln, I can't but do anything but call them hypocrites.

xrnzaaas

Dec 9, 2013
It's pretty funny how in the first photo from the BLM protests Lewis has a white slave personal assistant behind him. It makes a bigger statement than the sign he's carrying.

Reactions: cryptoadam

Makariel

Jan 14, 2018
It's pretty funny how in the first photo from the BLM protests Lewis has a white slave personal assistant behind him. It makes a bigger statement than the sign he's carrying.
Angela Cullen is his personal trainer and she's typically going wherever he goes, so not sure how much of a statement that is?

Piku_Ringo

Gold Member
Jan 24, 2015
My Grandpa owned a 1979 240D all the way back from when it was new on the market. Now it's in the junkyard. FUCK MERCEDES!!! 🖕 :cautious:

xrnzaaas

Dec 9, 2013
Angela Cullen is his personal trainer and she's typically going wherever he goes, so not sure how much of a statement that is?
I understand that she goes where he goes when it's grand prix weekend or when he's working on staying fit between gp weekends. But during a protest he attended in his free time and not as a representative of the Mercedes team?

Lewis is a celebrity and many people will pay special attention to what he's doing. Protesting for the black rights while having an assistant follow you around everywhere doesn't send the right message, at least that's how I look at it. If this was a non-work friend I wouldn't have the same issue.

Last edited:

The Scrivener

Oct 21, 2014
Black is a vibe is such a shit statement. Like, are we talking about real racism or an agenda. Their whole ideology is a vibe. It's corrupt.

Having said that, can't wait for F1 next week.