• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MercurySteam (CV Lords of Shadow) pitched Metroid FPS to Nintendo for Wii U/3DS

HardRojo

I'd rather have Nintendo develop it internally. Lords of Shadow was such a boring game so I don't know if MS is up to the task.

RK128

Well, was the same situation with Hyrule Warriors and now with Triforce Heroes, just remember that Zelda Wii U will probably the holiday 2016 title (and being Zelda NX, too).

I think at least Triforce Heroes does have some negative buzz floating around it, too.

As long as we don't know what Retro is working on, it might very well be Prime 4. If Nintendo wants a 3rd party collaboration for Metroid like they did with Smash Wii U/3DS with Namco, there sure are other pubs/devs that are on Nintendos' list.

Regarding the bolded, I could see them calling up Bamco again to make a Metroid game, with that being developed by the Soul's team (once work on Bloodborn DLC and Dark Souls 3 is complete). They can make some very haunting locations, the core gameplay of Souls could be adjusted to better accommodate the Metroid IP (faster movement, upgrade system, ect) and the level design could be bigger then past Soul's games (to encourage exploration and finding new items.

The Souls team might be a better fit with the Zelda IP but I could see them working on Metroid if they adjust a few things here and there to the Souls formula.....

AmyS

Just woke up to see this news on Eurogamer, haven't had time to read this thread.

So this does not mean Nintendo-Retro couldn't had been working on Prime 4 and that it has already been moved over to NX. Still a possibility? Even though we don't know exactly what Retro is doing.

Well, dodged a bullet there. I'd rather have another Retro-developed Metroid, thanks. All three LoS games were kinda shit in their own way, and the studio has apparently imploded due to the LoS2 catastrophe.

Did LoS rip that twist off Aria? Lol?

At least Aria made it subtle. I saw the twist coming the moment the LoS trailers portrayed Gabriel as being morally questionable. Soma never had that much character, but at least he handled the whole Dracula thing (in both the endings where he does and doesn't become Dracula) way better than Gabriel ever did.

Speaking of Soma, I actually wrote up an idea for a third Sorrow game at one point where Soma and Mina's school/college gets encased in a magic dome, monsters start coming out of the woodwork, and several students have suddenly gotten super-powers along with going crazy, forcing Soma and Mina to team up with some friends (all of them playable) to basically figure out what the hell is going on. Maybe I should revisit that at some point.

Just woke up to see this news on Eurogamer, haven't had time to read this thread.

So this does not mean Nintendo-Retro couldn't had been working on Prime 4 and that it has already been moved over to NX. Still a possibility? Even though we don't know exactly what Retro is doing.
Whatever Retro is doing, i'm pretty sure it will be cross-gen at the very least ... although Retro making a NX only showcase game might be a smart decision, given how they make some pretty good looking stuff.

I just hope someone at Nintendo does make a new mainline Metroid ... and i hope that they don't try to gauge interest in a new game with that Federation Force ... thing ...

KingBroly

Banned
Whatever Retro is doing, i'm pretty sure it will be cross-gen at the very least ... although Retro making a NX only showcase game might be a smart decision, given how they make some pretty good looking stuff.

I just hope someone at Nintendo does make a new mainline Metroid ... and i hope that they don't try to gauge interest in a new game with that Federation Force ... thing ...

Tanabe said he doesn't know what Retro is working on right now, so it could be anything with anyone. Even Sakamoto.

I have mixed feelings about that possibility.

Of course it's possible. We have no idea what Retro is working on. It could be Metroid, it could be Donkey Kong, another Nintendo IP, or a brand new IP. We simply don't have any information on the matter, and likely won't until next E3, or whenever Nintendo decides to talk about the NX.

Tanabe said he doesn't know what Retro is working on right now, so it could be anything with anyone. Even Sakamoto.

I have mixed feelings about that possibility.

Of course he knows what they're working on. He's pretty high up the ladder at Nintendo and has worked with them on every game they've made. He's also straight up lied before and said there were no plans to make a sequel to Returns. I would actually LOVE if Retro were to work on a Metroid together with Sakamoto, but I don't think Sakamoto's ego would allow it to happen.

Jetman

Sooo, Nintendo Does care about the Metroid lineage? This is good.

And I guess I'm one of the scant few who didn't utterly hate LoS or MoF. Even saying that, I'm glad Mercury Steam isn't doing this. They aren't of the calibur to handle Metroid, especially after all of the shake-ups in staffing over LoS2 issues.

Really? You think Sakamoto did that badly with her in the games aside from Other M he worked on? I don't recall people complaining about her characterization prior but I guess if it was a chonic issue from when he got creative control with Super Metroid on I guess I can understand the anger toward him.

All this time I though people were upset over one game rather than all his work on the series.
Now that's what I call false equivalence. That's because he never fleshed her out before Other M! The one game he decides to focus on story and give her a defined personality and spoken dialogue for the first time it's a fucking mess and a complete betrayal. I'm upset with Sakamoto over this game's story and gameplay because he obviously can't design a competent modern 3D Metroid to save his life and there's only so much his past glory with 1994's Super Metroid can take you.

Why do people insist Other M ruined the Metroid franchise?

Sidescrolling Metroid was doomed anyway because metroidvania is deader than 2D platformers. The structure itself is not acceptable anymore, even Iga was experimenting with his last two Castlevanias with ideas that streamline the level design. There was still a castle type level for tradition but other than that the progression was linear, sort of level based with backtracking elements instead of this one big interconnected world. In other words casuals would get lost and loose interest.

That leaves us with 3D home console Metroid. It's simply too expensive to make it for a niche audience. Hence Other M, this game was supposed to be a typical AAA high paced action title to reach non Metroid fans, they just slapped the universe onto it. It failed to meet the sales expectations and that was the end of it.
Other M murdered the Metroid franchise (and I shall continue to say it did until Nintendo announces a new mainline Metroid) and that's just a fact for now.

And make no mistake: Other M sold poorly not because it was a niche product. It sold poorly because it was a bad game. Remember this was on the massively successful Wii that made Prime 3 a success. End of story.

Regarding the bolded, I could see them calling up Bamco again to make a Metroid game, with that being developed by the Soul's team (once work on Bloodborn DLC and Dark Souls 3 is complete). They can make some very haunting locations, the core gameplay of Souls could be adjusted to better accommodate the Metroid IP (faster movement, upgrade system, ect) and the level design could be bigger then past Soul's games (to encourage exploration and finding new items.

The Souls team might be a better fit with the Zelda IP but I could see them working on Metroid if they adjust a few things here and there to the Souls formula.....
This would be amazing and would also guarantee a return to the plot mostly being told to you via the environment and gameplay cues rather than horribly written and dub'd cutscenes.

Only thing I'd be paranoid about is the game focusing more on precise combat and less on environment traversal if the Soul's team ever got the chance to work on a big Metroid game.

Now that's what I call false equivalence. That's because he never fleshed her out before Other M! The one game he decides to focus on story and give her a defined personality and spoken dialogue for the first time it's a fucking mess and a complete betrayal. I'm upset with Sakamoto over this game's story and gameplay because he obviously can't design a competent modern 3D Metroid to save his life and there's only so much his past glory with 1994's Super Metroid can take you.

Other M murdered the Metroid franchise (and I shall continue to say it did until Nintendo announces a new mainline Metroid) and that's just a fact for now.

And make no mistake: Other M sold poorly not because it was a niche product. It sold poorly because it was a bad game. Remember this was on the massively successful Wii that made Prime 3 a success. End of story.

You sound like a whiney child. And no, Other M was not the first time he gave Samus dialogue. Ever read the Manga? Ever play Fusion? Her behavior in Other M shouldn't be surprising if you have. Oh, and he didn't even want the game to be 3D. It was Team Ninja who wanted that, and they failed. Hayashi was gameplay director so it was his failure on that front. And Prime 3, and I'll add Echoes as well, as incredible as they were, barely managed a million copies apiece.

Other M sucking had A LOT to do with Team Ninja. Sakamoto's biggest mistake in my opinion was thinking they were a good fit for the job.

This would be amazing and would also guarantee a return to the plot mostly being told to you via the environment and gameplay cues rather than horribly written and dub'd cutscenes.

Only thing I'd be paranoid about is the game focusing more on precise combat and less on environment traversal if the Soul's team ever got the chance to work on a big Metroid game.

Well, world building is near the top of most important aspects of Metroid, but I also question whether the Souls team would be a good fit for Metroid. In terms of level design and mechanics, Souls and Metroid could not be further apart. Souls levels, while they have interesting layouts, are there simply to traverse from encounter to encounter. There are a few gimmick levels here and there, but in general they are very static. Metroid games have a whole heap of various mechanics that the level design must work in conjunction with... It's far more interactive. They are an obstacle themselves in which the player must overcome. I'm not saying they couldn't do it, but I absolutely do not want the next Metroid game to be a Souls game with a Metroid skin.

The only logical thing to do is give it back to Retro.

also man am I sick of the "LoS isn't real Castlevania, they ruined it" bridgade, oh boy.

You too, hmm? It's like these guys think it was always SOTN or something.

The guys behind MercurySteam have done good work before, not sure they've done much in the first-person realm though. I'd be interested in seeing how it turns out if they can get some take on the idea greenlit though. LOS2 was still a lot better than most seem willing to admit.

It's a massive improvement over LOS1 in numerous ways, particularly combat, performance, and even art in a lot of places. Its issues lie with a plot-hole riddled story, some technical issues (weird scaling, too frequent loading), some half-baked puzzles, and environments that waver between awful (most of the Arts District) and amazing (the rest of the Arts District). The technical issues could have been resolved by porting it to next-gen systems and the stealth sections could have been fixed by someone telling Alvarez no.

Missed opportunity, but it has some of the highest highs of any game I've played.

Did you play the PS2 game "Castlevania - Lament of Innocence", just called "Castlevania" in Europe, for whatever reason? That game has some interesting similarities to LoS. :)

Spoiler for LoS, if you played LoS 2, it's not really a Spoiler.
In both games, a human turns vampire and becomes Dracula, in LoI it's Mathias Cronqvist, in LoS it's Gabriel Belmont, but according to the lore of the game he is the bastard child of some Lord Cronqvist. Think of it as a reimaging of the LoI story!

It's never stated explicitly, just implied and the series makes homages to other entries in the franchise throughout, whether we're talking Gandolfini or certain ill-advised SOTN quotes.

Dremark

Banned

I wasn't the one who claimed false equivalence, nor did I really claim anyway was equal.

If her character wasn't defined prior how is her portrayal in Other M a betrayal?

Sakamoto didn't just work on Super Metroid, he's worked on all of the mainline games in the series except for 2 and Prime (If those count as mainline, and I think he oversaw them but that's probably hands off enough his involvement was minimal).

Unless I'm mistaken he's made one attempt at a modern 3D Metroid game and he's made one game people had an issue with the characterization on and those were both the same game. I do not understand why screwing up on one single game means he's unsuited to the series when the rest of his output doesn't seem to have any major issues with it.

Orayn

They rebooted the entire series and went with a largely different play style so I'm not sure why you'd think it'd be limited to SoTN or people that started with that game.

SotN also practically rebooted the series with some pretty big gameplay changes. Some people who started with it are ignorant of the decade of fairly different Castlevania games that came before it.

mStudios

I wonder if some of the "metroid fans" have really played every game of the franchise.

It's like the endless debate where Nintendo Power pulled info out if their asses stating that Samus was 6'3/200, when this information is false.

The creator "fucks up" by hiring team ninja and suddenly he's not capable of making another metroid game.

The guy who created literally the perfect game doesn't deserve another chance.

I'm glad that Nintendo literally doesn't listen to their fan when designing games. (except for the Zelda franchise and look the fans are never happy)

Bloodrage

Banned
Lords of Shadow was fantastic, but that had little to do with any Metroidvania elements. And it does look like a good deal of the talent has left after the LoS2 fiasco.

Wouldn't mind Oscar Araujo taking a swing a Metroid/new IP equivalent music though, he's one of the best in the business.

also man am I sick of the "LoS isn't real Castlevania, they ruined it" bridgade, oh boy.
"Looks too western! Not Japanese enough!"

What a crock of shit. Definitely the best 3D Castlevania ever made. My only issue with the game was the weird fixed camera. But I loved the story and combat. Bosses were some of the best last gen, and Gabriel was a great protagonist you could actually feel a connection with.

MercurySteam haters never really made any sense to me in regards to Lords of Shadow though, so whatever.

Foffy

Banned
Well, dodged a bullet there. I'd rather have another Retro-developed Metroid, thanks. All three LoS games were kinda shit in their own way, and the studio has apparently imploded due to the LoS2 catastrophe.

At least Aria made it subtle. I saw the twist coming the moment the LoS trailers portrayed Gabriel as being morally questionable. Soma never had that much character, but at least he handled the whole Dracula thing (in both the endings where he does and doesn't become Dracula) way better than Gabriel ever did.

Speaking of Soma, I actually wrote up an idea for a third Sorrow game at one point where Soma and Mina's school/college gets encased in a magic dome, monsters start coming out of the woodwork, and several students have suddenly gotten super-powers along with going crazy, forcing Soma and Mina to team up with some friends (all of them playable) to basically figure out what the hell is going on. Maybe I should revisit that at some point.

Fun fact: there is a third Sorrow entry.
It's a novel.

bon

Woo boy if you thought Other M ruined Metroid I'd hate to see you react to whatever the hell Mercury Steam was coming up with. If you want to see a true murder of a classic series look no further than the Lords of Shadow trilogy.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I bet Mercury Steam could make a good Metroid game tbh. I liked Lords of Shadow. 2 was apparently a rushed piece of trash, but if they worked with a hands on company like Nintendo I'm sure they'd be able to work together and release a fantastic game.

It's not like any of the games Retro were working on before Metroid Prime looked any good at all

Dremark

Banned
SotN also practically rebooted the series with some pretty big gameplay changes. Some people who started with it are ignorant of the decade of fairly different Castlevania games that came before it.

SoTN controlled very much like the previous games in the series and it expanded on existing gameplay concepts in the MSX CV game and Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest. It was also firmly rooted in the continuity of the previous games in the series.

The game took the series in a different direction but it wasn't a reboot in anyway.

There are a lot of people who have never touched a game before it though (Or after it in a lot of cases) due to it's (In my opinion unjustified) reputation as the best game in the series.

Of course he knows what they're working on. He's pretty high up the ladder at Nintendo and has worked with them on every game they've made. He's also straight up lied before and said there were no plans to make a sequel to Returns. I would actually LOVE if Retro were to work on a Metroid together with Sakamoto, but I don't think Sakamoto's ego would allow it to happen.

Tamaki has implied that Tanabe had some kind of falling out with Retro. Wonder if there's any merit to it.

120v

i wasn't a fan of LoS but that really stems from it being not-castlevania more than anything. divorced from that it was a decent game

i think they deserved a shot at metroid. probably would've been preferable to what we got instead, which is nothing. but i guess Other M kind of soured them on outsourcing, and maybe that's rightfully so

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Super Metroid murdered it too I guess, nearly a decade between it and Fusion

LOS2 was still a lot better than most seem willing to admit.

It's a massive improvement over LOS1 in numerous ways, particularly combat, performance, and even art in a lot of places.

I thought it was very good in places, just like the first one. In particular, boss battles were REALLY well done. The best of last year even, exceeding the great Bayonetta 2 in that regard. Of course, the action isn't nearly as smooth as B2, but the design of the fights themselves were great.

I wonder if some of the "metroid fans" have really played every game of the franchise.

It's like the endless debate where Nintendo Power pulled info out if their asses stating that Samus was 6'3/200, when this information is false.

The creator "fucks up" by hiring team ninja and suddenly he's not capable of making another metroid game.

The guy who created literally the perfect game doesn't deserve another chance.

I'm glad that Nintendo literally doesn't listen to their fan when designing games. (except for the Zelda franchise and look the fans are never happy)

People just want someone to be angry at for it. Sakamoto was in charge of the project, so it's him who gets the blame, even though it was much Team Ninja who handled the bulk of the actual game design, including their leader Hayashi, who was the gameplay director (who then went on to make the equally shitty Ninja Gaiden 3). But yeah, it's weird how they never want him to touch the series again when 80% of the Metroid games hes directed have ranged from great to fantastic.

Lijik

I think people are discounting the Nintendo factor if this actually happened. The difference in quality between Next Level's work with Nintendo and their licensed games is pretty immense for instance.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I don't like to bump old threads but I'm going to bump this just because it's somewhat relevant. I KNEW I remembered something like this from a few years ago. Wonder if this turned into Samus Returns?

13ruce

Banned
Okay fuck Konami 100% now.
Kojima's help saved LOS 1 kinda, rest was crap. If supervised i am sure theycan make great metroid games and samus returns will be proof or a denial when it's out.

RagnarokX

Well, at least the learned their lesson from Other M.

Sakamoto: "I want you guys to make a new classic 2D Metroid game!"

Team Ninja: "We want to make it 3D."

Sakamoto: "No."

Team Ninja: "Pleeeeaaaase!"

Sakamoto: "Okay fine whatever!"

--------------------------

Mercury Steam: "We want to make a 3D Metroid ga-"

Sakamoto: "2D."

Top Bottom