• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MercurySteam teases new game

So Spain-based studio MercurySteam, known for making the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow trilogy (I still think the first one was a great game and a solid 9.0 in my book) just updated their website. There's some dude looking at some gadgets with a Matrix-like green filter and the words "expect news soon".

How soon is soon, GAF? What do you think? I'd it the rumored Contra reboot? Does Konami give a shit anymore?

Force me into an awkward stealth section if old.

http://www.mercurysteam.com

hal9001

Banned
LOS1 was one of the best games last gen. Unfortunately they took a step back with LOS2. Hopefully they can bring on a new game having learned their lesson.

I enjoyed the entire LoS trilogy even if they were all flawed in some really common sense issues (dodges don't have any i-frames, etc)

I'm pretty interested in what they're doing next.

I disagree but i respect your opinion :)

The perfect free camera was VERY welcome. Personally i would rate LoS 1: 8.5 and LoS 2: 9.5

Summary: Loved them both
For every thing they improved from LoS1 they fucked up two. But yes, the free camera was a welcome addition. The mess of incoherent story in the sequel was not. But we'll agree to disagree.

jonno394

I want the device to be some sort of dimension hopper and the main character is exploring different dimensions.

Cool art and music, looking forward to hearing more.

Sanctuary

LoS 2 was awesome, can´t wait to see what they do next.

Except for the boring city parts. I didn't find the game to be as bad as much of the internet hyperbole insisted it was, but the first game was better in most ways. Although I did like the special abilities more in the second.

For every thing they improved from LoS1 they fucked up two. But yes, the free camera was a welcome addition. The mess of incoherent story in the sequel was not. But we'll agree to disagree.

Uh, yeah okay. Docking the game massive points just for the story is kind of ridiculous since it was an action adventure game first and foremost, with an emphasis on exploration and combat. The story may have mattered, but it wasn't what made or broke the game.

RyoonZ

Banned
I downloaded the video from the site and it gives me this image

ttvZT1d.jpg

RyoonZ

Banned
The website has the same image.

Oh? I disabled flash so it didn't showed image lol, and I clicked the I+D+I at the bottom right and redirected to a page showing this

Con la financiación del Ministerio de Industria, Energía y Turismo dentro del Plan Nacional de Investigación Científica, Desarrollo e Innovación Tecnológica 2003-2016
- Expediente TSI-100900-2014-080:
Desarrollo videojuego multigénero para nuevas plataformas: Aleph ​
​- Expediente TSI-100900-2014-058:
Naked

Google translate say

With funding from the Ministry of Industry, Energy and Tourism within the National Plan for Scientific Research, Development and Technological Innovation 2003-2016
- Record TSI-100900-2014-080:
Multi-genre game development for new platforms: Aleph
- Record TSI-100900-2014-058:
Naked

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I loved LoS1, I even thought it was better than GoW3 in some ways (it felt more like a grand, epic journey for one). Didn't play LoS2 due to the negative feedback it got, but I'm eager to see what they do next.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why are they teasing it? Just because it is new? Bullying is a big problem in our culture.

Jawmuncher

I don't think LoS2 was bad, just confused on what it wanted to be. Had the game been just the castle in old times it would have worked.

Corpekata

Banned
Dunno if the image is meant to be taken too literally as their next game. "Discovering new heroes" and whatnot sounds like they're exploring some options.

I love MercurySteam, Castlevania Lords of Shadow Saga is one of my all time favorite games, both LoS.1 and LoS.2 are pretty damn awesome, and Dracul just steals the show.

I downloaded the video from the site and it gives me this image

ttvZT1d.jpg
hmmmm interesting, I was hoping for something Vampire related, but we will see what this is all about, this is screaming Contra to me, probably they were developing it for Konami and then Konami pulled the plug, and now they will be doing it under a different name.

Kifimbo

Oh? I disabled flash so it didn't showed image lol, and I clicked the I+D+I at the bottom right and redirected to a page showing this

Google translate say

With funding from the Ministry of Industry, Energy and Tourism within the National Plan for Scientific Research, Development and Technological Innovation 2003-2016
- Record TSI-100900-2014-080:
Multi-genre game development for new platforms: Aleph
- Record TSI-100900-2014-058:
Naked

With these two records, I found this PDF: http://www.minetur.gob.es/PortalAyu...nts/Listado_PropuestaProvisionalConcesion.pdf

It's either called Aleph or Naked. With the picture above, I'd say Aleph is more likely.

If Google translate is correct, For Aleph, they got a grant of 466.018,02 and a loan of 4.194.162,18.
For Naked, it's a grant of 362.658,22 and a loan of 3.263.923,98.

There is also a Tequila Works game in there, but it doesn't have a name.

And all this is old, apparently: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=898523

Sanctuary

Kazuhira

I hope they fired that asshole of Enric Alvarez,he was the main reason that the development of LOS2 was such a mess.
I think the studio has great potential and they deserve a a second chance.

faridmon

I thought they folded after the Castlevania 2 fiasco.
Good to see the team intact although I will hate it if that asshole dude is still there!

Corpsepyre

Banned
Hoping this delivers. The studio has so much talent. Was a shame they fucked the last Castlevania, but I believe the production wasn't handled properly there.

Lords of shadow trilogy? Didn't even know there was a third. Liked 1 but heard 2 was dirt.
Looking forward to learning whatever this may be though.

WarpathDC

Mirror of fate and Los 2 were kind of meh but LoS one was great. Jericho sucked. In all, their track record is mediocre at best IMO so I'm not that excited. It does seem like the guy in the pic would fit a contra universe.

oh and fuck Konami (obligatory)

Top Bottom