• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MercurySteam teases new game

Corpsepyre

Banned
Hmm, I doubt they're working on a Konami-owned property then if they're not owned by the publisher.

That Metroid rumour up there is interesting.

JaseMath

Contra?

Seems like Contra would be a good fit. The artwork has a Contra-esque character and a Geiger vibe, it's a Konami property (as was Castlevania), and I'd certainly call it a famous IP.

goldenpp72

Would be kind of shocking if it was Konami related considering everything, but the little art design there looks cool. I considered LOS a flawed game but very good in some areas, but their other output has been sketchy, but hear's hoping they can get a cool project out as i'd keep my eyes on it.

RPGCrazied

Hmm, I doubt they're working on a Konami-owned property then if they're not owned by the publisher.

That Metroid rumour up there is interesting.

Well, they were working on a prototype. Maybe after all the bad backlash federation force is getting they gave them a go ahead to make it.

Korigama

I'd love to know who came up with that brilliant speech during the last boss.

Shit was crazy.
Etsu Tamari wrote MGR, but it was 8-4 who localized it.

Either way, I'd say Kojima not being the one to write the game was one of the main things to benefit it (as grateful as I am to him for making the game happen in the first place by picking Platinum to develop it).

Hmmm googling "Aleph" I've found the sci-fi miniature game called Infinity by Corvus Belli: http://www.infinitythegame.com/faction_ALE.php (it seems that Aleph it's a faction).

Both Corvus Belli and Mercury Steam are from Spain and also looking at Linkedin it seems that a previous concept artist from Mercury Steam is now working at Corvus Belli.

Who knows maybe it's just a coincidence... :p

GnawtyDog

Banned
I thought the Contra reboot rumour coming from Mercury Steam was shot down?

Better to not expect anything, so I don't end up being disappointed.

Fbh

I was really looking forward to playing more stuff by this studio after the first Lords of Shadows.

But the 2 ones they made after that were so dissapointing that I can't get hyped about their next project

Corpsepyre

Banned
I REALLY want this to be a third person action adventure title, and a GOOD one too for that matter. Something like Lords of Shadow, with a fucktonne of adventure, set in a period, and with killer cool boss fights.

scitek

I played through LoS2 a few weeks ago finally and actually liked it. The stealth sections could've been cut, but that aside, it was a decent time. I'll look into this.

IIRC, didn't this company have a crazy tell-all article where former employees spilled the beans on how terrible the management and working conditions were? I'd not heard about them since that article.

Arkeband

Banned
IIRC, didn't this company have a crazy tell-all article where former employees spilled the beans on how terrible the management and working conditions were? I'd not heard about them since that article.

Yeah, their CEO is apparently a narcissistic egomaniac who supposedly drove all of the talent out of the company halfway through LoS2, leading to what we ended up with.

DangerMan

Banned
Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate on a New 3DS running NTR CFW (allows games normally locked to old 3ds clock rates to run at new 3ds clock rates) at max 3d is really incredible. MercurySteam seem like pretty technically impressive developers actually, I'd argue they made the best looking 3ds game (beating out Resident Evil Revelations and IronFall).

Glix

Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate on a New 3DS running NTR CFW (allows games normally locked to old 3ds clock rates to run at new 3ds clock rates) at max 3d is really incredible. MercurySteam seem like pretty technically impressive developers actually, I'd argue they made the best looking 3ds game (beating out Resident Evil Revelations and IronFall).

Really frustrating devs dont/cant patch this stuff in officially :-(

DangerMan

Banned
Really frustrating devs dont/cant patch this stuff in officially :-(

It is definitely not that they can't patch it in, NTR CFW is a softmod for the 3ds, anything possible through a softmod should also be possible through an official software update. Konami probably just didn't want to pay for a patch to get made...

EDIT: Really Nintendo needs to officially add an option to boot old 3ds games at new 3ds clock speeds without a game by game patch being needed. Something like going into system settings and having an option under an advanced tab which allows users to boot games old 3ds games at new 3ds clock speeds by booting them up holding start and select or something...

GeoGonzo

Looks like tomorrow will announce the game.

Originally Posted by Mercury Steam
Thanks for following our history. Tomorrow a new future begins to dawn #mercurystory #countdown

Tweet

Is it just me or does that sound kind of ominous? Like if they were about to announce a rebranding of the studio, or shifting to something new (mobile games?).

I downloaded the video from the site and it gives me this image

ttvZT1d.jpg

That....looks a lot like Contra, and I really hope it is.

Still wish this were Lords of Shadow 3, but I realize development on the second game was a huge annoyance for everyone and, well, Konami.

tolkir

Is it just me or does that sound kind of ominous? Like if they were about to announce a rebranding of the studio, or shifting to something new (mobile games?).

Their last tweets has been remembering their games developed and they said that would announce their projects soon several times.
It could be bait, yep.

I wanted los3, but I'll probaly like this.

I think i'm the only one who liked Jerico, so I kinda have faith in them. Since I love 2 out of 3 of the Lords of Shadows series (1 and 2) I'm moderatley excited.

They have the best artists in gaming though, so there's reason to be excited.

rhandino

Banned
They have the best artists in gaming though, so there's reason to be excited.
To be fair the Art Director that worked with them during Lord of Shadows left and, apparently, went to work at Tequila (the RiME developers) and they also suffered a lot of talent bleeding during the messy development of Lords of Shadows 2 which ended up with the game have a VERY inconsistent art with some areas being absolutely gorgeous and a lot of them being horrid trash.

To be fair the Art Director that worked with them during Lord of Shadows left and, apparently, went to work at Tequila (the RiME developers) and they also suffered a lot of talent bleeding during the messy development of Lords of Shadows 2 which ended up with the game have a VERY inconsistent art with some areas being absolutely gorgeous and a lot of them being horrid trash.
:( Are you serious?

No more of this?
dracula-dragon-500-610.jpg

S9zA5D7.jpg

What the heck? The art MADE the games. One of the reason i'm so forgiving of LOS2, is how stellar, and awesome the gothic style is. Atmosphere is mostly top notch. They got rid of the artist?! That's stupid!!!

Top Bottom