• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Nymphae

Banned
Random tangent because I don't know where else to put it.

Anyone ever heard the song by Bruce COCKBURN "If I had a rocket launcher"? I heard this while out walking at lunch, and the lyrics made me laugh:

Here comes the helicopter -- second time today
Everybody scatters and hopes it goes away
How many kids they've murdered only God can say
If I had a rocket launcher...I'd make somebody pay

I don't believe in guarded borders and I don't believe in hate
I don't believe in generals or their stinking torture states
And when I talk with the survivors of things too sickening to relate
If I had a rocket launcher...I would retaliate

On the Rio Lacantun, one hundred thousand wait
To fall down from starvation -- or some less humane fate
Cry for guatemala, with a corpse in every gate
If I had a rocket launcher...I would not hesitate

I want to raise every voice -- at least I've got to try
Every time I think about it water rises to my eyes.
Situation desperate, echoes of the victims cry
If I had a rocket launcher...Some son of a bitch would die

Basically, he's like hey man I don't believe in borders or hate (lol) and generals and torture and all that.... I want to raise EVERY voice, but god damn if I had a weapon that could kill all these motherfuckers I wouldn't hesitate.

Papa

Banned
I'll go with my favorites by different genres:

Skies of Arcadia Legends (Turn-based RPG)
Jade Empire (Action RPG)
Sleeping Dogs (Action, Open World)
Half-Life: Source (Shooter)
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition (Stealth)
XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Strategy)
Resident Evil 2 (Survival Horror)
MotorStorm: Pacific Rift (Racing)
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (Platformer)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (Sports)
Sonic Adventure (Sonic)

My go-to genre is probably shooters though, since I've been playing on PC in recent years, games like Half-Life, Max Payne and Counter-Strike are good immediate fun.

d’ye like sleeping dags

Nymphae

Banned
I like the forearm shake

Ljs8rlt.jpg

-Arcadia-

Banned
another halo, another gears, another forza, another ass creed, another cod, another dark souls, some more remakes, some more remasters. sorry for spoiling everything :messenger_pensive:

It’s so true.

I don’t really do ‘AAA’ gaming anymore because of this. Smaller or more unexpected games are where the creativity and fun is at.

Watching Pewds play Subnautica atm, and while I am super late to the party on that, that’s a good example of what I’m talking about.

Mista

Banned
Nah I’m sorry this is rubbish and I got bored of the same broken record “I don’t do AAA anymore because they’re the same”

I understand if someone doesn’t like them much but I can also list plenty of AAA that aren’t the same and all new also.

So no, it isn’t just “another halo, gears, cod..etc”

Nymphae

Banned
I don’t really do ‘AAA’ gaming anymore because of this. Smaller or more unexpected games are where the creativity and fun is at.

Doom says suck my boomstick after I launch at you with my supershotgun mounted meathook then freeze you with an icebomb and toss two grenades at your feet before dashing out only to come back at you again with the meathhook just as the grenades have finished exploding to finish with a glory kill.

brap

Banned
Nah I’m sorry this is rubbish and I got bored of the same broken record “I don’t do AAA anymore because they’re the same”

I understand if someone doesn’t like them much but I can also list plenty of AAA that aren’t the same and all new also.

ok

-Arcadia-

Banned
In any case, it'll be great to talk about actual new games for a change instead of the SSD and teraflops.

Absolutely. Looking at the front page, they’re starting to get it out of their systems, and it could not be a moment too soon, lol. It was fun at first, but my eyes were just glazing over after the 500th slight rewording of the same thing.

If you’re enjoying yourself, I’m nothing but happy for you, but the current AAA market feels like a perversion of what gaming is supposed to be.

It’s modern Hollywood, in terms of shallowness and quality (and I guess now, wokeness), but for controllers.

Death Stranding really slapped me across the face with that last year. I hadn’t seen that kind of originality in AAA gaming in forever.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Doom says suck my boomstick after I launch at you with my supershotgun mounted meathook then freeze you with an icebomb and toss two grenades at your feet before dashing out only to come back at you again with the meathhook just as the grenades have finished exploding to finish with a glory kill.

Doom is an amazing exception, I agree. It’s hardly the rule, though.

brap

Banned
Nu Doom is so slow and cringe. Only appeals to boomers that just like it because it's Doom. Also yet another Doom game lmao. Very original.

Mista

Banned
If you’re enjoying yourself, I’m nothing but happy for you, but the current AAA market feels like a perversion of what gaming is supposed to be.

It’s modern Hollywood, in terms of shallowness and quality (and I guess now, wokeness), but for controllers.

Death Stranding really slapped me across the face with that last year. I hadn’t seen that kind of originality in AAA gaming in forever.
And here I am 100% with you. This is true, we’ve been losing originality with each year

-Arcadia-

Banned
Is it the rule for indies?

Your gotcha is going to fail.

I don’t like them either. Almost everything is a knock-off of old-school games that did it better. If I see something described as a Metroidvania one more time...

There’s a nice space inbetween creatively bereft indie games, and creatively bereft AAA games, where I prefer to spend my time.

brap

Banned

I don’t like them either. Almost everything is a knock-off of old-school games that did it better. If I see something described as a Metroidvania one more time...

There’s a nice space inbetween creatively bereft indie games, and creatively bereft AAA games, where I prefer to spend my time.
*clears throat*
2DEE, ROUGLIKE/LITE, SIDESCROLLING, PIXELSHIT, METROIDVANIA WITH RPG ELEMENTS

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned

I'm just saying gems come in all grades of As and are few and far between, no point in saying you're counting out AAA as a category, or that creativity and fun are not to be found there.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I'm just saying gems come in all grades of As and are few and far between, no point in saying you're counting out AAA as a category, or that creativity and fun are not to be found there.

Much fewer than there used to be. Compare 90s and 2000s AAA gaming to current AAA gaming, for example.

Just pulling a random year, like 1998, leads to an absolute slaughter of what we have now.

The mainstream started dictating what kind of products were made at that level, and as in every format that happens in (movies, music) it hasn’t been the same since.

brap

Banned
Much fewer than there used to be. Compare 90s and 2000s AAA gaming to current AAA gaming, for example.

Just pulling a random year, like 1998, leads to an absolute slaughter of what we have now.

The mainstream started dictating what kind of products were made at that level, and as in every format that happens in (movies, music) it hasn’t been the same since.
More AAA games in this one image from one QUARTER of one year worth playing than the entirety of this gen.
28590845283_9bd5d77b7d_b.jpg

Now I know people are gonna go b-but Doom, b-but the third Witcher game, b-but the movie games!! Lol no. Name 10 AAA games this gen worth playing. I'll wait.

Barsinister

Banned
I think the definition of “game” has become way too broad. What comes to mind first when you hear the word game?

Story?
Themes?
Controls?
Win and lose states?
Mechanics?

-Arcadia-

Banned
More AAA games in this one image from one QUARTER of one year worth playing than the entirety of this gen.
28590845283_9bd5d77b7d_b.jpg

Now I know people are gonna go b-but Doom, b-but the third Witcher game, b-but the movie games!! Lol no. Name 10 AAA games this gen worth playing. I'll wait.

:messenger_hushed: That is the AAA gaming I miss. That’s not even counting Halo (when it was new and good), and the GameCube launch.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think the definition of “game” has become way too broad. What comes to mind first when you hear the word game?

Story?
Themes?
Controls?
Win and lose states?
Mechanics?

Mechanics (I’d put controls together with this). If it isn’t fun, nothing else matters.

That’s half the problem with AAA gaming today. I adore good production value, but so many of these games are all flash and no substance when you sit down to actually play them outside of a trailer.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, you used to be able to be entertained by Jumpman (some people still are) I think you just got old.

Nymphae

Banned
I'm not arguing that there aren't less great AAA games, I just took issue with the point that "smaller or more unexpected games are where the creativity and fun is at.", which might be true depending on your specific tastes, but let's not forget that AAA games are still fucking amazing from time to time and you're never getting some of these experiences with a small team/budget title. I can look at my shelf and see a ton of creativity and fun in the AAA space. Just looking at my shelf now I'd say

Last Guardian, Spider-Man, RDR2, Doom/Doom Eternal, Bloodborne, Resident Evil 7, Granblue Versus, DBFZ, GGXRD, SFV(I mean is there even a decent budget fighting game yet?)

That's like one of the biggest "random" years you could have pulled. Would I like more AAA? Sure. My point is when AAA rocks it rocks harder than anything.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Last Guardian, Spider-Man, RDR2, Doom/Doom Eternal, Bloodborne, Resident Evil 7, Granblue Versus, DBFZ, GGXRD, SFV(I mean is there even a decent budget fighting game yet?)
Last Guardian is pretentious garbage
Spider Man is more garbage open world bullshit
RDR 2 is more garbage open world bullshit but with more cutscenes and shittier slower controls
Doom is for boomers with shit reflexes
Bloodborne is Dark Souls without shields
RE 7 decided to do first person indie horror years after everybody got sick of it
Random japanese fighting games aren't AAA. It's been the same shit for years anyway. If you're aren't super autistic into fighting games they all play the same.

Bro just replay New Vegas again
Oh yeah that reminds about the dumbed down shitshow that was FO4. Glad they make games for literal retards now. Can't wait to see how much worse Elder Scrolls 6 is!!!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Bloodborne is Dark Souls without shields
If you're aren't super autistic into fighting games they all play the same.

ZYL9C1E.gif

Oh yeah that reminds about the dumbed down shitshow that was FO4. Glad they make games for literal retards now. Can't wait to see how much worse Elder Scrolls 6 is!!!
I love Fallout 4 and 76! Skyrim sold more than any RPG ever! Hail Todd!

-Arcadia-

Banned
That's like one of the biggest "random" years you could have pulled.

Could have pulled 2001. Or 2004. Or 2002. As a few examples. Amazing batches of AAA games were pretty frequent back then.

I don’t think we see eye to eye on this one, and that’s fine. I’m not the kind of person that wants to drag others into shared misery, so if you’re having fun, like I said earlier with Mista, that makes me happy.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
How is SFIV different than SFV? How is Guilty Gear XxX Rezerxzin different than Guilty Gear Buttfuck Paradise? Oh wait I don't care it's the same shit.
I thought you were saying all fighting games play the same. They don't. SF plays nothing like Tekken, Soul Calibur or UNIST. Might as well say Halo 2 plays like Titanfall. Or that Need for Speed plays like Gran Turismo.

brap

Banned
Look, as long as I get a new From game every 2 years I’m happy
Don't worry you'll get your endless Dark Souls sequels.

I thought you were saying all fighting games play the same. They don't. SF plays nothing like Tekken, Soul Calibur or UNIST. Might as well say Halo 2 plays like Titanfall. Or that Need for Speed plays like Gran Turismo.
I wasn't. Learn2read burger-kun.

Top Bottom