• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

J-Roderton

JK
I didn't post Tuesday. The Nationals went on a win streak. I can't change what I am doing until the end of the win streak. So I couldn't post until that streak ends.

giphy.gif

Nymphae

Banned
Protip for those who want the User Following achievement without seeming like a weirdo - just follow some people from the ban list until you get it. lol just kidding a bit, but I thought it was weird getting notifications saying people were following me here.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Is it me or is it much more difficult to write a proper thread when using mobile? I have several thread ideas but too lazy to make them on my phone. Too lazy fo open my laptop too!

Yeah but for me that's just because typing on a phone will always be inferior to typing with a decent sized keyboard with added mouse functionality. I'm not a total moron, and I've been using smartphones for quite some time now, and I still spend a ridiculous amount of time correcting errors and autocorrects. I find it so fucking frustrating to try and put the cursor in a specific location sometimes.

Yeah but for me that's just because typing on a phone will always be inferior to typing with a decent sized keyboard with added mouse functionality. I'm not a total moron, and I've been using smartphones for quite some time now, and I still spend a ridiculous amount of time correcting errors and autocorrects. I find it so fucking frustrating to try and put the cursor in a specific location sometimes.
I remember it took me an entire hour to write this thread using a computer. I still feel like it should've been more fleshed out in terms of word count from the amount of writing that I put into it.

I can't imagine how long it would've took to write it on my phone.

greyshark

It’s all started by the same poster. Either he’ll get bored of it and stop soon or I imagine the mods will start locking them.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
This week will have incoming Era apologists coming here to try and shutdown any discussion about their screw-up on Etika's suicide.

More info:

I'm clearly out of the loop. Tbh I stopped looking in that thread ages ago - it's healthy to stay out of it.

Nymphae

Banned
You now have an official supporter. I've seen it on another forum and it works well. No idea how troublesome it would be to implement here, though.

I forgot that I had actually made a thread specifically about that

So I was wrong lol, several people said they would use it. And as I mentioned, I don't think there would be many downsides to this, if any. But yeah it didn't go anywhere.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Know what would, quite literally, roooooooolll? An ignore thread option. I know the subject has been broached before, did we ever any get any feedback / a consensus / rejected with extreme prejudice?

I've been asking for that for a while now, and I don't think one person here has backed the idea.

I forgot that I had actually made a thread specifically about that

So I was wrong lol, several people said they would use it. And as I mentioned, I don't think there would be many downsides to this, if any. But yeah it didn't go anywhere.

I'd love an ignore thread option. Used it a lot on Era before having my account deleted as I realized it was impossible to ignore enough of the shitty members and topics there to make that place bearable. I'd use it less here, but still would be great for reducing clutter of crap I don't care about on the gaming side. I bumped that thread with my support in hopes others will chip in. It's the same software here as Era so it should be an easy thing to enable I'd think.

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
We, the mods and admins, have gone back and forth on the subject of setting up a system that would allow users to ignore individual threads.

The reason we have so far landed on the "no" side of the debate is we're worried it would foster the creation of an environment on GAF that could become very insular. We want people's ideas and viewpoints to be potentially challenged and we don't want to create a system where someone sees a new Xbox thread (or Trump thread, or boob thread, or whatever) and has the ability to instantly and permanently dismiss it and remove it from view without consideration.

Like all things, we're open to discussion on the matter.

Nymphae

Banned
I'd love an ignore thread option. Used it a lot on Era before having my account deleted as I realized it was impossible to ignore enough of the shitty members and topics there to make that place bearable. I'd use it less here, but still would be great for reducing clutter of crap I don't care about on the gaming side. I bumped that thread with my support in hopes others will chip in. It's the same software here as Era so it should be an easy thing to enable I'd think.

Yeah it makes a lot of sense to me, I think there are several benefits to it and almost no downsides.

Nymphae

Banned
We want people's ideas and viewpoints to be potentially challenged and we don't want to create a system where someone sees a new Xbox thread (or Trump thread, or boob thread, or whatever) and has the ability to instantly and permanently dismiss it and remove it from view without consideration.

Wouldn't those users just be shutting themselves out of conversations though? The community that wants to engage with each other, will. Someone just ignoring all Trump threads is doing themselves a disservice, and potentially a favour to those who want to participate in those threads in good faith.

I have entirely wanted to use it for threads in OT that I was just sick of seeing, as @mooshie78 said, I rarely browse past the first page, and if I could curate my list to have more stuff I care about on that first page, that's a good thing I think.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
We, the mods and admins, have gone back and forth on the subject of setting up a system that would allow users to ignore individual threads.

The reason we have so far landed on the "no" side of the debate is we're worried it would foster the creation of an environment on GAF that could become very insular. We want people's ideas and viewpoints to be potentially challenged and we don't want to create a system where someone sees a new Xbox thread (or Trump thread, or boob thread, or whatever) and has the ability to instantly and permanently dismiss it and remove it from view without consideration.

I don't think there's a need to worry about that. The vast majority of people are just hiding things that disinterest them to reduce clutter. Anything I hide is a thread on a topic I didn't care about and was never going to read or post in anyway. It's just hidden to let more threads I do care about rise up to the first page where I'm more likely to see them and participate in them. People that want to contribute (especially in a meaningful way) for a given topic aren't going to be the one's hiding the threads.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Wouldn't those users just be shutting themselves out of conversations though? The community that wants to engage with each other, will. Someone just ignoring all Trump threads is doing themselves a disservice, and potentially a favour those who want to participate in good faith.

I have entirely wanted to use it for threads in OT that I was just sick of seeing, as @mooshie78 said, I rarely browse past the first page, and if I could curate my list to have more stuff I acre about on that first page, that's a good thing I think.

I just don't see the point. You can easily ignore them if you want to as is. All the ignoring threads concept would do is foster an echo chamber for specific users. Something GAF does not need to become again.

Nymphae

Banned
I just don't see the point. You can easily ignore them if you want to as is. All the ignoring threads concept would do is foster an echo chamber for specific users. Something GAF does not need to become again.

Well sure, but again, it has a real benefit in bringing more threads I care about to the front page. And as I mentioned in the thread I posted, I started this line of thinking because I was really sick of seeing the "Botched Circumcision" thread at the top of OT for quite some time. I wasn't interested in participating, and didn't need to be reminded of it every time I went into that subforum. I feel like there is very little downside to letting me hide it.

I don't see how it would foster an echo chamber at all, it's simply me bowing out of topics I don't care about and letting me see more of the ones I do want to engage with.

Last edited:

I can appreciate that explanation. Here's what I've previously posted about the subject:

An ignore thread option would be nice. Every now and then, someone will make a topic about something just downright depressing that I don't want to be reminded of for a week as people keep bumping the topic. So either I have set the user to ignore for a while, or keep being reminded of something sad. Neither of those choices are ideal.

On a different note entirely, is there any page that displays all the new threads of a given fourm in the order in which they were made? I know the Discord has that option, but it would be nice to have on the website as well.

Top Bottom