• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
brap brap , wasn't a shot at you just so I'm clear. I've had a few but enough interactions with you here that I would reach out privately if I ever had a reason and would ask you to clarify something vs berating you. I'm not that passive aggressive.

Edit: Oh no, top of the page. Not where I wanted this. Have a nice country tune:

Last edited:

brap

Banned
brap brap , wasn't a shot at you just so I'm clear. I've had a few but enough interactions with you here that I would reach out privately if I ever had a reason and would ask you to clarify something vs berating you. I'm not that passive aggressive.

Edit: Oh no, top of the page. Not where I wanted this. Have a nice country tune:

It's all good. I didn't think you were hating.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This fucking forum is becoming a depressing state of affairs and

IM JUST STARTING TI LOSE IT MAN.

But in reality I tried looking at dental plans today and I am convinced that it's a scam.
Just go to a Mexican dentist and then eat some bbq iguana.

O-N-E

That Alanah Pearce thread is rough. I don't know enough about her to have an opinion. I can't say that any of her critics are off base but man...there is a need for some tact when lobbing a criticism at someone. Make sure you have good data and do so in a non-demeaning way. You won't convince anyone if you just go with a cliche.

Imagine how fucking ugly one has to be to stick up for this titless, fridge shaped, quarterback looking, oval ass head, beast of a bitch.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I've read that this is a legit thing people do to save on dentle care
You'd be surprised how much money you'll save by not submitting to the US physicians/phar reps and their tyrannical prices. Just don't get murdered!

Nymphae

Banned
Stabbing someone in the neck protecting your precious PS5 sounds so epic though.

Lol my buddy brought a huge knife with him, guess he was thinking the same thing.

The pickup process was strange at Walmart, I called the pick up number and just said my name, the guy was like I'll bring it out. Wait a few minutes and he just brings it out says here you go, I'm like do you need to see ID or anything? He goes, "sure if you're going to show me" lol

Not an amazingly secure process at the end stage, but I got it home without incident.

bronk

Banned
Lol my buddy brought a huge knife with him, guess he was thinking the same thing.

The pickup process was strange at Walmart, I called the pick up number and just said my name, the guy was like I'll bring it out. Wait a few minutes and he just brings it out says here you go, I'm like do you need to see ID or anything? He goes, "sure if you're going to show me" lol

Not an amazingly secure process at the end stage, but I got it home without incident.
I totally get you though man. I would probably do the same walking out with a monster ps5 box in a Walmart parking lot. People do shady shit for far far less.

Last edited:

O-N-E

Re: Alanah - Yeah, Western Sony games are rapidly approaching unplayable territory. Once Japan has been had, the deed is done. Lefty mission accomplished.

Will have to scrounge for the odd reasonable indie game here or there. Maybe Nintendo will be mostly fine.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Re: Alanah - Yeah, Western Sony games are rapidly approaching unplayable territory. Once Japan has been had, the deed is done. Lefty mission accomplished.

Will have to scrounge for the odd reasonable indie game here or there. Maybe Nintendo will be mostly fine.
Nintendo is bound by their hardware sadly.

rvEBF00.jpg

Mista

Banned
I get really shocked how people in US don't complain as much as they should against the expensive healthcare systems and education.
They do, we just don’t know about it. Anyone would’ve complained honestly. The healthcare system is working against the people and this is fucked up.

CalmYe

Neo Member
We have many times but the system is too hooked into the government for us to do anything.
Oh Internet only tells half of the story I suppose. Many times I see people use terms like 'Communism' to counteract certain ideas or proposals so I thought that was the majority consensus. My bad.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Oh Internet only tells half of the story I suppose. Many times I see people use terms like 'Communism' to counteract certain ideas or proposals so I thought that was the majority consensus. My bad.

Most people that scream communism are being ridiculous or are uneducated on the matter. But that's just my opinion.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That Alanah Pearce thread is rough. I don't know enough about her to have an opinion. I can't say that any of her critics are off base but man...there is a need for some tact when lobbing a criticism at someone. Make sure you have good data and do so in a non-demeaning way. You won't convince anyone if you just go with a cliche.

Does cancel culture work preemptively too?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief

Does cancel culture work preemptively too?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It does and that is why I don't subscribe to that sort of reasoning. Nobody should be shamed and lose their careers for their political views or an unsubstantiated accusation.

I don't see the relationship here though between canceling Gina Carano and Alanah Pearce. I think the attack on Gina Carano for her political views is disgusting and indicative of everything wrong with the mob mentality of the left. I think it is completely valid to question what qualifications someone who is essentially a vlogger/podcast host would have to write video games, I just think the criticism should start and end there rather than bringing the fact that she is a woman into the mix.

Personally? It's a huge jump to go from producing podcast content to writing for a video game but who knows what her role is going to be? Perhaps this is more of a junior writing role where she can learn, develop skills, and grow into a larger career. I think of how some developers I know have promoted community manager people like Alanah into development/franchise management with disastrous results. Simultaneously I think of Luke Smith who moved from journalism/community management into a more junior development role and eventually worked his way into the lead role at Bungie producing some incredible content.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I don't see the relationship here though between canceling Gina Carano and Alanah Pearce. I think the attack on Gina Carano for her political views is disgusting and indicative of everything wrong with the mob mentality of the left. I think it is completely valid to question what qualifications someone who is essentially a vlogger/podcast host would have to write video games, I just think the criticism should start and end there rather than bringing the fact that she is a woman into the mix.
They're both getting shit on for their political views. Speculating on her qualifications is useless when we don't know what the studio hiring criteria were and have no evidence if she's actually good or bad at creative writing. She's also starting at the bottom and will have to prove herself over time. That doesn't seem so out of bounds as far as my experiences go with hiring.

Perhaps this is more of a junior writing role where she can learn, develop skills, and grow into a larger career.
It is. But aside from that, there are two big rules that apply here that most business savvy people acknowledge -

1. Networking is important.
2. Life isn't fair. Deal with it.

Successful people know how to expose themselves to more opportunities than less successful people and use them to their advantage more often. There's a lot more work going on behind the scenes than most rando lazy internet posters realize or even recognize, and that's the reason why the complainers will never be as productive with their lives as the go getters.

As the late great Sean Connery once said

O-N-E

JwISzCU.jpg

image.png

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
They're both getting shit on for their political views. Speculating on her qualifications is useless when we don't know what the studio hiring criteria were and have no evidence if she's actually good or bad at creative writing. She's also starting at the bottom and will have to prove herself over time. That doesn't seem so out of bounds as far as my experiences go with hiring.

It is. But aside from that, there are two big rules that apply here that most business savvy people acknowledge -

1. Networking is important.
2. Life isn't fair. Deal with it.

Successful people know how to expose themselves to more opportunities than less successful people and use them to their advantage more often. There's a lot more work going on behind the scenes than most rando lazy internet posters realize or even recognize, and that's the reason why the complainers will never be as productive with their lives as the go getters.

As the late great Sean Connery once said

I see. I don't disagree with anything you said there.

That was what I was getting at. There isn't anything substantial to grab onto here. We can assume it isn't a lead writing role. Others in the industry have made similar journeys some successfully and some unsuccessfully. No reason to say she was put in the role because she is a woman. She has done a ton of networking in the industry and has worked really hard to market herself to developers.

Fine to have reservations about it. If she has done something unethical in the past, if you are afraid that her political views might turn into a situation where narrative is replaced by lecture in a future game, or if you aren't sure that her skills from her journalism work will transfer over totally cool to voice those opinions no reason to push the narrative that she was only hired because she was a woman. I just didn't like how messy things were in that thread.

Top Bottom