• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
To be clear, I'm not saying "don't discuss the idea of advocation of violence being allowed on GAF if it's done politely". I think that's an appropriate enough topic to debate here since it's the meta OT.

I'm saying "don't drag up that specific poster and thread as an example", because it adds the complication of challenging a moderator decision that you were directly involved in. That's a more complex case than the generalized discussion of a given subject.
I was 100% in the wrong to act the way I did in that thread but past transgressions don't mean I shouldn't bring up that which I find to be concerning.

I'm not using "an example" I'm calling out specifically what I find to be deplorable, that is the verbal sleight-of-hand to proclaim the desire to wish violence and death upon those not in your political circle, not of your religion and not of your race. I want to know where the moderation team stands upon such an issue and telling me to not "drag it up" is not helping the issue.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was 100% in the wrong to act the way I did in that thread but past transgressions don't mean I shouldn't bring up that which I find to be concerning.

I'm not using "an example" I'm calling out specifically what I find to be deplorable, that is the verbal sleight-of-hand to proclaim the desire to wish violence and death upon those not in your political circle, not of your religion and not of your race. I want to know where the moderation team stands upon such an issue and telling me to not "drag it up" is not helping the issue.

Have you reported the thread for the mods to see with those examples?

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Have you reported the thread for the mods to see with those examples?
Yeah, went back and reported the thread earlier, admittedly only today after it ran its course for some time. I anticipated it had already been looked through but I'm probably wrong. I appreciate the posters that took the time to make thoughtful and coherent responses to demonstrate why he is in the wrong after my off-the-cuff remarks stank up the thread. It's certainly possible that I've misconstrued Appaw's message but I'm curious to see how many here share my sentiment that we're seeing radicalization unfold on this very board, something that Appaws openly admits to. IIRC even Era admins admitted they had contact with various law enforcement agencies due to similarly-minded posters on their forum.

Papa

Banned
He could have made all of his points without calling people names, or calling people neo-nazis. Words have consequences when you violate the rules. The mods here seem pretty hands off, and allow a lot of leverage (especially compared to what we were all used to prior). But if you keep poking that nest and moving the line like a child testing their boundaries, you have that chance of getting stung.

I think you are missing the forest through the trees. I see "passionate right wingers" banned for calling people names as well. There are plenty of "passionate left-wingers" that never get banned no matter how heated the argument goes, and that is because they do not resort to the childish labels (that can carry real world consequences) of "you're a NAHTZEEEEE".

Yep, AranS/Spheyr was permed a while ago. Just recently hargwood and ipsi2 got banned for questionable posts that could be classed as right wing. It’s not flowing one way, I just think that the other side is used to being coddled and seeing their equal-but-opposite posts copping bans is a bit of a shock to the system. Something something equality oppression.

appaws

Banned
I'm surprised it took this long for Teknav to get the ban, especially since he is new. Dude had it coming.

On the other hand it seems you can openly advocate for violence against certain groups, as long as you're polite while stating so (Appaws thread).

Honestly, it seems more like you are reading far too much into what appaws appaws stated. Hell, we have plenty of left-wing authoritarians that openly want to silence right-winged views that post daily on this site.

I thought I was starting a discussion of a very mature topic. I knew it would be controversial. I was talking about my own evolution politically to possibly rejecting democracy and endorsing authoritarianism. I am not advocating any particular violence against anyone, outside of the imposition of some non-democratic form of government.

It is quite a stretch to equate admiration for Franco (which was a mainstream Catholic position not too long ago) or crusaders (ditto) with a call for violence in the current year.

Democratic forms have not been the norm for humankind through most of our history, so I don't see how arguing against democracy can possible be crossing any moral lines.

Nymphae

Banned
Wow the Bangs ban seems a little....harsh? What did he do? That thread he started about the claim that Gaf has been the leading gaming community since '06 seems legitimate enough, yet was locked, and the post linked on the ban page is literally just a crack about Gamefaqs being more active. Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
Wow the Bangs ban seems a little....harsh? What did he do? That thread he started about the claim that Gaf has been the leading gaming community since '06 seems legitimate enough, yet was locked, and the post linked on the ban page is literally just a crack about Gamefaqs being more active. Am I missing something here?
Well, I didn't have any issues with Bangs. Whether they rethink the perm is up to them. However...

Sometimes Bangs seemed to have a mood swing. He/She would log on and be confrontational with members and staff.

Iirc, He/She got the tag because of a similar incident where they opened a thread and somewhat scolded Evilore about why he was seeing "Single Asians near you" ads. It was nicely explained to them why they were seeing such ads. Given a cheeky tag and closed the thread... more so to save them some embarrassment. And then after they complained in another thread about them closing his/her thread. Again Iirc.

I wouldn't be unhappy if they decided to lessen the length of Bangs Ban. But this isn't a one off thing.

Nymphae

Banned
Well, I didn't have any issues with Bangs. Whether they rethink the perm is up to them. However...

Sometimes Bangs seemed to have a mood swing. He/She would log on and be confrontational with members and staff.

Iirc, He/She got the tag because of a similar incident where they opened a thread and somewhat scolded Evilore about why he was seeing "Single Asians near you" ads. It was nicely explained to them why they were seeing such ads. Given a cheeky tag and closed the thread... more so to save them some embarrassment. And then after they complained in another thread about them closing his/her thread. Again Iirc.

I wouldn't be unhappy if they decided to lessen the length of Bangs Ban. But this isn't a one off thing.

Huh, well without knowing too much about the context of this situation or Bangs as a poster in general, I look at the ban page and it looks petty as fuck. Have fun at Gamefaqs? And a link to comment that for all I know is probably true? If there's a deeper reason I would expect the ban page to state what that is. I don't know, like I said, just seems like the first really petty ban I've seen in a long time. I don't mean to make this the 'question the mods on their ban decisions' thread.

Last edited:
Huh, well without knowing too much about the context of this situation or Bangs as a poster in general, I look at the ban page and it looks petty as fuck. Have fun at Gamefaqs? And a link to comment that for all I know is probably true? If there's a deeper reason I would expect the ban page to reflect that if the goal is transparency.
Ask a staff member? Idk

kbear

Mobile atm so I can’t drop a Tyler-tier novella but there’s something I’ve been wanting to mention for a couple weeks that happens to be ‘meta’ related, and probably obvious to most: Basically, people are going to, and no doubt have already, taken advantage of the new, lax rules of the forum to troll the shit outta the community... to see how far they can push it because traffic is so important right now. Remember, half of the progressive ‘liberals’ that left GAF a year ago in a rage dropped a goatse before they got banned.

Quick example... a couple of months ago there was a dude in the Politics sub that said something obviously against the TOS, like WAY over-the-top and it got used on ERA as an example of how crazy alt-right this place is. That’s all it takes — just one dude dropping a ‘tranny’ on the first page of a topic to bury the entire community. Both Sides™ are guilty of this... taking isolated, extreme statements to label and shit on the other side.

Papa

Banned
Mobile atm so I can’t drop a Tyler-tier novella but there’s something I’ve been wanting to mention for a couple weeks that happens to be ‘meta’ related, and probably obvious to most: Basically, people are going to, and no doubt have already, taken advantage of the new, lax rules of the forum to troll the shit outta the community... to see how far they can push it because traffic is so important right now. Remember, half of the progressive ‘liberals’ that left GAF a year ago in a rage dropped a goatse before they got banned.

Quick example... a couple of months ago there was a dude in the Politics sub that said something obviously against the TOS, like WAY over-the-top and it got used on ERA as an example of how crazy alt-right this place is. That’s all it takes — just one dude dropping a ‘tranny’ on the first page of a topic to bury the entire community. Both Sides™ are guilty of this... taking isolated, extreme statements to label and shit on the other side.

Can you link the example you’re referring to?

I don’t understand why “tranny” is apparently a slur. It just came outta nowhere one day. Is there some history I’m not aware of or is it just more victimhood politics? We even used to have someone here with the tag “wanks to trannies”.

Barsinister

Banned
.......‘tranny’.....

And I just did it to you. People with malicious intent will twist anything to their own ends. A troll will most likely be dealt with swiftly, same as someone who posts in a disingenuous way. Let's concentrate on context and intent and don't worry about what someone else thinks of what we post.

greyshark

Only way I can see us being able to combat posts like that is to report them - if they’re against TOS the mods will act accordingly.

kbear

I don’t understand why “tranny” is apparently a slur. It just came outta nowhere one day. Is there some history I’m not aware of or is it just more victimhood politics? We even used to have someone here with the tag “wanks to trannies”.

Look, I’m all about limiting censorship, more than you know, but it’s not unreasonable to ask people to chill with posting ‘tranny’, n-bombs, and whatever other slurs for a mainstream forum. The fuck outta here man

Edit: u know this too, just trying to push it

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
Look, I’m all about limiting censorship, more than you know, but it’s not unreasonable to ask people to chill with posting ‘tranny’, n-bombs, and whatever other slurs for a mainstream forum. The fuck outta here man

Edit: u know this too, just trying to push it

Who is posting n-bombs?

Unless you can explain to me why tranny is a slur as requested, I reject your offense-taking.

Nymphae

Banned

I've seen both of those slurs used in civil contexts in discussions here, and as Matt mentioned I'm not even clear on the status of tranny as a slur really, are we just going to ban insulting words now?

Last edited:

kbear

I've seen all of those slurs used in civil contexts in discussions here, and as Matt mentioned I'm not even clear on the status of tranny as a slur really, are we just going to ban insulting words now?

I don’t know or care wtf they’re going to ban, dude. But I’m not some basement-dwelling neckbeard that thinks saying tranny is cool in this day and age. There’s gotta be a line with this shit, especially for a mainstream community like this. Use some common sense.

M Mat No one is dropping n-bombs... you’re reading that too literally, wasn’t my point

kbear

And I just did it to you. People with malicious intent will twist anything to their own ends. A troll will most likely be dealt with swiftly, same as someone who posts in a disingenuous way. Let's concentrate on context and intentand don't worry about what someone else thinks of what we post.
Bolded: Nailed it. The left has turned context and nuance into memes. It’s actually kinda backfired over the past several months... they’ve rekt their own by taking singular statements completely out of context and void of even a shred of nuance just to pass
their Internet purity tests. It’s absurd. It’s always black or white and zero or one hundred,

Edit: triple kill 🤑

Last edited:
I've seen both of those slurs used in civil contexts in discussions here, and as Matt mentioned I'm not even clear on the status of tranny as a slur really, are we just going to ban insulting words now?

I would guess "Tranny" caught a bad rap as it came into the lexicon along with "trap" and other words used to describe trans people in a negative way. I can't even think of a way to say "tranny" in a positive context, and I sat here trying. Some of that is going to be based on my own experiences, I suppose, but it just doesn't seem like a "nice" descriptive word to use, when there are others available.

I don't think it should be a verboten/ban word, but I also think it's a word that has a built-in negative connotation at this point, which happens.

There’s gotta be a line with this shit, especially for a mainstream community like this. Use some common sense.

This is how I felt about the thread PKM posted this week regarding the 10 year old “drag queen” dancing in bars for money.

The topic itself is absolutely worthy of discussion. Some of the rhetoric on the first page (basically calling non-straight people pedophiles) seems worrisome. Later in the thread PKM uploaded a video of an allegedly gay guy allegedly drinking piss. I asked twice what the relevance was and never got an answer.

I don’t think it would go well if someone posted a thread about depraved sexual acts that supposedly represent all straight people.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
I don’t know or care wtf they’re going to ban, dude. But I’m not some basement-dwelling neckbeard that thinks saying tranny is cool in this day and age. There’s gotta be a line with this shit, especially for a mainstream community like this. Use some common sense.

M Mat No one is dropping n-bombs... you’re reading that too literally, wasn’t my point

Ignoring my request for an explanation of why and doubling down on the offense-taking. Interesting strategy, let’s see if it pays off. You’re wringing your hands over people using n-bombs and I’m just quoting what you said. How am I reading it too literally?

All I remember is that one day RiskyChris showed up and started belligerently demanding that everyone stop saying tranny or else they’re an awful person. I never saw any justification for why, just “I’m offended, stop offending me”. I imagine that equating the word tranny to the n-word would actually be offensive to any black American who lived through the lynching era.

Is there some unspoken history that I’m unaware of? The cynic in me suspects that it’s just another tactic in the victimhood war because having your own unearned version of the n-word is a very big weapon with which to wallop unbelievers over the head.

You need to break the conditioning, mate. Question your routines.

I agree. It is being used as ammunition. However I don't think it will end there. It's actually not very legitimate issues being brought up against us.

As in the number of times someone has come here and said this site is Alt Right, been asked to show a single post, and can't... Hasn't stopped them from continuing on with their message.

Or how I seen someone on twitter saying we aren't above Console Warring because of the Console Wars: Revenge Of The Gifs thread.

Am I saying to not worry? Absolutely not. Because even if 10% of the people looking at the site are without bad intentions, it is still worth us making sure we aren't using hate or offensive speech like the n-word or tranny. I haven't seen this happen mind you. And I'm sure if reported, the staff will handle it.

Because it's offensive to transgender people. That's what I've been told. Maybe a transgender GAF member can explain it to you.

I don't think GAF staff would ban someone using a word without taking context into account.

However, it can come from the community to offer the solution to possible offensive word usage. It's amazing what humans can do when they talk to each other. I'm sure encouraging others to not use a word like tranny can do as much good as a staff member handing out a ban.

Nymphae

Banned
I can't even think of a way to say "tranny" in a positive context, and I sat here trying

You're not being creative enough

6aeUbCt.jpg

Shifty

BANGS is an interesting case. I remember him coming across as a driveby shitposter when he first showed up here, but his level of discourse gradually rose over time with the occasional dip back into being That One Guy getting confrontational and starting fights in otherwise peaceful threads.

As for the ban, eh. Opening a thread to inquire after the front page slogan is kind of whatever. It's a valid enough subject for discussion, though I've rolled my eyes at enough websites, companies and whatever else using vague language to promote themselves at this point that it seems like a trivial hill to die on.

Escalating to "false claim??" after the first lock and then "EL is making false claims and trying to do a cover-up!" in the mod transparency thread, on the other hand, is more or less asking for trouble. That there is some hard-hitting armchair investigative journalism, Jerry!

And tranny is just another term that's gone through the cycle of starting as a derogative, being taken ownership of and converted into an empowering term, then becoming meaningless when presented without context. Unless you're an electrician in which case it's an electrical transformer but that's really not the point now is it.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
"Tranny" is a word that is going to have different connotations to different people.

On one hand, you've got mechanics who have used the term when speaking about an automobile transmission. Obviously, that is not the meaning that is controversial.

It is also a term that has been used in drag queen culture for transvestites or crossdressers. I am not familiar with the scene...but I believe this to be the case.

(I hope what I am writing is not offensive toward anyone...that's the last thing I would want. It's extremely late and I haven't slept yet.)

Transgender women aren't crossdressers or drag queens. We are not 'men playing dress-up.' We feel in our soul that we truly are women...but we are trapped inside where no one else can see us for who we truly are in our hearts. That's why gender dysphoria can be so difficult. It's not a costume put on for temporary entertainment. It's not something we can escape from...and it can be quite disheartening if someone associates our very being with what someone else may do for laughs or some type of temporary sexual thrill.

"Tranny" also used to be heavily associated with pornography. I believe it's pretty safe to say that most women don't want to be associated with porn...transgender or otherwise.

Basically, many transgender people feel the word has the same level of negativity as the word "faggot." In my own personal experience, both words have certainly been used against us with the same level of disdain.

Last edited:
Is it possible to see who has you on ignore? I feel like half the forum either has me on ignore it just doesn’t like anything I post, which is understandable either way, but would be interesting to know for sure which is which

Guys I dont know whats happening but there are a few users for example on this page JareBear, I see his avatar but all his messages are blank post. Is he banned?

Seems like there’s a politics bias behind which posts get likes or not, almost like posters get likes, not the post themselves.

I dunno, maybe I’m wrong. Seems odd sometimes tho

Seems like there’s a politics bias behind which posts get likes or not, almost like posters get likes, not the post themselves.

I don’t spend enough time on politics to notice that.

would you like more likes tho? Here you go

greyshark

I try not to get too caught up in who is liking posts. I've noticed the behavior you've described as well, but it's really mostly relegated to the Politics forum.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

It is pretty much like this with any liking (confirmation bias sometimes) system. Happens on gaming side too with product of choice/trolling comments, etc.. I think overall though it is not a big issue since I focus on the content of the post more as one should. But you see the very same tribal patterns no matter where you are on the internet.

plushyp

I try not to get too caught up in who is liking posts. I've noticed the behavior you've described as well, but it's really mostly relegated to the Politics forum.
It is pretty much like this with any liking (confirmation bias sometimes) system. Happens on gaming side too with product of choice/trolling comments, etc.. I think overall though it is not a big issue since I focus on the content of the post more as one should. But you see the very same tribal patterns no matter where you are on the internet.
All this is true but the funny thing is I see some posters who haven't posted in over a year liking posts religiously on almost a daily basis of some users.

greyshark

All this is true but the funny thing is I see some posters who haven't posted in over a year liking posts religiously on almost a daily basis of some users.

GAF’s always been heavy on lurkers - this just gives some of them a chance to weigh in without posting.

Papa

Banned
Ah I've been looking for a place to post a meta question. How do some people have custom titles?

Either you did something really funny or really embarrassing (generally the latter) and the mods feel like you need to be known for it for the rest of time.

Top Bottom