• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Orange_Man_Bad banned for calling someone a homophobe in the Overwatch Gay Soldier thread

Dude in the China Moon Landing thread says “if you don’t read scripture then FUCK YOU!” and throws out a disparaging line regarding “foreigners” and it’s completely fine.

Would you describe GAF as a friendly place? Honest question.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I always come in here thinking this is the metal thread and then I'm disappointed when that one didn't get bumped

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Orange_Man_Bad banned for calling someone a homophobe in the Overwatch Gay Soldier thread

Dude in the China Moon Landing thread says “if you don’t read scripture then FUCK YOU!” and throws out a disparaging line regarding “foreigners” and it’s completely fine.

Report it if it doesn't belong. I try to avoid posting unwelcome content (not always successfully) and I'm sure most here do as well. Everywhere has its bad eggs, so if you see it, say it, sorted.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

The homophobe comment was just the cherry on top of a long, long line of ridiculous accusation/insulting posts.

The other guy is quite clearly being sarcastic to take the piss. To quote: "only the US can make it to the moon and that is because the moon and space is not real. this is libtard propoganda".

GAF seems quite friendly if you stick to the right threads!

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not a fan of the variants that are used to call people retarded or autistic. We should all try to be better.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Look at the post history of the dude in the China Moon Landing thread, N Novoitus . He is clearly mocking nationalist / religious extremists. The sad thing just is that some of that group are their own parodies so that you sometimes need to double check...

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Who or what is skyn3t?
Old user that was unfairly banned. You'll occasionally see some people air their grievances for him under the term SJW, which stands for skyn3t justice warrior. RIP in peace.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Orange_Man_Bad posts are mostly insults, petty arguments, and disingenuous rhetoric. It wasn't just any *one* post, but that one broke the camel's back.

The other is a literal joke account, anyone can see that.

Papa

Banned

Given the history here, I reckon the mods can spot a Reeflake a mile off. Orange_Man_Good was quite obviously one.

The homophobe comment was just the cherry on top of a long, long line of ridiculous accusation/insulting posts.

The other guy is quite clearly being sarcastic to take the piss. To quote: "only the US can make it to the moon and that is because the moon and space is not real. this is libtard propoganda".

GAF seems quite friendly if you stick to the right threads!

Hmmmm.....

Nymphae

Banned
Afro Republican thread shut down fast lol. I for one think he was just pushing too many polls, I didn't see the point to a lot of them. I threw him on ignore today gonna try this out for a bit. I'll unhide his posts in threads but I'm kind of liking not seeing as many pointless poll threads.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
RIP Jarebear. Pour one out for the homie.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Disappointing. S/he was on the cusp of getting it too, seemed an ok sort.

J-Roderton

CB-see-you-space-cowboy.jpg

Nymphae

Banned
Yesterday he seemed to be gaffin' a little too hard. Thought he needed a little time afk, good on him. Oh it's a perm, damn. Take care bud.

Last edited:
coreGaf paying their respects and eulogizing in here i see :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_loudly_crying: rip

and now i understand (one of) the purpose of this thread

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
While we can recognize that you hold a specific view and arent going out of your way to offend, we would prefer that you dont comment on LGBT threads, your posts come off as dehumanizing.

Dynamite Cop's opinions are too hot for Neogaf I guess. Huh.

Last edited:
I’d like to request my account be permabanned. I don’t belong on GAF, I’m a bad fit. I can’t PM anyone so I don’t know how else to request this

Thanks for your time.

Even went out with style. Pure class. No throwing a tantrum, or insulting everyone, or throwing around labels and accusations. I'm going to miss their voice being a part of this forum.

For ANYONE reading this. You are not a bad fit for GAF, even if a lot of people seem to disagree with you, as long as you can accept that different people have different opinions. But you get to come here, and you get to challenge those opinions, and you get to explain your own opinions.

So many times I've seen a game blogger or journalist who is not being accurate about things, or they're misrepresenting an argument, or they're telling one side of a story, and they're called out and criticized for their work. And then someone will say those words of defense "well, at least they're starting a conversation." Meanwhile, the blogger or journalist will lock their comments section, and anyone who disagrees with the points they make on many websites will find the thread locked or they'll be banned.

But HERE, on this website, we really do get to have that conversation. And that's a great thing. And it takes all voices to be a part of that, even when most people in a given thread don't see things the way you do.

So godspeed, JareBear. It was a pleasure to mostly, but not always, agree with you.

Nymphae

Banned
A comment on how the ignore system works - I like that I am able to unhide posts from ignored users, but it's sort of clumsy in that once I get to the bottom of the page there is a link to show ignored content. If you click it, it doesn't take you to the content, you then have to hunt for it if you want to read it. It'd be nice if the posts by ignored users simply remained in their original position, and could be un-hidden as you come to them naturally in the threads you're reading.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Dude clearly had an issue with keeping his emotions in check. I can't say I will miss him, but I do hope he gets everything sorted out.

Nymphae

Banned
I will never understand the self-imposed permaban ...

I liked JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered

Hope they'll reconsider the perm and come back when they're ready.

I swear I've seen mods give a temp ban before when someone requested a perma ban - in this case I feel like that might have been a better route. He was a fine poster 99% of the time, he just went a little overboard in one day and needed a break. Too bad he got his account permed.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
:messenger_pensive:

JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered , I hope you reconsider and come back. You seem like a great person and I always enjoyed reading your posts. You will be missed, and I wish you all the best in life. God bless you, friend.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I unignored Afro Republican Afro Republican today because he does provide quality posts that I'm having to unhide a lot. That said, the moment I unhid him, no less than 6 poll threads appeared on the gaming forum lol. Seriously, I don't understand the obsession with polls. Whatever I guess, I don't have to contribute.

Last edited:
I unignored Afro Republican Afro Republican today because he does provide quality posts that I'm having to unhide a lot. That said, the moment I unhid him, no less than 6 poll threads appeared on the gaming forum lol. Seriously, I don't understand the obsession with polls. Whatever I guess, I don't have to contribute.

So you're going to ignore some of those polls were old lol?

Nymphae

Banned
Obviously, the best way to avoid content is to simply, you know, not read it. But just an idea here, I wonder if it would be possible to ignore just threads by particular users instead of all of their content. Or perhaps just a way to hide threads? In general I'm usually fine just choosing not to go into threads that I don't care to participate in, but I wonder if being able to hide threads would help some users who feel compelled to post over and over again when they see a hot topic. Just an idea, like I said I'm ok just picking and choosing what to read here and the presence of threads isn't going to ruin my day, but options are nice, just throwing it out there for consideration.

Papa

Banned
Obviously, the best way to avoid content is to simply, you know, not read it. But just an idea here, I wonder if it would be possible to ignore just threads by particular users instead of all of their content. Or perhaps just a way to hide threads? In general I'm usually fine just choosing not to go into threads that I don't care to participate in, but I wonder if being able to hide threads would help some users who feel compelled to post over and over again when they see a hot topic. Just an idea, like I said I'm ok just picking and choosing what to read here and the presence of threads isn't going to ruin my day, but options are nice, just throwing it out there for consideration.

I’d rather less ignore options, not more. I’ve said my piece before on how I think the ignore function exacerbates the echo chamber effect and how that contributes to social media / forum toxicity. Exposure to opinions, ideas, and people you don’t like is good for you.

J-Roderton

I'm all for the differing opinions present on the boards these days. That's great. Way it should be, cuz that's kinda how the world works. We can all choose what thread to be involved with or not. As far as that ignore feature- I'm good with it. Not naming names of course, but I have two on mine and all they post is complete nonsense, weird, inappropriate, stupid shit, in my opinion and I don't want to waste any time reading it.

Nymphae

Banned
I’d rather less ignore options, not more. I’ve said my piece before on how I think the ignore function exacerbates the echo chamber effect and how that contributes to social media / forum toxicity. Exposure to opinions, ideas, and people you don’t like is good for you.

As the ignore feature stands, you're right, it just hides a person entirely from the site and in general I think that's a bad practice on a board. But honestly I don't see much harm in allowing users to simply hide threads that they aren't going to contribute to anyway, it would simply make it easier to see and focus on threads they do want to contribute to.

Last edited:

greyshark

JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered - I see your ban was changed to temporary. If you do read this and come back I’ll fight through my own salty tears and create a new NFL thread for the next round of the playoffs. Obviously you can’t find a better deal than that - come back! Celebrate your new head coach!

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oh boo. I missed out on posting a witty barb in that trap/account suicide thread. You snooze, you lose.

Top Bottom