• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta to launch "Quest Pass", A Game and App subscription service for VR. Users will receive two free VR apps or games a month.

https://www.sohu.com/a/650757091_395737
On March 7th, Twitter netizen sire在 discovered in the Meta Quest Android application that Meta is suspected of preparing a VR game subscription service, code-named Project Apollo, and its official name may be "Quest Pass". It is reported that the service may give users two new VR applications or VR games every month. According to Quagsire, after opening the deep link oculus://view/platform_subscription on a mobile device, you can jump to the Apollo introduction interface of the Quest application. It is worth noting that another netizen also found this interface in the Quest application on the iOS side.

According to Qingting.com, the initial strategy of the Quest store was to attract users by subsidizing hardware, and then sell content such as VR games to users to make money. In contrast, HTC Vive's strategy is not to substantially subsidize VR hardware, but to reduce the cost of purchasing VR games through the Viveport content subscription service. We know that Quest is already a very successful VR application store, which has made several VR games achieve millions or even tens of millions of dollars in revenue. However, considering the massive investment Meta has made in promoting the Quest store, it may still be The expected revenue maximization was not realized.

Previously, former Reality Labs consultant CTO John Carmack revealed that after purchasing Quest 2, many people mainly play free games (App Lab or SideQuest) or stream PC VR games (SteamVR), which obviously avoids using Quest. Store to buy content. So later, under the pressure of revenue, Meta reduced the hardware subsidy for Quest 2 (the price increased by $100). Next, if the Quest store launches a subscription service, it may be expected to bring greater price advantages to VR games and even increase user stickiness.

However, it is not sure how far Project Apollo has progressed. It is speculated that since Meta and Microsoft have already established cooperation (for example, Xbox Cloud Gaming supports Quest 2), the service may be jointly developed by Microsoft and Meta
d0463a209e7845f4897c0fa2fad3db0d.jpeg

So you are going to get two free games or VR apps, possibly a mix of both as well, every month, and as long as you stay subscribed, you will continue to keep the games or VR apps you got for free. Which will build-up your collection.

It's a pretty big idea for VR, and could end up being a hit for some people. The only issue is that you are starting with a lot of free content and then having more free content added over time like Game Pass does. You are instead going to see two free Apps and/or games, and if you don't care for them you have to wait for only TWO more games the next month, so that sub may keep some people interested, but it also limits what choice there is. Game Pass has a lot of games, including games you may never drive without the sub, you don't start with zero library and two games(or apps) are added every month.

But it is a very interesting idea to improve retention and software in the VR space. Maybe they might increase the amount of games as they are working on this program since it hasn't been announced yet.

I believe Quest 2 users will be able to use this when it comes out, but I have a feeling they won't announce the program until they reveal the Quest 3. Maybe the Quest 3 will have a better version of this program to incentivize adoption (same for the cheaper Ventura headset.)

But being the "Game Pass of VR" is quite an interesting idea that may end up working well for VR adoption depending on how it's executed.

Is Zucker learning lessons and actually adapting? I am shocked. Kudos.

Last edited:

Zuzu

Imo Facebook should get into first party development of VR titles and start developing big budget VR games. That would probably make me play my Quest more. I don’t want party games, roguelikes (there’s so many of these on Quest for some reason), exercise games and experiences. I want interesting, innovative high production single player experiences using VR tech.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
If they can get a gamepass like version out there then maybe - otherwise this sounds like a non starter.

Sounds like PS plus with giving out a couple games each month for free. This can see this helping if it is priced correctly.

Mr.Phoenix

This is basically PS+ and Gameswith Gold.

I am sure there will be the odd VR game here or there onPS+ too.

This is a good thing though. Soon Meta realizes it's a game company the better.

Fredrik

Does anybody actually like that grow your own library thing?

- Have you played Moss?
- No, is it good?
- Oh it’s great! You should try it, it’s on Meta Pass.
Oh wait… You signed up in June? Bummer, it was up to claim in May. Sorry, then you need to buy it. Sucks to be youuu!! teehee

How about just letting everyone who subscribe have the same library no matter if they sign up today or in two years.

Either way, a Pass service is still great, would make me give some of these smaller games a fair chance. I’m in if the price is right.

If I can choose the games/apps thats a good deal

But if you only get two a month, you aren't really choosing.

How about just letting everyone who subscribe have the same library no matter if they sign up today or in two years.

Because then they can't charge people high prices for VR games, including the ones with ad revenue.

You're confusing a good strategy with Zucker wanting to get in pockets and assuming they should do the former when their goal is the latter.

Fredrik

Because then they can't charge people high prices for VR games, including the ones with ad revenue.

You're confusing a good strategy with Zucker wanting to get in pockets and assuming they should do the former when their goal is the latter.
It’s just that this has been tried by many and it never work out well, Google tried it with Stadia Pro too, was okayish sometimes but nobody want to build a library 2 games per month that someone else has chosen for you and risk missing out growing the library if they don’t go in and claim games each month. It’ll be interesting to see if it’ll be a running joke to see the monthly updates of games nobody really care about just like with XBL Gold.

ClosBSAS

I mean...good I guess ..but I don't have a quest 2 to play in quest 2 ecosysten. I have a quest 2 to play PC vr games at max resolution and graphics

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
🤔 hmm, apps or games? Because I really don't care that much about apps.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Imo Facebook should get into first party development of VR titles and start developing big budget VR games. That would probably make me play my Quest more. I don’t want party games, roguelikes (there’s so many of these on Quest for some reason), exercise games and experiences. I want interesting, innovative high production single player experiences using VR tech.

They own the Beat Saber people and I think co-developed (or at least funded) the VR port of RE4. But yeah, they don't have an Alyx, which is of course because the Quest 2 can't run anything like that.

DaGwaphics

Actually a very good idea.

Cheaper, and will get more people to pop in every month, which stats show they do not currently do.

I just wish they were more specific about the type of apps they were doing. They should make a gaming only type subscription, LOL.

This month you get a 3d file explorer app and a VR calculator. 🤷‍♂️

But I agree that this kind of thing should be great for engagement. A lot of VR games sell at low prices anyway, so, it shouldn't be that hard for them to put something together.

I just wish they were more specific about the type of apps they were doing. They should make a gaming only type subscription, LOL.

How can you get more users with Horizon Worlds, and the body check app (forgot what it's called) with only gaming? Remember Zucker wants' mons and teenage girls using VR to as a social destination. He wants all the demographics.

They own the Beat Saber people and I think co-developed (or at least funded) the VR port of RE4. But yeah, they don't have an Alyx, which is of course because the Quest 2 can't run anything like that.

Yes, but of there several acquisitions related to gaming or internal teams, they haven't put out one original major game yet. It may be all those teams are waiting for Quest 3, but after 2 years of Quest 2 you would think they would have put out major original titles by now.

Last edited:
https://www.sohu.com/a/650757091_395737

d0463a209e7845f4897c0fa2fad3db0d.jpeg

So you are going to get two free games or VR apps, possibly a mix of both as well, every month, and as long as you stay subscribed, you will continue to keep the games or VR apps you got for free. Which will build-up your collection.

It's a pretty big idea for VR, and could end up being a hit for some people. The only issue is that you are starting with a lot of free content and then having more free content added over time like Game Pass does. You are instead going to see two free Apps and/or games, and if you don't care for them you have to wait for only TWO more games the next month, so that sub may keep some people interested, but it also limits what choice there is. Game Pass has a lot of games, including games you may never drive without the sub, you don't start with zero library and two games(or apps) are added every month.

But it is a very interesting idea to improve retention and software in the VR space. Maybe they might increase the amount of games as they are working on this program since it hasn't been announced yet.

I believe Quest 2 users will be able to use this when it comes out, but I have a feeling they won't announce the program until they reveal the Quest 3. Maybe the Quest 3 will have a better version of this program to incentivize adoption (same for the cheaper Ventura headset.)

But being the "Game Pass of VR" is quite an interesting idea that may end up working well for VR adoption depending on how it's executed.

Is Zucker learning lessons and actually adapting? I am shocked. Kudos.
Are they charging for online yet? Or are they more in the PS3 era PS+ before plunging into the PS4 era(charging for online) down the line?

DaGwaphics

How can you get more users with Horizon Worlds, and the body check app (forgot what it's called) with only gaming? Remember Zucker wants' mons and teenage girls using VR to as a social destination. He wants all the demographics.

I honestly just think there aren't all that many people excited about creating an avatar for themselves and hanging out in a virtual room. But, I could be wrong. The entire Horizon Worlds/Meta-verse project just seems lame to me at this point. I don't see many jumping just for the gimmick itself.

They'd be a lot better off looking outside of Horizon Worlds and nonsense like that and allow the social component to develop after a natural population of users was already established. Start with specific, targeted use cases. AR in work environments (not for stupid virtual meetings but in situations where having a hands free screen and access to overlay information makes sense), gaming (this naturally takes in a large demographic of users, with different games easily being able to target different users), 3d media (films, YT, etc. - streamline access to the content and make it desirable here). And for small google-glass like AR devices you start to replace standard smartphone technology for messaging, images, videos voice calls etc. That last one being the biggest and most important. The phone is the key, everyone is already using those. You have to find a way to create devices that replace or augment that technology (maybe the device is in two pieces, a little phone size or smaller box you slip in a pocket and the glasses that provide the screen and external sensors).

If this ever becomes anything it will be a slow and steady burn, not a rapid movement.

Create devices that fulfill and simplify existing consumer needs, not devices that you have to convince consumers what the device is or try to get them to develop a new hobby, etc. Likely need two styles of devices here as well, AR only devices to replace phone technology and VR devices to replace your other screens (TVs and Monitors).

Regarding the app subscription, games and media are where subscriptions make sense because users consume content and then need other content to replace it. General productivity apps aren't like that. You might have a need for just a few apps and continue using those for years and most probably don't need to get random free apps.

Last edited:
They'd be a lot better off looking outside of Horizon Worlds and nonsense like that and allow the social component to develop after a natural population of users was already established.

Now with how much money they lost on trying to keep it going, Zucker is already losing billions in VR, writing off Horizon World when they are still spending tons on it trying to update it as recently as a few days ago iirc, with no gains or profit to show for it is probably something Zucker won't allow.

DaGwaphics

Now with how much money they lost on trying to keep it going, Zucker is already losing billions in VR, writing off Horizon World when they are still spending tons on it trying to update it as recently as a few days ago iirc, with no gains or profit to show for it is probably something Zucker won't allow.

Somehow, I think he watched the Matrix and Ready Player One and came away with the idea that people wanted to live in a virtual world rather than the real one, completely ignoring the dystopian nature of it all. Most people could enjoy a few hours in a VR game or attending a virtual event or movie screening, but I think the people that want to spend all day doing that are very limited. Even VR shopping could have some perks over standard online shopping, but not as some gimmick, walking around a virtual mall. Spinning around and examining items in a 3d space though could be interesting as part of a more standard online-store experience.

Though, if you had told me 20 years ago that everyone would practically be addicted to their phone, I wouldn't have believed that either. It might just be more of an old man yelling at clouds thing on my part (I'm starting early). :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Somehow, I think he watched the Matrix and Ready Player One and came away with the idea that people wanted to live in a virtual world rather than the real one, completely ignoring the dystopian nature of it all. Most people could enjoy a few hours in a VR game or attending a virtual event or movie screening, but I think the people that want to spend all day doing that are very limited. Even VR shopping could have some perks over standard online shopping, but not as some gimmick, walking around a virtual mall. Spinning around and examining items in a 3d space though could be interesting.

Though, if you had told me 20 years ago that everyone would practically be addicted to their phone, I wouldn't have believed that either. It might just be more of an old man yelling at clouds thing on my part (I'm starting early). :messenger_tears_of_joy:

2003 had smartphones/PDA's take off with more features and smaller form factors, I think the current phones were inevitable, but we ended up dumbing down the barrier to entry too much, which is now gone.

But as for Quest, Zucker said as quoted in another thread, that he wants people to wear their headset all the time. As in, you are thirsty so you go to your fridge and drink your milk and make yourself a sandwich, with a headset still on.

I don't see any VR content that could possibly convince a person to just leave the headset on like a pair of glasses. Especially since most things that would be novel experiences the first few days, are all much quicker to near instant to do with your phone, or a PC/laptop;

It reminds me of those Graphics and FMV point and click adventure games that were set in the future, where they have this clunky tech that was the norm that was inconvenient to set-up. I think Take Two's ripper had VR headsets you had to put on, turn on the headset itself, then you had to "deck in" to a computer, and you had to select websites you wanted to visit by a slow interface that would automatically move to random icons for each website. Then you had to do that again to get the encryption program for the Email you wanted to read in Virtual Reality.

That seems cool for spectacle in the 90's but when you actually think about a world like that it's incredibly painful, inconvenient, and inefficient

We already have Apple wanting people to type in the air with an air keyboard. It's cool on the surface until you think for more than two minutes.

Somehow, I think he watched the Matrix and Ready Player One and came away with the idea that people wanted to live in a virtual world rather than the real one, completely ignoring the dystopian nature of it all. Most people could enjoy a few hours in a VR game or attending a virtual event or movie screening, but I think the people that want to spend all day doing that are very limited. Even VR shopping could have some perks over standard online shopping, but not as some gimmick, walking around a virtual mall. Spinning around and examining items in a 3d space though could be interesting as part of a more standard online-store experience.

I think this is why it will be interesting to see what Apple do with VR. They generally create products that integrate into your everyday life. If they can achieve that with VR could be a watershed moment for the technology.

Danknugz

you've got the wrong headset then sorry to break it to you

Justin9mm

Most Quest VR content is crap, a lot worse than game pass filler, so its going to be mostly stuff you will try for 5 minutes and never play again. The 2 freebies a month I guarantee won't be games like Beat Saber, Superhot etc. There is very few headset selling games and these are the games they make their money on. They are doing this because they are struggling but it won't work because they won't have Xbox levels of investment. A lot of the Quest games are so overpriced and the discounts and sales are utter bullshit. My Quest 2 headset is exclusively used for PCVR now so this doesn't benefit me. Maybe gearing up for Quest 3 and better exclusive Quest 3 content, I dunno. I'm very curious to know what the subscription cost is because if it's anything like the price of some of the games, oof.

DaGwaphics

But as for Quest, Zucker said as quoted in another thread, that he wants people to wear their headset all the time. As in, you are thirsty so you go to your fridge and drink your milk and make yourself a sandwich, with a headset still on.

I don't see any VR content that could possibly convince a person to just leave the headset on like a pair of glasses. Especially since most things that would be novel experiences the first few days, are all much quicker to near instant to do with your phone, or a PC/laptop;

VR would be a rough go in that way, I don't see it either. AR with a sleek headset that is like glasses, maybe, because you should be able to look through that when you aren't looking at the AR screen (basically just a pair of prop glasses). That could maybe catch on if it started as just an expensive secondary screen for your phone, where you can see messages and things without needing to look at your phone, instead just glancing upward at the AR. Many wear glasses all day as it is, so, that is a sensation that you can get used to at least.

We already have Apple wanting people to type in the air with an air keyboard. It's cool on the surface until you think for more than two minutes.

Air typing will be a super useful thing with AR systems, that and good general gesture recognition so that you can get your minority report on.

RainblowDash

Gold Member
Bold, especially if it lures developers.

It would of course have a chance of being successful of the hardware wasn’t limited to Quest hardware

Kadve

Interesting how Epic does the same without you paying anything. Granted its mostly older games but hey, still great if you dont own them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom