• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic Publisher Ranking: Nintendo, Sony rules...

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
In 2015, Haruki Satomi, the new CEO of Sega apologized to fans for several mistakes and promised to make Sega great again.

Bullshit said the internet. Is Sega still able to fight against champions like Take Two, Nintendo or Sony

Let's compare the veteran to major or recognized publishers of the current generation.

Since 2015 (2016 Game Publisher Ranking), there are violent battles ! Sony's annual AAA awards winners or Nintendo's fan favorite BOTW ? Bethesda or Take Two games, which ones are the best ?

According to Metacritic, Sony get the crown of... the weakest publisher among the giants with an average of 73% for the last 4 years. This publisher is probably putting too much efforts on only 1 or 2 games a year.

Not bad but quite disapointing if you listen thousands of Mario Fans on the net, Nintendo has a good score of 75,65%. (More or less like EA/75,575)

In the middle sized publishers corner, Capcom beats Bethesda (75,95 vs 75,6) but must leave the crown to Take Two.(76,175)

As you could observe, Sega never had the game of a year. The hedgehog is once again humiliated...

Sega is not the Mike Tyson of video game, nor the Ronaldo.
Sega is Messi, Mohamed Ali the night he fought against The Beast Foreman. People said he was done, over, finito !

Sega has the highest metascore average for the last 4 years with an impressive 76,8% ! Even middle sized publishers with less than 20 games released couldn't match the solid, balanced and talented Sega Studios ( 7th Dragon/Kodama, Kataoka/VF5, Nagoshi/Judgment, Sato/Binary Domain, Tanaka/Valkyria, Terada/Sakura Wars, Osaki/Out Run 2, Atlus, Alien Isolation team)

With its current ranking and its most ambitious outputs planned for 2019/2020 (Shin Sakura Wars, RE:Fantasy, SMT5, The Creative Assembly most expensive game ever, Shin Yakuza), Sega has the potential to producing an atomic end of gen, remaining in the top 3 publishers and possibly with the best overall metascore (challengers being Capcom and Take Two for the last 2 years)

Well, yeah, Haruki's Sega is becoming great again.

Last edited:
Where is Microsoft? :pie_thinking:
To achieve an average score on games, you need to release games.

Lulz, just trollin. It's because their minimal output has been dreadful this gen. Even early games that might have been franchise worthy were being sold to the 10 people who accidently bought an xbone. Meanwhile millions flocked to play BB,KZ,TLOU,Uncharted etc and lined up to pick up Switch.

Last edited:
73 or 76 %? The difference is hardly worth talking about.
It depends on the number of games being released. If we are talking an average of a few hundred games, it is a pretty big difference. If we're talking about five or six games, it isn't much.

Of course, that doesn't mean anything if the underlying data is bad, and Metacritic is largely based on the opinions of game "journalists", so it is kind of saying, "among those too stupid to tie their shoes, Sony does the worst" - which, when you think about it, is still pretty damning.

Fat Frog

Klart Klart
"73 or 76 %? The difference is hardly worth talking about. "

I thought it was funny since Sony and Nintendo fans seem always extremely inclined to show how goty Sony's exclusives are or how superior Nintendo's "ideas" are.(even when we discover 10 years later, it was inspired by others publishers).

This thread must be a brutal landing to reality. Constant quality must be noticed and rewarded too.

Yeah, Metacritic is giving an advantage to smaller publishers, that why the Sega scores mustn't be downplayed. Haruki's firm was second in 2018 with 30 games, Capcom first with only with 15. But overrall Sega released more games than EA or Sony...

For 30 games in 2018, that's a difference since 78,5 means Sega's average is "good" (keeps improving)and "Sony's mixed"(71,8) especially when some pretends Sony is FANTASTIC (only 20 distinct titles) and Sega so laughable (30 distinct titles).

Sega has quantity and quality.
It was time to stop spreading the bullshit and get back to facts.

Last edited:
SEGA is like Manchester City. Had a decent run in the mid 80s/90s and did a collosal f*** up by 1999 and suffered til 2001. Both were bought out by someone else who didn't really care til the latter 00s. Both were undershadowed by "that" Red Team for many years.

Both started to gain traction in the early 2010s but still made mistakes and now 2017 onwards they got their act together and have had relatively great success by doing what they do best and setting records.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Reminder that Metacritic does not matter for Days Gone, but it does for Quantum Break.

It seems to have sold very well despite the MC score, probably the first time I have completely disagree with a MC score, meaning off by more than 10+ points. Reviewers are becoming useless though, we generally have access to just about the same information, data, and videos, etc.

Reviewers are coming to the end of mattering. I think developers/publishers are crazy for putting in bonus clauses in contracts based on MC now though.

(for the record, I would be a bad reviewer of Nintendo games, just not my thing - I thought Mario sucked when I was kid let alone the 3,345th version of Mario... Zelda was always cool, but my interest in Nintendo games even as a kid was very low... I don't think Nintendo would like my reviews of their products much)

Last edited:

nowhat

Where is Microsoft? :pie_thinking:
They've recently acquired/founded a bunch of studios - you just wait 3-5 years and we'll sort this out!

(seriously though, this is a somewhat pointless topic to make, from 73% to 76.8% - the average is within statistical error with such a small sample size)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They've recently acquired/founded a bunch of studios - you just wait 3-5 years and we'll sort this out!

(seriously though, this is a somewhat pointless topic to make, from 73% to 76.8% - the average is within statistical error with such a small sample size)

But they have published games since 2015.

Fat Frog

If you don't want to provoke a console war, it's up to you, dude. For the moment, i don't see any clash...

It's not a Sega VS Sony dick contest.
Nonetheless, it's hard to deny there was too much masturbation about so called mighty Console makers.
This thread was a way to say "that's enough, we understood. Ok, there are nice stuffs but no need to downplay the other publishers"...

DeepEnigma DeepEnigma
Microsoft also has exciting outputs but to be fair, they have a huge wallet but often finish with less than 15 titles on the market. (Their average metascore is above Sony, if i'm not mistaken)

It will be far more interesting to compare metascores for the next gen since they purchased a load of talented studio and are finally taking exclusives seriously. (even if i consider back library as a way to highlight previous exclusives games).

Last edited:

A.Romero

Great analysis OP.

I would have expected Sony to rate higher. I guess this also solves the issue where people say that Sony games get automatic 10's.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Reminder that the xbox crowd have a persecution complex.
I am not wrong though. People usually bring Metacritic to prove Quantum Break's mediocrity, even though fans keep claiming it's a great game. But they dismiss Metacritic when it comes to Days Gone.

Metacritic is shit, game reviewers "Journalists" are shit. Play what you enjoy and love.
With many reviewers wanting to instill politics in video games, Metacritic is useless especially when many good reviews aren't counted (e.g. YongYea, SkillUp, ACG, dunkey, etc.).

ROMhack

I commend the OP for being thoughtful but I genuinely can't understand the infatuation with Metacritic. Reviewers are rarely sincere so I feel aggregated numbers mean very little.

Last edited:

nowhat

I am not wrong though. People usually bring Metacritic to prove Quantum Break's mediocrity, even though fans keep claiming it's a great game. But they dismiss Metacritic when it comes to Days Gone.
Not that I dismiss your personal assessment (and let me be absolutely clear here - any kind of valuation of a game or anything really is inherently subjective), but you're talking about a game released three years ago. As opposed to a game released a couple of weeks ago. "They" has a lot of projection behind it, perhaps wait for the dust to settle a bit first?

FWIW Days Gone for me is somewhere between 7 or 8 thus far. But I can also see 6 or 9 (not 10 though) as being a valid opinion. But that's just me. It's this mysterious "they" that gets me in your comment.

Last edited:

CaptainClaw

Metacritic is shit, game reviewers "Journalists" are shit. Play what you enjoy and love.
I remember when Murdered Soul Suspect came out it wasn't reviewed great...but few months later I played it and found it quite fun actually

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Also metacrits doesn't work for PC games. No updates on reviews when new patches hit. Makes them pointless.

League and fortnite when it launched are not the same game anymore as example.

Three

Can you show me who instead of saying 'people'?

Could you not have said the same thing for Driveclub? Some games have fans, it's the norm. Why bring up a 3 year old game in this thread because you think they've been mistreated?

Wink

This reads like a drunk WWE commentator got a little too excited by miniscule differences of numbers that hardly matter in the first place.

Fat Frog

This reads like a drunk WWE commentator got a little too excited by miniscule differences of numbers that hardly matter in the first place.
That's Metacritic's statement :
'. That's especially impressive given that Sega released more distinct titles than all but one other publisher in 2018.'

Your focus is also wrong. What is impressive is the difference between image and reality, not a basic average comparison without additional datas and comments. (People can choose to add their personal metrics, analysis or just just pissing on Metacritic which is of course not the bible)
For instance, someone noticed the "every Sony game has 100%" is not a correct... that was possible by exposing the official Meta Datas.
In forums, we comment datas or of course you can piss on them or being sarcastic with the OP for example ;)

Fat Frog

...and yet your data is supposedly from 2015 onwards?
Sometimes Microsoft is in the major publishers ranking but most of the time they don't have enough games.

Like i said, Microsoft datas will be interesting with the Scorpio. (Tons of new studios)

Kenpachii

Do you really find them fun ?

Yes because they provide pure gameplay something many games these days seem to miss. it's also competitive which makes every match unique and challenging.

League was absolute fantastic when i played it until they removed my dominion mode i quited because of that a while ago. Fortnite not my type of game simple because i don't like the wait before the match starts. it's to long before i can actually start to play it. Which result me into opting for other games over it.

They are also free to play, with no entree fee. So that helps a lot with getting friends to join along with you.

The thing is i absolute hate games that evolve around quests, long dialogue and movie type of scenario's with single routes. I like tactical thinking that evolves constantly and those competitive games are all about that.

Example, i play they are billions currently, the new anno game, ragnarok online ( making classes work that do not work, absolute fun to do ) etc etc.

The thing what i wanted to say about metacrits is that its fundamentally flawed by the fact that it doesn't take into account patches. Some games are completely different from there original form. Ragnarok online for example is a complete different beast from when it launched, yet metacrits doesn't reflect this. A lot of PC games are open documents they are ever evolving products. Just look at TBC for example on metacrits, the game no longer exists and is playable its a evolving product.

Lots of games also that don't have mass appeal but are absolutely fantastic are also barely reviewed as result. Like they are billions. It's a game that probably isn't something reviewers would understand that play something like god of war. It throws you in the dark and there you go and there are only 4 maps with nothing else. How can this be seen as a game? well its probably one of the best games in last few years on RTS level.

Metacrits doesn't work for PC's never has. The fact that there is no "pc sponsor" that creates heavy influence of pushing scores forwards clearly reflects in the scores the games get.

Hell they didn't even bother added myst towards it, it has a zero rating and doesn't even have a page. Probably one of the most important games on PC to start with.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Sometimes Microsoft is in the major publishers ranking but most of the time they don't have enough games.

Like i said, Microsoft datas will be interesting with the Scorpio. (Tons of new studios)

The "Scorpio" is nearing its life end, as it's just an Xbox One. Nothing much has changed in terms of exclusive game since its release.

thelastword

Banned
Reminder that Metacritic does not matter for Days Gone, but it does for Quantum Break.
Game reviews are subjective.....Some games have wider appeal than others.......If more persons are buying a game it's because mores persons have gravitated towards said game and they feel they will be entertained by it, so they spend their coin....At the end of the day, you do you? Nobody knows what games you like except you.........I guess it's always a nice feeling when lots of persons buy games that you like no matter the score......Your jubilation comes from the fact that you are not alone and that you are guaranteed to get more of the games that you like.......That's the gist...

Carna

Banned
The Op types messages like shit clickbait, you didn't even bother to post any citations or evidence.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
SEGA is a great publisher/developer house again. I wish they'd revive some of their older franchises but I can respect the gradual recovery. SEGA buying Relic (from THQ) and ATLUS were really smart moves.

Fat Frog

SEGA is like Manchester City. Had a decent run in the mid 80s/90s and did a collosal f*** up by 1999 and suffered til 2001. Both were bought out by someone else who didn't really care til the latter 00s. Both were undershadowed by "that" Red Team for many years.

Both started to gain traction in the early 2010s but still made mistakes and now 2017 onwards they got their act together and have had relatively great success by doing what they do best and setting records.
Yes, kinda.
To be fair with Satomi Hajime, he was over 60 when he took control of the company of his old friend Okawa (Sega). His top prioritiy was probably to keep Sega-Sammy alive for his son Haruki. It was like an emergency.

Satomi junior on the other hand has a long term strategy for the firm, including fans and Sega's legacy. (Sega Fes, abandoning AT Games for the megadrive mini, Shin Sakura Wars, HOTD Scarlet Dawn, the director of Sega Rally/Touring Car for Sega World Drivers, releasing less beta games...)

Last edited:

Daymos

Sorry you lost me with the words: "according to metacritic".. according to an average score based off of trusted sources like Kotaku, the daily star, cultured vultures, and Shacknews.

Just poll neogaf, it's probably more accurate.

Fat Frog

SEGA is a great publisher/developer house again. I wish they'd revive some of their older franchises but I can respect the gradual recovery. SEGA buying Relic (from THQ) and ATLUS were really smart moves.
In the west, buying TCA was their best idea.

Creative Assembly was an excellent Strategy Game's developer, but under Sega(tons of new employees), they experimented new stuffs like the survival Alien Isolation and soon a tactical FPS. Now is TCA is Great.

In Japan, i like the way they work with their ex employees.

Daymos Daymos
Polls ? They are also polluted by thousands of fanboys.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Sega still doesn't know how Sonic works. They took fans to develop a real Sonic game for it. It's the most accurate prove ever.

They can't do a Sonic game that is just a plataformer, they do a kinda of a racing game that has Sonic and he can jump. I guess that it's hard to develop a level like those in the Adventure series...

Top Bottom