• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic's weighting system revealed

Wow O_O I write for DarkZero, which is a volunteer based site (we all have other jobs or are students, etc.)

I have no idea how we are fixed into the highest category. O_O I'm shocked. We don't get paid or anything, we're just a group of guys who like gaming. O_O

I'm suspecting that the weight is judged by how close your site is to the average score.
If site is giving scores closest to the end rating game receives it could be valued higher.

Uuuhhm, why are there several (official) Playstaion and Xbox publications in the highest two categories, but no Nintendo publications whatsoever?
This is obviously not the biggest question here, but it stood out to me.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Most likely Sony/Microsoft pay to have their official magazine reviews matter more. It's bullshit, and Official Playstation/Xbox/Nintendo magazines need to be ignored completely.

Thraktor

I don't know whether these are qualitative rankings or not (it doesn't seem like it), but if you were to try to do it in a statistically unbiased manner, it would basically be a matter of weighting the reviews by how much statistical information they provide. As an example, they could be weighted based on the following three criteria:

- Total number of reviews from publication
- Granularity of scores
- Distribution of scores (ie how large a standard deviation their score distribution has)

Publications with lots of reviews, very granular scores and a wide range of scores (relative to that granularity) will, statistically speaking, give you more precise information to base your metascore on than publications that have reviewed only a handful of games, operate on a 5-point scoring system and have very tightly clustered scores. It would therefore make sense to weight the former more heavily than the latter, which might be what they're doing.

Another possibility is that they model the predictive value each publication's scores have (ie how accurately that publication's scores predict every other publications' scores). Basically, this would mean that the publications with scores closest to the norm would be weighted more highly.

Eusis

And that's the thing, I don't think aggregation is a bad thing. It's just that it sort of loses a lot of meaning when you skew numbers so (seemingly) randomly, not to mention crazy stuff like the way it's affected bonuses, budgets, etc.
Yeah, a critic can always affect someone's job, but it shouldn't be so DIRECT. If a game sells lower because of that review and they fail to meet sales based bonuses, fine, but it seems kinda crap to do it based on those scoring averages as that can put pressure on some people to score a bit higher just to protect someone's livelihood.

Dahbomb

I think the people who are theorizing that the tiers are based on a site's deviation versus the average MC score MIGHT be right.

It's the ONLY thing I can think of here. Still a terrible system because it's making it so that sites need to conform to be relevant.

UberTag

Wow. I don't understand why they would do that. Publishers are going to be throwing money at the sites in the highest tier.
Seeing how this is seemingly an arbitrary weighting decision, I have to wonder if certain sites with low scoring weights could file antitrust suits against Metacritic if their lack of influence cost them lucrative ad revenue opportunities with various publishers.

Of course, that would open up the whole Pandora's box of reviews being bought and paid for.

Orayn

Wow. This really damages my opinion of Metacritic.

It hasn't affected mine... On a one-dimensional opinion scale where the minimum is zero. On a scale that allows negative numbers, my opinion of them can now only be written with up-arrow notation.

Stick that in your weighted pipe and smoke it, MetaLaughingtstock.

Yonafunu

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Most likely Sony/Microsoft pay to have their official magazine reviews matter more. It's bullshit, and Official Playstation/Xbox/Nintendo magazines need to be ignored completely.

Couldn't agree more, those things are ridiculous. Nobody should be taken them seriously.

Would adopting RT's system of like/dislike be better as a whole? Review sites can keep their grading scale and it's certainly better than averaging all the scores and in this case aggregating them too.

I never followed metacritic and gamerankings has sucked since being bought out by CNET.

So sites that don't follow the review score hivemind don't skew the results too much? That makes sense, given Metacritic's intentions. Where's Tom Chick on that list? Maybe he's off the chart at 0.01.

This effectively destroys all the stupid but incessant conspiracy theories that Tom Chick purposefully lowers games to below average (i.e. using the whole scale properly) to skew the Metacritic score.

Keep on trucking, Tom Chick.

1682897-tomchick.jpg

DaBuddaDa

Phil Kollar has an article about the presentation:

While its weaknesses are clear, Greenwood-Ericksen and team wanted to determine if there is value to the Metacritic rating in spite of that. There's no reliable way to translate quality to quantitative data, so instead they measured a game's economic value by comparing sales to scores.

The results? It turns out that the Metacritic score is a great indicator of financial success. Sales rise sharply for games listed as 83 or higher on Metacritic. Greenwood-Ericksen determined there was a .72 correlation between the Metacritic score and sales, which is considered extraordinarily high — though he emphasized that this means the two are closely related, not that one directly causes the other.

newjeruse

Seeing how this is seemingly an arbitrary weighting decision, I have to wonder if certain sites with low scoring weights could file antitrust suits against Metacritic if their lack of influence cost them lucrative ad revenue opportunities with various publishers.
Let's just get rid of the 1st Amendment altogether while we're at it.

I don't know whether these are qualitative rankings or not (it doesn't seem like it), but if you were to try to do it in a statistically unbiased manner, it would basically be a matter of weighting the reviews by how much statistical information they provide. As an example, they could be weighted based on the following three criteria:

- Total number of reviews from publication
- Granularity of scores
- Distribution of scores (ie how large a standard deviation their score distribution has)

Publications with lots of reviews, very granular scores and a wide range of scores (relative to that granularity) will, statistically speaking, give you more precise information to base your metascore on than publications that have reviewed only a handful of games, operate on a 5-point scoring system and have very tightly clustered scores. It would therefore make sense to weight the former more heavily than the latter, which might be what they're doing.

Another possibility is that they model the predictive value each publication's scores have (ie how accurately that publication's scores predict every other publications' scores). Basically, this would mean that the publications with scores closest to the norm would be weighted more highly.

Very nicely put

So if I want to be weighted highly on gamerankings I should review games to 3 significant figures, right?

But that said average on its own is not that interesting. It would be interesting to see standard deviation. It might give a glance of view of how divided reviewers are (yeah yeah look at higher orders to figure exact distribution by which point you might as well open a histogram).

I'm surprised Gaming Age is so high up.. I only visit its forum.
There is a Gaming Age forum? From what I understand NeoGAF is NeoGAF because it parted ways with Gaming Age.

I propose the creation of a new rankings website where, instead of weightings, the distribution of scores given by websites is normalised based on their mean review score and then spread in a normal distribution about 50%.
This might lead to confusion as scores constantly change.

I think the future in the context of a personalised Internet is weighting based on an individuals preferences. Then again the merit is kind of limited.

So proud to work for a website that doesn't use scores or get listed on Metacritic.

Love Kotaku's review scoring; actually pressures you lot to tell us why you say YES or NO :p
Do you know if metacritic pick the reviews themselves; or if they're 'sent' to them by the sites?

sixghost

This effectively destroys all the stupid but incessant conspiracy theories that Tom Chick purposefully lowers games to below average (i.e. using the whole scale properly) to skew the Metacritic score.

Keep on trucking, Tom Chick.

1682897-tomchick.jpg
It doesn't seem like that list is comprehensive. There are two publications with the name *****'d out, one may be Quarter to Three. Also, I doubt metacritic would list a review if it didn't actually factor into the aggregate score.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess it's good that although Metacritic and Gamespot are CBSi properties, Metacritic doesn't give Gamespot the highest weight?

I wonder if they have to treat Giantbomb better now though. lol

Imagine a world without scores, guys.

7mJrRtC.jpg

Love Kotaku's review scoring; actually pressures you lot to tell us why you say YES or NO :p
Do you know if metacritic pick the reviews themselves; or if they're 'sent' to them by the sites?

MetaCritic goes and grabs the reviews themselves, as far as I know. In all of my writing experience I never had any interaction with an actual MetaCritic person, but then again I've never written for anybody weighted at like 1.5 like IGN. I'm not sure how it works for big publications.

Why are people assuming the publishers didn't already have a version of this list?

Because publishers did not have a version of this list.

Anyways, if you check the OP, some researchers backwards engineered the rankings to get to these figures. It doesn't appear to be the real list, but a close approximation.

RotBot

It doesn't seem like that list is comprehensive. There are two publications with the name *****'d out, one may be Quarter to Three. Also, I doubt metacritic would list a review if it didn't actually factor into the aggregate score.
The list is not comprehensive but the *** sites are banned on neogaf. The link has no censored sites.

Riposte

Imagine a world without scores, guys.

Scores would still exist even if you removed the explicit number at the end. What we would be left with would be people being more vague about whether 1) they hated the game, 2) they didn't like the game much, 3) they had mixed feelings on the game, 4) rather liked the game, or 5) loved the game.

Eusis

Rotten Tomatoes had a gaming section, it's just that nobody cared for it for some reason. Of course that was back before Metacritic became "a thing".
They also fucked it up relative to movie scores: as I recall if a game got a 7 or lower it was marked as a "rotten" score, leaving only 8-10 mattering. As much as people talk about the skewed review scale it wasn't THAT skewed on average from what I saw, and as I recall we had plenty of pretty good games get ravaged there as a result.

Jex

Huh, the Metacritic weighing systems looks to be about as shitty as the Dow-Jones Industrial average. Ridiculous.

Domstercool

Metacritic does all that. I know on DarkZero when a new review goes up we don't do anything, Metacritic just pull it themselves and puts it on the site.

Randdalf

This might lead to confusion as scores constantly change

That is true, but unless there is a dramatic shift in how games are scored (it's been pretty much the same, for like, forever) it won't change noticeably, if at all. In any case, the distribution of past site scoring practices could be fixed for each review, to reflect the time period when it was scored and it might also be pertinent to only use, say, the past 2 years of scores to calculate a site's distribution.

Top Bottom