• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Informer: MGSV: GZ healing spray, length & footprints

All jokes aside, I was wondering if they are actually going to release a batch of missions now and then until The Phantom Pain releases. That would be awesome!
I'd be quite content with this actually. Would love to see it.

Can't wait to play this, ugh.

rvy

Banned
I'd be quite content with this actually. Would love to see it.

Can't wait to play this, ugh.

I'd be surprised if they don't release DLC between now and TPP. It's not as if Kojima isn't down with adding content to his releases either. Integral, Substance, Subsistence.
Hopefully we get something and it doesn't suck.

Then again, I'm not sure how well people would accept DLC for something like Ground Zeroes.
It's by no means cheap, and adding paid content for it down the line will burn some more good will.

Fucking games these days. Halo destroyed them all. Every damn game has to have REGENERATION.

Here, here is a ultra realistic military simulation ... oh but one thing ... when you get shot YOU WILL REGENERATE. Yeah, you are fucking wolverine. You are a superhero even!

Fuck.

" minor injuries regenerate ... otherwise, you use a healing SPRAY ". WTF. What spray? Deodorant? Is this Axe for Injuries?

I know, overreaction to a minor issue. But damnit all. Can't these developers these days atleast try to put some thought and care into the minor details. Can't tell you how awesome it was to see you actually patching yourself up in TLOU.

And does Konami really consider spending 100 hours searching every nook and cranny for little secrets here and there fun? Really? There is a reason kids go easter egg hunting and not the adults. Hell it stops being fun even for the kids if they can't find that last egg within 5 minutes.

video games.

Not every game has to be like The Last of Us. And regenerating health isn't inherently bad, because the gameplay is designed around that.

you don't think Kojima puts some thought and care into minor details? Have you played any of the Metal Gear Solid games?

hmmm yes, breaking bottles on the shelf for the first time, heartbeat coming from the controller when lying on the ground, changing controller ports to beat bosses with the ability to read thoughts, hidden little things like women in lockers. Yes I know Kojima is one of the masters at it. Which is what annoys me when I see him using such stupid gameplay design that makes no sense in this world.

I'd rather run over and have to pick up a medkit compared to just sitting still for a second to get all my energy back. Sucks. I hate regeneration. Atleast in Halo it made sense because it was a shield regenerating. Then everyone did it for everything.

Is MGSV:GZ looking like a good place to jump in for new fans of the series?
This is also knowing that the game is basically a demo and yadda yadda yadda.
I'm sure the gameply aspect is fine but i'm unsure how Kojima is handling the story for new players....since in the past playing MGS out of order was always a bad idea unless it was MGS3.

It seems like Ground Zeroes would be a perfect entry point to the series! The game has a backstory option in the menu, which covers Big Boss' story leading up to the events of Ground Zeroes. (Not to mention that the gameplay system has been completely revamped!) If you feel you should catch up, I would recommend (at least) watching Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.
They are both excellent games and should be played, but Peace Walker requires time that probably won't be available before the release of Ground Zeroes.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, though, as Ground Zeroes was created to set up a new story for The Phantom Pain, not expand on previous stories in the series.

Slixshot

Banned
It would be cool if MGS took a hyper realistic approach: 1-2 bullets and you're done. Maybe throw in some medical supplies to stitch yourself up and you'd have to perform some trauma center type mini game

Broritos

It seems like Ground Zeroes would be a perfect entry point to the series! The game has a backstory option in the menu, which covers Big Boss' story leading up to the events of Ground Zeroes. (Not to mention that the gameplay system has been completely revamped!) If you feel you should catch up, I would recommend (at least) watching Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.
They are both excellent games and should be played, but Peace Walker requires time that probably won't be available before the release of Ground Zeroes.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, though, as Ground Zeroes was created to set up a new story for The Phantom Pain, not expand on previous stories in the series.

No it's not. The perfect game to jump in the series is MGS1. Play them in order.

No it's not. The perfect game to jump in the series is MGS1. Play them in order.

Everyone has that much time on their hands? All of the mainline Metal Gear games should be played at one point or another by those looking to get into the series, yes, but is it absolutely necessary going into Ground Zeroes? Not at all.

Aeneas

100 hours is silly, but given how much I have replayed every MGS game, I don't doubt it will be worth the price tag.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Everyone has that much time on their hands? All of the mainline Metal Gear games should be played at one point or another by those looking to get into the series, yes, but is it absolutely necessary going into Ground Zeroes? Not at all.
That's the way I see it. Not everyone is a hardcore purist with a lot of time at their disposal. Starting with MGS1 and slowly working your way up may be the ideal way to experience the entire story, but it's definitely not the only way it can be enjoyed.

Time will tell, but MGSV looks to be a very fun and accessible entry point for newcomers, both for gameplay and story. Then they can go on to play other entries in the series to further flesh out the people/places/things they initially encountered. I dunno, seems like a reasonable approach to me.

Alienous

Perfect entry point?

Rubbish. MGS3 is practically required reading/playing. All anyone needs to know regarding Peace Walker is that the dude from Snake Eater builds a militia. That singing robot shit deserves to be forgotten.

Imagine playing the Tanker chapter without having played MGS1. It becomes nonsensical. Heck, you don't get to see the Tanker chapter if you say you didn't play MGS1. I'd view Ground Zeroes similarly.

And of course TPP is going to expand on previous events. The only difference is that you can feign your main character having amnesia. Contextually that seems to be a far better entry point.

That's the way I see it. Not everyone is a hardcore purist with a lot of time at their disposal. Starting with MGS1 and slowly working your way up may be the ideal way to experience the entire story, but it's definitely not the only way it can be enjoyed.

Time will tell, but MGSV looks to be a very fun and accessible entry point for newcomers, both for gameplay and story. Then they can go on to play other entries in the series to further flesh out the people/places/things they initially encountered. I dunno, seems like a reasonable approach to me.

Right, that's exactly what I was getting at.

Ground Zeroes exists only as the "prologue" to a new story in the Metal Gear universe, The Phantom Pain. Hideo Kojima, himself, has explained that there may be inconsistencies in the timeline to create a better story. He has also stated that while the relationship between Big Boss and Zero will be portrayed, it will not be the main focus of Metal Gear Solid V, which tells me that the focus will be primarily on Metal Gear Solid V characters and their stories, and not characters of the past, ala Metal Gear Solid 4.

Perfect entry point?

Of course, it's not literally "perfect."

Yes, playing Metal Gear Solid 3 and (at least) watching Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker are recommended.
I don't have the same problem with Peace Walker's story that you do, but I also understand that people simply don't have time to spend 80-plus hours hoping to unlock the game's true ending.
However, there is a recap of these events within the main menu's backstory option. So, all of the information you need from those games will be available from the menu of Ground Zeroes. Hideo Kojima has suggested time and time again how accessible he wants to make this game to - not only fans of the series, but to newcomers, as well. Saying things like "(Ground Zeroes) isn't the end, this is just the beginning" leads me to believe that he's ready to move forward and tell a new story and shed light on a new chapter in Big Boss' life.

the health regen behaves like it always has, what's the big deal?

Well it doesn't, at least not in any of the demos we've seen. Maybe it will in the full game, but so far it's behaved exactly like Call-of-Duty-style Wolverine healing, which hasn't been in any of the old games. In MGS3, assuming you have a full Stamina bar and no wounds, I think it takes two full minutes for your health bar to regenerate all the way, and I think MGS4's about the same. In this demo Big Boss just runs happily into streams of bullets and never bothered by them. I imagine that's because they set the demo on God mode so the player couldn't die on camera, but right now it's the only footage we have of a player being damaged in Ground Zeroes. Hopefully it won't be this way when the game comes out.

I wish they did a demo on Hard Mode, or at least a demo with the fully realised mechanics and without any easy stuff like God mode.

Betty

Banned
I think the quality of the game will speak for itself, eagerly looking forward to the reviews and gaf impressions.

cackhyena

I wish they did a demo on Hard Mode, or at least a demo with the fully realised mechanics and without any easy stuff like God mode.

Same. Love to see a pure stealth run, avoiding all contact with enemies as well. Have they addressed whether it's just infinite enemies when the base is on alert? Wondering if you could just sneak your way through and kill or tranq every single guy there if you wanted to.

Same. Love to see a pure stealth run, avoiding all contact with enemies as well.

Yeah, I think a variety of demos would showcase its open-ended nature that Kojima is talking about.

Have they addressed whether it's just infinite enemies when the base is on alert? Wondering if you could just sneak your way through and kill or tranq every single guy there if you wanted to.

Good question. I'm not sure. What are you hoping for?

Yes. There are bandages in the game universe to heal yourself with. There are rations to recover health which have been mainstays in the game since MGS1. Making a spray that magically heals you is redundant and technologically implausible, even by Kojima's cyborg arm standards.

jsnepo

I hope this game has the player prey upon enemies like MGS games prior to MGS4. It feels good to clear out a map of enemies without being detected. MGS4's infinite enemy respawns did not allow for this.

Betty

Banned
Yes. There are bandages in the game universe to heal yourself with. There are rations to recover health which have been mainstays in the game since MGS1. Making a spray that magically heals you is redundant and technologically implausible, even by Kojima's cyborg arm standards.

But lying still to recover health is totally legit, as is having time freeze so you can operate on yourself in 3?

cackhyena

I hope this game has the player prey upon enemies like MGS games prior to MGS4. It feels good to clear out a map of enemies without being detected. MGS4's infinite enemy respawns did not allow for this.
Really hope that isn't the case here. Would totally take the fun out of the stealth element.

jsnepo

Really hope that isn't the case here. Would totally take the fun out of the stealth element.

Why would it take the stealth element out if the pre-MGS4 MGS games have it and they are stealth games too? If you're worried about having the enemy encounters easier due to the OTS aiming then KojiPro can make the enemies tougher.

cackhyena

Why would it take the stealth element out if the pre-MGS4 MGS games have it and they are stealth games too? If you're worried about having the enemy encounters easier due to the OTS aiming then KojiPro can make the enemies tougher.
Oh no, I was agreeing with you. Just worded it wrong. Just saying I hope it wasn't what you were describing in mgs4.

jsnepo

Oh no, I was agreeing with you. Just worded it wrong. Just saying I hope it wasn't what you were describing in mgs4.

Oh sorry. Misunderstood you there. Yeah, the infinite respawns really forced players to just avoid enemies instead of dealing with them stealthly. I understand why KojiPro did that though. They needed a lasting warzone and I remember one time when Kojima visited Infinity Ward. He probably got the idea from them.

Oh sorry. Misunderstood you there. Yeah, the infinite respawns really forced players to just avoid enemies instead of dealing with them stealthly. I understand why KojiPro did that though. They needed a lasting warzone and I remember one time when Kojima visited Infinity Ward. He probably got the idea from them.
I loathed this about MGS4, spent about 5 minutes planning my way of taking the dudes out. Did it snook ahead and two more came out of a gap in the walls.

Sky Chief

All jokes aside, I was wondering if they are actually going to release a batch of missions now and then until The Phantom Pain releases. That would be awesome!

Pretty sure the exclusive missions will come to all consoles/versions before TPP is launched

I wouldn't be surprised if the large maps in TPP get supplied with new troops now and again. As long as they spawn in sensible places like roads at the edge of a map it should be ok.
Possibly GZ too, the map has 2 or 3 roads into the base that seem to cross a payable boundary wall, the truck&jeep use one of them in the daylight mission video

f3eb8defa32a8b5e62ddc8bf861299a7.jpg

8b0e01d9201fe184f4dc1b614d0b927e.jpg

ea0f177ac1095b2fb961cdfd33b192e8.jpg

371392db57eb16a6988b20cd983a5648.jpg

66bdfb21221ce59c8feaf80820b3ab7a.jpg

4df62296be51684bd3ec622ca62f8034.jpg

9baba47153a5e7af124a1f7f1fbac673.jpg

f0642185fe3c64edd1805fa1b54936c0.jpg

1f14827bd8cf1ffbbb3a1a362619c66b.jpg

65ffa55ce75d4198d141b1e2e4283e66.jpg

Some of these screens have been shown (recently, ripped from magazines), but at a much lower resolution.

Top Bottom