• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising's lead platform is PS3

duckroll

https://twitter.com/#!/PG_inaba/status/147104560442376192
https://twitter.com/#!/PG_inaba/status/147106129812520960
https://twitter.com/#!/PG_inaba/status/147106858484776960

Inaba has made a series of tweets clarifying the development status of Rising.

Bayonetta was developed only on the 360 at Platinum Games, while Vanquish was developed internally to be multiplatform. Since Vanquish, Platinum Games' engine has been designed to handle both PS3 and 360 versions of games, and the PS3 platform is always the lead platform to ensure there are minimal differences between both versions.

The 360 controllers you see in the Truth Behind Rising documentary video are connected to PCs on their development platform. It is easier to use 360 controllers natively on the PC than to use PS3 controllers. That is the only reason.

The lead platform for Rising is the PS3.

The_Monk

Awesome news, thank you sir.

I'm also hoping for a good Limited/Collector's Edition.

All I want is the game to be good to everyone, not like a Skyrim thing or something...!

Thoraxes

I can't remember the final word on how Vanquish was running on PS3 compared to Bayonetta ?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vanquish-face-off

In the final analysis, it's fair to say that these two titles are very, very close. Both are outstanding releases and are well worth buying regardless of which console you might happen to own. I played the game to completion on Xbox 360 and will almost certainly finish the fight on PS3 too - it's one of the few games I've covered where the repeat play has been absolutely joyous, feeling new and exciting on the second playthrough, as opposed to simply retreading the same gameplay I'd already worked through once. The enjoyment of this title evolves as your skill level increases, and that's why you'll keep coming back - even if the amount of campaign levels is a bit limited.

Platinum Games says that it developed on PS3 first and foremost, but it's testament to the developer's skill that v-sync is the only real differentiating factor between the lead platform and the 360 conversion, and there's still a sense that controller response may well be the tiniest bit crisper on the Microsoft console. If you own both machines and are wondering which to buy, it's a tough one to call overall but in my view, the v-sync implementation has to give the PS3 version the edge.

If there's one regret about this game it comes down to the lack of a PC version. While there's no doubting the quality of what we have on console, both sets of performance analysis prove pretty conclusively that the advanced rendering techniques Platinum employs can really tax the architecture of both platforms. At times, frame-rate can be an issue. A PC port with the opportunity for a sustained 1080p60 really would be something very, very special...

Not surprising. Platinum learned their lesson with Bayonetta and somewhat redeemed themselves with Vanquish.

For them to revert back to the wrong way of doing multiplatform after that would be pretty idiotic.

Eusis

Not surprising. Platinum learned their lesson with Bayonetta and somewhat redeemed themselves with Vanquish.

For them to revert back to the wrong way of doing multiplatform after that would be pretty idiotic.
Thing is I recall Vanquish's lead platform was PS3, or at least it had a slight advantage there. More important though BOTh are still developed internally by them, where Bayonetta went wrong was they focused on 360 and let Sega port it to PS3 themselves.

Nizz

Thanks for posting this, duckroll. This is great news indeed! Both versions should turn out great.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
PS3 version it is then. Vanquish runs a bit better on PS3 and, yes, i double dipped it.

Satchel

Banned
Wow, I never knew the PS3 edged out the 360 version of Vanquish. I bought the PS3 version simply because it was an SP focused shooter, and my PS3 library was crying out for more games.

So I picked up Vanquish for cheap on the PS3. Glad I have the 'better' version.

Awesome game.

Hopefully Revengeance performs as well as Vanquish. I'll most likely buy the PS3 version, but not sure.

Frankfurt

Banned
I'm always baffled when people argue about this stuff. Unless it's a Bayonetta scenario where the game is ported by a monkey, this kind of stuff is such a small issue.

Ra1den

I'm always baffled when people argue about this stuff. Unless it's a Bayonetta scenario where the game is ported by a monkey, this kind of stuff is such a small issue.

This is not true. Subpar PS3 ports are fairly commonplace. Going with PS3 as the lead platform is the right thing to do.

JohngPR

Huh, for some reason I never thought of this.

I'm glad that it's lead platform on PS3 then, since I still have MGS: Rising pre-ordered from Amazon on PS3.

Satchel

Banned

In all honesty, I mostly agree, but situations like Bayonetta, Skyrim, Red Dead etc. just shouldn't happen this many years into the generation.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This doesn't guarantee anything, but it's nice to know that my only option is receiving a good amount of attention. It's gonna be running at 60fps so I have no major concerns.

Salaadin

Huh, for some reason I never thought of this.

I'm glad that it's lead platform on PS3 then, since I still have MGS: Rising pre-ordered from Amazon on PS3.
Oh that's right, I do too. 5 dollar Rising only credit from the HD collection as well.
This makes me happy. both versions should be near equal

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Seems logical. PS3 version should be the better seller also, so makes sense to focus on getting that version right.

Kajiba

Thats good. Still gonna get the 360 version. Hopefully its getting ported by the same people. Better not get bayo ps3 shit. Ugh.

But i dont think hideo will let that happen.

Edit: Vanquish ports were perfect. So yeah nothing really to worry about.

LiK

Thats good. Still gonna get the 360 version. Hopefully its getting ported by the same people. Better not get bayo ps3 shit. Ugh.

But i dont think hideo will let that happen.

Vanquish on 360 was fine. there should be no major differences unless they screw it up.

Top Bottom