• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 2 is a Masterpiece

SkylineRKR

It is. The atmosphere and absurdness is peak MGS to me. And the game is eerily foretelling. Intended or not, but the influence of fake news does change our perception. Ofcourse, propaganda has always existed, but not digitally and via social networks.

Its the first postmodern game isn't it. Unreliable narrator and it breaks what it builds. There is no absolute truth here. The game's narrative has had a major impact on me, I think its one of the most important ones.

Last edited:
I’d love a remake of 1 and 2. Definitely agree the second is better, but fir those old enough to remember, the original MG (ok, original PS MG) was something completely new and different. It really was a revolution in gaming.

VulcanRaven

i was told this by 2 speedrunner of the hdc. It might be in the Digital Foundry video too, but I believe it's correct that the res on last gen xbox displayed the hdc at 1080.

edit: check to see if you can find any sources or confirmation on your end.
This Eurogamer article says that it was 720p on both PS3 and 360:

Someone on Reddit said this:

"The Xbox One S will play all backwards compatible Xbox 360 games at the same resolution they ran on the Xbox 360. However, you will get faster loading, more stable framerates, and the elimination of screen tear.

The Xbox One X supports higher quality texture filtering, and higher resolutions on select "X enhanced" titles. These features are not available on the Xbox One S, because they require the faster GPU."

Would be great if it got Xbox One X enhancements like the old Splinter Cell games did.

Last edited:
No lies detected

MGS 2 Sons of liberty >>>>> MGS 3 Snake eater.

As a standalone story, I think MGS 3 is stronger narratively and emotionally.

As a blow-your-fucking-mind-up game, MGS 2 takes the cake all day.

I always tell anyone that's never played them that MGS1-3 could all be argued equally as awesome. I loved MGS4 but it didn't wreck me like the trilogy did.

Last edited:

PooBone

It's not my favorite MGS game, maybe my least favorite of the numbered entries, but the impact it had when I played that ending for the first time was undeniably one of the most jaw-dropping, mind-blowing experience I've ever had with a game.

I recently played 2 last year and really enjoyed it, it holds up extremely well. I will say I'm a bit biased on my opinion of 4, mainly because it was my first MGS game (I'm young I know).

It could have been good if the people in charge of the plot knew how to write.

Meanwhile, it pales greatly to the master piece that is Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, or even Hitman 2: Silent Assassin.

begotten

Is it an actual "masterpiece" or is it a video gamers' skewed understanding of the word "masterpiece"? Big difference.

I agree it's the latter, since 100s of those exist these days, but in reality you'll be lucky to pick a handful of games, ever, that literally warrant the definition of masterpiece.

Birdo

Banned
The end part dragged a bit, but I enjoyed the rest of the game.

I miss little well-designed game worlds. Everything needs a 10000km map these days.

Top Bottom