• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 2 is a Masterpiece

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

An insane deep diving retrospective about Metal Gear Solid 2, it’s creator, inspirations, characters, themes and story.
Also a lot of my own personal experiences with the game and fan theory conjuring done since 2001. Basically everything I’ve ever wanted to say about MGS2 over the years

Metal Gear Solid 2 is a memetic, prophetic absurd, surreal masterpiece that’s holds a special place in my heart, and we’re going to look at every angle of this Bizarre Adventure.

It sure is. Was just reading about the movie news today and watching mgs2 videos on YouTube earlier.

mEYHDLe.jpg

Last edited:

Bombolone

Gold Member
Hated 3 and onward. Focus on big boss killed my interest. 1 and 2 are two of my all time greats. Such stunning packages, there is just something special about it. Time and place.
Will have to set aside some time for the video.

Hated 3 and onward. Focus on big boss killed my interest. 1 and 2 are two of my all time greats. Such stunning packages, there is just something special about it. Time and place.
Will have to set aside some time for the video.
Why did Big Boss killed your interest? He is Snake i mean Snake is Him they clone him so Solid Snake is basically him so why did Big Boss killed your interest their the same person him and Snake lol

Dr_Salt

Throughout the years I've reached the conclusion that the second one is actually the best of the whole saga. When I first played them I believed the third one was my favorite but tbh the ending to MGS2 is such an incredible masterpiece that it trumps all.

The sneaking soundtrack is also godlike. Nothing better than sneaking around with this masterpiece in the background.

Aggelos

Guys, MGS2's unveil back at E3 2000 for PS2, was such a monumental event, that Konami Japan released a DVD called "MGS2 The Trailer" .

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

And of course, be bound to remember how Kojima hid Raiden from the MGS2 E3 2001 trailer, and everyone thought that they would be playing as Solid Snake throughout the (entire) game

Also be sure to remember how MGS2 submerged after E3 2001 (i.e. media blackout, no more interviews etc). Why? Well Kojima explained it.

""When I was flying back from E3 in May, I was really worried," admits Kojima. "Not worried in the sense that we might not be able to finish the game. I was worried that it would be absolutely impossible for us to finish Metal Gear Solid 2 this year, the year of the snake." Hidden behind closed doors for most of the year as part of a self-imposed media and communications blackout, Kojima says that what happened behind the scenes was a frantic race to realize the impossible. "I must tell you, I was sitting here in June and thinking that no matter how hard anyone on the team could work we would not finish the game this year. And that was the toughest point in my 15 years in the game industry." "

Last edited:

A.Romero

Dayum.

Although you have to admit, it eerily predicted this time.

That's right. It's crazy how forward looking it was.

I don't know if they were original ideas but at least for me it was the first time that I thought about all that.

I really think MGS2 is something special.

Narratively it's wonderful. Mechanically it never lived up to the potential of the demo. Big Shell was monotonous and most of the bosses were terrible. We'll never see a surprise like that again and you can see that influence on games like Halo 2 and The Last of Us 2.
Sooo, Abby will be a android killing machine in LoU3!?

DogofWar

This is indeed a true masterpiece, and the only game who's story grows on me everytime I play it, instead of discovering flaws.

Also my most "wow" moment graphics wise in video game history was the first MGS2 trailer. I could not believe my eyes how good it looked. To think it is almost 20 years old now makes me almost scared.

Also contains the biggest mindfuck-moment in any video game.

I NEED SCISSORS. 61!

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Best video game ever, no kidding.

I played it like ~25 times on PS2 and then platinumed PS3 version (hard as fuck).

Reactions: MrS

INC

Raiden is a bitch, hence why they gave him high heels in every game after

I'll never forget the feeling when I realised I had to play as raiden for the whole game, soul destroying

Still scarred from it still now

One of the best opening sections in a game ever, competently ruined after that

Not to say I dislike mgs2, I personally think the structure, map layout and bosses are th best in the series

I just hate raiden

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I remember when I first played the game, I didn’t know what 60fps was, all I knew was I really enjoyed the smoothness of the game. The controls were awesome especially when compared to MGS 1.
Oh shit is that what it was!? I always remember saying the graphics in mgs2 were amazing and the game just had this extra awesome quality to it that other games didn’t. So it was 60 FPS even at release? I had no idea!

And yes the controls were phenomenal. Mastering the controls made you feel tactical bc they were complicated, yet intuitive and so so satisfying. I always loved the industrial setting of the shell too, so perfect for metal gear.

after watching the interview with the director I have a bit more confidence in the movie bring decent. But I’m not letting myself get too excited

Dayum.

Although you have to admit, it eerily predicted this time.

Colonel: The digital society furthers human flaws and selectively rewards development of convenient half-truths. Just look at the strange juxtapositions of morality around you.
Rose: Billions spent on new weapons in order to humanely murder other humans.
Colonel: Rights of criminals are given more respect than the privacy of their victims.
Rose: Although there are people suffering in poverty, huge donations are made to protect endangered species. Everyone grows up being told the same thing.
Colonel: Be nice to other people.
Rose: But beat out the competition!
Colonel: "You're special." "Believe in yourself and you will succeed."
Rose: But it's obvious from the start that only a few can succeed...
Colonel: You exercise your right to "freedom" and this is the result. All rhetoric to avoid conflict and protect each other from hurt. The untested truths spun by different interests continue to churn and accumulate in the sandbox of political correctness and value systems.
Rose: Everyone withdraws into their own small gated community, afraid of a larger forum. They stay inside their little ponds, leaking whatever "truth" suits them into the growing cesspool of society at large.
Colonel: The different cardinal truths neither clash nor mesh. No one is invalidated, but nobody is right.
Rose: Not even natural selection can take place here. The world is being engulfed in "truth."
Colonel: And this is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.
Metal Gear Solid 2 - Sons of Liberty (2001)

Shits real...

Kev Kev

Colonel: The digital society furthers human flaws and selectively rewards development of convenient half-truths. Just look at the strange juxtapositions of morality around you.
Rose: Billions spent on new weapons in order to humanely murder other humans.
Colonel: Rights of criminals are given more respect than the privacy of their victims.
Rose: Although there are people suffering in poverty, huge donations are made to protect endangered species. Everyone grows up being told the same thing.
Colonel: Be nice to other people.
Rose: But beat out the competition!
Colonel: "You're special." "Believe in yourself and you will succeed."
Rose: But it's obvious from the start that only a few can succeed...
Colonel: You exercise your right to "freedom" and this is the result. All rhetoric to avoid conflict and protect each other from hurt. The untested truths spun by different interests continue to churn and accumulate in the sandbox of political correctness and value systems.
Rose: Everyone withdraws into their own small gated community, afraid of a larger forum. They stay inside their little ponds, leaking whatever "truth" suits them into the growing cesspool of society at large.
Colonel: The different cardinal truths neither clash nor mesh. No one is invalidated, but nobody is right.
Rose: Not even natural selection can take place here. The world is being engulfed in "truth."
Colonel: And this is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.
Metal Gear Solid 2 - Sons of Liberty (2001)

Shits real...
I think about this convo all the time when I look around at the world today

Kojima was scary accurate with his predictions. Pretty wild stuff

It was mind-blowing at its time. I remember, as a kid, I almost fainted when intro started to play. And still, it is best intro I ever witnessed. But not gonna lie, had no clue wtf was going on with the story haha.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
When I was 12 I was indifferent on it.

When I was 18 I roasted on it and said it was trash.

When I was 25 I realised it was Kojima's true magnum opus.
I never gave the game a second chance like you did, because I hated my first and only time with it with a passion. I still hate the very thought.

MGS2 being so influential has been a problem for gaming, more than it’s been a blessing.
I still maintain that this game single-handedly swerved the whole AAA industry towards cutscene-filled corridors, military themes and chromatic monotony for a whole generation, and its effects are still felt today. A big part of what made games games died (or at least was put mostly apart) with MGS2. The biggest irony being that MGS2 still has more gameplay potential than many games that followed in its trail.

The final big speech of the game, momentous as it is, wasn’t worth the long hours of trolling and the slew of characters that wouldn’t make the cut for a bottom-tier superhero comic issue. Also, I can’t wrap my mind around the fact that people seriously seem to think that Kojima came up with all of that by himself. Even on forums where people will nitpick for hours on any single piece of popular culture and lament the widespread ignorance of history, it’s like Kojima is one of the greatest philosophers of our times.

VulcanRaven

One of my favorite PS2 games. I hope they release the HD Collection on current consoles at some point.

E3 2000 trailer in 60fps:

Last edited:

John2290

Exactly. It wasn't until 2005 and God of War that i was able to find a game again that lived up to it even slightly, it was that mind blowing at the time. It was so far ahead of everything else that came out in the early PS2 days in quality, It was a marvel.

No shit here or hyperbole, between '98 and the release of MGS4, i completed MGS1 and MGS2 each, over two dozen times recorded and probably closer to 60 when I my OCD wasn't bad and i missed a few loggings here and there. They are two games that i know like the back of my hand, every nook and cranny and all that but credit to MGS2, when i play it, even after all the completions the Shell section still surprises me with it's story progression. I'm always thinking "Awe, yeah. This happens, I forgot about that" and more to it's credit, i still don't fully understand it, it's ending and all the lore Kojima crammed it, that said, i'd really have preferred he left it there and didn't progress the series into the future, MGS4 was a let down and while MGS5 had great gameplay and very nearly created a perfect closed loop back to the first metal Gear game it didn't and they went for that shitty twist ending and it too let down the closure on the series. MGS2 is still the perfect metal gear game and as close to perfect as a game gets in my opinion even though games have beaten it more recently for me, it's still few and far between.

Last edited:

John2290

It was mind-blowing at its time. I remember, as a kid, I almost fainted when intro started to play. And still, it is best intro I ever witnessed. But not gonna lie, had no clue wtf was going on with the story haha.
You almost fainted from the coolness of it? I didn't know that could happen.

VulcanRaven

The best place to play the mgs collection is on the ps3 right? i remember it had a collection with mgs1 to mgs4
That is true because it has all the games until that point. Xbox 360 versions of MGS2 and 3 run a bit better though. They have more stable 60fps and they also work on Xbox One.

it's playable on xbox series x/s. mgs3 might crash during the bike scene. 2 runs perfectly.

I know but a new remaster would be better. Those are only 720p.

Last edited:
Top Bottom