• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D demo on eShop this week

Wolfe

The 3D is really weird in this game. Sometimes it looks great (no ghosting, no drop in image quality), but other times it looks completely flat.

I liked how it played, but it's not enough to support Kojima for the lazy, lazy port.

Hey cool bro, didn't know you got the final build with your demo.

disco

Having never played MGS3 before I must say, I really like the controls. Pressing down to stand up is a bit confusing though but I got used to it. Loved the camera mapped to XYAB.

Though overall the demo is quite poor. Solid game, initially thought the graphics were quite good, they kind of just got worse. When the 3D effect was completely abandoned on the bridge - I was embarrassed. Dear god Konami, you are lazy. The final product better not be this broken.

I did, however, like the 3D Naked Snake that you could play with. I think the 3D qualities of the 3DS and it's clamshell design really create a sense of immersion as though you have some kind of stealth gadget in your hands. I get a similar feeling when I load up Pokedex 3D - you feel as though you actually own a Pokedex.

I will no doubt buy this game as it'll help waste some time between possibly buying Kid Icarus and then I dunno? Luigi's Mansion 2?

I would take Edge's word/score for it(whatever words they are) but for me, they missed the boat on Revelations.

I downloaded this demo but haven't played it yet.

Not concerned too much about framerate and all that as I have perspective of it perhaps not being an indication of the final build but then again, many games nowadays are glitchy and buggy as fuck and they get a free pass from the media.

Surely some reviewers will make light of the technical problems if the game has them though.

kunonabi

Played the demo and I have no problem with the face buttons for the camera. I don't like crouching and action buttons on the dpad though. I would rather have those on the touch screen. Did anybody else notice a weird shift when going into first person aiming, similar to turning the 3D on and off with the slider?

Bottom line: Fix the framerate and I will buy it. Crouch walking, no more pressure sensitive cqc, 3D, and the surround sound with headphones is enough for me to double dip.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Having never played MGS3 before I must say, I really like the controls. Pressing down to stand up is a bit confusing though but I got used to it. Loved the camera mapped to XYAB.

You can just tap anywhere on the screen to toggle stand/crouch/crawl stances if Dpad down is too far away.

Hale-XF11

OK, my own thoughts....

- CPP works great! Controls are very fluid.

- Why in the hell does 3D turn off whenever I switch into FPS mode? Why would I want this to happen? I want 3D to stay on! It's really messing with my eyes. There doesn't appear to be an option to fix this in the menu either. I really hope there's an option in the final version to keep 3D on, because this is a potential game breaker for me personally. It's hard enough trying to make things out with all the foliage around.

- 3D effect is solid. I love seeing the trees and leaves passing in front of my eyes as I move around.

- Aliasing seems no different or worse than most 3DS games, so that doesn't bother me a bit.

- Sneaking around feels pretty good for the most part.

- Cut-scene framerate is terribad (though not in all scenes), but tolerable I suppose.

- At the bridge and again, what's with the game turning 3D off on its own? Makes no sense whatsoever and it messes with my eyes. I wish the 3D effect would remain on.

- I know I'm probably spoiled by Revelaitons, but the lack of animations when I shoot people until they're dead really leaves a lot to be desired.

I want this game, but I need to know before I make a purchase if the final version allows for the 3D effect to be on while in FPS mode. This really bothers me.

hatchx

Banned
- At the bridge and again, what's with the game turning 3D off on its own? Makes no sense whatsoever and it messes with my eyes. I wish the 3D effect would remain on.

This must be a demo thing. That is ridiculous if true.

I'm downloading the demo now.

Anyone know what the deal is with the Mario Bros. update? It updated for me....but what changes?

- Why in the hell does 3D turn off whenever I switch into FPS mode? Why would I want this to happen? I want 3D to stay on! It's really messing with my eyes. There doesn't appear to be an option to fix this in the menu either. I really hope there's an option in the final version to keep 3D on, because this is a potential game breaker for me personally. It's hard enough trying to make things out with all the foliage around.

Trust me, you WOULDN'T want to aim in FPS with 3D on. You don't do it in real life. There are explanations on the last page for that.

Hale-XF11

Trust me, you WOULDN'T want to aim in FPS with 3D on. You don't do it in real life. There are explanations on the last page for that.

Yes, actually, I would like to aim in 3D. It was a godsend in Revelaitons. When the 3D turns off, my eyes wonk out and the lack of depth makes everything blend together. Horrible. Gah, I suppose I understand, what with using one eye to aim, but I'd still rather have 3D.

randomwab

Lots of negativity in this thread. I really liked the demo, even though I just replayed Snake Eater in HD over the weekend. I'm not using a CPP so going in, I was cautious of how it would control, but I think it's fine. Framerate is indeed bad, but it never got in the way for me.

Basically sold me on the port. I'll definitely be picking this up.

.hacked

+1 for the CPP

3d is enough to get me to play through this one again, glad it passed on the PS3/X360 release.

whitehawk

Banned
Completely turned off by the demo.

Controls are clunky. The Framerate is unacceptable. (especially during cutscenes). No 3D in FPS mode?

RE:Revelations did 3rd person control right, this is how you do it wrong.

Yes, actually, I would like to aim in 3D. It was a godsend in Revelaitons. When the 3D turns off, my eyes wonk out and the lack of depth makes everything blend together. Horrible. Gah, I suppose I understand, what with using one eye to aim, but I'd still rather have 3D.

I liked aiming in RE:R in 3D with the normal Weapons (Laserpointer) but not with the Sniper rifle where you are aiming through the iron sights / scope.

It will be interesting how other games handle this. FPS particularly.

I tried it and I didn't rike it.
I don't like the fact it looks like a slideshow at times, I didn't like the 3D which kind of stutters when you change views, 3DS buttons felt weirder to me than PSP's buttons for the control scheme (maybe it'll be better with CC Pro) and I hate the fact that when you want to shoot, the bullet is shot when you release the shoulder button, and not when you press it. It might sound ridiculous, but that's kind of a game-breaker to me.

(Yes I know that you shot when you realeased the square button in the PS2 version, but it was a different control scheme altogheter).

Thoraxes

This is a pretty nice demo. Never played MGS3 before, and I've gotta say that this camouflage mechanic is super neat.

The game is pretty and the sound design is lovely as well. Game controls nicely with the CCP and the 3D is great, too, if a bit strong.

They've definitely won a preorder from me.

Can't say I have much of a problem with the framerate, either.

Get it from Amazon yo, you get a $10 giftcard from them.

Also the demo was ehhhh, but i'm a whore for MGS games, so naturally I buy them on every platform no matter what. Also my CCPro should be here in the mail any minute now.

Cool, forgot that the demo existed. Gonna try it out tonight. I don't have any plans to buy this though, because I can get the MGS Collection for cheaper

Honestly hope this was just a crap demo put out. I think its terrible atm tbh, poor graphics and a lack of imagination when it came to the controls.

We are slightly spoiled by Resident Evil Revelations but honestly some of this demo was some pretty dire quality for such a major franchise.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
- Why in the hell does 3D turn off whenever I switch into FPS mode? Why would I want this to happen?
uqvxR.jpg

More realistic.

uqvxR.jpg

More realistic.

I get that, but at the same time it's pretty jarring for the game to switch back and forth on its own from 3D to 2D. Will take some getting used to.

So is it just me, or is the right stick on the CPP not analog control for this? Like holding it to the right at any degree makes it just do the same "slow start, then speeds up" like with the button camera controls? And there's only 8 directions the camera moves in?

Hopefully that's fixed in the final version...

All in all, I wasn't terribly impressed with the demo, but I'm holding out hope that this really is just the earlier build and EDGE was right and the final game is much better.

Medalion

Banned
3D is alright, framerate in cutscenes is atrocious but in the level itself is passable

Have to get used to controls first

I think the game's quality shines through the poor controls and the awful framerate. I've found myself playing it a few times over the course of the evening.

The fact that I have my import copy of the HD Collection waiting at home means that this won't get a look in, I'm afraid.

Still can't believe that EDGE quote, either.

Get it from Amazon yo, you get a $10 giftcard from them.

Also the demo was ehhhh, but i'm a whore for MGS games, so naturally I buy them on every platform no matter what. Also my CCPro should be here in the mail any minute now.

Ooh, I didn't know that! Thankfully, I haven't preordered it anywhere yet, so woooooooooo. :D

Jb

Man, MGS3 is one of my all time favorites but I did not enjoy that demo at all :( Due to the heavy aliasing when playing in 3D the grass actually hurts my eyes, the framerate is poor and the controls are far from great (how do you roll in this version? I tried double tapping down on the D pad but it didn't work). More problematic is that it was already challenging at times to see enemy patrols on a TV, but on a screen that small I bet a lot of newcomers will quickly get frustrated by the game.

I'd love for these issues to be fixed in the retail game, but even then I don't think I'll triple dip.

farnham

Banned
played the game with CCP (played the japanese demo without)

and holy shit the game becomes better with the CCP its unbelievable.

hatchx

Banned
Just played the demo. Really having a hard time with the controls. Then again, the first 3-4 hours of MGS3 on PS2 I was battling with the controls. Aiming with the face buttons is really weird, but I don't know how else they could have done it. They should have allowed Vanilla MGS3 as an option.

It's a lot of little things. Why does 'R' initiate a CQC grab, and when the enemy is unconscious, 'R' doesn't grab them? I have to press D-pad up? Using the D-Pad to climb and jump over things feels weird.

How does the CCpro work?

The graphics are good enough for me. The framerate is not a huge bother, apparently it is better in final game.

I'm sort of on the fence. I don't think I'll pick this up until the 3DS hits some sort of drought and I can get it for cheap.

With the CPP its much more playable. Just did my first full play through... The framerate quibbles are definitely over stated as they're only at their most obvious during one or two cut scenes. I actually really like the menus and survival viewer screen.... Someone said the framerate drops when viewing snakes 3d model, which is clearly a lie - it looks great..

I have no idea what the fuck they were thinking with those bridge controls though, and the first person jump to 2d is definitely jarring.

I tried to grab a copy of edge to get more of the review text for you guys but there's no stock in my local store..

TheNatural

My Member!
My answer was with my tongue in my cheek. None got that, :(

I GOT IT I GOT IT.

Because like, he totally can't see 3D, because you can't see 3D with one eye, and when you're playing in FPS mode you're looking through his eyes .. I mean eye.

What do I win?

With the CCPro do the face buttons go back to regular controls. Duck, punch, CGC, etc?

For the most part, yeah. I believe punch/CQC are still mapped to the shoulder buttons by default. I think X is reload....I haven't had a chance to play the demo much yet, someone else can probably answer better.

hatchx

Banned
For the most part, yeah. I believe punch/CQC are still mapped to the shoulder buttons by default. I think X is reload....I haven't had a chance to play the demo much yet, someone else can probably answer better.

This is such a hard choice.

I could get MGS2, MGS3, and Peacewalker on one disc, in HD, with dual analog controls, on PS3, for less money than MGS3D + CCPro. Is this right?

played the game with CCP (played the japanese demo without)

and holy shit the game becomes better with the CCP its unbelievable.

CCP: The Miracle Peripheral

This is such a hard choice.

I could get MGS2, MGS3, and Peacewalker on one disc, in HD, with dual analog controls, on PS3, for less money than MGS3D + CCPro. Is this right?

yes, but the CCP can be used to enhance other games though. RE:R is amazing with it!

OmegaZero

For those who are wondering, CPP controls:
-L and R switch weapons and items.
-The d-pad functions the same as vanilla controls.
-B is to change stances.
-X is to do an action.
-ZL is to aim.
-ZR is to attack/CQC grab/roll.
-Y changes the aiming view (like the touchscreen toggle).
-X resets your character's position.

Hale-XF11

With the CCPro do the face buttons go back to regular controls. Duck, punch, CGC, etc?

CPP controls are as follows:

LZ - Aim
LB - Item menu

RZ - Fire weapon while aiming/Normal stance: hand-to-hand/CQC
RB - Weapon menu

A - Reset character direction
B - Change stance
X - Action/reload
Y - Aim mode

D up - Action/reload
D down - Change stance
D left - Item toggle
D right - Weapon toggle

Left circle pad - Move character
Right circle pad - Move camera

Start - Survival viewer

edit: beaten, lol

I already have the HD Collection, but that's not really affecting my decision whether or not to purchase this.

What IS affecting it is the fact that the HD Collection is coming to Vita...

Top Bottom