• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D demo on eShop this week

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
Just downloaded

framerate isn't the best and my CPP is at home so will have to wait on that to play properly, but the 3D.. probably some of the best I have seen on the system so far... as you are going through the trees etc and the leaves/branches come out at you

Put the 3D slider down to zero and it looks like ass, but in 3D it's almost convinced me to buy it day one

That's odd. I feel the opposite. The 3D was just painful to me. First time that I've ever experienced any 3D related discomfort too!

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Now that's hardcore failure, that crap ran at 60fps on the PS2.

Haha like I said, for anyone that's played and tolerated Peace Walker's performance and "stability" then they'll be right at home with this game.

Sadist

Full 3D feels like Pilotwings Resort, mah eyes. Put the 3D slider a nudge back and it's pleasing.

Btw, I'm no MGS expert (Own the PSone game which I like, played through the Twin Snakes and played a bit of 4) but the controls without the CPP, are those Peace Walker controls? No offense towards Konami, but come on: who actually thought that controlling the camera with the face buttons is a good idea? I mean really. When I do get the game, I'm playing it with the CPP.

Sophia

Btw, I'm no MGS expert (Own the PSone game which I like, played through the Twin Snakes and played a bit of 4) but the controls without the CPP, are those Peace Walker controls? No offense towards Konami, but come on: who actually thought that controlling the camera with the face buttons is a good idea? I mean really. When I do get the game, I'm playing it with the CPP.

Those are indeed the same controls as Peace Walker. And it's as every bit terrible here as it was there. Now with the added benefit of MGS3's shitty color-scheme and what I can presume is head-ache inducing 3D.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Haha like I said, for anyone that's played and tolerated Peace Walker's performance and "stability" then they'll be right at home with this game.
Yeah, but that was a case where people put up with limitations of the system to play a game that existed nowhere else. Now that the HD version of PW is available I can't go back to the original PSP version. The controls were poor and the framerate rather low.

No offense towards Konami, but come on: who actually thought that controlling the camera with the face buttons is a good idea?
You could switch movement to the face buttons and use the stick in Peace Walker. Isn't that an option here?

That's how shooters worked on Dreamcast. ;) I finished MDK2 using the DC pad (face buttons for movement, stick for look). Felt like shit but it worked well enough. :p

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Just played it(sans CPP) and I am a bit disappointed. I have to admit bias as this is my favorite game in the series, but there are noticeable frame rate issues as well as iffy controls.

I really think they should have made the camera how it was in MGS2/3 because often times I found myself forgetting to use the face buttons for camera adjustment due to the awkwardness of it. If only the D-Pad buttons could be applied to the face buttons and vice versa, possibly a better set up. Or if they're so keen on using the Gyroscope, why not use it to pan the area like standard MGS3 did?

I hope this plays a lot better with the CPP and the demo is an old build because otherwise it just feels like a game that only strives for 80%.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The 3D is really weird in this game. Sometimes it looks great (no ghosting, no drop in image quality), but other times it looks completely flat.

I liked how it played, but it's not enough to support Kojima for the lazy, lazy port.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Yeah, but that was a case where people put up with limitations of the system to play a game that existed nowhere else. Now that the HD version of PW is available I can't go back to the original PSP version. The controls were poor and the framerate rather low.
You could switch movement to the face buttons and use the stick in Peace Walker. Isn't that an option here?

That's how shooters worked on Dreamcast. ;) I finished MDK2 using the DC pad (face buttons for movement, stick for look). Felt like shit but it worked well enough. :p

Yeah, that's what I was saying before. If you've got one of the five platforms capable of playing MGS3 that aren't 3DS, then go for those.

And nah, I haven't noticed an option to switch to different control schemes in the options menu besides CPP.

Never played the original (wasn't into PS2) so I am very interested in this. I might have to buy a Slide Pad Pro (if I can even find one, most Gamestops are out in my area) for this. 1 stick is hard to handle for these games.

GWX

Quick impressions:

I don't have a CPP yet, and the default controls without it suck balls. Every freaking action (besides shooting/rolling) is executed with the D-Pad and the camera is controlled with the face buttons. It's horrible, a freaking nightmare. Peace Walker have the same default control skin, seriously? Then I'm glad I never played that game.

The visuals... eh. It looks okay, I guess, and the 3D is good (although is way too strong with the 3D depth slider all the way up - somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot for me). I can't see shit, though: I mean, I can't see enemies that are like 10 meters away from me. Way too dark. The framerate is horrible, as expected (old build and all).

Yeah, don't even bother with this demo. The final version may be solid (as the EDGE review points out), but this is pure crap. I don't know why Konami even bothered to release this.

Sadist

Those are indeed the same controls as Peace Walker. And it's as every bit terrible here as it was there. Now with the added benefit of MGS3's shitty color-scheme and what I can presume is head-ache inducing 3D.
Well the 3D at max power is a bit to powerfull. But put it a notch down and its cool imo. Btw, I want to congratulate everyone on finishing PW on PSP. Damn.

You could switch movement to the face buttons and use the stick in Peace Walker. Isn't that an option here? That's how shooters worked on Dreamcast. ;) I finished MDK2 using the DC pad (face buttons for movement, stick for look). Felt like shit but it worked well enough. :p
I have no idea. I just fiddled around just for the fun of it, but after all the awkwardness I decided to switch back to CPP controls. It's so much better, it's not even funny. If you have the CPP, I'll be honest: this 3DS version will be fun. But without it? Eh.

This is a pretty nice demo. Never played MGS3 before, and I've gotta say that this camouflage mechanic is super neat.

The game is pretty and the sound design is lovely as well. Game controls nicely with the CCP and the 3D is great, too, if a bit strong.

They've definitely won a preorder from me.

Can't say I have much of a problem with the framerate, either.

Ridley327

I should mention that I'm really glad they brought back mapping the roll to the attack button; I have no idea why they got rid of that on the console version of Peace Walker, but I vastly prefer it that way.

I'm not much of an MGS3 fan even though I played through the original on PS2, but I'm trying out this demo right now with the CPP since it's free after all.

-RE:R's gyroscope aiming has spoiled me. Not liking having to use the right circle pad to aim, but it otherwise works as it should and you can change the sensitivity.
-Frame rate is... bearable.
-The top screen is clean of HUD elements which is actually really nice. Really helps with the immersion.
-Really like their use of the touch screen.
-L and R buttons are hard to press because of CPP, but the same functions for those buttons are also binded to L and R D-pad respectively.

Am I the only one who doesn't see ANY 3D in this game?

Full on Pilotwings-esque 3D for me, sort of too much but I got used to it. Only time I didn't get 3D was when using first-person mode for aiming the gun :/

Personally it doesn't seem like the best fit for 3D. The colour scheme along with the relatively meh (IMO) graphics just produces this green/brown mess that doesn't even run at 30fps.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. Guessing the final release might actually be better.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
It's cool that you can touch the screen to toggle stances instead of using the Dpad. Though it would have been better if camera control was on the touchscreen and the face buttons worked the same as they did in the original, sans the pressure-sensitive stuff.

Emitan

The controls are weird, but I kind of liked it. Might pick this up in a sale because I've never played it before.

Veal

I also noticed a weird glitch. When aiming in first person with either the MK11 or the XM16 the game turns off 3D, yet it remains 3D when aiming in first person with the knife equipped.
That's apparently not a glitch. It's supposed to turn off the 3D effects when the gyroscope is used so the screen doesn't spaz out on the player. I wish Capcom had done something like that for RE:R to be honest.

First time I really played any MGS (I know) and I quite liked it. Got to the end and only got noticed once. Was fun an I will surely replay it.

FPS aiming (without a laser pointer!) in 2D is the RIGHT way to do it. If you have tried to aim in RE:R with a sniper rifle, you'd know that. Plus in reality, you would also only use one eye to aim, so no 3D is natural and practical.

I am also missing Gyro aiming, since it was the perfect way to control RE:R for me. CPP is nice to have.

Will buy the game for sure.

Am I the only one who doesn't see ANY 3D in this game?

The 3D turns itself off randomly for me. Mostly when aiming in first person with a gun, but not even then does it turn off all the time. Seems to be a glitch I'd say.

That's apparently not a glitch. It's supposed to turn off the 3D effects when the gyroscope is used so the screen doesn't spaz out on the player. I wish Capcom had done something like that for RE:R to be honest.

A shame as they could've introduced this going to 2D in first person mode later in the game for story related reasons lol^^

KillGore

Oh man:

- 3D is too strong in my opinion, it's the first game to ever make my eyes explode.
- Framerate could be better. In game framerate isn't SO bad, but man...those cutscene framrates...
-Bottom touchscreen is very neat, makes the game more immersive since you don't have to pause as much
-Why the heck does the 3D turn off when it's in first person mode and aiming? horrible, horrible, horrible.
- Peace walker controls have always felt good, not analog stick good but better than expected, so no need for the circle pad pro.

All in all, I would buy it as an MGS fan but I'll just continue playing the PS3 version. Not a very good build IMO.

Played through it once, it was ok. Play through it again with 3D on, once you go past the
middle of the 3D level, it gets better. On low, there's bearly any 3D at all. Also the 3D isn't
even finished!

Put 3D on, then aim and put on first person. There's no 3D in first person at all and if you
have it on high, it destroys your eyes as the images come together. Terrible how someone
missed that.

-Why the heck does the 3D turn off when it's in first person mode and aiming? horrible, horrible, horrible.

NO NO NO! It is not horrible! Just think about it: In reality, you also use just one eye to aim down a scope. why? because otherwise you couldn't aim correctly as you would see the gun twice.

Zomba13

Just played this. Wow this was a short short demo. The frame rate was pretty bad, especially in cutscenes. I like how it turns the 3D off when aiming in first person mode. In RE:R it made the sniper rifle impossible to use in 3D because the cross-hair was like, a 2D image.

I used the CPP and the controls were alright.

Oddduck

Konami should be ashamed of themselves for releasing an old demo of this game. It's going to turn a lot of people off from buying the game if the retail version of the game turns out to be significantly better.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3d-the-naked-sample-20100615024846789_640w.jpg

Never forget.

Put 3D on, then aim and put on first person. There's no 3D in first person at all and if you
have it on high, it destroys your eyes as the images come together. Terrible how someone
missed that.

That's on purpose as someone stated before.

In RE:R, I have to turn the 3D off whenever I use any rifles because my eyes go crazy when in 3D sniper scope mode, but at least I had a choice I guess.

KillGore

NO NO NO! It is not horrible! Just think about it: In reality, you also use just one eye to aim down a scope. why? because otherwise you couldn't aim correctly as you would see the gun twice.

it doesn't help either when the change from 3D to 2D makes your eyes burst lol feels horrible. It's like moving the 3D slider on-off constantly. xD

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Haven't played this yet (downloading now) but why do so many people like AA? The blurring it creates is AWFUL for me. Especially when I play something like Zelda and then turn 3D off only to see the sharpness go waaay down. I alway have it up at the lowest level of 3D just so AA is turned off

Nintendo should bring in the option to remove AA in 2D mode.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Haven't played this yet (downloading now) but why do so many people like AA? The blurring it creates is AWFUL for me. Especially when I play something like Zelda and then turn 3D off only to see the sharpness go waaay down. I alway have it up at the lowest level of 3D just so AA is turned off

This is one of the strangest things I've ever read.

You really believe that the left image looks better than the right?

far_cry_comparison_1.jpg

You're insane.

Just finished the demo. From these impressions, I was expecting far worse. Don't get me wrong, the framerate IS pretty shit, and the textures are nothing short of laughable, but the impressions here sounded like it was running at a constant 10fps or something lol.

Zomba13

Mmmmmmmmmmmm Jaggies...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
This is one of the strangest things I've ever read.

You really believe that the left image looks better than the right?

far_cry_comparison_1.jpg

You're insane.
Like I said, the blurryness that gets added with AA makes it not worth it for me. I cant be the only one like that. Feels like I'm missing details this way. Especially on 3DS the AA is a dealbreaker

What form of AA do these games use? Do they blur only the edges or everything?

sfried

The 3D is really weird in this game. Sometimes it looks great (no ghosting, no drop in image quality), but other times it looks completely flat.
I noticed when the gyro sensor is active, the 3D is disabled. Here's hoping the 3D will be disabled after a certain point...
after Big Boss losses an eye

My only disappointment so far is lack of gyro aiming (for the demo, at least). RE:R spoiled me.

It seems a lot of things are gimped on this demo (I feel many control options are missing). But its understandable considering this was pretty much the TGS 2011 demo. Still getting the game since it's close to release. Here's hoping for a proper |OT|.

Top Bottom