• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots 2.0 |OT| Kept you waiting, huh?

Yeah, I'm suffering through Peace Walker right now and the story isn't interesting at all so far. I am only in chapter 1, though. So far, the best part was finding Hideo Kojima in the back of a truck.

Carbonox

I've been playing through peace walker, not too fun tbh.

Question to those who have beaten it, is the story at least amazing?

Personally, Peace Walker's story is complete and utter wank - at least the bulk and real juice of it is. Terrible by even MGS standards.

So after re-playing MGS2 and 3 on the Vita, I though I might as well go back to MGS4 and get some trophies. Turns out my copy of MGS4 isn't working anymore. My PS3 just makes weird sounds when I put the game disc in. No idea why, but it sucks. >:I

Endo Punk

So after re-playing MGS2 and 3 on the Vita, I though I might as well go back to MGS4 and get some trophies. Turns out my copy of MGS4 isn't working anymore. My PS3 just makes weird sounds when I put the game disc in. No idea why, but it sucks. >:I

I thought my copy stopped working too because when I go into codec it would freeze every time, I just deleted the game data and installed again which helped.

iLLmAtlc

Been itching to play some MGS lately (you all know why) so I was contemplating beginning my Chicken/Flashbacks Run. Decided to screw it and just give BBE another try, I really love the stealth component of the game on that difficulty. Also played a little bit of PW today but the stealth just wasn't doing it for me, too easy.

Yeah, I'm suffering through Peace Walker right now and the story isn't interesting at all so far. I am only in chapter 1, though. So far, the best part was finding Hideo Kojima in the back of a truck.

I was so close to giving up yesterday. Got up to a bossfight in Chapter 3, spent twenty minutes shooting at it to no real visible effect. Just emptying everything I had at it, throwing a supply marker, reloading and emptying it all again (the game is terrible about conveying which parts of a thing you can destroy and which you can't). I eventually got to climb aboard it, and when it had one bar of life left it killed me with a bunch of missiles I had no room to run from.

I decided to give it one more go this morning, though, and I made a decent chunk of progress. The bossfights simply aren't fun, though, and you have to do one every half-hour or so. Using my best gear, and with about four failed attempts' worth of practice, it still took me fifteen full minutes to beat that boss. It's not exciting or interesting in any way, you just have to recognize the telegraphed attacks, wait them out, and get back to shooting weakpoints until you run out of ammo and have to resupply. I know that kind of Monster Hunter/MMO-ish gameplay appeals to some people, but it just doesn't do anything for me. I think I have a good enough understanding of the dozens of poorly-explained systems going on in that game to get to the end of the story, but if I get really stuck again I'll be going straight to a Let's Play and getting it over with.

I was so close to giving up yesterday. Got up to a bossfight in Chapter 3, spent twenty minutes shooting at it to no real visible effect. Just emptying everything I had at it, throwing a supply marker, reloading and emptying it all again (the game is terrible about conveying which parts of a thing you can destroy and which you can't). I eventually got to climb aboard it, and when it had one bar of life left it killed me with a bunch of missiles I had no room to run from.

I decided to give it one more go this morning, though, and I made a decent chunk of progress. The bossfights simply aren't fun, though, and you have to do one every half-hour or so. Using my best gear, and with about four failed attempts' worth of practice, it still took me fifteen full minutes to beat that boss. It's not exciting or interesting in any way, you just have to recognize the telegraphed attacks, wait them out, and get back to shooting weakpoints until you run out of ammo and have to resupply. I know that kind of Monster Hunter/MMO-ish gameplay appeals to some people, but it just doesn't do anything for me. I think I have a good enough understanding of the dozens of poorly-explained systems going on in that game to get to the end of the story, but if I get really stuck again I'll be going straight to a Let's Play and getting it over with.

Try doing the bosses in co-ops mode. I'm not sure if I could even beat them solo... screw that. I just have 3 other people come in to get it over with in less than a minute =P
Sounds like you are farther than me, though. I think I just started chapter 3. I've been making sure to S rank every mission along the way... so I've replayed a lot of missions over and over

Varth

Started doubting about the Scarab emblem. What exactly are the side rolls required?

Lie on the ground+TRIANGLE (snake goes on his back/on his belly)
Lie on the ground+X+stick to the sides (snake rolls and keeps rolling if you keep pressed)
Stand+L1+X+stick to the side (snake jumps to the side)

Which one?

Started doubting about the Scarab emblem. What exactly are the side rolls required?

Lie on the ground+TRIANGLE (snake goes on his back/on his belly)
Lie on the ground+X+stick to the sides (snake rolls and keeps rolling if you keep pressed)
Stand+L1+X+stick to the side (snake jumps to the side)

Which one?

Lie on the ground and roll to the side. Don't hold the button to keep rolling, just roll once and count one each time

Revven

Yes! Finally, I'm installing MGS4. Took some disc cleaner to actually get the damn thing to be read on my PS3. Before, it constantly showed the disc read error icon during installation and wouldn't go anywhere.

I haven't played MGS4 yet (though I did spoil the story way back in 2008 thinking I'd never get a PS3, most of it is a blur though) however I'm looking forward to finally buckling down and playing this thing after having played MGS2, 3, and Peace Walker. :D

Edit: ...And just as I'm typing... it's at 11% and doing the disc read error icon again! >_<

Edit 2: Annnnnnd nevermind. Fucking done with this disc. I think I'm just going to have to buy a second one... -_-

Edit 3: The joke is, my other PS3 games work perfectly fine on my PS3 (which is a fat 40GB).

Doing the chicken run, does it matter who I kill as long as I get the required number of kills? Not sure how to treat the militia here.

Revven

Okay soooo yeah, turns out, it was in fact the disc I bought over a year ago. I just bought a new one from Amazon and it's installing just fine now. :)

Can't waiiiiiit to get into this game.

Awesome, thanks.
Keep in mind that you need to give them fifty gifts in total (the exact number might be slightly more or less, I can't remember but it's to fulfill the Blue Bird requirements) and you also need to get the iPod tracks off them before you start to slaughter them. If however you've already starts to kill them, you can just put on the disguise and start giving the rations then.

Varth

Keep in mind that you need to give them fifty gifts in total (the exact number might be slightly more or less, I can't remember but it's to fulfill the Blue Blrd requirements) and also nee to get the iPod tracks off them before you start to slaughter them. If however you've already starts to kill them, you can just put on the disguise and start giving the rations then.

I'll just rush in to thank for the useful, and very smartphone friendly guide. Got my first 22 emblems this morning before going to work. Going for the second run tonight, after a bit of uncharted 3 for a break.

go me!

Soodanim

Try doing the bosses in co-ops mode. I'm not sure if I could even beat them solo... screw that. I just have 3 other people come in to get it over with in less than a minute =P
Sounds like you are farther than me, though. I think I just started chapter 3. I've been making sure to S rank every mission along the way... so I've replayed a lot of missions over and over
I beat all of the boss fights solo (except the last
Monster Hunter missions
, which I haven't tried yet), and they're all a complete chore unless you have high level gear. If you do want to S rank everything for the trophy (including Extra Ops), just follow a guide for order of completion and do whatever you can until you unlock
the bandanna, M37, Carl Gustav (and Fulton version), and Fulton Mines
. Of course that all applies to solo playing, which is what I've done for the entire game.

I can't even bring myself to complete all of the Extra Ops, as it's just a long list of vehicle missions after a point. There's not even any real variety - they're all essentially the same with different amounts of enemies to capture.

Nouzka

jww7iwIxd42AE.JPG

Wasn't that hard as I would have thought, for example only died once in the bike chase. Probably next gonna try to get chicken emblem.

You bastard!! :p

I second this motion
jokingly of course
. Hours of misery, despair, glimpses of happiness to be crushed by death and a signle second of triumph have occured as a result of that gauntlet.

Well done on the excellent run and getting the emblem (and well done to Femmeworth too!).

Ein Bear

Spamming smoke grenades really helped like someone in this thread advised. Also Solar Gun is useful.

Took me about an hour :( Hardest part IMO is the bit in the third section, just after you go past the two jeeps. You have to go up a long stretch of road full of Frogs, and I swear it doesn't matter what you do, the whole bit is 90% luck.

Nice work on completing it anyway!

Steroyd

Took me about an hour :( Hardest part IMO is the bit in the third section, just after you go past the two jeeps. You have to go up a long stretch of road full of Frogs, and I swear it doesn't matter what you do, the whole bit is 90% luck.

Nice work on completing it anyway!

Not with Smoke grenades, did it straight away when I started to spam the smoke greandes instead of the stun greandes from that point onwards.

Granted getting to that point without taking damage, with no solar gun or twin barrel shotgun with V ring ammo, was a pain in the ass.

BadWolf

Huh, never noticed that Rat Patrol members Ed and Jonathan were a reference to Ed and Jonathan from Policenauts. Apparently in the Japanese version they were even voiced by the same voice actors as from Policenauts.

The lines at the end of Act 3 about them being great partners and friends is straight from Policenauts as well.

Endo Punk

Trying to get as many emblems on my chicken run. I don't know how I did it back in 2008 because this is really annoying -_- How many playthroughs does it roughly take to get every emblem?

Huh, never noticed that Rat Patrol members Ed and Jonathan were a reference to Ed and Jonathan from Policenauts. Apparently in the Japanese version they were even voiced by the same voice actors as from Policenauts.

The lines at the end of Act 3 about them being great partners and friends is straight from Policenauts as well.

Loved the characters but they should of died at the end of Act 3.

If you alert the gecko in the very start of the game does that count towards your alert phases? I'm about to start the BBE run, may the gods have mercy on me.

SmithnCo

If you alert the gecko in the very start of the game does that count towards your alert phases? I'm about to start the BBE run, may the gods have mercy on me.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. (the alert box doesn't appear) If you are concerned about it, save after you finish that area and go into a briefing to see if an alert has triggered.

Carbonox

Can someone remind me how New Game + works in this? My playthrough atm just consists of getting used to the game again and getting the more gameplay-oriented trophies (no emblem hunting). Once I finish this, can I get everything to carry over to a new game that I change to a different difficulty level?

Thanks in advance.

Can someone remind me how New Game + works in this? My playthrough atm just consists of getting used to the game again and getting the more gameplay-oriented trophies (no emblem hunting). Once I finish this, can I get everything to carry over to a new game that I change to a different difficulty level?

Thanks in advance.

Once completing the game, you are given the option to save, then you load the completed game data which sends you to the 'select difficulty' menu and you go from there.

You get all of your previously collected items when you meet up with the Mk.II in Act 1.

Carbonox

Once completing the game, you are given the option to save, then you load the completed game data which sends you to the 'select difficulty' menu and you go from there.

You get all of your previously collected items when you meet up with the Mk.II in Act 1.

Fantastic, thank you! Definitely makes it easier.

Do they have to actually die? Thanks.
Bear Emblem Choke 100 enemies to death

Just grabbing them is enough. You can grab and release the same enemy 100 times for the emblem.

Just checked the emblems again. Assassin's emblem has the CQC grabs. Yep, just repeatedly grab, syringe the same guy over and over.
About to start act 3 and I'm at 2 hours and 4 mintues. Is the resistance trick necessary at this point or am I good to go?
Good to go.

Endo Punk

Got all the requirements for Chicken and Im starting Shadow moses now. Good now I can play the way I want :D And seriously returning to Shadow Moses is my No.1 gaming moment this gen, really hits hard once 'Best is yet to come' starts kicking in... and flashback audio :_; I'm gonna play MGS1 again once I'm finished.

Endo Punk

First trophy playthrough done! ^^

Knocked off Bear, Eagle, Hawk, Tortoise, Bee, Gecko, Scarab, Frog, Inchworm, Lobster, Hyena, Hog, Pig, Cow, Crocodile, Giant Panda, Puma and the most annoying of all; The Goddamn Chicken.

Smooth sailing from here on.

On act 3 of chicken emblem run... pretty much did everything aside from the 50 continues and recovery items although it's pretty close on that one. Have about 14 hours clocked and 1,000+ kills and over 150 alerts. The 50 continues is the worst part of it IMO.

I've decided to just get the trophies gradually instead of following some set path aside from the chicken run stuff. No hurry, and it helps pass the time to Ground Zeroes.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
On act 3 of chicken emblem run... pretty much did everything aside from the 50 continues and recovery items although it's pretty close on that one. Have about 14 hours clocked and 1,000+ kills and over 150 alerts. The 50 continues is the worst part of it IMO.

I've decided to just get the trophies gradually instead of following some set path aside from the chicken run stuff. No hurry, and it helps pass the time to Ground Zeroes.

I've found the least annoying way to rack up continues is either to jump out the window at the very beginning of the Raven fight, or kill Meryl at the beginning of the Mantis fight. Only takes a few seconds each.

I can't believe I died during the
microwave hallway sequence
in Act 5. -_- I think that is the one sequence in the game I loathe the most, regardless of the difficulty level.

Top Bottom