• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots 2.0 |OT| Kept you waiting, huh?

rataplein

hahaha "you are nooo heroo"

i'm also doing the chicken run. act 4, everything done except the continues (waiting for meryl) and the +35 hours... so snake is freezing his ass in the cold after wolf, racking up time.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I've found the least annoying way to rack up continues is either to jump out the window at the very beginning of the Raven fight, or kill Meryl at the beginning of the Mantis fight. Only takes a few seconds each.

Woo thanks, that'll come in handy for sure as I'm nearing the Raven battle.

Ok wow I just got glitched on. I saved at the mantis fight. I play, die and decide to go for a bathroom break. I come back after a few minutes and hit exit at the continue screen and go to load my game only to see my two act 5 save datas are gone. The begining of act 5 and right before the mantis fight, seriously wtf? Now I have to fight the geckos and ray vs rex again. So close to get this BBE and crap like this has to happen to me.

Steroyd

I've found the least annoying way to rack up continues is either to jump out the window at the very beginning of the Raven fight, or kill Meryl at the beginning of the Mantis fight. Only takes a few seconds each.

One wp grenade to a Rat Patrol member in Act 1 is another fast way, plus it's a 1 hit kill even on the Liquid easy difficulty.

I can't believe I died during the
microwave hallway sequence
in Act 5. -_- I think that is the one sequence in the game I loathe the most, regardless of the difficulty level.

Woah, never knew you could die there, I can imagine that being annoying if it happens near the end of the hallway.

That said that whole section is annoying after doing it the first time.

Despite that weird setback I still accomplished the task at hand.
3XqGb.jpg

Still have 4-5 playthroughs left but boy it sure feels good to get this one out of the way,

SmithnCo

Ok wow I just got glitched on. I saved at the mantis fight. I play, die and decide to go for a bathroom break. I come back after a few minutes and hit exit at the continue screen and go to load my game only to see my two act 5 save datas are gone. The begining of act 5 and right before the mantis fight, seriously wtf? Now I have to fight the geckos and ray vs rex again. So close to get this BBE and crap like this has to happen to me.

I had something similar happen to me, then found that the more recent saves were actually further down the list for some reason. But I see you already got the emblem, congrats!

I had something similar happen to me, then found that the more recent saves were actually further down the list for some reason. But I see you already got the emblem, congrats!

Oh god, I see mines and they were waaaaaay down below. I feel so silly now. I got so upset that I didnt even bother to check my entire saves list. Thanks!

Maddocks

Going for big boss, Im on act 3 with 1 hour and 30 minutes.

my question is....I have zero chaff nades.....am I screwed for chapter 4?

SmithnCo

You get one or two on the helipad, so you won't be totally empty at least. You'll just have to be slightly stealthier. Even without chaff I'm sure it's easier than acts 1 and 2.

Endo Punk

I never tried this but will on my next playthrough, if anyone has I was wondering if you hold-up a frog and begin checking them for items, do they mind if you err triangle them using a beauty face camo or will they still kick you?

I ask this because the BnB book gets their attention I figured the face camo would too.

Varth

22 emblems+Spider+Tarantula/Assassin out of the way. Flash-EFFIN-backmania done. Time to step up the game and go for the BBE.

I can't believe I died during the
microwave hallway sequence
in Act 5. -_- I think that is the one sequence in the game I loathe the most, regardless of the difficulty level.

Wait, you can die in there? Wow...

I've always wondered about that, really, because in some playthroughs I really didn't pace myself properly and my arm was so sore near the end of that sequence

Jawmuncher

Wait, you can die in there? Wow...

I've always wondered about that, really, because in some playthroughs I really didn't pace myself properly and my arm was so sore near the end of that sequence

I know back you could bring up the XMB to pause that scene and take a break if needed.
Can you still do that or did they fix it?

Steroyd

You get two chaffs at the helipad in act 4, I would advise you to at least save one for the boiler room after the Crying Wolf fight, otherwise you will experience some unneccesary grief.

Ein Bear

Nah, you should be fine. You get two chaff grenades on the heliport, I'd say use one in the Boiler Room post-Crying Wolf, and then one in the Casting Facility. Should be okay sneaking through the other areas.

Carbonox

Something strangely addictive about running around with the Young Snake face camo on, whilst listening to Zanzibarland Breeze, killing anything that moves (militiamen not included) TPS style. This Chicken Emblem malarkey is quite fun after all...

Speaking of, I've just arrived at Advent Palace and have carried out the following emblem requirements:

Bear
Eagle
Hog
Hawk
Inch Worm
Gibbon
Ant
Bee
Blue Bird
Scarab

I counted every thing (and still do via that helpful spreadsheet), so I definitely hope these emblems unlock at the end. 7 fucking hours of pissing about in the Red Zone. :lol 305 kills as well.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Something strangely addictive about running around with the Young Snake face camo on, whilst listening to Zanzibarland Breeze, killing anything that moves (militiamen not included) TPS style. This Chicken Emblem malarkey is quite fun after all...

Once I get my platinum trophy, EVERY run will be a chicken run.

You get two chaffs at the helipad in act 4, I would advise you to at least save one for the boiler room after the Crying Wolf fight, otherwise you will experience some unneccesary grief.

There's a fairly easy route through the Boiler Room that doesn't require Chaffs. From the door where you enter you run left along a catwalk and then press yourself against a wall to shimmy along a narrow platform. From there you can just follow the catwalk you're on towards the exit door, drop down to the level below you, and then roll off that level and you'll be right in front of the elevator. Once in a while you'll time it wrong and get spotted by one of the Dwarf Gekko patrolling that area, but I never thought it was worth using a Chaff on.

I always use mine in the Tank Hangar (I know you don't need one there, but I can never get the timing right) and the second area of the Casting Facility. The rest of the areas are fairly easy to either sneak through or kill the Gekkos with your M82. You can fire a V-Ring round at the Scarab patrolling the area with the bottomless pits just outside Rex's hangar to get through there without waiting.

Carbonox

Question regarding the time-based emblems like hugging a wall, crouching or hiding in a box:

Can you just hug the wall with Triangle and leave Snake there completely still? Will this count? Or do you have to move up and down the wall?

With crouching, can you just sit there crouched the entire time or do you have to move? Same with the box, can you just be prone and motionless while in the box?

Cheers.

Edit: Listening to Backyard Blues while chilling in MGS4 waiting for time to pass is uh...something groovy. Can't believe I never fully explored the iPod before. So many awesome tracks.

Question regarding the time-based emblems like hugging a wall, crouching or hiding in a box:

Can you just hug the wall with Triangle and leave Snake there completely still? Will this count? Or do you have to move up and down the wall?

With crouching, can you just sit there crouched the entire time or do you have to move? Same with the box, can you just be prone and motionless while in the box?

Cheers.

Edit: Listening to Backyard Blues while chilling in MGS4 waiting for time to pass is uh...something groovy. Can't believe I never fully explored the iPod before. So many awesome tracks.
Hug a wall and walk away. Same thing with crouching and hiding in a barrel/box.
Only the crawling one requires you to move for however long it requires.

Maddocks

I am having the hardest time at crying wolf. I cant for the life of me beat her. I was 1 hit away from beating her but the dumb frog heard me and ALERT! broke me.

any tips?

I would try to abuse the nade launcher/stun launcher but sadly I have no stuns for it.

Ein Bear

I am having the hardest time at crying wolf. I cant for the life of me beat her. I was 1 hit away from beating her but the dumb frog heard me and ALERT! broke me.

any tips?

I would try to abuse the nade launcher/stun launcher but sadly I have no stuns for it.

As soon as the fight starts, crawl under the truck that's right in front of you. Get your sniper rifle out, stick night vision on and then just wait. She can't find you under there.

Carbonox

Another question: Using the guide in the OP, it helpfully describes how many flashbacks per cutscene there are. If I were to get the flashbacks in a cutscene but there was still 10 minutes of the cutscene left, can I skip the rest? Or would I need to watch the whole cutscene, even if I saw all the flashbacks in said cutscene?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Another question: Using the guide in the OP, it helpfully describes how many flashbacks per cutscene there are. If I were to get the flashbacks in a cutscene but there was still 10 minutes of the cutscene left, can I skip the rest? Or would I need to watch the whole cutscene, even if I saw all the flashbacks in said cutscene?
You can skip the rest. It still counts.

Z3M0G

I was so close to giving up yesterday. Got up to a bossfight in Chapter 3, spent twenty minutes shooting at it to no real visible effect. Just emptying everything I had at it, throwing a supply marker, reloading and emptying it all again (the game is terrible about conveying which parts of a thing you can destroy and which you can't). I eventually got to climb aboard it, and when it had one bar of life left it killed me with a bunch of missiles I had no room to run from.

I decided to give it one more go this morning, though, and I made a decent chunk of progress. The bossfights simply aren't fun, though, and you have to do one every half-hour or so. Using my best gear, and with about four failed attempts' worth of practice, it still took me fifteen full minutes to beat that boss. It's not exciting or interesting in any way, you just have to recognize the telegraphed attacks, wait them out, and get back to shooting weakpoints until you run out of ammo and have to resupply. I know that kind of Monster Hunter/MMO-ish gameplay appeals to some people, but it just doesn't do anything for me. I think I have a good enough understanding of the dozens of poorly-explained systems going on in that game to get to the end of the story, but if I get really stuck again I'll be going straight to a Let's Play and getting it over with.

I did that battle this morning... I had no problems with it, but the one before it... the flying one... omfg... I couldn't believe they had put me up against another boss so quickly after that, and it looked so menacing... but it turned out to be quite easy to me. I guess I got lucky and started shooting the right spots.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."

any tips?

The RailGun or Akiba's Sniper Rifle are 1 kit kills for the B&B Corp. It also doesn't count against you on your BBE run since they have a second form.

iLLmAtlc

any tips?

do you have any normal stun grenades? if you have enough smokes you can still smoke her once, stun, then alternate between smokes/stuns until she dies.

Carbonox

My progress after Act 1 completed on my Chicken Emblem run:

Task - Requirement - Amount achieved so far - Completed
Alert phases 150 124 No
Kills 500 474 No
Continues 50 1 No
Play time in hours 35 14 No
Healing items used 50 33 No
Enemies killed in chokeholds 100 100 Yes
Headshots 150 150 Yes
Battle highs 10 10 Yes
Praise received from allies 25 25 Yes
Minutes spent crawling 60 60 Yes
Minutes spent against a wall 60 60 Yes
Minutes spent in cardboard box 60 60 Yes
Minutes spent crouching 150 150 Yes
Enemies held up 50 50 Yes
Enemies body searched 50 50 Yes
Enemies injected with syringe or s.plug 50 50 Yes
Items picked up 400 298 No
Items given to allies 50 50 Yes
Playboy pages turned 100 100 Yes
Forward rolls 200 200 Yes
Sideways rolls 200 200 Yes

I said god damn. :lol

Carbonox

Uh where the hell is Inorino Uta? It's supposed to be in the kitchen during the Act 1 Briefing but there isn't a single item in the entire plane. What the fuck?

Sushigod7

I just decided to read this thread and wow this is going to take me awhile to replay. I'm going to tackle after replaying MGS then going in order up to 4. Awesome OT

Maddocks

The RailGun or Akiba's Sniper Rifle are 1 kit kills for the B&B Corp. It also doesn't count against you on your BBE run since they have a second form.

Do I have to be close because I used akibas sniper rifle after failing for an hour and it seemed it took the same amount of HP as the mosin nagant takes away via headshot also.

didnt try the rail gun though.

do you have any normal stun grenades? if you have enough smokes you can still smoke her once, stun, then alternate between smokes/stuns until she dies.

I have 10 smokes and 10 stuns. I should try it out.

In about 2 hours and 30 minutes in(just starting crying wolf) Am I good on time?

Carbonox

Uh where the hell is Inorino Uta? It's supposed to be in the kitchen during the Act 1 Briefing but there isn't a single item in the entire plane. What the fuck?

Turns out when you return to the Mission Briefing menu in the main menu, you need to load your save before watching Act 1's briefing. If you don't and watch the briefing, you don't find any items. If you load your save, then watch the briefing, the items do appear.

Anyway, Boktai 2 Theme + Act 2 + Shooting everything that moves = Spaghetti Western feel. :lol

The easiest way to take out Crying Wolf is just throwing regular stun and smoke grenades. Once you find her throw a smoke grenade so it lands near her (don't hit her with it), and she'll open up her suit. Then, without adjusting your aim, switch to stun grenades and throw two. Smoke her again, then two more stun grenades and it's all over. She always spawns in a different spot at the start of the fight, though, so it might take a few restarts to get her in a good position.

Gonna go for the Assassin run soon. What other emblem can you achieve while going for this specific run?
I believe it's Tarantula: fewer than 75 alerts and 25 continues, more than 250 kills. Once you've got what you need for Assassin you just have to grind out another 200 kills.

Top Bottom