• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots 2.0 |OT| Kept you waiting, huh?

Soodanim

I counted every thing (and still do via that helpful spreadsheet), so I definitely hope these emblems unlock at the end. 7 fucking hours of pissing about in the Red Zone. :lol 305 kills as well.

Cool, I wasn't sure if anyone was actually using that. It feels nice when you see boxes start turning green.

The one thing I noticed about going for the kills is that you grind in Act 1 or 2, but then you rack up another few hundred in the other acts anyway. It makes me wonder if grinding is actually that necessary for it. At least, on the 6 or 7 other runs you have to do.

Yeah, it actually doesn't take any grinding to hit 250 kills. If you just kill anyone directly in your path and use lethal weapons for the various fights with the FROGs and the bike chase you'll hit it without trying. And with the easy spots for grinding out Alerts (firing loud weapons in the Tank Hanger ducts) and Continues (shooting Meryl over and over), it's almost painless.

Soodanim

The pain of those runs is more to do with the physical pain from mashing triangle. I eventually thought of plugging in my FightStick and letting turbo take over.

And the unskippable parts, like the 5 minute intro and the credits. Ugh.

rataplein

i want to play!!. but no, i have to get the +35 hours...

and i also don't like to let ps3 on for more than 4 hours (it's an 80 gb metal gear solid edition, priceless to me)

Carbonox

Beginning of Act 3 and here is my progress so far:

ukKk2.jpg

Easy peasy. Will do the continues thing during the Raven battle. I also probably have way more items but whatever. Best to undercount. Also, the "achieved" numbers are way higher but I just stop counting when I hit the requirements.

Carbonox

Now I'm pissed. Completed my Chicken run and the only emblem I didn't get was the Blue Bird. I know for a fucking fact I gave 50 items at least to militiamen. I counted every time I handed a recovery item to one.

Also, I didn't get that Flashback trophy. I followed the OP and a PS3Trophies guide to a T. Royally fucked off now. I am NOT going through those damn cutscenes again.

Carbonox

OK finally got the flashback trophy. Turns out I missed one in Act 2's briefing.

I only need 3 trophies now. Unfortunately those will have to wait until I get every emblem. D:

At least I can now skip every cutscene and just bomb through playthroughs. Doing a Panther one atm.

Stupid question, the patch and trophies is released for all territories right?

Thinking in buying it tomorrow.

It should be.

Maddocks

going for the chicken. on act 2 starting act 3. What should I do to pass the time? because im averaging 4 hours an act and thats me talking to otacon and walking around everyplace. Should I just crawl around from place to place to get my crawl time up and make everything last longer in general?

Carbonox

going for the chicken. on act 2 starting act 3. What should I do to pass the time? because im averaging 4 hours an act and thats me talking to otacon and walking around everyplace. Should I just crawl around from place to place to get my crawl time up and make everything last longer in general?

Pretty much. The OP has a great guide on how to go about doing the requirements. Regarding the 35+ hours requirement, just leave your game on over night or something to rack up those hours.

What are your stats atm? Have you been tracking?

Maddocks

Pretty much. The OP has a great guide on how to go about doing the requirements. Regarding the 35+ hours requirement, just leave your game on over night or something to rack up those hours.

What are your stats atm? Have you been tracking?

mostly just going for the chicken. because I do like playing the game so if it takes me 12-15 playthroughs, im cool with that.

alerts - 139
kills- 660
continues - 2 (going to farm the rage window)
items used - 45

I got 200 headshots, given 50 items, 200 side rolls. I also cqced 100 pmc and did the plug 50 times but instead of knife killing them I choked them to death . Next up is hour in a drum and then do hug the wall and crouch(can be done together right?)

id hold people up and frisk, but I just started act 3, so I fear I missed my opportunity for it.

Carbonox

Scored the Panther, Little Gray, Blue Bird and Hyena (oddly didn't get this in my Chicken run despite thinking I did) emblems on my second run.

All that's left is the BBE run and 5 more playthroughs for those individual completion emblems (will do Assassin emblem as well with the Tarantula run).

mostly just going for the chicken. because I do like playing the game so if it takes me 12-15 playthroughs, im cool with that.

alerts - 139
kills- 660
continues - 2 (going to farm the rage window)
items used - 45

I got 200 headshots, given 50 items, 200 side rolls. I also cqced 100 pmc and did the plug 50 times but instead of knife killing them I choked them to death . Next up is hour in a drum and then do hug the wall and crouch(can be done together right?)

id hold people up and frisk, but I just started act 3, so I fear I missed my opportunity for it.

I don't think so. I think you have to do both separately.

iLLmAtlc

Hey guys anyone down for boosting the Peace Walker online trophies?

Sorry for asking here but I thought there might be more eyes on this topic.

Carbonox

Chicken, Panther and Jaguar down, 4 more to go before I tackle BBE. I'm starting to feel the effects though of this constant playing. D:

I do like to see Big Boss's entrance scene though at the end of the game. So powerful and emotional, especially when he hugs Snake and calls him "my son". D'awwwwww.

Maddocks

Chicken, Panther and Jaguar down, 4 more to go before I tackle BBE. I'm starting to feel the effects though of this constant playing. D:

I do like to see Big Boss's entrance scene though at the end of the game. So powerful and emotional, especially when he hugs Snake and calls him "my son". D'awwwwww.

I still remember the first time I ever beat the game. I accepted snakes death as I felt he had to die to protect everyone he cared about......the the voice characters showed up and I was.....big boss? they gave his corpse a voice actor?.......dat epilogue.

I'm on act 5 but haven't met the requirements for the bear, ant, or gibbon emblems... are those possible in act 5 or will I have to do them on another playthrough? And if I do, will the number of those requirements I've already met, say I've choked 20 dudes, will that carry over on the same save?

SmithnCo

I'm on act 5 but haven't met the requirements for the bear, ant, or gibbon emblems... are those possible in act 5 or will I have to do them on another playthrough? And if I do, will the number of those requirements I've already met, say I've choked 20 dudes, will that carry over on the same save?

I think you can farm the same frog soldier for those. Keep waking her up then hold her up, etc.

Maddocks

quick question about the flashbacks. In the OP it lists all the audio flashbacks, do these count towards the trophy? because during my big boss run, when I was in the blast furnace elevator, the audio flashback never triggered.

so Im wondering if they count audio flashbacks or only the ones that have an X and the two secret X pushers.

Hydrargyrus

I've just started my big boss run. I'm now at the advent palace and I'm very scared about the ammo.

I have saw videos of what should I do in that place, but I'm very worried about wasting ammo unnecesarilly.

In the previous round I've bought all kind of non letal ammo, I have the solar gun too... but this scares me more than the ticking time

Maddocks

I wouldn't worry about ammo just yet. I abused my ammo on big boss and I finished with 34 tranq. bullets.

solar gun is your friend in the first frog battle. I only used it at the very beginning then switched to the MK. they say be careful with mk ammo but you get 10-20 in act 3 by following the resistance member if you do light searching while he's walking.

I refused to use it, told myself ill avoid using it on act 1 and 2. then I got to Meryl and the frog battle and I spent 2 hours failing because I would die charging up the solar gun. Once I used mk I flew through it(before the elevator to exit the building they have 10 tranq bullets) so use em, you'll get them back.

quick question about the flashbacks. In the OP it lists all the audio flashbacks, do these count towards the trophy? because during my big boss run, when I was in the blast furnace elevator, the audio flashback never triggered.

so Im wondering if they count audio flashbacks or only the ones that have an X and the two secret X pushers.

Supposedly the audio flashbacks do not count so if you miss them, don't worry about it. However, if you do everything else (beware of the briefings, it is very, very easy to miss flashbacks in them) and don't get the trophy, do them on your next playthrough but no, I don't think they should make you miss the trophy and I imagine that if you miss the trophy it is much more likely to be in the briefings than as a result of the audio flashbacks.

EDIT: Actually, Hydrargyrus, how much ammo do you actually have? On a Big Boss Extreme run you really do not need a huge amount because:
You should be avoiding enemies in most areas, only tranqing one or two in the way.
You should have at least fifty tranquiliser bullets starting the game (but if you bought the emotion ammo it shoots up to 250/300 I think so you should never even need more)
You don't need tranquiliser bullets in Act 4 (with the exception of the Beauty)
You don't use tranquilisers during the bike chase (which would otherwise be the most ammo-intensive area).
Most ammunition boxes are not too far out of the way of the quickest path through an area (a link to the list of where they are in each area is in the original post somewhere) which means you can collect one from whichever area you are in when you reach 10-25 tranquilisers without wasting too much time.

Honestly, the ammunition isn't too big of an issue and if you search enemies as Maddocks suggests it likely won't be an issue unless you tranquilise everybody (which will actually impede your progress as it will take too much time to do that).

So when it comes to the hold up/choke/syringe emblems... if I die and continue, will I lose the count?

Just trying to be careful. Also, on act 5, any tips for hold ups? I have like... eight FROGS that I have knocked out that I'm rotating between getting the chokes and syringes but I'm not sure the best way to get hold ups and body searches.

So when it comes to the hold up/choke/syringe emblems... if I die and continue, will I lose the count?

Just trying to be careful. Also, on act 5, any tips for hold ups? I have like... eight FROGS that I have knocked out that I'm rotating between getting the chokes and syringes but I'm not sure the best way to get hold ups and body searches.

The numbers stay the same even if you die. This will likely be the only way to get enough of each in Act 5, or at least the quickest way to do so. If possible though, I would advise not to die while trying to get them but it shouldn't be much of an issue and it's more out of an extreme caution than anything routed in logic.

Anyway, wake them up, let them stand, point the gun (hold up), press triangle (to search) and don't press triangle when it prompts you to do so at the end), continue holding them up, grab them (choke), inject them (syringe) and knock that one out. Then repeat fifty times (so you have hold ups, injections and searches) and at this stage you simply wake the soldier up, grab them, knock them out and repeat.

The numbers stay the same even if you die. This will likely be the only way to get enough of each in Act 5, or at least the quickest way to do so. If possible though, I would advise not to die while trying to get them but it shouldn't be much of an issue and it's more out of an extreme caution than anything routed in logic.

Anyway, wake them up, let them stand, point the gun (hold up), press triangle (to search) and don't press triangle when it prompts you to do so at the end), continue holding them up, grab them (choke), inject them (syringe) and knock that one out. Then repeat fifty times (so you have hold ups, injections and searches) and at this stage you simply wake the soldier up, grab them, knock them out and repeat.

Well, I know by now I've did it way more than I've needed to anyway. btw, does the syringe trick work? When you choke them once, they pass out, keep choking, they die-- then the syringe icon keeps appearing and you can keep using it on the same dead enemy, does that count?

Also, when they wake up, when I aim the gun they just don't give a fuck lol

Maddocks

during briefings, I just keep pressing X till it asks me to save. But I never knew about the secret X spots, so im assuming I only need those two.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
21447.jpg

70919.jpg

Cheers for the guide and tips on the OT. Incredibly helpful.

I've just started my big boss run. I'm now at the advent palace and I'm very scared about the ammo.

I have saw videos of what should I do in that place, but I'm very worried about wasting ammo unnecesarilly.

In the previous round I've bought all kind of non letal ammo, I have the solar gun too... but this scares me more than the ticking time

Ammo wasn't really a concern when I did it. You can use the MkII to deal with the first wave of Frogs and Johnny will give you tranq ammo if you're running low iirc.

Act 3 has plenty of pickups along the streets, Act 4 only needs a few for the bossfight (and there's at least one pickup too) and you only require ~10 rounds for Act 5.

Note that using the solar gun on dead/uncons. bodies will make them drop items, which more often than not happen to be anaesthetic rounds. Beware, they'll wake up after 2 shots. And if you do that, ensure the Solar Gun is full before ending Act 2. You're going to want it for the bike chase, the last part of which requiring at least a 75% charge alone.

one85x

Well, I know by now I've did it way more than I've needed to anyway. btw, does the syringe trick work? When you choke them once, they pass out, keep choking, they die-- then the syringe icon keeps appearing and you can keep using it on the same dead enemy, does that count?

Also, when they wake up, when I aim the gun they just don't give a fuck lol
I actually did the testing for those emblems in Act 5. At the beginning of Act 5, once you load up, crouch-walk and press against the wall (or base of the stairs) straight ahead of you. Two Frogs should walk by on your left and stand side by side. You now have a perfect opportunity to hold up two at the same time. After you've held them up once, lower your gun and they should lower their arms. When an exclamation mark appears above their heads, you can hold them up again.

For Bear, you only have to grab them for it to count. So kill one of the Frogs, then grab and release the other Frog 100 times for that emblem.

Lastly, Ant can be farmed on a single enemy. Since you're in Act 5, I'd suggest tripping them and doing a ground hold-up so you don't accidentally pat the wrong area.

iLLmAtlc

If you're not worried about speed ammo is not an issue, at all. There is a pack of Mk.2 ammo immediately after beating the Frogs, in the kitchen, to your left.

Once you get outside if you follow one of the Militia to a ladder (away from the main street), climb up, scale across and turn right, there's another pack.

Once you get past this part and to the final area of Act 1, there's another pack in the lockers in that house that takes you to the final park area (if you need a better explanation let me know).

I'm so paranoid about how the continuing and game reloading works. I really don't want to lose everything I've just did... I've spent about 3-4 hours doing the bear/ant/gibbon junk in act 5.

one85x

I'm so paranoid about how the continuing and game reloading works. I really don't want to lose everything I've just did... I've spent about 3-4 hours doing the bear/ant/gibbon junk in act 5.
As long as you're actually continuing and not quitting to the menu, it should be counting everything.

one85x

Okay so-- continue, takes you back to the last checkpoint, SAVE, and you're good to exit the game?
Yep. If you want some sort of confirmation, check the 'CQC Uses' stat in the mission briefings after you save. If you've been farming for the Bear emblem, that stat should be pretty high.

one85x

oh god

OH GOD
Just to clarify, dying and choosing 'Continue' does count as a checkpoint. You're 100% safe to save the game and quit at that point. It does in some way take you back to your last checkpoint in the sense that you don't lose any ammo or healing items, but at the same time it creates a new checkpoint saving everything you did before dying. You can actually use this to your advantage to get the 'Recovery Items Used' requirement.

Just to clarify, dying and choosing 'Continue' does count as a checkpoint. You're 100% safe to save the game and quit at that point. It does in some way take you back to your last checkpoint in the sense that you don't lose any ammo or healing items, but at the same time it creates a new checkpoint saving everything you did before dying. You can actually use this to your advantage to get the 'Recovery Items Used' requirement.

Alright. This works for me. Really appreciate it. :)

Maddocks

35 hours and 15 minutes later, I am done with my chicken run. now 6 more playthoughs with the stealth camo and ill be a member of the platinum club.

rataplein

35 hours and 15 minutes later, I am done with my chicken run. now 6 more playthoughs with the stealth camo and ill be a member of the platinum club.

me too!, done with the chicken.

now ill continue with tarantula anda whatever... probably gonna leave the big boss as the last one.

anyway, some of you collect camos?. like the weird ones?

i have (that i remember):

handprints
wheel one
carboard
wood (like a wooden box)
red and white strips
statue
and some of the funny looking fences and floors.

i will get the glasses camos this run though. i think there are 4. and the water one in salt flats act2.

WHEW

Chicken run AM FIN

Only emblems I didn't get on that run were the two related to the PMC's (giving items/getting praise) and the rolling forward 200 times. Will those allocations carry over into a new playthrough?

rataplein

they don't stack up between runs if thats what you mean.

rolling forward: pretty much straightforward. ive done it in every run without even trying. just roll in every stairs up or down, roll over obstacles, roll every time you change maps... easy

the praise one: just use a non lethal gun, and knock out every soldier you see in every encounter between the pmc and militias... you should be ok by the end of act 1.

the give items one: well.. just give them every ration/noodle/regain you have,,,, during the whole 2 first chapters. user your solar gun or tanegahsima to get more items if you are out!.

Thanks for the tips. Just wondering which run to do next... it's really tedious, the only difference between runs is the number variables. I think next I will do a "clean up" run, just go through again, getting Drebin points, flashbacks, the emblems I mentioned, etc.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Congrats brandon. I consider Chicken and Big Boss to be the most grueling emblems to get on the road to Platinum, so that's one half of the behemoths you've already conquered.

For that one emblem (50+ rations to militia), I think the best method is to play the game on very easy mode, because there's practically no limit to how many rations you can carry at once (iirc, normal mode only lets you carry 10).

To make it even easier, if you have enough DP, purchase the Tanegashima. If you manage to fire 2 or 3 Divine Winds (it's actually a trophy anyway), you'll be able to gather more than enough rations to complete the task in a single area. No mind-numbing farming required!

Hydrargyrus

Well, I'm in the third act of my big boss run.
My time is 1h 9 minutes... but now begins the nightmare.

I've read that the metal camo reduces the damage inflicted, is it true??

One more thing, is it helpful to use auto aim in the bike chase section?

Thanks!

Steroyd

Well, I'm in the third act of my big boss run.
My time is 1h 9 minutes... but now begins the nightmare.

I've read that the metal camo reduces the damage inflicted, is it true??

One more thing, is it helpful to use auto aim in the bike chase section?

Thanks!

Yes the metal camo does reduce damage, but you can't equip it during the bike chase.

If you have the twin barrel shotgun with V-ring ammo, it's best to use auto aim for the first bunch of people who shoot at you to almost garuntee not getting hit.

Top Bottom